• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 - Necromancer Pack - June 27th - $14.99

DeviantBoi

Was gonna buy this. Downloaded D3 again on my PS4 but it won't start. Says the application is corrupted. Re-downloaded again and the same thing.

Oh, well.

UK prices are a joke, digital is super overpriced here so the discount price is nearly as much as a brand new game at retail.

Disc release this shit already so can buy it at an acceptable price in a few months.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah, the necro is pretty fun so far. Can't wait to see what he's like at 70 with some decent sets and legendaries.

Fair word of warning to the more occasional D3 players in here who sound so enamored with the game and think they're gonna sink in another 300 hours just for the necro: you probably won't, unless you're ultra-hardcore and want to get at the very top of the leaderboards.

For better and for worse, Diablo 3 is much more accessible and fun than it used to be pre-expansion
or than PoE
, but each update has made it faster and faster for your character to reach a high paragon level with great items. And if you're weak like me and go to websites like Diablofans, you'll rapidly know what the best builds are for your class and will be able to gear up for them really fast. There's a reason why like prominent D3 streamers like Quin69 dropped the game for a while. It's deep enough to have fun for a decent amount of time, but it's not that deep. Good thing Rhykker picked up the torch.

Most people will get bored after a few weeks. But those few weeks will be quite a ride. That's why the €15 ticket is still worth it to me, but I doubt it's going to bring me back for good after 1,000 hours of playing roughly the same content with less and less challenge, and several burn-out periods. Here's to hoping I'm wrong though. I would love to be.

Don't let me be a buzzkill though. It's just a warning. Enjoy the ride, folks. For it is enjoyable indeed.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah, the necro is pretty fun so far. Can't wait to see what he's like at 70 with some decent sets and legendaries.

Fair word of warning to the more occasional D3 players in here who sound so enamored with the game and think they're gonna sink in another 300 hours just for the necro: you probably won't, unless you're ultra-hardcore and want to get at the very top of the leaderboards.

For better and for Diablo 3 is much more accessible and fun than it used to be pre-expansion
or than PoE
, but each update has made it faster and faster for your character to reach a high paragon level with great items. And if you're weak like me and go to websites like Diablofans, you'll rapidly know what the best builds are for your class and will be able to gear up for them really fast.

Most people will get bored after a few weeks. But those few weeks will be quite a ride. That's why the €15 ticket is still worth it to me, but I doubt it's going to bring me back for good after 1,000 hours and several complete burn-out periods. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Enjoy the ride, folks. For it is enjoyable indeed.

Pretty sure i will get 300 out of necro just to try some self made builds and play around 😋

Manu

The skeleton archers are just hnnnnng.

Just sit back, siphon blood and spam skeletons, blow up the dead, and relax.

Damn, I should try those.

So I can have those archers AND my skeleton gank squad active at the same time, yeah?

AND revives AND golem. So, skeles, mages/archers, golem, 10 revives. So much shit on the screen that you can't even figure out where you are or what you're hitting lol

Will F

Really enjoying the Necromancer so far, looking forward to getting him to max level. Considering the amount of free post-release support they've put in I have no problem with giving Blizzard $15 for this.

When playing single player, non season, what's the fastest strategy for leveling up?

From last page:

I just go into Adventure Mode on Hard with new characters and ran Halls of Agony (Act 1, the zone where the Butcher is), because enemy density is super high there. I'd play Story up to Skeleton King to get Leoric's Crown, then socket my best ruby into there, but I wouldn't play the entire thing when Adventure Mode exists.

Basically, following this guide can get you to 70 in a day or two: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ipexFr-zZlriuMA-4FC6Lapbkc/edit#gid=699801965

Yoshi88

If I want to play couch co-op on PS4 with two players who both are regular, registered PSN users: Do both have to have bought the Necro pack to play him on one console or is it sufficient if the user, whose primary PS4 is used to play on, owns it?

Lorcain

I forgot that I could swap skill types for the assigned buttons (PS4). I was lamenting not being able to run my skeleton gang of 7 and a golem. So much fun being able to have skellies out, a mage archer, and a golem.

Thanks to synergy in skills, my Necro can eeeeeasily run T3 Greater Rifts atm...and oh my god...it's SO satisfying to chain dozens/100s of mobs, then nuke them all with Corpse Explosion while my Skeleton army wail away. I never end up using the Skeleton Archers though, so I might switch it around.

Woorloog

Banned
I forgot that I could swap skill types for the assigned buttons (PS4). I was lamenting not being able to run my skeleton gang of 7 and a golem. So much fun being able to have skellies out, a mage archer, and a golem.

Try to fit in Revive too. Just because. Maximum minions.

That works out to... 25 pets or so at best. Very difficult to have more than 7 Skeleton Mages up at once due to Essence being at premium.

Combine with Jesseth's Arms at least.
Shame that thing can't be use with Legacy of Nightmares...

I have Diablo 3 digital on PS4. I bought the Necromancer, but I can't create the character. What's going on?

When I try to make one, the class name is grayed out, and it opens up the Playstation Store to show me that I've already bought the DLC.

??????????

Edit: Restoring my licenses fixed it. Settings > PSN > Restore Licenses.

Carm

Anyone else missing the banner and sigil on PS4? I seem to have everything else, restoring license doesn't fix it.

Staf

I started playing through the story again with necro last night. Forgot how much fun D3 is. Top 3 on PS4.

grmlin

Yeah. Didn't play D3 for at least 1,5 years. Bought the necro yesterday and holy fuck, this game is so good.

And wow do I like the Necromancer. What a fun character, money well spent!

A Gem of Ease at lvl 25 (or higher) socketed into a lvl 70 weapon will get you to 70 stupidly fast. I got my Necro to lvl 25 in mere seconds.

Also if you dont mind a little bit of grinding and have a lvl 70 character, you can use the gem of ease method to remove lvl restrictions on a armor or weapons.

Nokterian

I love the new environments that are added.

So i just need to test the pet set overall the other two sets, pestilence and blood set are nice but i prefer the bone armor set since that one can come out as the strongest maybe it will change before the new season launches.

Matty77

Got some money today (thought I would have to wait until next week) so I just went in on the Necro. Will spend this downtime learning everything about it because I am going to dedicate myself to just a hardcore necromancer for next season so I want to be prepped for what my build will be.

Really excited for this one.

Dinged 70 last night, mostly from Adventure mode and basic rifts.

Decided that running with the skeleton army and curses felt way too much like my Witch Doctor, so mixed it up and went with a build focused on corpses (Corpse Lance, Bone Spear, Command Golem, Blood Siphon, Frailty and Bone Spirit), most tailored to do poison damage to take advantage of the Rigor Mortis passive. But I also had the blood siphon rune to pull in health orbs generated by the Life from Death passive. So, lots of quick direct damage, some solid healing, and only one (big) minion.

Worked out really damn well so far. Either I'd fuel corpse lance from corpses on the field or else sacrifice the Golem to generate a stack of em. Corpse lance is powerful as hell and eats up elites and bosses super quick. Frailty provides a serious damage buff, good in soloing and even better in support, and when enemies got too close or when I just needed some burst damage at the ready Bone Spirit was always there to do the trick.

Wish Skele Archers were permanent pets like the Warriors. It feels like in some aspects they could have gone further but maybe it was a balancing issue, or just how their engine handles things. Changed the Archers to a Curse skill but it feels a bit weird, might change it. Definetley expect to play Necro until it's "geared" and run GRs as high as I can, the added tilesets help Rifts quite a bit and the general pacing increase helps.

cakely

Wish Skele Archers were permanent pets like the Warriors. It feels like in some aspects they could have gone further but maybe it was a balancing issue, or just how their engine handles things. Changed the Archers to a Curse skill but it feels a bit weird, might change it. Definetley expect to play Necro until it's "geared" and run GRs as high as I can, the added tilesets help Rifts quite a bit and the general pacing increase helps.

I have no real information on this but I'd bet there's a legendary item or set effect that keeps the skeleton archers up permanently. It would be in line with other DIII effects.

Manu

I ended up changing the archers to the single Wizard that consumes all your essence at once, while using the Blood Siphon rune that stacks damage on each hit. Meanwhile I have the Warriors and a Bone Golem running around. I'm only lvl 39 and the damage output is ridiculous already.

AlexBasch

I'm slogging through the game again, since I triple-dipped on XB1. :(

That said, is power leveling a thing in this game? Like getting my LV.1 Crusader in a high level/difficulty session and staying behind racking up points? :p

Skab

That said, is power leveling a thing in this game? Like getting my LV.1 Crusader in a high level/difficulty session and staying behind racking up points? :p

I don't know about consoles, but on pc yes. You can be level 70 and in a full six piece set in a matter of hours.

I assume you mean multiplayer? Yeah, you can, but I would use caution if doing so in a public session. Lotta folks have modded items that do impossible damage and have insane EXP modifiers so you'll get leveled to some insanely high Paragon level in mere moments.

AlexBasch

I don't know about consoles, but on pc yes. You can be level 70 and in a full six piece set in a matter of hours.

I assume you mean multiplayer? Yeah, you can, but I would use caution if doing so in a public session. Lotta folks have modded items that do impossible damage and have insane EXP modifiers so you'll get leveled to some insanely high Paragon level in mere moments.
Yeah, wasn't planning on doing so in the open sessions because of the cheaters and whatnot. It's just that I'm completely starting over in XB1 after beating the game in PS4 and having adventure mode and the higher difficulties unlocked from the beginning.

Might get the Necro for the PC version as well. Do you require a mic to properly play in multiplayer? Never done any MP for Diablo 3, tbh. Thank you both!

IMO a new class could easily be 20-30 dollars given the amount of hours that went into RnD and prepreduction, design, animtion, effects, ui, testing and qa. A staggering amount of people are usually involved to bring a new class to lie, and it takes the work of nearly every department from sound engineering to networking to programming to get a new class to work. You're talking about many thousands of collaborative work.

By this logic a full game shouldn't be sold for anything less than $200.

Strakt

An entire new class is not some map pack. How can some of you say that 15 dollars is to much?

It's a new freaking class. If you're invested in the game, that is a lot of gameplay that is potentially interesting to you. On the other hand, its not locked behind new areas or story which forces you to pay for a class you're not interested in.

IMO a new class could easily be 20-30 dollars given the amount of hours that went into RnD and prepreduction, design, animtion, effects, ui, testing and qa. A staggering amount of people are usually involved to bring a new class to lie, and it takes the work of nearly every department from sound engineering to networking to programming to get a new class to work. You're talking about many thousands of collaborative work.

This is not like some minor thing that a bunch of map designers or modellers conjured up in a few weeks. A new class is a big deal. 15 dollars is a very competitive price.

Now, I've not tried the class, so I cannot speak to its quality in specific, but generally speaking you get a new class in a 40-60 dollars expansion and that is seen as a major feature. So it's hard for me to see how 15 is too much.

Because 15 dollars is too much for a class in a game that has been offering lackluster content. For a game that has a 3-5 month gap between content updates, the amount of changes/ new content blizzard puts in is disappointing to a lot of diablo fans. Look at diablos competitors, they put out as much content blizz has put out the entire time RoS has been out in a single patch for free. RoS was great when it came out and the first few seasons were fun but it seems like blizz has run out of ideas to incorporate into RoS and are saving them for a future expansion/d2 remake/ diablo 4. Them releasing this chaeacter pack is just a way to somewhat keep the game from dying and to make a few.extra bucks

Staf

God damnit man. Playing through the story mode again two year later and Blizzard are still the king of cinematic cutscenes. The ones between the acts that is.

Nokterian

Because 15 dollars is too much for a class in a game that has been offering lackluster content. For a game that has a 3-5 month gap between content updates, the amount of changes/ new content blizzard puts in is disappointing to a lot of diablo fans. Look at diablos competitors, they put out as much content blizz has put out the entire time RoS has been out in a single patch for free. RoS was great when it came out and the first few seasons were fun but it seems like blizz has run out of ideas to incorporate into RoS and are saving them for a future expansion/d2 remake/ diablo 4. Them releasing this chaeacter pack is just a way to somewhat keep the game from dying and to make a few.extra bucks

Lmao 15 dollars to much, what kind of shit posting is this? Clearly you never touched the game after RoS when i read a sentence. You are saying that a indie studio despite i never liked Path of Exile, the combat is lackluster and despite lots and lots of builds i do not feel for that game, sure it has it owns premise but comparing this to PoE

One of the reasons i keep returning every season is because i want to start fresh they add new loot,new environments,new quality of life improvements. Blizzard is known for taking time with there games and quality goes above quantity.

Your post to me is just nagging because you saying stuff like there out of ideas? Like you never played ever again when after 2.0? Under what rock are living in? They added many free content per patch.

Did you not read that post on how much work it costs to make a class? It took nearly a year to make it, there will patches on the way to balance and change things.

Lothars

Yeah but blizzards competitors are making games not near as good as diablo 3. The price they are asking is entirely fair.

Cracklox

Lmao 15 dollars to much, what kind of shit posting is this? Clearly you never touched the game after RoS when i read a sentence. You are saying that a indie studio despite i never liked Path of Exile, the combat is lackluster and despite lots and lots of builds i do not feel for that game, sure it has it owns premise but comparing this to PoE

One of the reasons i keep returning every season is because i want to start fresh they add new loot,new environments,new quality of life improvements. Blizzard is known for taking time with there games and quality goes above quantity.

Your post to me is just nagging because you saying stuff like there out of ideas? Like you never played ever again when after 2.0? Under what rock are living in? They added many free content per patch.

Did you not read that post on how much work it costs to make a class? It took nearly a year to make it, there will patches on the way to balance and change things.

I wouldn't say it's a shitpost. That poster is hardly the only with price concerns. I think it's a touch high, but then I can't stop comparing it to what Grim Dawn will be launching in the next few months for what will be around the same price. Two new classes, (one of them an arguably much better necro) new story act, raised level cap, new skills and devotions and a heap more

Sure, it's being sold as an 'expansion' as opposed to a character pack, but the value will be unquestionably better, even if I was into the d3 necro. And maybe the game doesn't have the polish that Diablo has, but it more then makes up for it with a much better story and lore and most importantly, some actual build diversity where some creative, outside of the box thinking, can often yield some great results. Sometimes it doesn't, but experimenting with that sort of stuff is a big part of these games for me

Diablos fun to actually play, but it doesn't challenge my thinking too much in how to get the most out of a character unfortunately

Top Bottom