• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And here we go! My story refresher for both Diablo games is now complete.

Full Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL517434D31A9B209F&feature=view_all
Start with Diablo 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loqqoG1GAVE
Start with Diablo 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBkzOMeX-g

Essentially, I've got all of the major story footage from both games plus a little combat b-roll to keep things interesting. If you were looking to replay both games in order to get a refresh on the story, you won't have to because I've got ya covered. If you're new to the franchise and you want to see how the story played out in both games, this has got ya covered.

I put in quite a bit of time into this, so I hope you guys enjoy.

Fucking sweet, man, nice work!

Nostalgia overload :D

It's kinda weird how they retconned the Warrior's identity. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, and I don't want to know until I experience DIII's story for myself, but I sure hope it was worth it...I don't like retcons, especially when they are unnecessary.

It's kinda weird how they retconned the Warrior's identity. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, and I don't want to know until I experience DIII's story for myself, but I sure hope it was worth it...I don't like retcons, especially when they are unnecessary.

Indeed, the only thing close to this that I was okay with was Warrior being the canon hero of D1. That, I was fine with. My speculation on it is that they'll probably focus a little more on the Warrior's history, since (minor plot spoilers for the media blackout people)
Leah is the daughter of Warrior and Adria, and Cain is her guardian of sorts, combine with the running trend ever since Warcraft 3 for character focused stories and the Black Soulstone video and I feel like much of the story is going to focus on Leah and her role in the bigger Sin War. Given that, sorta makes sense to tie Warrior closer into the story, and contextualize his desire to return to Tristram in D1 and set things straight when Albrecht went missing.

Deadly

What's the details about the Warrior retcon again? I don't exactly remember.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I believe the retcon is that the Wanderer is the Warrior from the first game, I am not sure if there's another retcon that happened.

The warrior being the D2 wanderer was always the case, at least since D2 existed. That's not really a retcon, that's just story progression.

Lothars

Yeah I knew about that one but based on the two previous posts there seems to be more to it
From the Diablo wikia, I think I found what they were referring to
Diablo II
The Warrior from the first Diablo becomes the Dark Wanderer in Diablo II. You will meet him just beyond the Kurast Docks, though no interaction can be made and he will simply vanish with a diabolical laughter and a few minions left behind.

Diablo III
The Warrior reprises his role in Diablo III as the Dark Wanderer. It has also been revealed by Blizzard that the Warrior is named Aiden and is the eldest son of Leoric. It is now known that Leah is Adria's and Aiden's Daughter, it remains to be seen if it was after Aiden defeated Diablo, and if it was how much Diablo had changed him, that Leah was concieved.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I believe the retcon is that the Wanderer is the Warrior from the first game, I am not sure if there's another retcon that happened.

That wasn't a retcon. The Wanderer from Diablo II was described as the Warrior, indirectly, in the story from Diablo II itself. It was also hinted at in the story of Diablo II that Blood Raven was the Rogue, and The Summoner from Act II was the Sorcerer.

The retcon that I'm talking about is having the Warrior be Aidan, King Leoric's son. That's why the old Diablo 1 NPC dialogue about them looking for the king's son doesn't make any sense with the retcon in place.

Lothars

The retcon that I'm talking about is having the Warrior be Aidan, King Leoric's son. That's why the old Diablo 1 NPC dialogue about them looking for the king's son doesn't make any sense with the retcon in place.
I still think it's fine how it was retconned because they were still looking for the younger son Albrecht.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Other inconsistencies emerge with the warrior being Aidan. Like when the warrior kills Leoric, he says "Leoric, I'll find your son." Basically none of the townspeople ever find it relevant to refer to Aidan as the Prince nobody ever says "your father" or "your brother".

Metzen briefly spoke of the retcon in the Blizzcon lore panel. Basically just said it made more sense to have an identity, especially if Diablo was to expand into other media.

hobart

ZealousD: Great work. Watched D1 recap and I'm really looking forward to watching D2 when I get some more time. Really... thanks for this.

As far as the retcon goes... I'm a little fuzzy on this, too, having not played ANY of the prior Diablo games for the purposes of story.

After D1, it looked as if the soulstone that was taken from the slain Diablo was taken from a child. Was that child the missing child of Leoric? What's the name of that child and... if it was retconned that the Wanderer is the other son of Leoric (the Warrior of D1)....... what's that purpose?

hobart

Other inconsistencies emerge with the warrior being Aidan. Like when the warrior kills Leoric, he says "Leoric, I'll find your son." Basically none of the townspeople ever find it relevant to refer to Aidan as the Prince nobody ever says "your father" or "your brother".

Metzen briefly spoke of the retcon in the Blizzcon lore panel. Basically just said it made more sense to have an identity, especially if Diablo was to expand into other media.

So, slain Diablo in D1 = Albrecht.

Warrior from D1 = Wanderer in D2 = Aidan.

?

I don't agree that giving him an identity helps the progression of the storyline between D1 and D2.

ZealousD

Yes. The child that Diablo possesses is Albrecht, Leoric's youngest son. The hero is Aidan, Leoric's oldest son. Aidan becomes the Dark Wanderer in Diablo 2.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The Leorics are very good at being possessed by prime evils. Like, the best.

ZealousD

Well technically, Diablo's attempt to possess King Leoric was a failure. And he probably only possessed Aidan because he stabbed himself in the head with the soulstone. =p

Yeah, that was a bit of an unforced error right there, hahahahaha

I actually really loved the soulstone lore. Between what happened with Tal Rasha and with Warrior, I always saw it as "You can imprison a prime evil in yourself...but only for so long. Eventually, they WILL win."

There was also the misinformation aspect of it as well. I thought they had to use Tal Rasha because the soulstone was only a shard, not a complete stone, and that they could imprison one just straight up into a soulstone, but that misinformation had spread and made Warrior think that he had to jam that stone in his forehead to REALLY stop Diablo.

Deadly

Diablo III
The Warrior reprises his role in Diablo III as the Dark Wanderer. It has also been revealed by Blizzard that the Warrior is named Aiden and is the eldest son of Leoric. It is now known that Leah is Adria's and Aiden's Daughter, it remains to be seen if it was after Aiden defeated Diablo, and if it was how much Diablo had changed him, that Leah was concieved.
This totally confirms the theory/rumor about
why Diablo has a more feminine shape as he's totally possessing her. Though I have to say the feminine aspects are kinda unnecessary

ZealousD

You guys are getting pretty dangerous with the stuff in those spoiler tags, even if it's all unconfirmed speculation.

Aesthet1c

I actually really loved the soulstone lore. Between what happened with Tal Rasha and with Warrior, I always saw it as "You can imprison a prime evil in yourself...but only for so long. Eventually, they WILL win."

There was also the misinformation aspect of it as well. I thought they had to use Tal Rasha because the soulstone was only a shard, not a complete stone, and that they could imprison one just straight up into a soulstone, but that misinformation had spread and made Warrior think that he had to jam that stone in his forehead to REALLY stop Diablo.

So does that mean the warrior stabbed himself in the head with the soul stone in an attempt to contain the evil?

It's been so long since I've beaten D1, but I always thought he had the chance to destroy the stone, but instead jammed it into his skull in greed for the power it contained.

maharg

idspispopd
I think the official line is that Diablo was telepathically tormenting the warrior as he got deeper, and basically convinced him to put the soulstone in his head through that corruption.

So does that mean the warrior stabbed himself in the head with the soul stone in an attempt to contain the evil?

It's been so long since I've beaten D1, but I always thought he had the chance to destroy the stone, but instead jammed it into his skull in greed for the power it contained.

I thought I remembered there being some book or something somewhere that basically said the only way to contain diablo's evil was to do that. I could be wrong.

Edit: I meant an in game book, like the pedestals you would find.

Boken

Banned
I thought that Diablo somehow corrupted the hero's mind and convinced him that the only way to contain him was to lodge the stone in his head.

ZealousD

I think the official line is that Diablo was telepathically tormenting the warrior as he got deeper, and basically convinced him to put the soulstone in his head through that corruption.
That's how I remember it, but the game never explicitly says that.

99%

Ok I gave the monk another go after ignoring him since November.

Daaaaaaaamn. So good. They really got the combo feel down.

Every fucking class is good, total loss what to choose now for retail :(

TylerD

Ok I gave the monk another go after ignoring him since November.

Daaaaaaaamn. So good. They really got the combo feel down.

Every fucking class is good, total loss what to choose now for retail :(

And I was just going to post this. Every skill that has a rune on the monk through level 10 so far feels awesome. Unlocking a rune and then using it feels so great over the base skill. Better looking, more powerful sound, much more powerful feeling.

I don't know what everything outside of the beta content is like but what I have been playing feels excellent.

lordy88

So, I was watching the 2008 reveal gameplay trailer again, and I was reminded of the 'tab switch skill' feature where you could press 'tab' on your keyboard and switch the skill designated to your right-mouse-click. I have not seen in this is beta and it saddens me. Spamming skills with right click is a LOT more fun (and accurate) than using them on the keyboard IMO. Have there been any mentions of it seeing the light of day come retail?

desverger

Full Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL517434D31A9B209F&feature=view_all

Essentially, I've got all of the major story footage from both games plus a little combat b-roll to keep things interesting. If you were looking to replay both games in order to get a refresh on the story, you won't have to because I've got ya covered. If you're new to the franchise and you want to see how the story played out in both games, this has got ya covered.

Very nice, I'm having a great nostalgy trip here :)

Did they ever explain who the man in the beginning of Diablo 2 is? Marius? I don't think I spotted him in Diablo 1.

Velocity

I'm currently reading through the Book of Cain, so watching these videos are pretty nice companion piece. I'd never had the chance to play the first Diablo game so it was pretty cool to see a good breakdown of it in action. It's also crazy how well the Book of Cain added more depth to the Diablo 1 videos for me, especially when you consider the game is 16(?) years old.

ZealousD

Very nice, I'm having a great nostalgy trip here :)

Did they ever explain who the man in the beginning of Diablo 2 is? Marius? I don't think I spotted him in Diablo 1.

Marius wasn't in Diablo 1. Basically he was just a random person who was at the rogue monastary when shit got real and Andariel took over. He ran and headed east into the mountains to chill at that tavern until the Wanderer/Aidan decided to come knocking.

epmode

As someone who never managed to play the original Diablo, this is great, thanks.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Tristram music. Blizzard needs to throw a launch party and have a hardcore demon band playing that shit 24/7 while everyone drinks demon booze omg so awesome yeeeeeaaaahhhh

This totally confirms the theory/rumor about
why Diablo has a more feminine shape as he's totally possessing her. Though I have to say the feminine aspects are kinda unnecessary

There has been datamining that may indicate that
Diablo is not necessarily possessing Leah, but manifested in another female character who plays a primary role in the story.
I won't say any more than that, but it's very possible that they might throw us a real curveball. Even with the datamining that I saw, it's not clear what will happen - I'm looking forward to being surprised.

Freki

There has been datamining that may indicate that
Diablo is not necessarily possessing Leah, but manifested in another female character who plays a primary role in the story.
I won't say any more than that, but it's very possible that they might throw us a real curveball. Even with the datamining that I saw, it's not clear what will happen - I'm looking forward to being surprised.

Could it be Adria? From what I make of her journal it sounds like she had sex with the Warrior/Dark Wanderer after he rammed the soulstone into his head... therefor it would be plausible for Diablo to have planted his seed (quite literally) in her...

syoaran

Tristram music. Blizzard needs to throw a launch party and have a hardcore demon band playing that shit 24/7 while everyone drinks demon booze omg so awesome yeeeeeaaaahhhh

I was fortunate enough to have front row seats when they played it live at WWI08. Very awesome ~

ZealousD - Thanks for those videos. Now I feel nice and hyped for the game!

Could it be Adria? From what I make of her journal it sounds like she had sex with the Warrior/Dark Wanderer after he rammed the soulstone into his head... therefor it would be plausible for Diablo to have planted his seed (quite literally) in her...

That's the theory if it's not Leah. There are some textures of Leah looking "corrupted", but she looks more sick/zombie-like than the subject of demonic possession. There is also an indication that Adria is a boss (act boss or sub-boss, I don't remember) after being an ally for some time.
So there's definitely some twists and turns in the story.

Your Diablo 1 recap is fantastic. I had no idea there was all those story bits. I also now know where Lachdanan is from!
and now I expect to see him later on in D3

Macattk15

I never understand how Diablo keeps coming back. Diablo 1 ... he dies. Diablo 2 ... he dies and you smash his soulstone.

How the F does he make it back in D3?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I never understand how Diablo keeps coming back. Diablo 1 ... he dies. Diablo 2 ... he dies and you smash his soulstone.

It made perfect sense from D1 -> D2 but it'll be really interesting to see the resurrection of Diablo. It obviously has to do with the Black Soulstone.

Freki

Well - I have no idea how he comes back in D3 - but you didn't really "kill" him in D1 - you just destroyed his host - the young prince Albrecht - and rammed his soulstone into your head, which I didn't think of as a very smart move even back then.

Well - I have no idea how he comes back in D3 - but you didn't really "kill" him in D1 - you just destroyed his host - the young prince Albrecht - and rammed his soulstone into your head, which I didn't think of as a very smart move even back then.

well, I never put any points into intelligence...

Horseress

Am I doing something wrong or you can't see the skills details (like damage) in the game? I have to go to the skill calculator to see details when I need to ¬¬

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Am I doing something wrong or you can't see the skills details (like damage) in the game? I have to go to the skill calculator to see details when I need to ¬¬
You can turn it on in the options.

ZealousD

Incredibly convenient contrived plot devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom