• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Open Beta starting this weekend

Jasoneyu

Finally got to do a full run-through of the beta. Great stuff. I played the Witch Doctor and was really enjoying the class by the end. Day one for me now.

Same, weird since I normally play barb first time though but the witch doctor is really appealing with crowd control pets and AOE status effects. I think my first playthrough will be the WD.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My choice to use WD as my main is being validated. LOL @ the giant frog! Also, how can you not wanna throw jars of fucking spiders, cause rains of poison frogs, and summon that Gargantuan fellow!? Awesome shit.

mbmonk

Servers should be fine. That's the point of open beta. And why shop at GS when you could just purchase the game through b.net and pre-download it and be ready to go? Sure beats waiting in line. :D

I hope you are correct :).

How did SC2 server do on launch day? I bought it much later after release.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anyone know if SC2 had an open beta weekend? If so, how did that go? Just trying to figure out what to expect. Crossing my fingers that launch will be really smooth.

SC2 was semi-open, if you preordered at the right time you could get a key.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So, will I need any of the beta data or should I uninstall everything? No big deal but the client is still installed.

KAL2006

Banned
I actually enjoy playin with every class in this game. I will at some point max level all classes but my first class will probably be Barb just for the cool looking loot.

qazqaNii

I really wanted that you could swap with skills on atleast your right mouse with the F# buttons.

ala diablo 2 style with my hammerdin F4 teleport F3 Concentration and keep changing these, press W for buffs = CTA for BO and so on. Oh btw was there a 2nd alternative weapon option like W on Diablo 2 couldn't find that either.

LiquidMetal14

Technically you can preload the full version without buying it on battle.net already, I have the full game preloaded as well.

But will you be able to unlock when I have my compact diskette?!?!?! I would do it your way but I had to use in store credit with some games to buy the game. I want that retail box anyways.

I hope Blizzard let's you register the game so you can have the DL version too, like the Witcher 2 and GOG.

red731

But will you be able to unlock when I have my compact diskette?!?!?! I would do it your way but I had to use in store credit with some games to buy the game. I want that retail box anyways.

I hope Blizzard let's you register the game so you can have the DL version too, like the Witcher 2 and GOG.

I dont know if I am getting you guys, but I have retail preordered and want to play as soon as possible.
Can I donwload the client now, without the need of buying online and then write the CD-KEY and play?
If so, can you link me(us) to said preloader file?
Thank yous

Yes, when you register your CD key to your Bnet profile you can just throw the game away if you want.

Suairyu

Banned
What I find really interesting about a game such as Diablo is how lots of different people can take completely different things away from each character. How I felt completely unempowered and like I was doing something wrong with the Wizard class yet others feel like gods of destruction. How I feel like a spry, tactical death machine with the Demon Hunter yet others feel like a weak fool.

And really, all this is only when we're forced into sharing the same builds. When we're floating around level 30 and being able to completely change the way these characters work should we so wish, how we're all going to have opinions of each class that are even more wildly divergent.

Such possibilities and playstyle diversity is fascinating to me, and I cannot even begin to imagine the work Blizzard have to do to balance these things.

Aesthet1c

Sp which ID do my friends need in order to add me so we can play together?

Your battletag is what you need to give them. If they are good friends you can give them your battle.net email and become Real ID friends.

I dont know if I am getting you guys, but I have retail preordered and want to play as soon as possible.
Can I donwload the client now, without the need of buying online and then write the CD-KEY and play?
Thank yous

Yes

V_Arnold

Blizzard games ALL work the same way.

You use the client that is currently up to date. That is the same everywhere. I guess you can find a mirror of the preloaded version on the internet, if you do not want to wait until the purchase.

But once you have your KEY, you activate it on your Battle.Net account, and from that point onwards, you can download the client from Battle.net unlimited times, or you can use any pre-installed clients whenever you want, by using your name/password.

So...

LiquidMetal14

Yes, when you register your CD key to your Bnet profile you can just throw the game away if you want.

Excellent. I wish they would give me a pre-order key or something but as I said, I really want the boxed version for PC games I'm interested in. The Witcher games are like that for me. Boxed retail every time.

Tripwood

Download the client now, on the release day install the game from the client and enter your CD key from the box to your Battlenet account..

Having the digital preload on the disk is not of such importance to you if you are getting the box except that installation might go a bit faster from the hard drive.

Lothars

Thank yous
Yup once you get the physical copy just input the code into your battlenet account and it will unlock than you can login to the full game.

I have it downloaded without owning it on battle.net because I am getting the collectors edition but trying to find where I got it from and search is failing me.

LiquidMetal14

Download the client now, on the release day install the game from the client and enter your CD key from the box to your Battlenet account..

Having the digital preload on the disk is not of such importance to you if you are getting the box except that installation might go a bit faster from the hard drive.

That's why I don't feel so left out in this. I won't be able to finish pre-loading immediately at midnight but will install right from the disk as fast as possible without having to download anything.

I have to travel out of town to get it though. That sucks.

Cipherr

Damn this game is fun. Sad that I didnt get to get my Blacksmith to level 4, or whatever level it was for the achievement. I just had a lot to do this weekend :(

Good thing though is I got a look around and a feel for the game, the class I want to play and how I want to play it. So at release Ill hit the ground running. Can't wait.

Damn this game is fun. Sad that I didnt get to get my Blacksmith to level 4, or whatever level it was for the achievement. I just had a lot to do this weekend :(

Good thing though is I got a look around and a feel for the game, the class I want to play and how I want to play it. So at release Ill hit the ground running. Can't wait.

I am actually gonna have a harder time picking, I think. I was not expecting the Barbarian to be so fun.

Will any of your beta progress transfer to the main game on May 15th?

No. No achievements, no characters, no nothin'. Everything will be reset.

I am actually gonna have a harder time picking, I think. I was not expecting the Barbarian to be so fun.

I am having this issue. I found every class to be a lot of fun. Though Witch Doctor wasn't very much fun early on but made up for it later on. Had the same experience with Barb and I am now in between Wizard and Barb for my first character.

Drats :/ Oh well. The Beta was fun (first time playing any Diablo title) and I can't wait to grab my CE edition on 05/15.

MajorPain

I had a lot fun playing this weekend. I tried Barbarian, Monk and Demon Hunter. I put 4 hours into the Barbarian and about 2 hours into each of the other 2.

I thought every class was a lot of fun but I think I like Monk class the best. My main was going to be Barbarian but now I think I might change that to Monk.

Also wish I would have had a chance to try the Witch Doctor that class looks like it could be a lot of fun.

mrgone

128668361177902227.jpg

RAGHRHHLLHVBLLSLPTTFHT

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is there any way to get decent damage output out of your Templar buddy? Even when I give him a weapon with ~15 DPS he only ever does 1 or 2 damage per attack.

I have no idea why he's so damn insistent on having me help him get his spear back if he can do just as much damage punching things.

loved the game.

did anyone find the text a little small?

few personal cons:
default character stats.
skill "tree" set up
weapon doesnt dictate your default attack. why is the witch doctor carrying a knife if hes throwing jars of spiders?!

ToD_

loved the game.

did anyone find the text a little small?

few personal cons:
default character stats.
skill "tree" set up
weapon doesnt dictate your default attack. why is the witch doctor carrying a knife if hes throwing jars of spiders?!

Clearly he carved those jars with his knife.

Nugg

I did my best, but I'm still not in love with the WD. I usually hate pet classes, and this one is not an exception. :(

I can't wait for the amount of this:

iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

that will be happening on May 15th and beyond. Sure, there will still be some valid complaints, but I imagine a lot more crow eating than anything else. Especially having played with Hazaro and others in the extra content that was only available for a weekend before getting patched out.

I can't wait for the amount of this:

iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

that will be happening on May 15th and beyond. Sure, there will still be some valid complaints, but I imagine a lot more crow eating than anything else. Especially having played with Hazaro and others in the extra content that was only available for a weekend before getting patched out.

Yyyyyep. I am expecting a lot of that, too. ;)

Top Bottom