• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risible

Like I said, there are clear and obvious problems with the way D2 worked. I just think they've given people whiplash by running off in the complete opposite direction, and I think that's a shame. I think you could fix the problems with D2's progression without losing the essential feel of it, and that it would be a better game for *everyone*, hardcore or not.

Also, like I said, I enjoy D3. I just don't think it'll endure the way D2 did. There'll come a point when I will have tried everything I feel like trying and I'll be done with the game at that point. On the other hand, I could probably play D2 every couple of years for another 10 years and not feel that way.

I just want to say that I agree with your sentiments exactly. Granted, this is an opinion formed only on the basis of playing characters up to level 10 in the beta, so perhaps I'll feel differently once I've played through the entire game.

D2 had huge replayability for me. Part of the enjoyment of the game was playing through with a build type and seeing how it did, regardless of how it performed. It was a fun experiment of sorts. With D3, I'll play through with each character type and during the course of that playthrough will experience all that particular character has to offer as I unlock all of the skills and runes.

It's almost like how using cheat codes ruins a game. I never use them because I know if I do I'll check out everything in the game with ease, get bored, and never go back to it. There's something to be said for there being effort required to experience something.

chris-013

I tried the beta on my MBA 2011, 10-22 FPS... with everything on low or off. :/
I hope the release will be better or I will need to update to HD4000. ;P

On Windows with a Q6600 and a gtx460 I'm always near 60FPS with very rare drop. ^^

Twinduct

Yeah think I'm done after this weekend (unless there is some roll-over award for getting all the beta cheevos). Going Barb as my first toon come the 15th. Kinda impressed with the netcode tbh. Playing at 360ms with a friend from Taiwan and only noticed the occasional 'jump'.

Was hoping for the EU servers to be live during the stress test, but oh well. Can't wait for some new areas or atleast non-wiping character development! The amount of times I've found some awesome loot, thinking I'm going to save it for later, then coming back to a wiped character :/

I think this is nice evolution of Diablo tbh. I do believe that something like Path Of Exile is more inline of what a direct 3D version of D2 would have been (Well minus the art + interest). But this is nice too! Luckily we can enjoy both!

IceMarker

Going Barb as my first toon come the 15th.

IdSjN.gif

Thrakier

I just want to say that I agree with your sentiments exactly. Granted, this is an opinion formed only on the basis of playing characters up to level 10 in the beta, so perhaps I'll feel differently once I've played through the entire game.

D2 had huge replayability for me. Part of the enjoyment of the game was playing through with a build type and seeing how it did, regardless of how it performed. It was a fun experiment of sorts. With D3, I'll play through with each character type and during the course of that playthrough will experience all that particular character has to offer as I unlock all of the skills and runes.

It's almost like how using cheat codes ruins a game. I never use them because I know if I do I'll check out everything in the game with ease, get bored, and never go back to it. There's something to be said for there being effort required to experience something.

Yeah I do agree.

Valnen

What was wrong with TQ? I thought that was the best of the Diablo clones.

Hated the way characters are controlled, or more specifically the way the action bar buttons brought up a cross-hair rather than actually activating the skills. That alone was enough to ruin the entire game for me.

It also didn't help that the whole of act 1 took ages to complete and was boring as hell. I couldn't endure more after it. Biggest waste of $20 I ever spent.

Now that I have a job I can afford to preorder this game... Is there anywhere I can still preorder a ce?

For any one else who still wanted to order the collectors edition. I just put my order in to best buys website for home delivery and it took all my info and gave me a confirmation. So I'm assuming you can still order from their site.

Leckan

So basically there's no good reason to make more than one character per class?

That's a bit of a bummer.

BTW can you still trade items for items or only gold?

Twinduct

Well that endgame buff they spoke about could be 'some' incentive? But I do get where you are coming from. Although having a Male/ Female variant could be fun ... I guess.

Artadius

Only if you're not man enough to play hardcore where you always eventually die /crosses arms

IJoel

So, is it just me or does money jump out to the opposite of the player's direction. Seems everytime I get money, I have to change direction. Silly annoyance, I know, but I was wondering if I was the only one experiencing this.

Roche

BattleTag: Roche#1982
Fav Class: Wizard

Maybe I can get a game with you guys if I can actually log in for once.

So who is buying boxed game over digital copy?

CE, so boxed. Amazon release date delivery - not sure when it will get here. Late afternoon at the latest, anywhere from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. at best. I don't really mind (I didn't get SC2 or Cataclysm at a midnight launch either), but I'll probably be really clawing for it when it arrives, which will probably be later than when I could have possibly gotten it walking into a retail store as soon as they open. Would rather not take the risk, and I had already pre-ordered on Amazon before Best Buy started offering pre-orders + I have Amazon credit.

Aside from that, with open beta upon us, I've been collating questions that would be good for the FAQ section of the OT. Any suggestions that I may or may not have missed? Just tell me what you think would be important or things you see a lot. I won't list what I already have, so I don't care about seeing repeats mentioned. Repeats will probably just tell me how much I need to flesh out an answer.

TheYanger

CE, so boxed. Amazon release date delivery - not sure when it will get here. Late afternoon at the latest, anywhere from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. at best. I don't really mind (I didn't get SC2 or Cataclysm at a midnight launch either), but I'll probably be really clawing for it when it arrives, which will probably be later than when I could have possibly gotten it walking into a retail store as soon as they open. Would rather not take the risk, and I had already pre-ordered on Amazon before Best Buy started offering pre-orders + I have Amazon credit.

Aside from that, with open beta upon us, I've been collating questions that would be good for the FAQ section of the OT. Any suggestions that I may or may not have missed? Just tell me what you think would be important or things you see a lot. I won't list what I already have, so I don't care about seeing repeats mentioned. Repeats will probably just tell me how much I need to flesh out an answer.

A) your login is your email, not your battle.tag
B) All abilities are affected by weapon damage, weapon damage is affected by primary stats, for all classes. Mention how to turn on advanced tooltips so people realize this shit. (why by default they make it obtuse is beyond me, it's not helping newbies for them to not know that their dagger makes their fireball better).

Main ones I can think of.

B) All abilities are affected by weapon damage, weapon damage is affected by primary stats, for all classes. Mention how to turn on advanced tooltips so people realize this shit. (why by default they make it obtuse is beyond me, it's not helping newbies for them to not know that their dagger makes their fireball better).

Main ones I can think of.

Took me a while to figure out how the mechanic worked with the Witch Doctor. First I figured I should use a 2h weapon to increase my weapon damage as high as possible, but I notice the weapon speed applies to abilities as well. Plus the ceremonial daggers also have crit bonus %, so I went back to them.

TylerD

Difficulty structure and the importance of playing past normal to experience everything and the real game. Normal = story time and getting familiar with game mechanics. Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno = real Diablo 3.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm new to the game (Diablo I doesn't count) so I have questions

1)How does save system work here?
2)Do I need to equip some class specific items to maximize potential of attacks? Like brass knuckles for a monk for example.
3)Are all areas random generated?
4)Are only stats for loot randonly generated or the look of it is randonly generated too?

SSJChar

saving is automatic, but it doesn't save the level, just what quest you were on, whatever you have on your, and your exp.

you do not need to equip class specific items to maximize potential attacks. my current monk has daggers in both hands. later in the game, maybe. they have set items and legendary items that have class perks, but those are unknown right now

dungeons are randomly generated, outdoor areas have a general layout, but random blocks in them so that they are similar each time you play overall, but different in what you can find(like sometimes you'll find a cave, sometimes you won't but the general shape of the outside lvl will be the same)

loot is random, too, though when you do a major quest for the first time, you'll usually(or atleast have a much much higher chance) of getting a rare or better item.

Trickster

I'm new to the game (Diablo I doesn't count) so I have questions

1)How does save system work here?
2)Do I need to equip some class specific items to maximize potential of attacks? Like brass knuckles for a monk for example.
3)Are all areas random generated?
4)Are only stats for loot randonly generated or the look of it is randonly generated too?

1) checkpoint based saving system it seems. You can't choose when to save yourself. But I believe you can leave the game your in, and as long as you don't join a new game, you should be able to return to the same point of the game where you left.

However if you want to create a brand new game, then you will have to choose what part of the game that you have previously complated, you want to start from. For instance you will be able to set the quest the game starts at is the quest for the skeleton king in act 1 on normal difficulty.

2) Not really, at least not at the beginning of the game, in the beta we are seeing wizards running around with sword and axes because their spell dmg is tied to weapon dps. Though if you end up going hardcore at the game and run inferno mode difficulty for the crazy end game gear, then you will probably need to get items designed for your class.

3) Almost all areas, to various degrees. The townhub where you get most of your quests and npc interactions is the same every time.

Then you have the outdoor areas, that so far seem to have the overall same shape, but the layout and content within those areas change to a certain degree, various foliage will be different, sometimes there will be a specific dungeon for you to find, sometimes it will not be there, mobs will never spawn the same either.

Then you have the dungeons, these will be the areas that are fully randomized every time, the looks will obviously stay the same, but the layout will be completely different everytime, and it will share all the features of randomization that I mentioned for the outdoor areas.

4) If you are talking about the weapon models themselves, those will obviously not be randomly generated, a short bow will always look like a short bow etc. Though there are various visual effects on the weapons that can vary based on the stats on the weapons ( dunno if this is also the case with armor items ).

Sober

As you level I think it'll be serviceable to have a higher damage weapon in your hand but eventually I'm guessing you'll want to put a class weapon in your hand/off-hand because they will have class-specific buffs on them like +resource or +skill damage and stuff.

LordCanti

As you level I think it'll be serviceable to have a higher damage weapon in your hand but eventually I'm guessing you'll want to put a class weapon in your hand/off-hand because they will have class-specific buffs on them like +resource or +skill damage and stuff.

Until Inferno (probably) I'm planning on basically averaging my build out so that I can spend Hatred/Arcane/etc at roughly the same rate as I regenerate it. Using the normal attacks is pointless compared to the DPS of something like the DH's rapid fire (especially with the withering fire rune) or the Wizard's Arcane Orb/Torrent (to give a few beta specific examples).

The fastest weapons will probably spend Hatred/Arcane/etc too fast for this purpose. I'm thinking it will make more sense to use one slower, heavier hitting weapon.

Sober

Until Inferno (probably) I'm planning on basically averaging my build out so that I can spend Hatred/Arcane/etc at roughly the same rate as I regenerate it. Using the normal attacks is pointless compared to the DPS of something like the DH's rapid fire (especially with the withering fire rune) or the Wizard's Arcane Orb/Torrent (to give a few beta specific examples).

The fastest weapons will probably spend Hatred/Arcane/etc too fast for this purpose. I'm thinking it will make more sense to use one slower, heavier hitting weapon.
I guess you can skip having a resource generator on your bar but is that really worth just sitting there and waiting for your resource to come back up so you can fire off the next skill?

Twinduct

Soooo ... elective mode has kinda of changed this whole game for me.
I assumed that with elective mode .. it was just a lazy way to remap skills in the toolbar. But I can now actually have more than one skill active of each group?!

This kinda blows my mind!

msv

I want an option to have shared loot :( I get why they did it, for parties with strangers/randoms. But separated loot makes it feel much more distant when you're playing with real friends. I see my GF running off to where there's nothing and I'm constantly reminded that she's playing just a slightly different game. Irks me. Would be nice if there could be an option for shared loot.

Orgun

Soooo ... elective mode has kinda of changed this whole game for me.
I assumed that with elective mode .. it was just a lazy way to remap skills in the toolbar. But I can now actually have more than one skill active of each group?!

This kinda blows my mind!

Wait what, what is this? Is that in the options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom