• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrest

formerly nacire
I really like the way injected SMAA looks with this game. It's like the in-game AA minus the blurriness, yet not artificial looking like the sharpening filter.

It works fine with the beta but I hope this won't get detected as a hack with the retail release. Someone please test this for me ;)

I tried it out to see how it looked and unfortunately it's just like all of the other post process AA in that it kills the UI and text. All of the text becomes pretty blobby and loses any of it's sharpness. I think I'm just going to run the game clean with whatever options blizzard includes.

TylerD

Screw the little taster I had of this last weekend, now I don't want to play anything else. :'(

I haven't played anything else in a long time.

Working on a HC naked barb run right now only using starting weapon and shield. Just about to head into the room after Manglemaw.

It is tedious but challenging and will probably be the last thing I do in the beta before they shut it down. Scavengers are such a PITA.

ToD_

I tried it out to see how it looked and unfortunately it's just like all of the other post process AA in that it kills the UI and text. All of the text becomes pretty blobby and loses any of it's sharpness. I think I'm just going to run the game clean with whatever options blizzard includes.

It does have an effect on the UI, of course. Though I think it's rather minimal compared to other filters. I'm hoping there will be a way to force other AA methods but I think this is the best we have for now, despite the impact on the UI.

ToD_

Oh is there going to be a server selection screen? I figured it would just automatically pick your server based on IP or something.

You can select what server you want to join in the options prior to logging in. I'm guessing it decides what server it picks initially based on what client you download.

Screw the little taster I had of this last weekend, now I don't want to play anything else. :'(

You and me both. I've tried to muster the enthusiasm for anything else, but honestly all I want to do is play some frickin' Diablo 3. And that's coming from someone who had pretty much written the game off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The level cap still 15? Holding off until retail since I finished everyone to 15, but I haven't kept up with them opening up the beta or not.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Can you give a short review of it? It looked promising, and frankly I've never been all that fond of my Performence MX.

Im not really an aficionado of mouses so my opinion wont mean much. But the texture of the mouse feels nice. It has a red logo that pulsates light which is cool. The precision of the laser seems very high. Only thing im not thrilled with are the buttons on the right side could potentially get in the way depending how you use the mouse. Hasnt been a big issue for me though. It fits my hand well.

pxleyes

Banned
Im not really an aficionado of mouses so my opinion wont mean much. But the texture of the mouse feels nice. It has a red logo that pulsates light which is cool. The precision of the laser seems very high. Only thing im not thrilled with are the buttons on the right side could potentially get in the way depending how you use the mouse. Hasnt been a big issue for me though. It fits my hand well.
Was looking for an honest opinion, so that was perfect. Sounds like a decent enough mouse, and I love the look. How loud is the click?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Was looking for an honest opinion, so that was perfect. Sounds like a decent enough mouse, and I love the look. How loud is the click?

Kinda loud. Left click seems louder than right on mine. Its somewhat satisfying to push. I dont have anything to compare against except my old mouse though, which was crap.

x-Lundz-x

Is there any way to have your hero / party hero names show on your character portrait and not your Battletag in the game? I thought they fixed this.

forrest

formerly nacire
Is there any way to have your hero / party hero names show on your character portrait and not your Battletag in the game? I thought they fixed this.

I think it's supposed to be fixed for retail, but not in the beta build.

Looks like they are capping servers tonight or something, saying the servers are full.

Deadly

Hardcore on a game where you can experience lag and disconnects while playing single-player? NO WAY!
I used to play D2 hardcore. That was also nearly 10 years ago when internet was about a million times worst. It was still doable. Extreme panic attacks when everything freezes or someone hostiles you though =P

valeo

Jay Wilson has said that PvP will be out "well" before the end of the year. Thank fuck.

Can't believe that after 5 years of development they still couldn't get any PvP system in there; really disappointing.

Danj

There's a good reason I uninstalled/broke my install cd/and threw out D2 LOD twice, then proceeded to re-buy it TWICE.

Don't ask, lol.

This is why you register your retail CD keys on Battle.net, that way if your CD breaks you don't have to rebuy it, you can just download the digital version.

This is why you register your retail CD keys on Battle.net, that way if your CD breaks you don't have to rebuy it, you can just download the digital version.

I think he was implying he broke them to keep himself from playing d2 relentlessly which registering the keys would have defeated the purpose of.

Kalnos

Banned
Interestingly enough when I went to register my D2 CDs (on my BNET account) someone else had already done so. I contacted them about it and they told me they will only activate one game per CD key and the only thing they could do is let me ship in my CD/Case for a replacement.

V_Arnold

To me, the launch situation is really simple, really, really.
1) Wow expansions are more resource-heavy or AT LEAST as resource-heavy as Diablo III will be. The most important difference is that in crowded areas, the WoW servers needed to send the data of what other players were doing to all the people around them - not to mention the stuff that happens in the capital cities.... Diablo 3 does not have any of that. Max 4 people, which is a godsend for scalability.
2) WoW expansions usually opened with 2-3 million player within 24 hours - while Diablo III CAN get that number, I do not think it will, or really, if it does, it wont surpass that with another 2-3 million in a short period of time.
3) At this point, with Blizzard stating that:
a) Beta servers did not have the same resources that the final game has
b) Beta servers/clients are NOT nearly as stable as the final build/final servers
c) Beta client does not run as well as final build does,
It is either going to be a colossally EPIC failure with an exposure to the lies that were a,b, and C, or everything is going to be FINE.

I cant even fathom the idea of less than 20 days and it is here...my brain is shutting down and I am just floating in the nothingness!

Edit: Who was I talking to? To the discussion one page before this, lol. This thread moves fast!

Hardcore on a game where you can experience lag and disconnects while playing single-player? NO WAY!

Lord Lag is simply just one of the hidden Great Evils you must battle with.

Anyways, I only ever played D2 on Battle.net and only really played HC in D2, so I'll be sticking with that as much as possible (outside of a character for PvP).

Hauk

Neo Member
Still getting the hang of the UI, the skill placement system is really weird and the requirement to wait for new skill slots (1-5 on keyboard) is really mind boggling in my opinion. Also where is the "skill" to attack with weapon?

Anyway, my battletag is Feldir#2715 (EU) if anyone could add it to the list :)

Djin1979

I'm living in Canada but I plan to play on the EU server with my friends, how bad was the lag for the European people playing on the US server ? it should be kinda similar I guess.

Max

I am not Max
I'm living in Canada but I plan to play on the EU server with my friends, how bad was the lag for the European people playing on the US server ? it should be kinda similar I guess.
Is the game not going to be region-locked a la SC2?

kyubajin

You can choose the region in Diablo 3.
Yoshi, can I ask where did you buy the game and when are you expecting it to arrive?

I got the CE on Amazon UK and it's supposedly being dispatched on the 14th. I know you've purchased day 1 stuff on Amazon UK before so, how long does it normally take to arrive?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi, can I ask where did you buy the game and when are you expecting it to arrive?

I got the CE on Amazon UK and it's supposedly being dispatched on the 14th. I know you've purchased day 1 stuff on Amazon UK before so, how long does it normally take to arrive?
I have never bought anything from Amazon before, I'm sorry :( I am buying the game on midnight launch in Sweden, Örebro (Gamestop).

kyubajin

I have never bought anything from Amazon before, I'm sorry :( I am buying the game on midnight launch in Sweden, Örebro (Gamestop).

Oh, thought you had got Dark Souls from Amazon UK. Nevermind then.

I'm also going to a a midnight launch party in Barcelona, Spain (Fnac) but only to talk to people, have fun :p

Hauk

Neo Member
Servers are full, and after waiting in queue for a couple of seconds it throws some error messages. This is exactly the kind of bullshit that I fear the always-online requirement will create for the retail game too. I simply can't understand why even the single-player is required to be online. Should be a choice that you make at the start menu: play offline, or play online.
Might not even buy this at launch, the servers will be rammed up the ass anyway so there would definitely be some queuing.

Servers are full, and after waiting in queue for a couple of seconds it throws some error messages. This is exactly the kind of bullshit that I fear the always-online requirement will create for the retail game too. I simply can't understand why even the single-player is required to be online. Should be a choice that you make at the start menu: play offline, or play online.
Might not even buy this at launch, the servers will be rammed up the ass anyway so there would definitely be some queuing.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with cheaters and the auction house. It sucks but it appears to be a necessary evil.

LordCanti

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with cheaters and the auction house. It sucks but it appears to be a necessary evil.

This, basically. I have no doubt that exploits will be found, but if you could create a character and play it offline, you could theoretically appear back online with a boatload of rares and a maxed out character. Since real money is at stake in the auction house, it would be a nightmare (I really hope no one figures out how to dupe items. Imagine trying to sort that mess out after people had paid real money for dupes.)

~Kinggi~

Banned
This, basically. I have no doubt that exploits will be found, but if you could create a character and play it offline, you could theoretically appear back online with a boatload of rares and a maxed out character. Since real money is at stake in the auction house, it would be a nightmare (I really hope no one figures out how to dupe items. Imagine trying to sort that mess out after people had paid real money for dupes.)

I think what the drm ultimately comes down to is Blizzard is logging all your pickups as well as you are locally. So if items are duped, and it wasnt done live and blizzard didnt record the pickup, they can void transactions. This is why i dont think that mooge or whatever its called will be useful for anything than other potential pure online play that can never touch an active account.

LordCanti

I think what the drm ultimately comes down to is Blizzard is logging all your pickups as well as you are locally. So if items are duped, and it wasnt done live and blizzard didnt record the pickup, they can void transactions. This is why i dont think that mooge or whatever its called will be useful for anything than other potential pure online play that can never touch an active account.

Hopefully their system is fast enough that it would realize the item was duped when it happened and prevent the transaction from going through.

It is annoying when you run into lag playing solo, but if it keeps the auction house free of dupes and cheaters, I'm okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom