• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

99%

It just feels odd I can't explain it. I never liked the monk in D1 either.

It somehow reminds me of playing Too Human, dude is sliding everywhere.

99%

You don't feel like he is sliding around?

It's good there's people liking him too I guess, but I have seen only a handful while playing beta.

I still can't decide which class to pick after playing so much beta it's ridiculous.

Witch Doctor
Seems to have the most potential as far as different builds and playstyles go. Play with pets, or without. The issues I see are a dependence on Soul Harvest, which seems to be OP almost. Also I don't really like the voice of the character, his posture and his sounds. But besides that this class has much variety and I love it (the armor progression is sweet ass too).

Wizard
Great, great feel while playing this one. Every skill and sound just has the right feeling to it. Very powerful, Arcane Orb seems a bit too much even... But I dont like the armor progression looks and I think the gameplay might be a bit one sided. Also everyone and their mother will roll a wizard it seems.

Demon Hunter
Love the fact that he has traps and is ranged, class has a nice feeling to it. But until level 13 there isn't a skill that I just love of firing like Dire Bats for WD or Arcane Orb for Wizard. Rapid Fire lacks the UMPF factor for me.

Barbarian
Best itemisation so far in the game, feels very nice to run around and smack things. I fear being forced into a tank role later on and as with Wizard everyone will have a Barbarian it seems too.

Monk
Lame class, please delete and replace with something else.
I feel almost the same way, Monk is such a let down, and it was my most wanted class, after playing beta the class feels incomplete.

Calidor

I still can't decide which class to pick after playing so much beta it's ridiculous.

Witch Doctor
Seems to have the most potential as far as different builds and playstyles go. Play with pets, or without. The issues I see are a dependence on Soul Harvest, which seems to be OP almost. Also I don't really like the voice of the character, his posture and his sounds. But besides that this class has much variety and I love it (the armor progression is sweet ass too).

Wizard
Great, great feel while playing this one. Every skill and sound just has the right feeling to it. Very powerful, Arcane Orb seems a bit too much even... But I dont like the armor progression looks and I think the gameplay might be a bit one sided. Also everyone and their mother will roll a wizard it seems.

Demon Hunter
Love the fact that he has traps and is ranged, class has a nice feeling to it. But until level 13 there isn't a skill that I just love of firing like Dire Bats for WD or Arcane Orb for Wizard. Rapid Fire lacks the UMPF factor for me.

Barbarian
Best itemisation so far in the game, feels very nice to run around and smack things. I fear being forced into a tank role later on and as with Wizard everyone will have a Barbarian it seems too.

Monk
Lame class, please delete and replace with something else.

Haha you described me perfectly!

I'm probably going for a main Wizard and Alt/HC Barb

PS: I agree, Monk is shit

hobart

I used to be a Monk hater. I am now a Monk lover.

I've played a bunch. Gave Monk another shot... and now I think he fits really well. It's really all about playstyle. For those of you who have spent a significant amount of time with the beta... specifically focusing on different playstyles within certain classes... you can really get a feel as to what Diablo is trying to do with each class. Simply put... some skills just do NOT go with one another.

Once you get a feel for how you like a character to play and combine that with your particular style... the game really fits like a glove.

To further cement this, I can honestly see myself rolling and maining ANY of the 5 current classes. That's how much I love each class. And I know for a fact, that my skill choices may very well vary GREATLY from the next person. Love it.

And let me make this clear... I HATED Monk and Wizard for a LONG time. Now I love them. It's about putting the right skills with the right keybind. I've done a couple quirky things that may be unique to me (binding keys near the shift button, mapping move-only) that have really made the characters feel a whole lot more useful to me.

garath

The Demon hunter and monk are probably my favorite classes. I like the Wizard the least - too slow, range too small. Barbarian is high on my list as well.

I am hard pressed deciding what to play come release. Leaning Demon hunter to duo with my friend and a monk or Barbarian to solo and jump in random co-ops with.

Considering they already have 3 exspansions for d3 planned i can't imagine we wont see some of the missing stuff from d2 at some point. Some kind heavily armored sword and shield user like the pally and probably a dark magic like user similar to the necro.

I am curious how these classes will evolve as they are leveled up and get better gear though so I am unable to pick what i want to play yet.

Raide

Considering they already have 3 exspansions for d3 planned i can't imagine we wont see some of the missing stuff from d2 at some point. Some kind heavily armored sword and shield user like the pally and probably a dark magic like user similar to the necro.

I am curious how these classes will evolve as they are leveled up and get better gear though so I am unable to pick what i want to play yet.

Would prefer Druid to make a comeback. Necro and Pala is kinda already around with the Monk and WD (Of sorts)

Would prefer Druid to make a comeback. Necro and Pala is kinda already around with the Monk and WD (Of sorts)

I was thinking about druid but the WD is kind of a meld of necro and druid so i was trying to think of parts of the classes that aren't represented. Probably be between a pure dark magic user with no summons and a shape shift druid since the other parts of the two classes are represented. I would be down with any of them though really and im sure with 3 exspansions planned + whatever else they add we will get more then a couple new classes.

Raide

I was thinking about druid but the WD is kind of a meld of necro and druid so i was trying to think of parts of the classes that aren't represented. Probably be between a pure dark magic user with no summons and a shape shift druid since the other parts of the two classes are represented. I would be down with any of them though really and im sure with 3 exspansions planned + whatever else they add we will get more then a couple new classes.

An expanded Shape-shifting Druid could be pretty awesome. Loved playing one in D2.

Lothars

I thought they had two expansions planned but either way I suspect each expansion we will get 2 classes with the Druid and Paladin making a reappearance as well as stuff like charms coming back.

An expanded Shape-shifting Druid could be pretty awesome. Loved playing one in D2.

Yeah i agree, was always more fond of shapeshift druids then the elemental ones. Something about ele druids seemed silly and out of place to me. Although i guess a pally teleporting around throwing magical 1 shot hammers was just as bad if not worse then a druid throwing rapid fire tornados.

Think it was 3 on the leaked blizzard memo that ended up pretty much getting everything right so far, I could be remembering wrong though as it was some time ago.

The problem with the Druid is that WoW's Druid took tons of inspiration from the D2 class, and Blizzard would probably want to differentiate their design.

A Ranger-type class wouldn't surprise me- taking aspects of the Hunter(WoW) and Druid and making something unique.

edit: The leaked Blizzard memo had two expansions on deck. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=173254

I would be down with a more traditional ranger class, kind of like what everquest 1 had with bow + nature spells and some minor pet stuff.

You are correct on the 2 xp, I must of remembered it wrong.

LordCanti

I can't see myself playing a Barbarian. I'd be a nervous wreck waiting for the next health orb, and without being able to spam potions, I don't know how long I'd last. One lag spike and it seems like it would be over. I maxed a barb in D2 though, so I can't say I'm not considering it.

I'm really between DH and Wizard. Both seem overpowered due to how fast they regen energy (hatred/fury/whatever). With the rune that makes rapid shot take less hatred (or whatever it uses) I was taking the boss down about half way with a measly 40 or so DPS before needing to fire off a couple bola's to regen it. Combined with Caltrops and bola shot, nothing could really touch me. The same goes for using Arcane Orb's as a Wizard. I could see myself as a higher level player of either class, standing back a bit and doing pretty extensive damage.

WD and Monk didn't appeal to me at all.

with the concentration more on a small group of pets and the elemental-ish spells like Fire Bats, WD reminds me more of Druid than it does Necro. When I first saw it I thought it looked like Necro, but when I played it, Druid kept coming to mind.

TylerD

Deets:

The Diablo III beta is currently undergoing maintenance as we prepare to deploy the next beta patch. We anticipate that downtime will last for about 8 to 9 hours, until approximately 8:00 p.m./9:00 p.m. PDT.
Please note that Beta Patch 16 will include a character wipe. As with previous character wipes, this wipe will also affect gold, achievements, items, followers, and artisans.

Thank you for your patience!

Realyn

Read through the last pages and stumbled on the class post. Sadly I never had the chance to play the beta. I'm gonna start HC right away and thought about a DH first.
Don't get me wrong, most likely I'll die the first time before I even get to Diablo, but a ranged class should be good to get a "feeling" for the game.

Is a DH really that boring to play? Or are the other classes more exciting? Could someone compare a DH<>Amazon ?

Read through the last pages and stumbled on the class post. Sadly I never had the chance to play the beta. I'm gonna start HC right away and thought about a DH first.
Don't get me wrong, most likely I'll die the first time before I even get to Diablo, but a ranged class should be good to get a "feeling" for the game.

Is a DH really that boring to play? Or are the other classes more exciting? Could someone compare a DH<>Amazon ?

I think its hard to really make a decision based off the beta, its an extremely small piece of the game and alot of skills and how said skills work together + itemization later on will play a large part in how these classes shape up.

Artanisix

I found DH very fun.

The fact of the matter is that all the classes are wildly different, and it's hard to say which class that YOU specifically will find enjoyable without YOU specifically trying out the class. You're bound to find at least one class that you love to play.

DH feels more like a cross between Amazon and Assassin. Obviously got all the bow attacks, but DH also has the traps and such from Assassin.

garath

I think its hard to really make a decision based off the beta, its an extremely small piece of the game and alot of skills and how said skills work together + itemization later on will play a large part in how these classes shape up.

It really is. The classes are barely even coming into their own by lvl 10 and 13 just isnt enough to get a good picture of how the class is going to play out.

Realyn

DH feels more like a cross between Amazon and Assassin. Obviously got all the bow attacks, but DH also has the traps and such from Assassin.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Especially with tumble(? the roll) you are very mobile. I'm just a bit confused, because I read something like "DH is boring, just auto attacking" sooo often. On paper the DH looks way more than the Amazon in D2 ever has been.

Really looking forward to play her. Or the Barb ... or the Wiz... ah goddamn.

edit: are there still beta key throwaways or did I completly miss that? Didn't had that much time the last one-two months.

My favorite D2 builds were firewall sorc and lightning trap ass, leaning towards DH trap build even though honestly it sounds quite boring to me for some reason.

I have yet to play the beta, but I love the female DH animations, so that basically has me won over a tad. Wizard is a very close second I think.

I mean just think of the kind of characters you had in d2 at level 13 compared to when you got them higher level. Even items alone can cause a character build to evolve greatly over the course of the game and that's not including the ability to no mix and match skills to find ones that work together better as well as just the general idea of unlocking more toys as you level.

As for demon hunter being boring, the only thing the vast majority of bowazons used in d2 was multishot and aimed arrow lol.

DH is fun. Honestly I've found all of the classes fun by the time they're maxed out in the beta. Some of them (like DH) have a lame first couple of levels, but that's like an hour of game time, so who cares.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Especially with tumble(? the roll) you are very mobile. I'm just a bit confused, because I read something like "DH is boring, just auto attacking" sooo often. On paper the DH looks way more than the Amazon in D2 ever has been.

Really looking forward to play her. Or the Barb ... or the Wiz... ah goddamn.

edit: are there still beta key throwaways or did I completly miss that? Didn't had that much time the last one-two months.

DH is boring like ALL the classes in D3 are boring. for the first 5 or so levels. Once you unlock a handful of skills and have more than 2 to work with at a time, the game really opens up gameplay wise. I really think the most limiting thing isn't even the number of skills, but the number of simultaneous active skills in the very beginning.

99%

I dont think you can do HC from the start.

And as everyone says, around level 13 all classes are cool. Thats why I can't decide. (except monk ovbviously)

Ricker

I never got a key for the beta. :( I was flagged in battle.net, but now there is just "Diablo 3" as "my game" but no beta...

Can't you start downloading it? if it's in your game list,download it and start playing(not now because it's down for patch)...that is how I got in....you log in the game with your account ID and password.

Thrakier

Can't you start downloading it? if it's in your game list,download it and start playing(not now because it's down for patch)...that is how I got in....you log in the game with your account ID and password.

No, it's just a "buy now" thing. It once was "you were chosen for D3 beta, come back soon"...but it never actually changed. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom