• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

dreamfall

I really need to see a DF comparison video of CoD multiplayer to see if I need to switch my preoder or not. If it's this big of a difference I may have to shun my friends and go 1X on it cause Got Damn.

Wondering about this too...

It’ll be nice to have this machine around when Red Dead Redemption 2 launches. Until the forever wait for the PC version. We need 4K textures for everything!

Theorry

Do the devs already have access to the full 9gb of Ram? They freed up a extra 1 gig awhile ago. But iirc they said devs will get it later. Like in october sdk?

Fredrik

I have to say, comparisons like these make me think that 500 bucks for this machine is a damn good deal.
It's definitely starting to seem like a proper upgrade at least. The combination of these types of improvements plus UHD Blu-ray, HDR, BC improvements, smaller size etc makes me quite okay with swapping out my launch day XB1.

Zophop

The bump in texture quality is a huge difference, wow. Now I'm even more excited to see what they do with The Witcher 3.

Theorry

I have to say, comparisons like these make me think that 500 bucks for this machine is a damn good deal.

500 bucks for the stuff you get was always a good deal. As usual with consoles.
Even better deal if you have something to trade like a OG Xbox One and have been waiting for the X. I get like 130 euro back for my OG One. So 370 euro seems pretty nice for what you get. :)

geordiemp

So both pro and X drop to mid 20's when busy.

God they both desperately need a Ryzen CPU.

Not going to bother changing again until we get a proper upgrade over this gen.

And no, I am not saring at rock textures zoomed in, who cares.

Jaguar gen has gone long enough, time for change.

It dipped in 20 in one certain area. That doesnt define the entire system for what it can handle, even if that happens in a handful of scenes.

geordiemp

It dipped in 20 in one certain area. That doesnt define the entire system for what it can handle, even if that happens in a handful of scenes.

Still looks crap, its almost 2018, Fabs are going 7nm soon, it will all be junk pretty soon enough, the imbalance of CPU and GPU for both systems is glaring.

I notice frame rate drops much more than that circled rock in the distance on my 4K panny.

Wake me up when we get consoles that can smack out 1440p60 on such games and genres.

Still looks crap, its almost 2018, Fabs are going 7nm soon, it will all be junk pretty soon enough, the imbalance of CPU and GPU for both systems is glaring.

I notice frame rate drops much more than that circled rock in the distance on my 4K panny.

Wake me up when we get consoles that can smack out 1440p60 on such games and genres.

I really do agree. It’s sad to see. I’m hoping both get it right come their next systems.

geordiemp

You know that (way) better textures make the whole image look better even when not zooming in. You know it.

I had Pro for a year, and DF are zooming in the distance, on my 50 inch 4K set at 8 ft, no I cant see jack shit difference.

No I dont notice it, maybe I will when I get my new LG B7 soon, but at 55 inch I think for my room I would need to be 75 inches to see it.

Yes it is, I bought a Po for same reason, but I am still hungry for a Ryzen Console (anything please, beg on my knees, even 4TF, just give me 60 FPS sweetness)

Even with dynamic scaling on quality mode the resolution difference is huge.

3360x1890 versus 1512p for the lowest resolutions, and native 4k versus 2880x1620 for the maximum.

I said damn.

High res textures were sorely missed on PS4 Pro. They honestly do so much for the 4K image I found out when testing with my PC.

I hope lots of devs put high res textures on XBX versions.

The "still looks like crap" and "I cant tell a difference" comments are entertaining.

The difference is there and looks fantastic. I cant wait to get the X. Will def buy Shadow when I get the X. Cant play it on anything less. Thanks MS!

The "still looks like crap" and "I cant tell a difference" comments are entertaining.

The difference is there and looks fantastic. I cant wait to get the X. Will def buy Shadow when I get the X. Cant play it on anything less. Thanks MS!

I don’t think anyone is taking away from the X by saying the game still looks worst than the original. The X improvements are still worthwhile though. It’s just not the best technical showcase of a game. I’m looking forward to some AC origins comparisons.

RedRum

Banned

Jaguar gen has gone long enough, time for change.

I can't wait until this happens. A lot and I mean a lot of people in the XBX threads whined about the $500 point.

What kills me is that are people expecting the next evolution in console CPU and GPU to be like $400 in 2019/2020?

I had Pro for a year, and DF are zooming in the distance, on my 50 inch 4K set at 8 ft, no I cant see jack shit difference.

No I dont notice it, maybe I will when I get my new LG B7 soon, but at 55 inch I think for my room I would need to be 75 inches to see it.

Yes it is, I bought a Po for same reason, but I am still hungry for a Ryzen Console (anything please, beg on my knees, even 4TF, just give me 60 FPS sweetness)

You mean you don't stare at your TV from six inches way staring at grass textures?

Agreed on CPU and GPU, we need both to more powerful.

Tagyhag

Sounds about right, shame that they can't hit 60fps though.

Hell, not even 30 locked. They better not skimp out on CPU's next gen.

I don’t think anyone is taking away from the X by saying the game still looks worst than the original. The X improvements are still worthwhile though. It’s just not the best technical showcase of a game.

What type of game would satisfy people? From what I can tell, no matter what game gets showcased, people will dismiss it and throw out negative comments.

I know PC has its advantage with graphics, but the hardware is a closed ecosystem console. So for the X is doing, even a person not a fan of the X got to admit that it's looks fantastic.

nOoblet16

It's the radically improved art that most obviously sets Xbox One X apart from PS4 Pro, but Monolith's approach to 4K textures likely won't apply to every game. At the start of the generation, 8GB of GDDR5 seemed almost overkill - a mammoth 16x increase over last-gen. That's still a hefty chunk of memory to work with and as such, the difference in other titles may not be so pronounced.

I really disagree with this, atleast when it comes to Shadow of War. I'm playing on PC with the higher resolution texture pack and the difference is so minute that it's barely noticeable even when you take a screenshot and zoom in on it.

One of my biggest issues with "high res textures" in this game and even in Rainbow Six Siege (which has about 30GB of high res textures) is that while it'll add extra detail to textures that already have a decent to good amount of detail, it barely does anything (and in most cases nothing at all) to improve upon the low resolution texture work found in the base version. For example in the original DF video about Shadow of War, DF points out several low resolution textures that are quite common in the game world. Even after installing the high resolution texture pack these textures remain the same low resolution odd looking textures.

In essence, the high res textures adds extra details to things that are already detailed which can make certain things like tiny engravings on guns, fibres on clothing etc really pop out on a large screen. But it usually does absolutely nothing to improve on the quality of the low resolution textures that were originally present in the game.

I expect a high resolution texture pack to increase the standards of the lowest common denominator rather than leaving it be and focusing on things that are already a lot better than the lowest common denominator.

Dabanton

Textures are usually my main disappointment on the third party games this gen. We've had amazing looking character models and dodgy textures

So this is very good news. I hope DF will be looking at Wolfenstein II soon. The textures on the the XB1 version of The New Order were to put it politely pretty shit so I want to see the sort of top end textures the X1X version will be having.

What type of game would satisfy people? From what I can tell, no matter what game gets showcased, people will dismiss it and throw out negative comments.

I know PC has its advantage with graphics, but the hardware is a closed ecosystem console. So for the X is doing, even a person not a fan of the X got to admit that it's looks fantastic.
I just think the game is ugly artistically. The game is technically impressive.

shanew21

This is why I kept harping on the RAM over any GPU power difference between the X and the Pro.

The textures make the game look significantly better than the Pro. It's far more noticeable than resolution.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is why I kept harping on the RAM over any GPU power difference between the X and the Pro.

The textures make the game look significantly better than the Pro. It's far more noticeable than resolution.

I was doing the same and people kept trying to tell me it's not nearly as significant as the GPU difference.

Maybe people will see the light!

Space_nut

Xbox One X

Full NATIVE 4K vs pro
Greater LOD vs pro
Extremely high res textures vs pro
66% more pixels output vs pro
Greater Draw Distance vs pro

Sublime :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Gone are the days where people can debate which system is more powerful. They have the same class of components, it's apples to apples. A high end PC, then XBX, then ps4 pro, then ps4, and then XOne.

Colbert

Banned

I think too that this will be the major differentiator between the two consoles.

About the game, nice they have added the dynamic resolution as an option.

Top Bottom