• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj350

Banned
Can't wait until this is released, easily my most anticipated PC game since Starcraft 2. You gotta love how there was practically no news until WHAM, release announced for May 15'th! The fact that it is right after my birthday is pretty awesome.

Carm

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with cheaters and the auction house. It sucks but it appears to be a necessary evil.

People really need to fucking stop saying this. In Diablo 2 you could never take your offline character onto to closed battle.net because of the potential cheating. There is no reason they couldn't have designed D3 the exact same way. They prefered to be dicks and push online only, because they knew they could get away with it. Plus they and way to many gamers put to much importance on useless achievements and making sure no one can cheat to get them.

I can't wait until people get queues for a single player game, or when the servers go down for 4-8 hours on Tuesday for maintenance (does this still happen in SC2?), the crying will be fun to watch. Even SC2 had an offline mode, albeit you had to call home every 30 days.

maharg

idspispopd
People really need to fucking stop saying this. In Diablo 2 you could never take your offline character onto to closed battle.net because of the potential cheating. There is no reason they couldn't have designed D3 the exact same way. They prefered to be dicks and push online only, because they knew they could get away with it. Plus they and way to many gamers put to much importance on useless achievements and making sure no one can cheat to get them.

I can't wait until people get queues for a single player game, or when the servers go down for 4-8 hours on Tuesday for maintenance (does this still happen in SC2?), the crying will be fun to watch. Even SC2 had an offline mode, albeit you had to call home every 30 days.

I never bothered with offline mode in D2 precisely because I couldn't take my character online if I felt like it. Offline characters in D2 were pointless unless you explicitly wanted to use a trainer or something. I really have no issue with this at all.

As for server downtime, well, Blizzard really should enter the 21st century and start trying to engineer their products to always be available. This isn't a problem with online-only, it's a problem with how they design their server infrastructure.

Carm

I never bothered with offline mode in D2 precisely because I couldn't take my character online if I felt like it. Offline characters in D2 were pointless unless you explicitly wanted to use a trainer or something.

Pointless to YOU, not to everyone. For example, I've been playing D2 since release day, never played the game with anyone, only solo. I did have some characters on closed Battle.net as well, but still only played solo, I only used it for trading. Even stopped doing that after awhile because of the potential of getting duped items.

I never bothered with offline mode in D2 precisely because I couldn't take my character online if I felt like it. Offline characters in D2 were pointless unless you explicitly wanted to use a trainer or something. I really have no issue with this at all.

As for server downtime, well, Blizzard really should enter the 21st century and start trying to engineer their products to always be available. This isn't a problem with online-only, it's a problem with how they design their server infrastructure.

We have no idea how server downtime will work with Diablo 3 with the full game though. It could be handled any number of ways. We also have no idea how frequent it will be.

WoW has Tuesdays from early morning to about 2 p.m. EST. A significant period of time once a week. EVE online though, is off every day from 11 a.m. GMT to 11:30 a.m. GMT, excepting special circumstances.

Side note: Just installed the Exocet font.

maharg

idspispopd
Pointless to YOU, not to everyone. For example, I've been playing D2 since release day, never played the game with anyone, only solo. I did have some characters on closed Battle.net as well, but still only played solo, I only used it for trading. Even stopped doing that after awhile because of the potential of getting duped items.

I mostly played solo myself. Only played multi when I could get someone I actually know to play with me, but that was entirely worth having my games on the server when it happened.

Also like how you avoided getting duped items and instead went the route where you basically could never ever get some items legitimately.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There is no reason they couldn't have designed D3 the exact same way.

In Diablo 3, much of the game's code actually lies on the server. Item drops, monster spawning, that sort of thing.

By keep a bunch of this code on the server side (and not putting any sort of code on the client side) they can more easily hide the game's code from hackers. The end result is that it is much more difficult for people to create hacks and exploits. Especially since real money is now being exchanged within the game, it is in everybody's best interest that hacks and exploits are kept at a minimum.

In essence, including an offline mode would actually affect the integrity of the online mode.

Sounds like Torchlight 2 is a much better game for you... where online play is only an option.
It's more casual (?) lol jk
maybe more laid-back.

Carm

Er, don't misunderstand me, I'll be playing D3 at 2am CST on the 15th. I was just commenting on the supposed reasoning for being online only. As for ANYONE thinking there won't be cheating in D3 pretty quick after release, all I can do is laugh at the naivety of the thought.

Especially since real money is now being exchanged within the game, it is in everybody's best interest that hacks and exploits are kept at a minimum.

First, I have zero issue with the concept of the RMAH. It's not in everyones best interests to keep it safe from hackers, it's Blizzards, players never asked for a RMAH. If given a choice pretty much every player would give up the RMAH for an offline mode instead, but we weren't given that choice.

Also like how you avoided getting duped items and instead went the route where you basically could never ever get some items legitimately.

Neither choice is a perfect one, I'd just prefer not trade away legitimate high quality items that I earned for a dupe.

As for TL2, like a lot of people, I'll be playing that day one as well. With that said, I'm not more excited for it because of its ability to be played offline.

Er, don't misunderstand me, I'll be playing D3 at 2am CST on the 15th. I was just commenting on the supposed reasoning for being online only. As for ANYONE thinking there won't be cheating in D3 pretty quick after release, all I can do is laugh at the naivety of the thought.

As for TL2, like a lot of people, I'll be playing that day one as well. With that said, I'm not more excited for it because of its ability to be played offline.
Depends what you mean by cheating. It'll take a very long time for any substantial hacks to come up.

Venfayth

I've been doing SK runs on my Barb and only getting 1-2 blues instead of the normal 1-2 rares 2-3 blues when I do it the for the first time. Is this normal or am I just having shitty luck?

maharg

idspispopd
First, I have zero issue with the concept of the RMAH. It's not in everyones best interests to keep it safe from hackers, it's Blizzards, players never asked for a RMAH. If given a choice pretty much every player would give up the RMAH for an offline mode instead, but we weren't given that choice.

I think you're wrong about that, personally. I don't even plan to use the RMAH much, if at all, but I'd still take it over offline mode.

Maybe if Blizzard hadn't spent the last 13 years maintaining online servers for the last Diablo game I'd feel like you do. As is, I'm completely fine with D3 being online only.

ZealousD

As for ANYONE thinking there won't be cheating in D3 pretty quick after release, all I can do is laugh at the naivety of the thought.

Haven't WoW and SC2 been mostly clean, relatively speaking?

maharg

idspispopd
You only get a rare the first time you beat him.

Yeah, this was true to a lesser extent in D2 as well (first drops were always best, usually with a higher class item or rune drop in addition to normal drops), but I think they're ramping that effect up significantly to avoid a repeat of baal runs.

Of course, there could still wind up being a Pindleskin in there somewhere.

Kyoufu

Which class do you guys recommend if I'm a melee nut? Monk or Barbarian?

I'm leaning towards Barb atm but I'm open to ideas/suggestions. Will I have fun with Barb? Didn't play the beta.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

I'm leaning towards Barb atm but I'm open to ideas/suggestions. Will I have fun with Barb? Didn't play the beta.
Barbarian was the most fun 1-13. Yeah I think you should go barb

Kalnos

Banned
Yes, and Diablo 3 will be the same. Online only is just another issue people will be eating crow about. Right up there with lack of customization and difficulty.

Come on now, no one is going to be 'eating crow' about online only. A majority of the complaints against it are legitimate. No one is 'eating crow' about SC2 having no LAN, similarly. They recognize that online only has benefits, but they miss the features that didn't require a connection.

Luckily for them Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn will satisfy their offline needs and Diablo 3 can remain in a secure online environment.

ZealousD

Honestly, I like the Barb more even though initially I was leaning Monk. Barb hits like a damn truck. Also, no class gets more satisfaction from the game's physics system than the Barb. Watching enemies go flying, destroying the environment, it's a blast. Monk skills are more varied, though.

qazqaNii

I am really curious on how they will handle the items since there is no ladder I am starting to wonder if they constantly will add new items to the game and tons of expansions which kind of worries me at the same time.

Anyways can't wait for 15th MAY!! Got exams :/

I wouldn't say it was pointless. There were some really good mods that got released

Carm

Haven't WoW and SC2 been mostly clean, relatively speaking?

I can't speak of SC2, I don't play it online, but as for WoW, heh cheating has been happening since I started playing in 2004. It comes and goes. They ban most, eventually, never when you report, they do it in batches. It could be 6+ months before you get banned in WoW for cheating, unless it's some major PVP exploit.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Honestly, I like the Barb more even though initially I was leaning Monk. Barb hits like a damn truck. Also, no class gets more satisfaction from the game's physics system than the Barb. Watching enemies go flying, destroying the environment, it's a blast. Monk skills are more varied, though.

I feel exactly the same. I was set on a monk before the beta, but now having played the Barbarian, I am undecided. It just feels to good to smash things with the barb. I'm playing hardcore mode though so I'm still leaning (a little) to the monk.

LordCanti

So like I said before, I'm just doing SK runs for exp and gold to get to 13. Anyone else have a strategy they use to get to 13?

Run the graveyard every other time to prevent it from becoming monotonous. I just got my last character to 13 (did every class), and now I'm sitting on 200,000 gold I'll never spend, and wondering where all the hours went.

(Having to re-run the SK in the retail version is going to be torturous.)

Trickster

So like I said before, I'm just doing SK runs for exp and gold to get to 13. Anyone else have a strategy they use to get to 13?

Don't think you need a specific strategy to get to 13 in the beta. Just play on one character for a few hours and boom, you're level 13.

Carm

Monk has been a pretty big disappointment throughout the entire beta for me. It's better than the Wizard, but I knew I wasn't gonna like the Wizard much since I didn't play a Sorc in D2 till a couple of years ago. Barbarian is gonna be the huge favorite of players, I can see it doubling some other classes playerbase wise. Just having leap alone puts a grin on my face and then makes me sad because my favorite class, Demonhunter, has the vault ability and I can't vault over fences, chasms, railings.

DH=WD>>BB>>>>MK>>>>>>>>>>>>Wiz.

Venfayth

Don't think you need a specific strategy to get to 13 in the beta. Just play on one character for a few hours and boom, you're level 13.

Nah, you definitely don't need one, I can get it doing this just fine. Was just curious if anyone had found any super fast ways to do it.

I also agree with Barbarian. He's just a great starter character to get a feel for stats/equipment. Since you like melee, that's great.
You won't be disappointed, he's really fun.

chris-013

At the release, play both to lv10 and then decide. You must test to have a feel of the class. IMO, I prefer the monk.

Nah, you definitely don't need one, I can get it doing this just fine. Was just curious if anyone had found any super fast ways to do it.

Equipments with +xp is the fastest way.

Trickster

Omg it's hilarious !!!
Starcraft 2 players will be gods in diablo 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-19jPAmFwM&feature=youtu.be

Seriously the walking exploit is the same in starcraft 2 so I'm not sure they can patch it so easily... the attack speed of the weapon becomes useless.

Gonna play a DH at release, so I obviously made one in the beta to try it. Really loved doing the same thing as the dude in the video does, not really needed on normal. But maybe it will make it easier at higher difficulties :)

Anyone know if the english client has different voices than the american client ?

Was curious too, found this for ya:
What platforms and languages do you support?

For the stress test we're offering the client in English, French, and German for both Windows and Mac.
At release the game will be fully localized into English, Latin American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese,
French, German, European Spanish, Italian, Polish, Korean, and Traditional Chinese for Windows, and English, French, and German for Mac.

source

chris-013

So it's the same ? it's not very clear... but if they are the same what is the difference between the enGB client and the enUS client...

LordCanti

Gonna play a DH at release, so I obviously made one in the beta to try it. Really loved doing the same thing as the dude in the video does, not really needed on normal. But maybe it will make it easier at higher difficulties :)

If we're talking about using Caltrops to slow enemies down, and then kiting them, I'm not sure it will be of much use at higher difficulties. It will be great for slower enemies but the fast ones will run right through Caltrops (or teleport through, etc) and make it less of an effective strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom