• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 will require a persistent Internet connection to play/has always online DRM

Alex

B!TCH said:
When I read things like this, it just makes me think that services like OnLive and Gaikai are the future of video games. If an internet connection is always required then, why not store a good chunk of the game in the cloud?

Bandwidth caps will keep that dream down for a lot of the public going forward.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
As long as being online at all times adds something to the game no matter what mode you are in, I'm fine with this. Features like Autolog and Demon's Souls online make me want to play those games online because I'm missing out on features of the game.

If there isn't any benefit to being online while playing SP, then Blizzard can fuck right off.

I wasn't very hyped for Diablo anyways, SC2 was too similar to SC1 to draw me in, and WoW is more of a drug than a decent game. IMO, of course.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
First the payed auction house, and now this.

Keep going Blizzard, you're on a roll.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm...I didn't know about this...
Goddamn why did Torchlight 2 have to get delayed? Strange how they seem to be going in the opposite direction when it comes to drm.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This kind of sucks and is a awful predicament for all future blizzard games (especially since starcraft 2 had a offline mode anyway), but I don't really mind this, since i always planned on playing this game online 100%.

Goldmund

Monocle said:
Developers should stop treating all of their customers like potential criminals (even if it's true).
Criminals have the habit of treating everyone else like criminals as well.

i stopped playing d2 single player a couple months after the expansion came out. once i dug into the online cooperative play it became the purest digital crack i have ever installed. this decision will have zero effect upon me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Don't bend over for this, people.

Bullshit is bullshit, whether it's Ubisoft or Activision.

Grinchy

Banned
Hm...not sure if want. I'm not the world's biggest Diablo fan as I was too late to the D2 game. It felt much too dated when I tried it. I've been looking forward to trying D3 out for a while, but I can't say I'm dying to hand my money over. Especially now, since I don't fully understand things like a real money AH. Not sure if I care about the DRM or not, but it does annoy me to know that I can't access games I purchased just because the company can't tell if I'm a thief.

V_Arnold

The Crimson Kid said:
As long as being online at all times adds something to the game no matter what mode you are in, I'm fine with this. Features like Autolog and Demon's Souls online make me want to play those games online because I'm missing out on features of the game.

If there isn't any benefit to being online while playing SP, then Blizzard can fuck right off.

I wasn't very hyped for Diablo anyways, SC2 was too similar to SC1 to draw me in, and WoW is more of a drug than a decent game. IMO, of course.

There is. You do not need to make a decision when creating a character now. No more "hm? Online char or offline?" If you level up your dood offline, you are free to go online with your friends instantly, no need to create a new char for that. Also, you can trade, use AH with your "single player" char, thus allowing you to gear up even when you have no drops for your class. Also, achievements.

odhiex

I am actually dissapointed about this. I've always wanted to play this game whenever and wherever I go on my laptop. Generally, I am not really interested on the auction house :(

hype level -1

KyteTron

Banned
E-Eh? Constant internet connection? It's bad enough I have to use my neighbors network and that disconnects every waking moment of my life... No buy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
V_Arnold said:
There is. You do not need to make a decision when creating a character now. No more "hm? Online char or offline?" If you level up your dood offline, you are free to go online with your friends instantly, no need to create a new char for that. Also, you can trade, use AH with your "single player" char, thus allowing you to gear up even when you have no drops for your class. Also, achievements.
None of this requires a constant connection for single player.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Gaylord Sweetwood said:
Diablo is meant to be played online IMO. Single Player is boring, so this will have zero effect on me. Day 1 indeed.

While this is true, its the fact that they're removing the option to play offline that is the problem.

Belgorim

If it secures the online experience and prevents hacks/dupes then I like it. I do however feel they should have had a single player mode that is strictly offline and not compatible with the online part.

I guess they instead decided to have a online single player experience with achievement that "count" for something etc.

It really comes as no suprise, considering that Blizzard has moved torwards this for years. I don´t like it, but I have to say that there is a difference to doing it for singleplayer focused games like Ubi does, and games where the online multiplayer part is a natural part of the game.

It is a bit ridiculous that they use friendslist and achievements as selling points for it. I feel I have enough of those lists already.

Even though I can accept this, I must say that it makes Torchlight II yet more attractive. Always online DRM and separate friends and achievements list vs natural Steamworks integration? I know what I want.

bluestuff

Htown said:

fun games are fun games?

Should i not be buying my shoes because a poor Chinese man, making pennies a day made them under some of the worst conditions possible?

fresquito

I'm glad I'm not grabbed by the balls like many posters here. There's no way to defend this, no matter how you look at it.

BTW, I'm too waiting for mods to change title to "Blizzard to PC gamers: "Pirate Diablo III"

Belfast

It's not really DRM, at least it's not totally different from the way MMOs handle character integrity. For a game like this with a healthy online component, I can see why some restrictions are necessary. It is kind of balls if you were planning on breaking out the laptop on a long trip or something, but in most cases, is this really an issue? This is a security feature that makes sure your online experience is, in theory, more palatable.

When UBI does it, on a primarily or totally single-player game, they're doing it to protect *their* interests only. It affords the consumer very little in those cases.

Edit: How hard is it to understand that this is to prevent dickheads from modding their offline characters and finding ways to bring them online and fuck up the economy or the game experience for other players? This is less of an anti-theft mechanism (though it certainly acts as one) and more of an anti-cheating measure.

Htown said:

Ubi is shoving this form of DRM into games that are purely single player or feature distinct, lengthy single player campaigns. the Diablo series is at its core multiplayer. doing runs with multiple people, fighting over drops, and participating in the economy are the biggest draws here, especially for long-term play. it really isn't a similar situation.

it's not like you could freely bring your single player d2 character online and have anywhere near the same experience as the server-side multiplayer. am i the only one that experienced open battle.net? it was a hack-filled shitfest where your character could get maliciously deleted just by joining the wrong asshole's game.

bluestuff

jim-jam bongs said:
Uh I'm not sure that's the same thing...
what I am saying is there are much worse issues that we can get on our soap boxes for, from products we buy every day, then a video game requiring an internet connection

Goldmund

Belfast said:
It's not really DRM, at least it's not totally different from the way MMOs handle character integrity. For a game like this with a healthy online component, I can see why some restrictions are necessary. It is kind of balls if you were planning on breaking out the laptop on a long trip or something, but in most cases, is this really an issue? This is a security feature that makes sure your online experience is, in theory, more palatable.

When UBI does it, on a primarily or totally single-player game, they're doing it to protect *their* interests only. It affords the consumer very little in those cases.
Yeah it's more I can't believe that's not DRM than DRM.

I'm worried, in the sense that I have a rather iffy connection that drops at least once a day, and I don't like the thought of being thrown out of the game in the middle of a boss fight or something. Blizzard, address this instead of talking about friendlists or whatever.

V_Arnold

Htown said:
None of this requires a constant connection for single player.

Except that when you have the option to play offline with something, hack it to hell and back, use your duped items and instantly go online with it as you please, you open the gate of hell, cheat and abuse. Simple and understandable, if one thinks about it.

Goldmund

V_Arnold said:
Except that when you have the option to play offline with something, hack it to hell and back, use your duped items and instantly go online with it as you please, you open the gate of hell, cheat and abuse. Simple and understandable, if one thinks about it.
None of this requires a constant connection for single player. You're describing a multiplayer character that is played with and without other players. Yes, those accounts should be stored server-side.

Sucks to hear it'll be using another pointless DRM method, it won't matter to me personally though. Seems like the dollars and time would be better spent elsewhere, because DRM doesn't even stop the people it's designed to.

Goldmund

TheExplodingHead said:
Sucks to hear it'll be using another pointless DRM method, it won't matter to me personally though. Seems like the dollars and time would be better spent elsewhere, because DRM doesn't even stop the people it's designed to.
Dude, on the plus side, we'll all be getting rich off the auction houses.

TheExplodingHead said:
This is designed to stop hackers and dupers, what sucks is that there is no offline only single player.

V_Arnold

Goldmund said:
None of this requires a constant connection for single player. You're describing a multiplayer character that is played with and without other players. Yes, those accounts should be stored server-side.

Well, then I rephrase: it is obvious that people should not be required to make decisions such as "will I make a character now that I cant ever go online with, even though EVERYTHING I do in 2011 is done online?"

That was manageable in the dawn of internet-age, but not in 2011. Of course you wont be cut off from the option of going online regardless if you play alone or in parties. But that decision brings online-allowed as a de-facto option, and THAT needs to be safe as hell.

I hate being tethered to a server that will sometimes let me not be able to play my game(downtimes,outages, maintenance, restarts,etc)! Also What if I am downloading shit and I want to play Diablo 3 by myself? Tofuckingbad?! fuck you BLIZZ.........I can't stay mad at you forever :p

amazing the amount of people complaining!!

Who the Hell doesn't have an eternet connection that's on all the time?

Diablo single player?? really!??? if you enjoyed single player online is X10 better.. and you can solo online as well.. just put a password on the game and play yourself..WTF

Sounds like those complaining never played diablo before. Weak.. the new news changing nothing

unless you're playing on a 56.6 modem :p

mxgt

Banned
edwardslane said:
amazing the amount of people complaining!!

Who the Hell doesn't have an eternet connection that's on all the time?

Diablo single player?? really!??? if you enjoyed single player online is X10 better.. and you can solo online as well.. just put a password on the game and play yourself..WTF

Sounds like those complaining never played diablo before. Weak.. the new news changing nothing

unless you're playing on a 56.6 modem :p

It's the principle.

This wouldn't be necessary if Blizzard/Acti weren't money grubbing with their bullshit real money auction house.

Top Bottom