• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tech Analysis: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

GnawtyDog

Banned
SC has some pretty graphics but so do a lot of other PC games (including multiplatform). I wouldn't just label SC as solid just because it's a PC-exclusive. It's almost like you are saying nothing can utilize the PC's hardware unless it's an exclusive.
I did mention DICE w/ Battlefront. And last gen was all about Crysis and Crytek. Those are the most notable ones, the ones that generate the buzz... just like The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 are the most notable on PS4. We don't talk about Tearaway. You're just assuming.

But all of these things are something coveted and take up GPU cycles. How can you negate their effects on how a game looks?

I am not negating anything. The notion is that improvements in api's have totally changed the game - no they have not.

Renekton

Disagree here.

Exclusives don't necessarily mean a developer has a "leg up" on developers that make multiplatform games.. in fact, I'm more impressed from the robustness a game engine has for multiplats. Yes we've seen some PC games suffer because of developer deadlines, but some developers like Rocksteady/Rockstar go out of their way to make PC-ports utilize the hardware pretty well and it shows.
In the end though, GTAV still uses low-poly PS360 character models. Same with MGSV. Assets and environmental design have to fit the lowest common denominator. For a game like Quantum Break, it was speculated that some async computation was used, which gave some GPUs extra trouble.

HW-specific from ground up will always have the edge in getting the best bang for FLOP buck, although usually not enough to justify exclusivity for many use cases.

GnawtyDog

Banned
What dev does ROTTR on what platform is SE's call. Nixxes (widely championed in this forum) did a fined job with the PC version, adding extra effort in terms of taking advantage of the extra horsepower. PS4 will get their due in the holidays this year.

Point? All Nixxes did was standard fare PC porting. Not a straight port, or a poor port (Batman Arkham Knight, MKX).

In terms of parity, it's not always as simply throwing horsepower at the problem. I'll make a case with the infamous case of Watch_Dogs. Before this gen even started, much of expected development was eyeing the gtx680 as a ballpark figure for the coming hardware. This was clearly telegraphed by Epic's famous Samaritan demo, the first rendition of the Elemental demo with voxel cone tracing GI, and the first showing of Watch_Dogs at E3. When solid details about hardware expectations started to be revealed. there was a noticeable shift by devs to temper their titles to the reality of the situation, easily surveyed by the subsequent showings of Watch_Dogs throughout the media circuit until release. Devs were hamstrung from overexpectations and had to adjust too soon. It's easy to call it parity simply looking at res, but under the hood there's a lot happening that needs to be accounted for. especially in a first gen open world title with prominent multiplayer built in.

That's one possible explanation, of many.

Point? All Nixxes did was standard fare PC porting. Not a straight port, or a poor port (Batman Arkham Knight, MKX).

The Nixxes port goes above and beyond just adding higher res or Hz options. Besides the standard fare of more precise effects (shadows and tressfx for example), there's the option for sun shadows, extensive use of tessellation, and even implementation of DX12 and a new ambient occlusion technique.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The Nixxes port goes above and beyond just adding higher res or Hz options. Besides the standard fare of more precise effects (shadows and tressfx for example), there's the option for sun shadows, extensive use of tessellation, and even implementation of DX12 and a new ambient occlusion technique.

You think one bullet point in a word sheet still makes a $500 GPU optimized? Hec a $250 card is overkill. I asked for a stronger point if you were going to make one.

The point hes trying to make is that the pc versions of multiplats arent using all the extra horsepower in an efficient way when it comes to visual return. Market realities, budgets and time constraints ensure this

wesly999

Banned
The point hes trying to make is that the pc versions of multiplats arent using all the extra horsepower in an efficient way when it comes to visual return. Market realities, budgets and time constraints ensure this

Even if the PC's extra horsepower isn't being utilized, it still doesn't make it's games graphics inferior to a closed platform that's several orders of magnitude weaker in power.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Even if the PC's extra horsepower isn't being utilized, it still doesn't make it's games graphics inferior to a closed platform that's several orders of magnitude weaker in power.

Many would claim that no matter the max settings on say Quantum Break or ROTR on PC, it still doesn't look better than U4 on PS4. Whether it runs at 4k, and/or 60fps.

im not saying its not being utlized. Nor did i say uncharted 4 is doing things that cant be done on a PC. Im just offering my interpretation of the current debate

Javin98

Banned
Yea, I see that in this thread. But "look" better is very subjective.
Isn't that the whole point though? Which game looks best is up to personal preference and opinion. If we could all just accept that, this thread would be a lot shorter and less embarrassing.

must be an error on amazons part

No, it's been moving up a slot every day or so over the past week. U4 has been glued to #1 on the best selling gaming products chart for a week now. Other games may get there for a few hours or a day before PSN cards bump them out of there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You think one bullet point in a word sheet still makes a $500 GPU optimized? Hec a $250 card is overkill. I asked for a stronger point if you were going to make one.
Dude listed at least five ways Nixxes did a great job ad went above and beyond yet somehow, you only saw one and are sticking to your "it's standard porting" argument? Jesus christ...

GnawtyDog

Banned
Dude listed at least five ways Nixxes did a great job ad went above and beyond yet somehow, you only saw one and are sticking to your "it's standard porting" argument? Jesus christ...

Visit these 5 threads:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177146

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1204574

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175642

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047766

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105040

The standards have changed. Maybe some are just not up to date. I can post more. I hanged on that one single thing because it might be perhaps the only thing that might set it apart from other offerings based on a quick recollection.

Visit these 5 threads:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177146

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1204574

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175642

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047766

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105040

The standards have changed. Maybe some are just not up to date. I can post more. I hanged on that one single thing because it might be perhaps the only thing that might set it apart from other offerings based on a quick recollection.

So, after listing a bunch of recent pc multiplatform thread, including the one for Tomb Raider, all the other ones are pretty much the definition of a base port. The only other one notable is the Witcher 3, with the hair madness, which is more detriment than worth.

If you think there was a magical time before this one where multiplatform games were more feature rich, you are mistaken. Gen 7 was a turning point in fact for just feature parity, outside of fringe, rare cases.

TheExodu5

Banned
After playing for a few hours tonight...this is easily the best looking game in existence.

The image quality is absurd. Their anti aliasing method is borderline super sampling in still shots. It breaks down a bit in motion, but it's not very noticeable.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So, after listing a bunch of recent pc multiplatform thread, including the one for Tomb Raider, all the other ones are pretty much the definition of a base port. The only other one notable is the Witcher 3, with the hair madness, which is more detriment than worth.

PC settings are in there. No reason to post individual pics. Rise is more or less the same as those. Base port would be Assassins Creed Syndicate, MGSV.

If you think there was a magical time before this one where multiplatform games were more feature rich, you are mistaken. Gen 7 was a turning point in fact for just feature parity, outside of fringe, rare cases.

You should stop thinking what I think. Not to mention, you picked up on one of my comments and have strayed so far from the original point that I am not sure what we're even discussing anymore....whether Nixxes did a good job porting or not? Like wtf...that doesn't say a single bit about optimizing for hardware leagues above a standard PS4, like the other poster eloquently stated.

Yea, I see that in this thread. But "look" better is very subjective.

Ok to say to make a point, but do you believe to the contrary for the example provided? I'll assume a straight face answer.

PC settings are in there. No reason to post individual pics. Rise is more or less the same as those. Base port would be Assassins Creed Revolution, MGSV.

I've already explained in my last point my position on the ports. All the settings for the games are just extrapolations of already set features. The only concessions I'll add is that Quantum Break is a mess, the added hair effects on Witcher 3 do nothing to add any value, and I have stated my point about Tomb Raider. As for if I'm straying or not, we're still talking multiplatforms.

Tomeru

I've watched the video and read the article and they've never said it's the most impressive looking game to date for them. Did they say it somewhere else that I'm missing?

Sorry, it was implied by their closing statements. It's also what I took from their whole article, but again - that's just me.

DF always gushes over Uncharted and it annoyed me, but this is the first time I have to put down the fanboy sword and agree with the superlatives. These guys and gals clearly upped their game. Amazing!

Karak

That was an interesting read but they should have never talked about audio. Not sure if they were just attempting to hit on it but just wow. People sound different according to proximity. Welcome to 1999 lets go play Unreal lol. All kidding aside they could be just using almost all the wrong words to describe stuff in that section but...well that's sort of the point.
Other than that interesting.

Damn sounds so nice... Don't mind 30fps for sp at all.

Absolutely. For this game it totally fine.

I mean they always had a reason to.

I thought TLoU was big time (ignoring fps perf), but I found a bunch of multiplat efforts, a few Xbox 360 exclusives and God of War more impressive vs. Uncharted. DF had multiple articles about Uncharted nevertheless. I always felt Uncharted was a jack of all trades master of none deal with solid performance on PS3 at the time, but I see standout achievements here on PS4.

I thought TLoU was big time (ignoring fps perf), but I found a bunch of multiplat efforts, a few Xbox 360 exclusives and God of War more impressive vs. Uncharted. DF had multiple articles about Uncharted nevertheless. I always felt Uncharted was a jack of all trades master of none deal with solid performance on PS3 at the time, but I see standout achievements here on PS4.

What Xbox 360 games? Surely not Gears of War. And Halo 4 has great cutscenes but the in game stuff isn't even close to Uncharted 2-3. And I love Gears 1-3 and Halo.

Javin98

Banned
because he said this about Quantum Break a few weeks earlier, I guess.

and it's giving him the collywobbles.
Yep, seems like it's perfectly fine for him to have an opinion, but when others think Uncharted 4 looks better, they are really, really biased.

Just out of curiosity, Frozone, in case you plan on replying, are you L.Scofield on Beyond3D? You two have crazy admiration for QB's visuals.

noobie

Banned
Character rendering: This has become a very competitive field. Character rendering in many games including Halo 5, Quantum Break and Rise of the Tomb Raider has been remarkable, but Uncharted 4 pushes things even further

Shots fired.
Calling Kyle

derExperte

Can someone please confirm that there is no screen tearing in this game? I don't wanna watch the performance video because I want to be a complete virgin to this game when I play it for the first time.

Some are actually getting tearing and drops in framerate while most say they don't. I'll see myself in a few hours, hope it's an issue with their consoles or rare anomalies and not a repeat of TLOU PS3 where at first no one talked about the dips that were obviously happening a whole lot.

NXGamer

Can someone please confirm that there is no screen tearing in this game? I don't wanna watch the performance video because I want to be a complete virgin to this game when I play it for the first time.

From my tested sections and full playthrough no the game never tears and dips are rare and fleeting in action, triple buffering delivers the best consistency. Just let the game install before play as it is a long one.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
because he said this about Quantum Break a few weeks earlier, I guess.

and it's giving him the collywobbles.

RW9916U.gif

hesido

I'm not floored by the graphics yet, but the IQ is indeed superb. 1 and a half hours into the game and this game is going to take a long ass time to finish for me.

One thing I noticed is the cross fade between two scenes, which requires two renders in completely different parts of the game world. Nothing ground breaking but it really impressed me, how seamless it is.

Javin98

Banned
Treating water volumes as a medium for light and shadow: Crysis 1-3 do very very similar things for example.
Hey, man, is shadow dithering still present to you? I can't seem to notice it in this video and I even played the game in person at a showcase today. Shadows definitely have some jagged edges, but dithering seems gone to me.

lmbotiva

Has anybody noticed on the beginning of the game how nate and sam character skin looks granulated, this may sound weird but it looks like the dithering in the shadows but this time on the skin, this only happens on cutscenes at the beginning of the game

Top Bottom