• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

I have been playing on a pc with high settings and also playing on my son's ps4 pro and you notice the difference in textures and lightning.....the ps4 pro feels really washed out in parts...the game is obviously not made to be a looker but it's really noticeable on areas without much in it.

Looking forward to the x version

Syrus

Banned
This image right here, just this shot tells it all. There is a MASSIVE difference!!! I was honestly not expecting this big of a difference. From the cape detail, to the textures all around, to the lighting, the res, it seriously looks like different console generations! Does anyone k ow how to post these side by side, since Photobucket started charging for Image codes im having a difficult time figuring out where to get coding! :(

PS4 Pro
https://flic.kr/p/Yvrivo

Xbox One X
https://flic.kr/p/ZA9ugK

Ohhhhhh.......niceeee

Mr Moose

This image right here, just this shot tells it all. There is a MASSIVE difference!!! I was honestly not expecting this big of a difference. From the cape detail, to the textures all around, to the lighting, the res, it seriously looks like different console generations! Does anyone k ow how to post these side by side, since Photobucket started charging for Image codes im having a difficult time figuring out where to get coding! :(

PS4 Pro

Xbox One X

Would be great if they were wearing the same clothes. Pro has an exclusive smoke stack, that's nice.

The extra RAM on the X is looking really nice.

This game its self looks a bit cacky.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Pro has a house full of high Orcs, exclusive DLC.

Xbox One X is an older build I think, this probably would've been better waiting a few weeks for the One X coming out before doing the comparison.

Sadly, I cannot tell if this is sarcasm anymore.

cicatriz

This is disappointing. There's already a handful of launch window titles missing the 2160p mark and the console hasn't even hit shelves yet. I didn't expect an upgrade to a 3 year old last gen title to not only miss 2160 on X1X, but have frame drops into the low 20s. Even base hardware isn't having framerate issues. Lets hope final code resolves this problem.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Dam did they use the PS3 textures on PS4? Those are some shitty UE3 textures there.
They're bad by any standard for this gen.

This is disappointing. There's already a handful of launch window titles missing the 2160p mark and the console hasn't even hit shelves yet. I didn't expect an upgrade to a 3 year old last gen title to not only miss 2160 on X1X, but have frame drops into the low 20s. Even base hardware isn't having framerate issues. Lets hope final code resolves this problem.

... Shadow of War just came out a week ago.

Thebonehead

Banned
Also as a happy PS4 Pro owner, my biggest concern about switching back over to the Xbox One X for my primary game needs is I'll be leaving behind most of my real-life friends. My friend and I were just talking about possibly getting the new Call of Duty game. Well, he'll be getting it on PS4, but I want to experience the best version of it, so I want to go Xbox. This is a much harder concept for me to deal with than simple graphical differences.

Don't worry Cross-Play will take care of that ..

quietlyshedsatear.gif

Space_nut

It hits 4k native ;) Lol but keep trying

KageMaru

Higher resolution doesn’t directly mean 4K textures. No need for that, because a bit higher then it is right now is already better than those low textures.

They seem to put in a good amount of effort in the Pro version, so if they were able to add higher resolution textures, they would have.

Ask yourself this question,

Is the X1X version a significant upgrade over Pro?

If Yes, then no.

If no, then yes.

Even if FP16 is used, the 1X version should still be a significant upgrade. It's not something that will close the gap.

Of course it is because the gap in processing power is roughly four times greater, not to mention significantly more RAM that's also faster.

XBO X has 1.42x times the flops of PS4 Pro. PS4 has 1.4x times the flops of XBO. The difference is rather similar. Difference maker here is the expanded amount of RAM XBO X has compared to PS4 Pro. If it still had the same amount as PS4 Pro you would had probably seen only another increase on resolution compared to pro and not much else.

You sure you posted in the right thread? Shadow of War just came out.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
XBO X has 1.42x times the flops of PS4 Pro. PS4 has 1.4x times the flops of XBO. The difference is rather similar. Difference maker here is the expanded amount of RAM XBO X has compared to PS4 Pro. If it still had the same amount as PS4 Pro you would had probably seen only another increase on resolution compared to pro and nothing else.

That's a difference of 500 gflops vs 1.8 terflops. So while the percentage is about the same the difference in raw power is not.

brawly

Also as a happy PS4 Pro owner, my biggest concern about switching back over to the Xbox One X for my primary game needs is I'll be leaving behind most of my real-life friends. My friend and I were just talking about possibly getting the new Call of Duty game. Well, he'll be getting it on PS4, but I want to experience the best version of it, so I want to go Xbox. This is a much harder concept for me to deal with than simple graphical differences.

No graphical difference can beat the joy of playing with your friends. I've been in the reversed boat for a while, owning a Pro and Xbox One, all friends on Xbox. There's no way I'd ever buy a multiplayer game for the PS4.

XBO X has 1.42x times the flops of PS4 Pro. PS4 has 1.4x times the flops of XBO. The difference is rather similar. Difference maker here is the expanded amount of RAM XBO X has compared to PS4 Pro. If it still had the same amount as PS4 Pro you would had probably seen only another increase on resolution compared to pro and not much else.
What's the difference in ram?

What's the difference in ram?

8Gb vs 12Gb when it comes to GDDR5. Sony added some extra DDR3 RAM to Pro though that will handle OS stuff so developers have extra 0.5 Gb of GDDR5 available to use with games compared to standard PS4 (5.5 Gb vs 5 Gb). No idea how much XBO X allows developers to use but of course way more compared to Pro.

That's a difference of 500 gflops vs 1.8 terflops. So while the percentage is about the same the difference in raw power is not.

But higher you go with flops the less the absolute difference matters. For example difference between 100 gflops and 600 gflops is way bigger than difference between 5 tflops and 5.6 tflops. I mean difference between XBO X and PS4 Pro in flops is bigger than difference between PS3 and PS4 and yet no one would say we have gen leap here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
In terms of pure GPU load, targeting 4k versus targeting 1080p, the difference is very similar. It’s the increase in RAM and RAM bandwidth on the XBX that hold up the GPU more. bandwidth in particular is a major factor in modern GPU performance.

kinggroin

Banned
Because games are generally more important? The X1X looks far and away better than the Pro obviously, and that is great and I can't wait to get one. However, the game selection from Playstation is still far better in my opinion than Xbox so if I could only choose one I would choose PS 10/10 times. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that and buy everything.

This is also a very likely option.

Exclusives. Sony has a lot of those, and PS4 PRO will be the best place to play them for the rest of the gen. X1X has... very little on that front, at least.

I guess that makes sense. Bkoodborne is hawt.

But there's something so comfortable with having Microsoft at the lead of the horsepower race. Feels like last gen again.

I hope next Sony console is better.

Colbert

Banned
Its 3840x2160 when looking at the sky (sometimes) under specific circumstances. Tom said as much in the analysis.

If you disable dynamic Resolution in Resolution Mode the game is native 4K all time. What you mentioned is happening in Quality Mode with dynamic resolution enabled.

kinggroin

Banned

PS4 Pro

Xbox One X

Night and day difference. It's ridiculous.

I mean, why wouldn't it be? Future release usually equals higher specs.

Wii and Wii U make me nervous Sony won't be able to compete any longer, hardware wise

that's a big different. quick question will the difference be that big on a 1080p tv?

I would assume so, i mean all your sacrificing is resolution and HDR capability, but all textures and whatever else the devs made look better will still look better. MS already stated the One X will make games look better even on 1080p screen, enhancements are built in for you non 4K HDR folks. :)

Top Bottom