• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elginer

The servers are getting hammered hard. Hope they get an idea of the launch madness. I don't want no damn errors on launch day.

wwlnd

Banned
soooo good to be playing again since i quit wow.

health pot powerup mechanism is really great! my hand is killing me though from clicking.

SSJChar

you can just hold down the button for movement, and i THINK you can hold it down for attack too, so no need to do repeated presses.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Quick question for anyone with a general computer knowledge. Technically my laptop doesnt meet the minimum requirements of the game. the graphics card fails the canyourunit website test. and even the game gave me that message. But it runs. not amazingly but its playable for sure. i went through the first 2 quests or so and things are (relatively) smooth.

I should be ok, right?

Chris R

Performance on my 13" 2011 MBA isn't terrible. I mean it is slow (sub 30fps), even with everything set to min, but so was Torchlight.

It is playable though.

Well that's probably the major reason they're holding an open beta, so I imagine it'll be fine on launch day.
They had an open beta for WoW and the launch day was still a nightmare. I'm crossing my fingers but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Other than the occasional lag in coop, I'm really enjoying what they gave us. Wish they'd given a bit more but that's just me being greedy.

Owzers

Performance on my 13" 2011 MBA isn't terrible. I mean it is slow (sub 30fps), even with everything set to min, but so was Torchlight.

It is playable though.

About what it's like with my HP ATI integrated 6480 graphics laptop, framerate gets a little choppy but i can play it.

vaelic

Banned
few questions:

1. in the retail version, will we be able to customize the look of our characters? an old barbarian sucks...

2. can u no longer zoom in on the gameplay?

3. you cant kick ppl from a game you host? lame

RDreamer

The new system is better and has been known about for a long time now. Where have you been, under a rock? o_o

Hah, I'm in the same boat. I was kind of frantically searching around the beta wondering why I couldn't assign skill points or stat points. I'm really sad to see those things go :( I could take a new skill system, but not being able to put in stats really, really bums me out...

I guess I have been under a rock or something. I vaguely remember reading something about them changing the skill system, but I was trying not to read too much on D3, because I wanted things to be more fresh and I really didn't want to hype myself up too much without knowing when the hell the game was going to be released.

Anyway, is there a link to something explaining the new system a bit better?

DTKT

They had an open beta for WoW and the launch day was still a nightmare. I'm crossing my fingers but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Other than the occasional lag in coop, I'm really enjoying what they gave us. Wish they'd given a bit more but that's just me being greedy.

Let's just say that they must have acquired some experience over the past 10 years. ;)

goldensun

Gaf, this game is absolutely incredible. I'm reliving Torchlight all over again, but this time it's even better!

I played DII for just a little bit a few years ago after Torchlight, but it didn't click too much for some reason. This game, however, is really sticking with me.

Amagon

Jesus, I've been stuck at "Updating Setup Files" for almost 2 hours now. And I deleted and redownloaded the client again.

/fuck

Lothars

Jesus, I've been stuck at "Updating Setup Files" for almost 2 hours now. And I deleted and redownloaded the client again.

/fuck

Same here, downloading at 5.3kb/s now. Not sure I'll get any playing time in this weekend if this doesn't change :(
Diablo 3 Tech Problems
Delete these two folders, which are recreated each time you log on or try to install:

C:\ProgramData\Battle.net
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache

Now right click the d3 installer.exe file and run it as an administrator. (Retstarting before this step may also help.)
Try this and see if it makes a difference. It looks like it does for some people.

Oy, glad people are getting silly questions out of the way now with the open beta weekend. The beta has tech issues, no doubt. Again, hopefully it's much better optimized for the retail release, as I really want to avoid having an excessive amount of tech support questions shitting up the OT. There might be a separate thread made for that regardless, as there has been for some other games (Skyrim, I know for one.)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Something weird happened... I was excited about this all day after hearing about the open beta. Downloaded it this morning and I booted it up immediately after coming home from work. But after an hour and getting level 5 on my Monk... I'm really not feeling it. It was just kind of boring, so I logged out.

Maybe I need to approach it fresh or something. I'll definitely give it another try as a different class tomorrow.

LordCanti

Hah, I'm in the same boat. I was kind of frantically searching around the beta wondering why I couldn't assign skill points or stat points. I'm really sad to see those things go :( I could take a new skill system, but not being able to put in stats really, really bums me out...

I guess I have been under a rock or something. I vaguely remember reading something about them changing the skill system, but I was trying not to read too much on D3, because I wanted things to be more fresh and I really didn't want to hype myself up too much without knowing when the hell the game was going to be released.

Anyway, is there a link to something explaining the new system a bit better?

The basics are that every character of a certain class, at a certain level, is on equal standing with someone in that same class at that same level. The differences between characters will come from what runes they equip (everyone has the same choices at any given level), what spells they use, and what kit they have equipped.

I'm not that bummed about the loss of being able to assign individual stat points, but not being able to level up only the spells I like is kind of annoying. It works fine in practice though.

My god, thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for that sharpen/darken mod link (from the open beta thread), I can't play the default game anymore at all.

It improves it soo much for my eyes it's not even funny.

Now to remove the highlighted monster edges and I'm golden, btw anyway to do this?

RDreamer

The basics are that every character of a certain class, at a certain level, is on equal standing with someone in that same class at that same level. The differences between characters will come from what runes they equip (everyone has the same choices at any given level), what spells they use, and what kit they have equipped.

I'm not that bummed about the loss of being able to assign individual stat points, but not being able to level up only the spells I like is kind of annoying. It works fine in practice though.

Ew.... I really really don't like that at all. Probably the biggest reason I loved Diablo 2 was the feeling that my character was completely and utterly unique. No other character out there was like what I did. It also helps that in no way did I ever follow the normal "builds" that a lot of others did. I always made my characters really unique. That really sucks that they took a large chunk of the customization out.

goldensun

Hey gaf, add me! Just going to be lvling all classes and having fun for the weekend at random times.

I'm in SoCal.

Battletag: GoldenSun#1944

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like it this way. Clean and simple. Also probably way easier to balance.

Balance what?

I find the change a bit depressing, honestly.

Ew.... I really really don't like that at all. Probably the biggest reason I loved Diablo 2 was the feeling that my character was completely and utterly unique. No other character out there was like what I did. It also helps that in no way did I ever follow the normal "builds" that a lot of others did. I always made my characters really unique. That really sucks that they took a large chunk of the customization out.

Agreed.

Yup, it plays like Diablo. The graphics are kinda disappointing though. Dota 2 does the whole "painted background" thing way better, and the polygon count on models seems low.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Balance PVP. There'd be no way for someone that didn't plan their build ahead to compete with the people that had.

PVP, huh? That's one of the focuses of this game?

I may be cancelling my preorder if that's so...

LordCanti

it's not pvp focused, also there is still customizations. The runes you choose for your skills make them unique.

It's not at launch, but PVP is what keeps a game like this going. There's no point in getting high level loot if all it does is make getting more loot easier.

(I realize there are loot whores, and I do love dungeon crawling, but you can only run Baal/Diablo/etc so many times)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not at launch, but PVP is what keeps a game like this going. There's no point in getting high level loot if all it does is make getting more loot easier.

(I realize there are loot whores, and I do dungeon crawling, but you can only run Baal/Diablo/etc so many times)

Didn't have any problems thoroughly enjoying Diablo and Diablo 2. Did anyone play those games for PvP? Man... I feel like I really should have read more about Diablo 3 before now.

TGMIII

Getting an "unable to connect to the service or the connection was interrupted (error 3003)" error. Guessing the servers are just full?

Zizbuka

Banned
Played a Monk for a bit, pretty disappointed. Just seems like an average hack 'n slash, something an Indie could've done.

I'll pick up the Battle Chest when it's $20.

Anyone else get crazy lag every step they take? I'm hoping its not something to do with my computer/graphics card...

Edit: maybe it was because I started playing when it was at 92% and not fully optimized?

Had a blast as Barbarian earlier today. Very stoked about the game proper, especially when it comes to co-op with some RL buddies. Hopefully we can all be online at the same time at some point this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom