• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie5

Soooo ... elective mode has kinda of changed this whole game for me.
I assumed that with elective mode .. it was just a lazy way to remap skills in the toolbar. But I can now actually have more than one skill active of each group?!

This kinda blows my mind!

Must... resist... quoting avatar...

Man that was hard ;)

Yeah in the options you can select elective mode. and then just right click the skill slot and you can use the arrow buttons that appear to select any skill for that slot.
I enabled this straight away. What happens if you don't enable it? Do they force you to use skills from certain categories or something?

PGamer

fucking juniors
When I try to install the beta client it always seems to freeze at this part.

osCmz.png

Anyone know what's up with this? I'd like to play to the game.

sazzy

When I try to install the beta client it always seems to freeze at this part.

osCmz.png

Anyone know what's up with this? I'd like to play to the game.

Go to ProgramData folder (usually hidden), then battle.net folder, then delete the Agent folder.

Restart client.

Boken

Banned
The hardcore and stronger settings push the entire screen towards a single hue. It's pretty distracting and suboptimal imo.

Completed the beta now. I definitely get the Diablo feeling. But I found it was almost no challenge until close to the Skeleton King. The old Diablos were more challenging in the first chapter.

Other question, does it make sense to keep the beta files, so I don't have to download the whole game again, when it comes out in almost 3 weeks?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The old Diablos were more challenging in the first chapter.

If you're thinking about Diablo 2, it's barely more challenging. Like have 2 training wheels instead of 3.

Like, I might have used a potion on Blood Raven.

spirity

..sure.. but it gets rid of that shitty colorful haze all over.

I prefer it, everytime I hit pause to switch back I'm like wow.. they chose that?

Not only that, the sharpness filter gets rid of the awful blurriness. I hope there's an option to turn that off in the release.

TylerD

Bashiok tweeted that they have a pre-baked ambient occlusion built in and doesn't recommend using video card drivers to force it because it makes things look a bit weird.

@Bashiok said:
Pro-tip, don't force ambient occlusion through vid drivers in #D3. We have baked-in AO, and adding onto it makes it look really weird.

red731

Damn. Ok thanks

Can I ask you what did you expect?
Before open beta, they were wiping everything when new patch was there, from like five patches back, everytime.

Why are people expecting beta player content into full game? Same as with BF3.

spirity

It just looks like the gamma was turned down. If that floats your boat then cool but I don't really see much use for it.

I'm assuming people made this because of the whole uproar a while ago and the photoshopped screenshots that people darkened and then said "this is more like Diablo!"?

People made it because people don't like the brightness in D3. And a lot of people are dling it and using it. It's quite popular and has got a lot of praise, there's a 500 post thread on Battle.net about it.

People aren't keen on D3's default look. I dunno what to tell you man.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
People made it because people don't like the brightness in D3. And a lot of people are dling it and using it. It's quite popular and has got a lot of praise, there's a 500 post thread on Battle.net about it.

People aren't keen on D3's default look. I dunno what to tell you man.

Maybe he digs the hazy blurry color fiesta that Blizzard went with.

I like the sharper, grimmer look the filter adds.

to each their own.. I'm just stoked that someone bothered to make the filter..

QP3

Can I ask you what did you expect?
Before open beta, they were wiping everything when new patch was there, from like five patches back, everytime.

Why are people expecting beta player content into full game? Same as with BF3.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect. This is the first beta I have ever played, apart from ~30 min with the PoE beta.

I say "damn" simply because I was naturally growing attached to my character, but it really isn't that big of a deal to me.

chris-013

Hum... It seems like smoke screen give an invulnerability's window of 2 sec (3 with rune) and with the passive traits you gain 60% speed bonus ! That will be very good for hardcore mode. ^^

DemonNite

that was exciting... managed to finish my last character run for the complete set (wizard) and we had to kill SK with the server shut down message on the screen counting down too. And we just did it with 10 seconds left... good times.

Mindman

Is there any particular reason I'm getting stuttering in this game despite keeping a solid framerate? Lowering settings to almost nothing didn't seem to help, and locking at 30 fps only made it worse...

Reallink

Is there any particular reason I'm getting stuttering in this game despite keeping a solid framerate? Lowering settings to almost nothing didn't seem to help, and locking at 30 fps only made it worse...

It was the frame limiter doing it for me. Setting it at 60 stuttered like hell, turning it to 120 fixed it.

Will I be able to play with my friends in Japan if I'm in the States?

The game seems streamlined compare to D2, though I think in a good way.
I think they will be a variety of builds until the expansion or patches come out which can also add a lot of diversity if the game does get bland.

I really like the polish, and feels like a modern day polished D2.

Aesthet1c

I honestly think the filter makes the game look awful, but I am glad someone at least made it, just so that those that prefer the darker look can get it.

I tried downloading it and using the "sharpen only" effect, and while it does remove the blur from the character models, it also completely destroys the UI. It makes everything look like a bad photoshop filter.

maharg

idspispopd
Alright, so since it's down right now I figured I might as well post some impressions having actually played it.

Good:
- It's a lot of fun, right off the bat. D2 had a slow warmup with a new character, usually leaving you with too little mana and too little stamina for the first 10 levels or so. Not so with D3, every character has a way to replenish resources from the start that's not too onerous but still has you caring about it.
- I don't get the complaints about the atmosphere or colours. Looks great to me.
- After tweaking power saving settings on my Core i7 laptop with HD3000 it runs great with settings on medium and at full resolution. I love how Blizzard makes their games playable on low end machines.
- The plot nods back to Diablo 1, which is great. Going back through the cathedral is fun, fighting Leoric again is cool.
- The voice acting is good. Pretty much all vestiges of Cain's bad impression of Sean Connery from the first game are gone now (as they were mostly gone from D2).
- The ability to continue playing while narration or conversation is happening is great. Story progression will be awesome in this one, and I think we'll learn a lot about Sanctuary. I really liked the ghosts acting out Lachdanan killing Leoric before the final battle, and also really like that if you've seen it before you can just walk straight through it.
- It's a very streamlined gaming experience compared to D2. Everything tedious has been removed. (but see below)
- No more belt-management! And potions stack! And unlimited townportals! And zomg shared stash.

Bad:
- I really do miss allocating stat points.
- Some of the streamlining seems like it solved problems I didn't have. Like, can't make a TP without going through it now? Lame. The game generally feels very guided and limited in scope because of that.
- Everything has a cooldown, and it's often very long. (hopefully at higher levels this gets mitigated)
- It's really hard to see what actual damage your spells are doing.
- The strict placement of skills to keys is stupid, even if it can be changed. It strikes me as a tutorial-mode thing, and should go away on its own once you've unlocked all four key bindings. Or you shouldn't have to unlock key bindings. One or the other.
- I really really dislike the way quests and waypoints are so rigid. Choosing a quest on entering a game and having your waypoints limited by that choice feels unnecessarily constricted.

Overall, the negatives are mostly nitpicks and I hope they get mitigated through patching or the expansion. The game is fun, and I think I'll enjoy the hell out of it, even if I would have preferred a more similar followup to D2.

chris-013

Alright, so since it's down right now I figured I might as well post some impressions having actually played it.

- After tweaking power saving settings on my Core i7 laptop with HD3000 it runs great with settings on medium and at full resolution. I love how Blizzard makes their games playable on low end machines.

- Everything has a cooldown, and it's often very long. (hopefully at higher levels this gets mitigated)

Interesting settings... what is your laptop ? I assume you run the game on Windows ? How many fps ?

I played monk and DH and never had any cooldown ? What cooldown are you talking about ?

ameratsu

Sorry if this isn't the place for this but..

I downloaded the open beta but it runs terribly on my computer. I have an overclocked q6600 and xfx 4890 1gb. Graphics settings do not change it -- high or low settings -- I get horrible stuttery lag everytime there are more than a couple enemies on screen. I had a mission where I met some woman in a pub, and when people turned into undead, it lagged for 5 or 6 seconds by which time I was already dead. My roommate using my old video card (8800gs) is having a much better time than I am.

Is this a known issue, or what else should I be looking at? Video card drivers are up to date.

maharg

idspispopd
Interesting settings... what is your laptop ? I assume you run the game on Windows ? How many fps ?

I played monk and DH and never had any cooldown ? What cooldown are you talking about ?

Toshiba Z830. Yeah on windows. Don't have the fps number, haven't looked. Just paying attention to how it plays. When it comes back up I'll figure out how to find out.

My first character was a wizard, so a lot of that impressions come from that class. DH is the only other one I've done so far. Next up is probably a witch doctor.

I had a mission where I met some woman in a pub, and when people turned into undead, it lagged for 5 or 6 seconds by which time I was already dead.

Haha, this happened to me too before I tweaked the power saving stuff. Doesn't sound like you're on a laptop, though.

I have to say, I played as a Witch Doctor at first and wasn't feel it. Started up a Monk yesterday and earlier today did a co-op run through the first dungeon and now it's an instant buy for me. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom