• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrest

formerly nacire
Was out of town for the weekend with very little internet time. Sheesh thread blew up with some WASD drama! Lol! DAMN IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!

Realyn

So ... my 2 just cents on athene, that other guy and the video that just got posted.

Well, I really don't want to sound arrogant, but basically what he is saying:
-Turn on player names to see your allies.
-Turn on dmg numbers to see how much damage you do.
-And so on and on.

You have to do that to crunch numbers to know if you evaded, blocked or whatever. NO SHIT SHERLOCK? While saying all that he sounds like he just majored@MIT or smth. I guess he really believes his "skills" are somewhat special.

edit: Don't get me wrong. I'm a very competitve person myself. Both in RL as in video games. But this guy is soooo full of shit, jeez.

Kaiden

Neo Member
My entire day / week has been:

• Write a sentence on a note card for my upcoming, final exam.
  • Refresh the Diablo 3 thread.
  • Repeat ad infinitum.

This is bad, you guys.

ape2man

can anyone explain to me why d3 needs a internet connection. I liked the beta but damn the required internet connection is really holding me back from buying this game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My entire day / week has been:

• Write a sentence on a note card for my upcoming, final exam.
  • Refresh the Diablo 3 thread.
  • Repeat ad infinitum.

This is bad, you guys.

Does your repeat actually include the first step?

epmode

can anyone explain to me why d3 needs a internet connection. I liked the beta but damn the required internet connection is really holding me back from buying this game.
Money (and security to a lesser extent). While it would be possible to create two modes, secure (innernet required) and insecure (characters stored locally), I figure that Blizzard would rather focus on an online mode that lets their real-money-auction-house shine. The online-only requirement is also great DRM since so much of the code is stored on the server side.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Here's mine:

*Wake up, realize it's happening soon
*Check GAF
*Sleep

Repeat :_:

Essentially, to keep out cheaters/hackers. They had some shady logic comparing it to Diablo 2 where if you made a solo character, you couldn't just transfer it to an online character because they didn't know if you cheated or not, so you would have had to remake your character into an online character, which sucked. Sounds like a bad excuse, right? :)

Personally, I think requiring an internet connection really sucks, but I'm probably one of the few with a still unreliable internet connection. This requirement isn't enough to keep me away from the game, but it is definitely a huge negative for me.

ape2man

Money (and security to a lesser extent). While it would be possible to create two modes, secure (innernet required) and insecure (characters stored locally), I figure that Blizzard would rather focus on an online mode that lets their real-money-auction-house shine. The online-only requirement is also great DRM since so much of the code is stored on the server side.

So there checking every action i take. that explains the lag i was getting with the single player beta.

chiablo

Still can't stand listening to that guy. And lol at using Gunnars. Guess he want's to join the league of prestiguous top players such as Catz and Incontrol

I think it's hilarious that he's so proud of his badly drawn avatar that he has to plaster it everywhere.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm new to Diablo, finished the beta and Torchlight once though. So my question is - what's the correct loot procedure? I got quite a few rare items in the beta , but they usually had worse stats than the stuff I had so I just sold them back to the merchant in town. Given that the price for rare items wasn't that great and that they indeed seem to be 1:50 rare, that seems pointless.

So how do real players deal with stuff they pick up? Pick up everything and keep going back to own when inventory is full? Store rare items in the box? Rather than selling them?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm new to Diablo, finished the beta and Torchlight once though. So my question is - what's the correct loot procedure? I got quite a few rare items in the beta , but they usually had worse stats than the stuff I had so I just sold them back to the merchant in town. Given that the price for rare items wasn't that great and that they indeed seem to be 1:50 rare, that seems pointless.

So how do real players deal with stuff they pick up? Pick up everything and keep going back to own when inventory is full? Store rare items in the box? Rather than selling them?
Ignore gray
Pickup whites to vendor as trash if you have room (sell rate is pretty awful compared to gold pickup)
Salvage every single blue or yellow item that is bad

Equip good items

__
Torchlight your pet can hold like 50 items or something and you send them to vend stuff for you in dungeon every 2 minutes so it breaks the flow less. I think you just vend in Torchlight everything bad.

Im trying really hard not to get super hyped, seriously. Hype is a weird thing; its like my brain wants to tell me that this thing is going to end all of my problems, void filled, complete contentment. Reason tells me this isnt the case, but hype makes me want to believe, quench that unquenchanle thirst. Id like to let the game come when it comes, enjoy it for what it is, and let myself continue on with more pressing issues in my life.

But dammit, hype is just...well its fucking fun. It seems idle time is blizzards workshop, and el diablo is ready for a piece of my soul!

Ignore gray
Pickup whites to vendor as trash if you have room (sell rate is pretty awful compared to gold pickup)

Equip good items

__
Torchlight your pet can hold like 50 items or something and you send them to vend stuff for you in dungeon every 2 minutes so it breaks the flow less. I think you just vend in Torchlight everything bad.

After the buff to sell price in one of the beta patches, it may also be worth vendoring some of the useless blues if you need the cash and don't need the salvage materials.

I honestly think large amounts of gold will be more valuable than any crafting materials you could get in normal since you have to sink a lot of gold to upgrade the stash and vendors, which are both more important in the long run.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I honestly think large amounts of gold will be more valuable than any crafting materials you could get in normal since you have to sink a lot of gold to upgrade the stash and vendors, which are both more important in the long run.
Excellent thinking!

injurai

Banned
After the buff to sell price in one of the beta patches, it may also be worth vendoring some of the useless blues if you need the cash and don't need the salvage materials.

Don't sink gold into the stash, use it for crafting and building up an early advantage on the AH. use alts has mules if you have to, the stash is a giant gold sink that you don't need to fall into.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ignore gray

Equip good items

Cool, thanks. Wasn't familiar with the salvage mechanic, sounds great because with all this talk of rare drops I was afraid I would just waste some crazy item for 200 monies, but getting rare raw material out of them seems like the way to benefit. Need to get those recipes then, too. So much stuff could be just ignored in the beta.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ignore gray

Equip good items

__
They made it even easier in the second one. You can hide white items from even showing up and you can send your pet to pick stuff up directly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

With blues selling for paltry amounts and gold dropping like candy, I don't know. Any gold savings you build up in Normal will be very minimal, so you might as well gamble on some items to help you level faster imo.

If you need gold to craft then go right ahead, just make sure you have a healthy stock of crafting mats and gold. I found myself about even and broke on both gold and mats when I was crafting.

injurai

Banned
With blues selling for paltry amounts and gold dropping like candy, I don't know. Any gold savings you build up in Normal will be very minimal, so you might as well gamble on some items to help you level faster imo.

If you need gold to craft then go right ahead, just make sure you have a healthy stock of crafting mats and gold. I found myself about even and broke on both gold and mats when I was crafting.

Experience will be the most important thing in normal. The faster you gain experience the faster you get to the expensive loot, and thus more gold.

LordCanti

I'll probably hoard gold until the RMAH opens and we can see what the value ends up being. One person that has upgraded their crafting should be able to do a lot of the early level crafting for a group that plays together, so you can always keep at least current level gear (if none is dropping for you). They may have an advantage later when the higher level crafting comes into play, but then again, their money/material sink may be so high that the resulting decent items they get may not be that spectacular (for instance, I made over a hundred flamberge's, and got maybe 10 really good ones, 20 reasonable ones, and then 70 pieces of junk). Letting other people take the risk may not be a horrible idea, depending on how much the items go for. This potentially shifts when rare blacksmith items come into play (where you need the rare plans to make them) but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Experience will be the most important thing in normal. The faster you gain experience the faster you get to the expensive loot, and thus more gold.

My sentiments exactly. Since they aren't opening the RMAH on day one, there is really no reason to hold onto items that people might have been sucked into looking to purchase on day one. Maybe the best lower level loot should be saved (on alts) for the potential influx of people buying the game late (and looking for an advantage) but plowing ahead is the number one goal.

Edit: Number two goal rather, with goal number one being fun.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Edit: Number two goal rather, with goal number one being fun.
INCORRECT.

Although I've been toying with the idea of playing at a fast pace, but just not flat out skipping everything now.

Probably like listening to bits of story lines here and there on the main quest and spamming space/esc on everything else.

Who wants to play with me 24 hours on launch? :D

LordCanti

INCORRECT.

Although I've been toying with the idea of playing at a fast pace, but just not flat out skipping everything now.

Probably like listening to bits of story lines here and there on the main quest and spamming space/esc on everything else.

Who wants to play with me 24 hours on launch? :D

You've got my hand crossbows...until my wrist falls off about ten hours after launch.

I'm planning to play until I drop
a deuce, at which point I'm going to need a break.

LordCanti

Jesus. Will hurt for you to take two minutes of your time to use the proper bathroom? lol

It would literally take equal amounts of time for me either way due to my en suite bathroom. Trying to fit myself into a pee bottle securely enough that I could be sure nothing would spill would take longer than just standing up, taking five steps, and using the actual restroom.

I may go in the sink though, because flushing means a hand wash and hand washing takes valuable time.

I'm obviously joking

10 hours? For shame.

I fully expect the game to go down when people wake up, so 10 is probably a good estimate of how much actual playing time will be had.

If it stays up, I'm playing until I fall asleep at my chair. My cellphone is going off, and it's going to be as if I were dead to the outside world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom