• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Xbox One X Killer Instinct delivers the first 4K console fighting ga

Those particle effects needs to be optimized more for online play.

For comparison sake on a OC 1060. 60fps until too many things happens at once on screen.
I'm curious about what happens here when you leave everything on but turn off anti-aliasing. I know edges blah blah but playing at 4k honestly takes care of some of that.

And, really, saying it can't run at 4k isn't fair when it's possible to turn the graphics options down a smidge.

I'm curious about what happens here when you leave everything on but turn off anti-aliasing. I know edges blah blah but playing at 4k honestly takes care of some of that.

And, really, saying it can't run at 4k isn't fair when it's possible to turn the graphics options down a smidge.

"Never drop below 60fps at max settings"

Even then turning off AA gives it a small boost in the benchmark

790455-injustice-gods-among-us-ultimate-edition-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

Good god man.. what is this monstrosity from? Can't be injustice, right? Well whatever, you win.. *shivers*

Duderino

So I guess, they try to underplay some clear differences and overplay some others. At least, that one was a clear and tangible difference right in their own video/screens too...

Their coverage and evaluation is never going to be 100% consistent or accurate, especially with the number of games they cover. Yes, there is a glaring oversight in this video, but keep in mind the performance and visual features on display are not final. At this stage they absolutely should be more lenient and paint a broader picture.

Never felt that Digital Foundry has a platform bias, but they do place emphasis on areas that lead people to draw those conclusions. I find in general there is an order to their coverage, starting with attesting visuals and performance to the hardware, then 3rd party engine when applicable (Unreal/Crytek/Unity), and finally the developer's own advancements. Makes sense given their focus on framerate, resolution, and image quality, but I'd like see them flip that script more often and really dig into what the developer's are pushing in terms of tech. More analysis akin to their Horizon, Uncharted, or FFXV breakdowns so less advancements are brushed over or missed.

Synth

There was never a doubt that K.I would be 4k, people have been playing K.I at 4k on 1060's and 480's, even 970's can manage 4k quite fine on this title.

At this point I don't know why I'm bothering tbh... but as a prior 970 owner that also owned Killer Instinct... you are once again full of crap.

3OSYO.jpg

There's pretty much never a situation of there being "never a doubt" that something running at 900p can run at 4K on XB1X... if it was such a sure thing, it wouldn't have been running at 900p in the first place ffs.

EBE

i seem to remember the particles being downgraded from launch? maybe around the time of the 900p patch? can anyone confirm? launch KI had crazy particles, i thought, and now i dont feel that way

Show 'em this anytime some dumbass says "bububu resolution doesn't matter just more pixels :( :("

To be fair, these are still images. Motion makes it harder for your brain to tell the difference.

Also there is not a single TV set on the market with 4K motion resolution.

I'm still buying a 4K TV this fall though.

Marmelade

At this point I don't know why I'm bothering tbh... but as a prior 970 owner that also owned Killer Instinct... you are once again full of crap.

3OSYO.jpg

There's pretty much never a situation of there being "never a doubt" that something running at 900p can run at 4K on XB1X... if it was such a sure thing, it wouldn't have been running at 900p in the first place ffs.

Something must have changed from launch if a 980 Ti couldn't run the game @60/4k in your bench while a RX 580 now can
Edit: perf with NV cards doesn't look too hot though...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Doesnt count since its a last gen game but yeah..once NRS started focusing on current gen only with MKX, their art style seemed to have improved right along with the graphical fidelity of their games. They went from the worst art style in gaming with MK9 and Injustice to much better in MKX and one of the best in Injustice 2

People in here actually defending frame drops for a fighting game.

Last gen there were drops in FPS all the time, and that was during gameplay.

MK9 was considered a good console game technically by DF, and it dropped frames during super moves and even had lag time during xrays

Synth

Something must have changed from launch if a 980 Ti couldn't run the game @60/4k in your bench while a RX 580 now can
Edit: perf with NV cards doesn't look too hot though...

It may have changed since launch, but it was one of those DX12 cases (ala Quantum Break) where NVIDIA cards weren't fairing too well. A 980 Ti basically would be the minimum you'd want to attempt playing the game at 4K on the NVIDIA side, and tbh... it doesn't seem like that's changed dramatically, even with the newer cards based on a previous poster's (Zombegoast) presumably more recent 1060 results:

yQ2jZyf.jpg

My brother has a 970SLI setup (where this game would completely ignore the SLI configuration), so I could have him run it to get a more current result, but from everything I've seen, a 970 is not a viable card for playing Killer Instinct at 4K native. The game will actually slow down as a result of the fps drops, which is why when benchmarked, it'll flag it as "failed" and not let you play ranked matches.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah, it is. The best fighting game this generation for anyone willing to admit it.

KI is a great fighting game, but has the problem that it was released in a console that has no other fighting game beside DOA, and the game wasn't good enough to justify the purchase of a console for the SF, KOF, ANIME crowd.

In a world were this game wasn't tied to Microsoft, this game would have been doing wonders on a ps4.

Synth

Let's not get carried away now. There have been some great fighters released this gen.

That's not really getting carried away imo. If he'd said it was easily the best fighter this generation by miles, with no serious competition... then he'd be getting carried away.

There are a bunch of great fighters this gen, and you could make a case for many of them being the best this gen. Killer Instinct would belong in that conversation.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Doesnt count since its a last gen game but yeah..once NRS started focusing on current gen only with MKX, their art style seemed to have improved right along with the graphical fidelity of their games. They went from the worst art style in gaming with MK9 and Injustice to much better in MKX and one of the best in Injustice 2

Last gen there were drops in FPS all the time, and that was during gameplay.

MK9 was considered a good console game technically by DF, and it dropped frames during super moves and even had lag time during xrays
That pic is from a PS4.

sibarraz

Banned
I was impressed by how deep is Killer Instinct the first time that I played the tutorial.

Is obvious that this game was developed by FGC players at Iron Galaxy thanks to all the QoL features on training mode.

Also, the actual game takes a great emphasis on match ups, and also is very accesible since isn't execution heavy unless you want to play at very high level and pull manuals constantly.

Sadly, the game obviously had a very low Budget at the begging, had a boring single player mode at launch, and was released on a plataform that was not in the interest of the fgc. Also lots of the good things that I said before were avaliable after IG took the game, I remember that season 1 was not that good

KI is a great fighting game, but has the problem that it was released in a console that has no other fighting game beside DOA, and the game wasn't good enough to justify the purchase of a console for the SF, KOF, ANIME crowd.

In a world were this game wasn't tied to Microsoft, this game would have been doing wonders on a ps4.

It did pulled great numbers on xbone XD

It reached 6 million MAU on its peak. By contrast DoA 5 surpassed 10 million downloads yesterday, on way more platforms.

That's not really getting carried away imo. If he'd said it was easily the best fighter this generation by miles, with no serious competition... then he'd be getting carried away.

There are a bunch of great fighters this gen, and you could make a case for many of them being the best this gen. Killer Instinct would belong in that conversation.

Yep. I'm struggling to think of any current-gen fighters I'd put above it. (To be fair I haven't played Injustice 2 yet.) It's an excellent fighting game. Tastes are tastes, but it's at the least in the running.

(Also, as a 970 user I can state it definitely isn't playable with that in 4K on PC.)

KageMaru

No doubt it could be considered one of the best. I just don't think any fighter could be definitively called the best fighter out there now.

Synth

No doubt it could be considered one of the best. I just don't think any fighter could be definitively called the best fighter out there now.

Without the addition of obvious hyperbole, no subjective statement should be taken as a definitive one. Is it really worth mandating people append "in my humble non-definitive opinion" to every subjective statement they make, lest they be accused of getting ahead of themselves?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

AA, shadows, and reflections are all costly.

Though the way KI tends to fare from what I've seen with the benchmark tool, when you're on the cusp you either sacrifice *all* effects for resolution, or lower the resolution.

That's been my experience across a 750ti, (had to settle for 720p) a 1050ti, (Could hit 1440p, but had to turn all effects off to pass otherwise I could run it perfectly at 1080) and a 1060 (just scrapes passing on 1440p with all effects).

My 1070 doesn't flinch tho.

Let's not get carried away now. There have been some great fighters released this gen.

Sure it's outdated but his original comment was about a XBO launch title.

Yea I like KI a lot, but out of all the fighting games it's the hardest to get into for me. I wanna be competitive with it, but it just has a lot going on.

This 4K update will be a blessing. Will the one S get it too? Or just X?

Bsigg12

Yea I like KI a lot, but out of all the fighting games it's the hardest to get into for me. I wanna be competitive with it, but it just has a lot going on.

The S is the same as a base Xbox One. This is only for the X.

KageMaru

Without the addition of obvious hyperbole, no subjective statement should be taken as a definitive one. Is it really worth mandating people append "in my humble non-definitive opinion" to every subjective statement they make, lest they be accused of getting ahead of themselves?

No of course not. I was just commenting on a comment as that's what we do on forums =p

Of course not. There's a gulf in power between the S and the X.

Synth

No of course not. I was just commenting on a comment as that's what we do on forums =p

Yea sorry, I didn't mean to come off as combative.

It was just that I kinda read "let's not get carried away" as an implication that you didn't consider it a reasonable opinion to hold.

KageMaru

Yea sorry, I didn't mean to come off as combative.

It was just that I kinda read "let's not get carried away" as an implication that you didn't consider it a reasonable opinion to hold.

No worries! I know I can come off strong or overly opinionated at times.

Top Bottom