• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Snake Pass PS4/Switch Comparison.

Seriously, how old are you?

The game is on ps4 and the ps4 allows remote play to vita, so for people without a switch and with a vita it's a good option/substitute to play portable-y. Sheesh calm down.

He's not using a PS4. That's the PC version, which has nothing to do with the thread. People have no problem with him showing this capability really, it's that he's done it about 10 times now. Read.

Skyzard

Banned
He's not using a PS4. That's the PC version, which has nothing to do with the thread. People have no problem with him showing this capability really, it's that he's done it about 10 times now. Read.

I've mentioned it numerous times but you don't need a vita to do it either, you can use your phone, it's actually way easier that way if you have a controller mount.

PS4 to a phone or Vita could be decent too since it's not too dissimilar, worth a shot if you want it portable but don't have a switch.

I managed to place #5 and #13 on levels 1 and 2 on timetrials yesterday night while stoned and playing this way.

I kind of think 60fps isn't as good as 30fps for this (surprisingly) - it's less twitchy like this, you make smarter choices. 60fps you get a lot more input, it's almost a different game.

Probably helps to stream it at 60 though, it'll feel like 30, maybe a tad slower but still fantastic, and it'll look great.

It's pretty awesome that they updated the visuals on Switch to make them even closer to the PS4 version! Hopefully they improve the resolution next.

I've mentioned it numerous times but you don't need a vita to do it either, you can use your phone.

PS4 to a phone or Vita could be decent too, worth a shot if you want it portable but don't have a switch.

I managed to place #5 and #13 on levels 1 and 2 on timetrials yesterday night while stoned and playing this way.

That's cool. I never mentioned anything about the Vita though, but alright.

Do you really not see why your posts are becoming a bit annoying? The thread is about one version of the game compared to another, and you repeatedly bring up a completely different version.

It's no different from a comparison thread about XB1 and PS4, and someone banging on about the PC version. It's neat and all but not relevant to the discussion at hand. And no, the discussion isn't about alternative ways to play it portable.

Skyzard

Banned
That's cool. I never mentioned anything about the Vita though, but alright.

Do you really not see why your posts are becoming a bit annoying? The thread is about one version of the game compared to another, and you repeatedly bring up a completely different version.

It's no different from a comparison thread about XB1 and PS4, and someone banging on about the PC version. It's neat and all but not relevant to the discussion at hand. And no, the discussion isn't about alternative ways to play it portable.

You brought it up, I replied.

Most people with PS4s have a phone.

Playing it handheld is relevant since that is the draw of the switch version for some people with this title. It's made sacrifices on switch as the thread shows, here is an alternative. I'm sorry you find that annoying but that's on you really.

It only took the studio one week to port the game to the Switch and it looks great. If thats all the time a studio needs to invest in a pretty good port then hopefully more studios follow suit.

I thought it took 3 months? That's still a tiny amount of time though.

Taken from the OT thread

jMjIlTY.png

Up and running doesn't mean the port was done.

It's still an impressive accomplishment that shouldn't be undermined. Porting and releasing a game in a three month period while simultaneously shipping other versions is an amazing feat, especially for such a small team. The quote doesn't state the port took a week anyway.

Edit:Ah sorry I didn't see what the poster originally said, I just saw the picture he posted!

EDarkness

Running in a week, different to being ready to ship I guess.

This is true, but just getting something running is a MAJOR win. It took me a long ass time to get my game running on the Wii U. A real pain in the ass. Getting it done in a week is pretty amazing.

It's still an impressive accomplishment that shouldn't be undermined. Porting and releasing a game in a three month period while simultaneously shipping other versions is an amazing feat, especially for such a small team. The quote doesn't state the port took a week anyway.

And I said 3 months is a really tiny amount of time... The person who posted the image said the port only took 1 week.

Since the Switch version did get updated and it introduced some changes, I thought it fair to update the original comparison with a new one. You'll see similar shadow patterns are now shared between Switch and PS4.

https://youtu.be/32ADym9Za6o

Docked right? Docked looks pretty good from what I've seen. If they could get that portable mode up a bit more, I'd be in heaven.

Great game in any case.

This is true, but just getting something running is a MAJOR win. It took me a long ass time to get my game running on the Wii U. A real pain in the ass. Getting it done in a week is pretty amazing.

That's interesting. It always seemed like devs had issues with Wii U.

EDarkness

Might be Unreal Engine 4.

Just because you're using a standard engine doesn't mean you can simply port that code over to different hardware. My game runs on Unity and getting it to run on the Wii U was not simple or easy. There are lots of factors involved that can screw everything up. Getting all those problems resolved takes time. Even porting from PC to Mac is not always simple because maybe controllers won't work so you have to change code to get them working on each platform (as an example). Sometimes things are fairly simple, but this is generally not the case.

Skyzard

Banned
Just because you're using a standard engine doesn't mean you can simply port that code over to different hardware. My game runs on Unity and getting it to run on the Wii U was not simple or easy. There are lots of factors involved that can screw everything up. Getting all those problems resolved takes time.

I remember hearing UE has buttons where you almost just press port to whatever and it pretty much does it.

EDarkness

Can't remember where I heard it, don't know what it's actually like, but I'm guessing they made it easier.

It all comes down to tools and how they've set those tools up. Even so, there is no magic button. It takes a lot of time and effort to port games from one system to another.

pulsemyne

They had the game running in "roughly one week, a full working week." but that of course wasn't optimised etc. If you look at the stream footage of the game from a few months back the framerate is lower etc. So obviously some things needed to be done.
Still it's a testament to both Unreal 4 and nintendo's/Nvidia's tools that it was up and running quickly and took a couple of months to get it running at an acceptable rate. If switch dev kits had been earlier than they were then maybe they could have squeezed even more out for release but if they do keep patching etc then we shall see what can be done.
Amazing to have a full fat, very good looking, unreal 4 game on the go.

Skyzard

Banned
Out of all of the 30fps defense ive read, this is the most hilarious.

It's specific to this game where you need patience.

Guess it's not simple to understand as it's pretty unique like that, shouldn't be that confusing that you're laughing to yourself though.

Not sure why you think it's just a defense either, I can play it however I like, got the option with a 980ti.

EvB

You do know the game is digital on both platforms, right????????

You know flash storage is faster than a 5400rpm HDD right??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It's pretty awesome that they updated the visuals on Switch to make them even closer to the PS4 version! Hopefully they improve the resolution next.
We can only hope that they alternate working on each version, so the gap can continuously grow and shrink and the argument never ends! There's absolutely no limit to Snake Pass!

Nerrel

Since the Switch version did get updated and it introduced some changes, I thought it fair to update the original comparison with a new one. You'll see similar shadow patterns are now shared between Switch and PS4.

https://youtu.be/32ADym9Za6o

Thanks. Those shadows really add a lot, and the lack of them was the Switch's biggest shortcoming I saw in comparisons. It's really impressive how close they got to PS4 considering the power gulf. I'm curious to see how maxed out PC compares now.

Top Bottom