• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realyn

How many of you plan to do hardcore mode right out the gate?

I'll. Sadly none of my friends will. Meh :/.

I'm planing on streaming it too. Why? Well, why not. Since I got really lucky with a air cooled 4,9 2500k streaming wasn't a problem even in GW2.

Aesthet1c

Diablo 3 beta ends.... and my Diablo 3 website is now complete! (Well atleast available to public) I had some neogaf users help test the website, like my graphs for auction house values etc. I never posted a link to the website (Just in PM's)

Is it against rules for me to post my website? I would love more community feedback/ideas for features.

I'm unsure if it's against the rules or not, but I would love to check out a fellow GAFers D3 site.

forrest

formerly nacire
Yeah, I was in the beta since January and it just wasn't enough of the game to get me really addicted. It still flabbergasts me that there are people with hundreds of hours invested into playing such a small snippet of the full game.

Well to be fair, abilities, etc. would often change between patches. I've tried many of the different classes abilities that weren't offered in the last few beta patches. So it wasn't always the same.

Sothpaw

So, you played a different beta than the people that were playing through the updates.

I can say the reason I played so many hours is because the little slice of the full game was more fun and satisfying to play than 100% of many other games.

D3 beta has absolutely nothing on the DOTA 2 beta so one play per character was plenty for me.

Salz01

I think the next milestone I'm waiting for is for the NeoGaf Diablo 3 OT. Not until then will I get officially excited for the game. I already know what my first post in that thread is going to be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
10% auction fee if the item sells, right? If it doesn't sell then nothing is taken?

BobDylan

So the game is coming out pretty soon and I dont think there is any way for me not to get this. I have not paid attention at all to the game yet. This game consumed my middle school/ early high school years. my questions is will this game have the same addiction that I love/hate about d2. Ive relapsed many times on d2 but never to the same effect as when I first started. thats what im looking for

Soooooo.......I havent preordered yet. I'm assuming buying online the day of, the download will be horrendous. Anyone know how big the full game is?? Better idea to get a real copy so that I can just install it super quick? Can I still preorder anywhere?

Well, I don't think anything game wise can compare to my middle school years, but based on my brief experience in the open beta, I think I'm going to have a hell of a good time playing D3.

LordCanti

Soooooo.......I havent preordered yet. I'm assuming buying online the day of, the download will be horrendous. Anyone know how big the full game is?? Better idea to get a real copy so that I can just install it super quick? Can I still preorder anywhere?

You can preload the entire game now without paying first. The link is back a page or two. (it was 7gb-ish, if I'm remembering correctly)

If you want to play right at midnight PDT, the only option is digitally buying the game from Blizzard.

You can buy online and preload it, you just can't run the installer until it unlocks. It was about 7gb, nothing too huge. I'm assuming there will be a patch DL day of, which is probably true for this disc install as well.

Yeah, any client side tweaks they've made will need to be patched in right away. That's the server that will probably be hit the hardest (unless they distribute the patch over P2P or something).

You can buy online and preload it, you just can't run the installer until it unlocks. It was about 7gb, nothing too huge. I'm assuming there will be a patch DL day of, which is probably true for this disc install as well.

So the game is coming out pretty soon and I dont think there is any way for me not to get this. I have not paid attention at all to the game yet. This game consumed my middle school/ early high school years. my questions is will this game have the same addiction that I love/hate about d2. Ive relapsed many times on d2 but never to the same effect as when I first started. thats what im looking for

...maybe? I don't know what answer you're looking for about your potential future subjective personal experience for a game you haven't read or watched anything about or played.

Personally, the beta seemed very addictive.

BobDylan

...maybe? I don't know what answer you're looking for about your potential future subjective personal experience for a game you haven't read or watched anything about or played.

Personally, the beta seemed very addictive.

pretty much what im looking for. the addictiveness of the game compared to D2

forrest

formerly nacire
Wrath of the Berserker looks awesome.

It didn't seem like each individual arrow was doing enough damage to justify using it. It looks cool, but functionally...mmm...

Maybe it's better runed.

Having used it in beta for awhile, it really didn't feel like much more than an easy way to break environment objects as it would even shoot them through walls. I never felt like it did any substantial damage to mobs or at least enough to justify even using the ability. When retail hits and all of the runes are unlocked we shall see, but for now I don't see a reason to use it. Also, the animation could be better.

maharg

idspispopd
Having used it in beta for awhile, it really didn't feel like much more than an easy way to break environment objects as it would even shoot them through walls. I never felt like it did any substantial damage to mobs or at least enough to justify even using the ability. When retail hits and all of the runes are unlocked we shall see, but for now I don't see a reason to use it. Also, the animation could be better.

Strafe was in the beta? Are you sure you aren't thinking of the machine gun skill I forget the name of? Strafe is auto-aim.

mizuk_i

Strafe was in the beta? Are you sure you aren't thinking of the machine gun skill I forget the name of? Strafe is auto-aim.

Can't remember what patch it was in but it was after they changed the Rune system to what we have now. It was also really bad would use it and it would target breakable objects over monsters.

forrest

formerly nacire

Rapid Fire is what you're thinking of, and yeah Strafe was in beta for a bit. Some others that were in at one point or another were: Shadow Power, Grenades, Evasive Fire, Fan of Knives, Elemental Arrow and Marked for Death.

I can't comment on the other classes as much, but they certainly rolled out many different lineups in terms of what you could use by level 13 as a Demon Hunter.

*the passive Steady Aim was also in at one point as well.

LordCanti

It's been a lot of years, but the big thing in making (bow wielding) Amazon's hell viable in D2 was penetration, wasn't it (while hiding behind a mercenary)? I can't see a spell like D3's strafe being viable at all in hell or inferno if things turn out to be similar. You're hitting a lot of enemies, but not dispatching them fast enough.

(Obviously we don't know exactly how the runes will work yet, of course)

I desperately hope the live servers accept my connection more readily than the beta servers. Had to play the beta in <10 minute chunks over five months because of constant connection errors and the only time it ever appeared to be fixed was during the open weekend.

Holy moly a ton more posts for the battletag list, I'll get to it soon!

Well, you got two weeks! Thanks for the organizational effort, with all those possibilities solo play should be completely optional, which is totally awesome. I imagine it's going to continue to grow as we get closer to release (and probably a bunch right after).

SupaNaab

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet but Athene and Kripparrian (both are fairly well known gamers for world/server firsts in WoW) put up a video discussing their goals and tactics for achieving world firsts in D3. I believe it's been said there are no such achievements listed in-game; so this is purely e-peen contesting. It is interesting to see discussion of the meta-game and how they plan to accomplish their goals though (however the discussion is vague).

Video + Summary

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good luck to Athene! He's a great man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom