• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tech Analysis: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

I just think some people will never admit that a game on a console can hold up or look better than another game on PC.

That or it just kind of doesn't.

It looks to me like there are people who are ready to just start throwing out the claims of games from certain companies being the "best looking" way before we even see a lot of them.

It's a great looking game and certainly one of the best looking we've ever seen, but people acting like it is light years ahead of every other game on every other platform is just ridiculous. It's not even light years ahead of certain games on it's own platform.

And the only people being irrational here are the people who are offended by that statement. There are plenty of other talented devs out there who aren't ND. Dice and Ready At Dawn have both given them a hell of a run for their money.

SomTervo

I'd like to also know the analysis on MP, and if it's improved from Beta. The Beta looked good, but felt it could look a tad bit better.

I played a bit this evening.

Multiplayer is INSANELY clean and sharp. It looks lovely.

However, the slightly worse textures and lack of particle effects and moving parts really hits just how pretty it looks. It doesn't have a touch on singleplayer.

I hope co-op is closer to how singleplayer looks.

nOoblet16

Single player, and sure, but BF still has the edge in lighting, textures, tessellation, foliage and just general realistic art direction. I've never mistaken UC4 for real life but I have many times with BF.

The bolded are definitely not true, especially the lighting.
BF can look amazing on PC and a step up from console version but let's not forget that it uses the exact same lighting on both (you are wrong and biased if you say otherwise) and it's a 60FPS game on consoles...you simply cannot get lighting as accurate as a 30FPS game there. A lot of what BF does is to do with photogrammetry actually. As for the foliage, yes BF does amazing and dense looking foliage but it is not as dense as UC4, nor is it as varied as UC4 and neither is it as physically responsive as UC4 (yes it moves when you throw a bomb or if a player goes through but it's no where near as physically accurate), just look at grass in UC4 for example...by comparison BF doesn't do grass at all..

Also UC never goes for realistic art, it goes for stylised so not sure what your point is.

That or it just kind of doesn't.

It looks to me like there are people who are ready to just start throwing out the claims of games from certain companies being the "best looking" way before we even see a lot of them.

It's a great looking game and certainly one of the best looking we've ever seen, but people acting like it is light years ahead of every other game on every other platform is just ridiculous. It's not even light years ahead of certain games on it's own platform.

And the only people being irrational here are the people who are offended by that statement. There are plenty of other talented devs out there who aren't ND. Dice and Ready At Dawn have both given them a hell of a run for their money.
Nobody is saying it's light years ahead. It's just that whenever someone says it's one of the best looking games ever and suddenly we start seeing "Oh but it doesn't hold a candle to (insert PC game at 4K maxed out). I have a PC, I have a pS4. Battlefront looks really good. UC4 imo looks better with all things conisdered.

le.phat

really..? i have seen only some jeep driving footage and some sneaning section from this game and i thought it was really underwhelming, merely a small upgrade over previous Uncharteds and not a true generational leap.

i have been wrong many times before so.. can anyone link to some truly spectacular footage that lives up to all the hyperbolic praise?

Hyperbolic praise, in a technical analysis that explains exactly why this game redefining graphics not just for consoles, but for gaming as a whole, sure buddy. Please go look for footage yourself, nobody cares enough to try and prove you wrong.

I mean it's funny to me that when comparing 720p/900p to 1080p on this forum there is a massive unquantifiable difference. But when someone mentions 4k it doesn't matter at all.

How convenient.

I think the difference between 720p/900p in a 1080p screen and native 1080p is bigger than native 1080p vs native 4k*. It also would be like saying that TR2013 in 4k looks better than the latest TR at 1080p.

BF4 definitely doesn't have Uncharted 4's graphical quality, 4k or not.

*Source: I work with 1080p, 1440p and 4k screens daily.

Hoo-doo

Banned
sass1.png

sass2.png

Seems a lot like dick-waving to me.

You should save those emotes for when you've actually got a point, champ.

I didn't enter a non-U4 thread to start extolling the virtues of Uncharted. That was a thread specifically about Uncharted 4's graphics. Or do you disagree with the fact that reviewers are gushing about the visuals? Have you read the DF analysis?

All i'm saying is that it's getting tiresome for people to endlessly try and one-up each other in here by posting 4K PC screenshots just because someone shared the opinion that this is one of the best looking games ever. Let's just talk about the actual technical analysis instead of all the dick-waving. Because that's what it is.

LostDonkey

mind linking me to one or some of the shots from battlefront that you thought were real life? the subjective difference between 720p and 1080p is bigger than 1080p to 4k. that being said im not one of the people who even discusses the whole 720p/900p console wars debate. and battlefield 4 at 4k does not look better than uncharted 4. thats just crazy talk.

7hvq7uB.jpg

NO5Ua02.jpg

here's the gallery as to not shit the thread up too much. You need your eyes checking if you're saying UC4 is anywhere near the level of those.

http://imgur.com/gallery/B3D4C

More shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/134918970@N02 Scroll down

really..? i have seen only some jeep driving footage and some sneaning section from this game and i thought it was really underwhelming, merely a small upgrade over previous Uncharteds and not a true generational leap.

i have been wrong many times before so.. can anyone link to some truly spectacular footage that lives up to all the hyperbolic praise?

wCH7IBQl.jpg

The clothes physics are amazing.

That part where Drake and Sam take off their jackets is real impressive. 99.9% of games cut away when something like that happens or do a clever camera angle that avoids showing the clothes move while they do a model swap or something. Here it just happens

b0bbyJ03

Now that we've made it here I remember the old threads about the graphical expectations on the ps4 and people saying we'd be lucky to get maxed out Skyrim visuals. Lol.

I just think some people will never admit that a game on a console can hold up or look better than another game on PC.

Not all PC gamers are like that but there are some people that need to justify their expensive PC and will never admit that. As a PC gamer myself, I have no problem admitting Uncharted 4 is stunning and one of the best looking games out right now.

I'm not saying Uncharted 4 is the best looking game in all areas, PC games can have higher AA, AF, better textures, shadows ect but Uncharted 4 still does a lot of things extremely well and when combined with it's great art style and excellent animations, it certainly hides most of it's technical limitations, to make for a fantastic looking game, which is certainly among the best looking games, on any system and it just proves that a fantastic looking game is not always about having the very best technical features / effects.

Tomeru

here's the gallery as to not shit the thread up too much. You need your eyes checking if you're saying UC4 is anywhere near the level of those.

When both games are running, UC4 looks better imo. For every wow moment I had in BF, I had several more in Uncharted 4. We can compare whats going under the hood all day, but even DF said so themselves - it is the most impressive looking game to date for them.

Gurish

Is this a joke? :/

2thepoint

How someone could be a member of a ''hardcore'' gaming forum like Gaf and make such an idiotic statement like that is just baffling.

When both games are running, UC4 looks better imo. For every wow moment I had in BF, I had several more in Uncharted 4. We can compare whats going under the hood all day, but even DF said so themselves - it is the most impressive looking game to date for them.
This. Battlefront looks fantastic, but while it looks fantastic in screens, it doesn't look as good in motion when everything comes together. UC4 not only has great graphics, but the environments feel much more alive than in BF, not to mention the significantly superior animation.

I played BF on PC. I was more impressed with UC4, mainly due to how it all is delivered as a package.

But primarily, the animations in UC4 are in a different league to BF.

GnawtyDog

Banned

They're delusional then. You can have a monster PC but if you don't have a proper game to showcase the power under the hood, that's all you got, hardware. PC gamers have to mostly deal with multiplats that simply offer options from the base offering in consoles. The games are hardly optimized for the hardware under the hood since it varies greatly. It's no rocket science. DICE this gen is currently playing Crytek's role for PC gamers last gen. The dev that throws enough bones around to gush about - thus the hardcore PC gamers can't stop mentioned them. Still, the hardware is grossly underutilized (better wording, optimized) compared to a console.

Yarbskoo

The game looks really good, though the mud and water particle effects look off to me. Anything less than 16x AF is a bit disappointing, but it's still much better than nothing. Hopefully we get to play a 60fps version someday.

Corine

I've watched the video and read the article and they've never said it's the most impressive looking game to date for them. Did they say it somewhere else that I'm missing?

vpance

More devs should start using photogrammetry. Sounds like nothing but win for realistic visuals, yet at the same time doesn't seem to be that resource intensive.

Corine

They're delusional then. You can have a monster PC but if you don't have a proper game to showcase the power under the hood, that's all you got, hardware. PC gamers have to mostly deal with multiplats that simply offer options from the base offering in consoles. The games are hardly optimized for the hardware under the hood since it varies greatly. It's no rocket science. DICE this gen is currently playing Crytek's role for PC gamers last gen. The dev that throws enough bones around to gush about - thus the hardcore PC gamers can't stop mentioned them. Still, the hardware is grossly underutilized (better wording, optimized) compared to a console.

You sound like someone who hasn't paid attention to PC gaming since the 90s. None of that stuff you've wrote is true.

Gurish

I've watched the video and read the article and they've never said it's the most impressive looking game to date for them. Did they say it somewhere else that I'm missing?

Didn't read it all, they at least said most impressive on consoles.

Though imo even if the game was the best looking ever in their opinion including PC, they wouldn't say it as you can't really compare, like, you can say that even BF3 at 4K is more technically advanced, why? cause PS4 can't run it, does it mean it actually looks better? I think most people would say no, but it doesn't matter, because it's technically still more advanced DF will not say something like "most impressive ever".

"most impressive on consoles" they can with a clear conscience, but there is so much praise in the article, they actually said "the future starts now", obviously they are extremely impressed by it and see it as a landmark in visuals.

7hvq7uB.jpg

NO5Ua02.jpg

http://imgur.com/gallery/B3D4C

More shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/134918970@N02 Scroll down
Not photorealistic, but much more visually impressive than uncharted.
Also, you can't just give uncharted bonus points because it's stuck at a low resolution. Resolution is a massive factor of a games visuals, so it should be considered when ranking games by visual quality.

louiedog

This is one of those threads I wish I could send to the participants in two years so everyone could look at it and be really disappointed in themselves for how they spent their time.

This is one of those threads I wish I could send to the participants in two years so everyone could look at it and be really disappointed in themselves for how they spent their time.

What's so disappointing about debating on something we're passionate about?

Javin98

Banned
Single player, and sure, but BF still has the edge in lighting, textures, tessellation, foliage and just general realistic art direction. I've never mistaken UC4 for real life but I have many times with BF.
Didn't know that a realistic art style automatically makes a game better looking by default. I say we throw all unique art styles down the drain and just focus on photorealism.

I played a bit this evening.

Multiplayer is INSANELY clean and sharp. It looks lovely.

However, the slightly worse textures and lack of particle effects and moving parts really hits just how pretty it looks. It doesn't have a touch on singleplayer.

I hope co-op is closer to how singleplayer looks.

to be honest iam a little disapointed from Multiplayer - not get me wrong its fun all - but they turned it down to 900p in order to hit constant 60..

Also like BF4, but in BF4 is so much more going on on the Map. And its 64Players there..

OK Uncharted looks better even in Multiplayer Mode but not that better... And the highly complex physics System from Uncharted 4 is turned down also in Multiplayer.

With that all in Mind i ask - where is all the Performance spend in uncharted 4 Multiplayer to have it 900p @60fps?

VanWinkle

I'm REALLY excited to play this. Two amazing looking PS4-exclusives within a month of each other awesome (the other being R&C).

Gurish

Not photorealistic, but much more visually impressive than uncharted.
Also, you can't just give uncharted bonus points because it's stuck at a low resolution. Resolution is a massive factor of a games visuals, so it should be considered when ranking games by visual quality.

Aren't those super sampled pics that a PC can't actually run at 60 fps?

And judging by Gamersyde's PC videos of Battlefront it's not looking better imo, pop ups surprisingly are really noticeable, animations and models aren't more than OK, maps feels a little "dead" by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, BF looks incredible, even PS4's version looks better than most 30 fps games on console, but in no way it looks "much more visually impressive" than U4, I don't think such game currently exist, I think U4 is more impressive but even if you don't agree, "much more" is hyperbole, it's not a gen or half a gen for either side, so you can say it just looks better without getting into such hyperbole.

Battlefront looks great, but let's be honest-- it's really just a shell of a game. The animation is as basic as it gets, AI is nonexistent, world interaction is at a minimum. That eliminates a lot of overhead that you can shift to the visual department.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Uncharted 4's art direction is incredible. I keep seeing Battlefront mentioned, but aside from Endor and Tatooine, there's nothing else that impresses. I'd say on the whole Uncharted 4 is far more impressive with its character models, animations, and overall set pieces.

Just imagine if Uncharted 4 were on PC? It wouldn't even be a contest.

I'm REALLY excited to play this. Two amazing looking PS4-exclusives within a month of each other awesome (the other being R&C).

Same. That video got me pretty hyped even though I thought the first 3 games were merely "decent". 30 FPS is going to be a bummer though after getting into the series via the Nathan Drake Collection.

There's some massive hyperbole going on in this thread though. "Best-looking game ever"? I know everyone's excited for Uncharted 4, but let's be realistic. Then again I remember people saying the same about The Order, so I'm not sure what I expected.

Resolution is a massive factor of a games visuals, so it should be considered when ranking games by visual quality.

The parameters tend to vary from person to person, really. For some, resolution and IQ mean much more than the amount of detail and effects work. Meanwhile, for others it's the opposite.

One important factor that often gets overlooked is how believable a game looks in motion. It's an area where UC4 has a significant edge over Battlefront imo, but no screenshot comparison will convey that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Same. That video got me pretty hyped even though I thought the first 3 games were merely "decent". 30 FPS is going to be a bummer though after getting into the series via the Nathan Drake Collection.

There's some massive hyperbole going on in this thread though. "Best-looking game ever"? I know everyone's excited for Uncharted 4, but let's be realistic. Then again I remember people saying the same about The Order, so I'm not sure what I expected.

It's the newest game by an extremely technically skilled developer. Why would it not be at least among the best looking games ever? What game is so much better looking that any claim of Uncharted's place at or near the top qualifies as "hyperbole"? It's a completely defensible position even if not everyone will agree with it.

Loudninja

Yes those are some of the best looking game on consoles dont see the problem here.

Gurish

It's the newest game by an extremely technically skilled developer. Why would it not be at least among the best looking games ever? What game is so much better looking that any claim of Uncharted's place at or near the top qualifies as "hyperbole"? It's a completely defensible position even if not everyone will agree with it.

Agree, it's not like PC currently has its own exclusives AAA games that kills everything else by a huge margin (maybe Star Citizen will be just that, but it's not out yet), it gets the same games that were built for consoles only with added juice, I don't see anything wrong with someone thinking U4 looks better than them, doesn't mean it's not debatable, but it's a fair and not an hyperbolic opinion.

If someone say most technically advanced it is wrong as obviously PC games can be endless with their requirements, but just because you have a game that runs at 4K and 60 FPS with perfect IQ it doesn't make it automatically better looking than a game likeU4 as it's a factual thing, it's very subjective and some don't see dry technical details such as res and FPS as the most and only important thing when judging technical quality.

GRaider81

It's really, really nice looking and definitely one of the best this year.

A lot of of it really impressed me. naughty dog truly are the best, would be fantastic to see what they could do free of the shackles of consoles.

The only thing for me was going back to 30fps is pretty jarring and I did feel like there were frame drops in a few scenes and set pieces but overall it's fantastic.

ss_lemonade

I thought the Order looked amazing. From what I have seen, I expect Uncharted 4 to easily surpass those visuals.

I have a pretty decent PC, enough to max a lot of games so I know what good PC games look like.

Top Bottom