• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Addnan

The only limiting factor of WW is damage. DHs, WDs and Monks deal so much more damage than me. You really need to stack Attack Speed to make the tornadoes do the heavy lifting. Pain Enhancer helps a lot. There's also Threatening Shout - Demoralize to group monsters together so that your tornadoes won't spin in random directions dealing no damage.

Clearing the actual rift is incredibly fast with ww barb..

I'm having a similar problem trying to hit the high GRs with WW barb. I'm about to switch to HoTA build though since I've got ancient IK pieces instead of my crappy normal Wastes.

Solo hota is not something I would recommend. WW or Rend really.

rukland

I kinda agree, my current build is HotA and it's decent for solo. 60 is not hard, but to push past that with out heavy fishing I am working on my WW set.

So, 3 days ago I started my HC journey and after getting powerleveled to 70 I decided to just try going at it solo, with only the 600k gold from the rifts to spare, no items.

Had a really good time, with quite a good item drop luck at the beginning which propelled me forwards quickly. Just about zero lag, too.

Well, and just as I'm about to finish this GR I get some bug I've never encountered yet where the screen gets fucked up, I can't even really pause and as a result lose my HC char. Chatting afterwards was very sluggish, too. I suppose some server bullshit occurred but yeh, that's why playing HC just kind of sucks. e: I even completely lost control over my hero. Otherwise I probably could've gotten away. But like that, nope.

DRGNMU8.png

Nokterian

Nearly got my demon hunter fully equipped with everything i need for unhallowed set. Just need a hellfire amulet,calamity and cindercoat but i can say i do love the damage and range of it!

Firemind

So, 3 days ago I started my HC journey and after getting powerleveled to 70 I decided to just try going at it solo, with only the 600k gold from the rifts to spare, no items.

Had a really good time, with quite a good item drop luck at the beginning which propelled me forwards quickly. Just about zero lag, too.

Well, and just as I'm about to finish this GR I get some bug I've never encountered yet where the screen gets fucked up, I can't even really pause and as a result lose my HC char. Chatting afterwards was very sluggish, too. I suppose some server bullshit occurred but yeh, that's why playing HC just kind of sucks. e: I even completely lost control over my hero. Otherwise I probably could've gotten away. But like that, nope.
RIP

I realized a few years earlier that Blizzard's D3 servers are fucked and that I shouldn't be cocky solo. Bad luck it happened to you, mate. Though powerleveling only took, like, 20 minutes. :p

joesmokey

Is it worth switching from hota without the ancient weapons?

I have everything, just not the ancient weapons (I have an ancient gavel already).

Farming in hota isn't too bad since everything dies so quickly and I always have Furious Charge up. The playstyle in hota isn't as fun as ww though.

Lain

Can you use the cube to upgrade a rare follower item into a leg one? I spent most of my time on non-season after a quick run to 70 when the season started, so I didn't need to test if it worked but now that I'm playing a bit of season and farming various mats, it's something I'd like to know.

Edit: Ahah looks like the answer is right above (and below) my head. Good to know.

eek5

Can you use the cube to upgrade a rare follower item into a leg one? I spent most of my time on non-season after a quick run to 70 when the season started, so I didn't need to test if it worked but now that I'm playing a bit of season and farming various mats, it's something I'd like to know.

Yes

Addnan

Is it worth switching from hota without the ancient weapons?

I have everything, just not the ancient weapons (I have an ancient gavel already).

Farming in hota isn't too bad since everything dies so quickly and I always have Furious Charge up. The playstyle in hota isn't as fun as ww though.

Depends what you are farming. If you are sticking to torment 8 then non ancient weapons are perfectly fine for farming.

Baliis

So apparently there was a bug with people opening bounty caches in grifts for crap loads of gold to pick up with custerian bracers? Wonder how much gold was actually dropping, its hot fixed already

So apparently there was a bug with people opening bounty caches in grifts for crap loads of gold to pick up with custerian bracers? Wonder how much gold was actually dropping, its hot fixed already

Lmao, always that GR scaling being exploited. Since you need several billion XP at some point and Crusterian bracers only really make sense if the gold is similarly high...they be rich.

Baliis

Lmao, always that GR scaling being exploited. Since you need several billion XP at some point and Crusterian bracers only really make sense if the gold is similarly high...they be rich.

Yea I imagine the multiplier must be pretty high if you go into like a 75, and I wonder if it was multiplying again with gold find or something. I haven't actually been able to find much about it, but I saw the hotfix and the official forums are all laughing about oh, that's the thing they fix

Dayum, I actually just got banned. Since I'm not botting it's gotta be for the Hellfire exploit which I used for normal rifts, not GRs, one day. Well that sucks for me, having invested a lot of time this season, but at least Blizz will now actually ban for exploits, when they were way too lenient on that in the past—hence why I felt like trying that one myself.

I suppose I'll buy the game when it's on sale again for next season. First the HC death, then the account death. Next... x_x

TSM

Hellfire exploit, seeing reports everywhere of people getting banned for it, seems like doing it even once gets you banned.

There's going to be a lot of fallout on this one. Bliz rarely does anything, so people were really confident they'd be alright. If Bliz was consistent with exploits average people would stay the hell away from them.

Wonder which other gaffers are going down.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Gabynator just got banned on-stream, the salt is fucking real, dying over here

Youtube mirror: https://youtu.be/yX2nohb6-Jg?t=246 (4:10)

Wonder who else got banned. Quin's stream is pretty hilarious right now, so much trolling in the chat.

Seems like a mix of permanent bans and 2 week suspensions. Maybe based on leaderboard rank or streaming?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3lyvxe/someone_got_banned/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3lyy02/more_and_more_people_getting_banned/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/3lyxzl/got_suspended_for_14_days_for_exploitation_of/

There's going to be a lot of fallout on this one. Bliz rarely does anything, so people were really confident they'd be alright. If Bliz was consistent with exploits average people would stay the hell away from them.

Wonder which other gaffers are going down.

Can confirm. If anything I expected them to look at exploiters who used it to push GRs. Looks like they finally started a shift to a stricter direction in regards to exploits etc., if nothing else to also get their public image up in that regard. When famous streamers do this stuff and reddit has several threads on this issue up every week, it kinda taints your game's quality and company stance.

Seems like a mix of permanent bans and 2 week suspensions. Maybe based on leaderboard rank or streaming?

I got perma banned and didn't touch GRs when using the exploit. I did however use it on a character I had reached top1000 GRs (WD) beforehand. So maybe that put the nail on my coffin. May have just cross-checked which exploiters/chars are also within the leaderboards.

Baliis

ZenaxPure

Yeah I wonder how they handle that stuff anyway. Like how do they even know who used the exploit? Can they just run some program or what. IDK shit about all that technical stuff so on the outside looking in it's fascinating to see.

Pepto

Banned
Dayum, I actually just got banned. Since I'm not botting it's gotta be for the Hellfire exploit which I used for normal rifts, not GRs, one day. Well that sucks for me, having invested a lot of time this season, but at least Blizz will now actually ban for exploits, when they were way too lenient on that in the past—hence why I felt like trying that one myself.

I suppose I'll buy the game when it's on sale again for next season. First the HC death, then the account death. Next... x_x

Damn. RIP EU clan grift pushing.

isny

napkin dispenser
Yeah I wonder how they handle that stuff anyway. Like how do they even know who used the exploit? Can they just run some program or what. IDK shit about all that technical stuff so on the outside looking in it's fascinating to see.

Blizzard's Warden program is a very powerful tool...

JoeMartin

Assuming they have decent server side records they'll be able to see who had more than 5 passives active at one time pretty easily I would think.

Lain

D3 is an online game with most stuff running serverside, no? I'd imagine most of what we do is logged on their end and they only need to search the logs, which would still require time (I just read their announcement regarding this exploit I didn't know and it was on the 11 and people getting banned today) but supposedly they have all the data they need to research patterns in cases like this as they know how the exploit is achieved.

Radec

Its either gabynator-banned or 2 weeks suspension banned.

Lol @ exploiters.

If they store the number of active passives of a character on their database, then it's easy. Just query all characters that have more than 5 active passives. Get the account id of that character and ban it.

If the exploit leaves a certain code or text on an account then the better.

In this case they can just sweep their database for the specific info. Since the Hellfire exploit remained even through logging out/in, death etc. that meant this data was saved somewhere. So it should've been relatively easy to acquire all the required info to get those exploiters.

Now what's really difficult is catching botters, which is why it'll always remain a problem. Though I hope Blizz will eventually take action against the most obvious "24h a day players". Even there it can be argued that someone could simply let his sibling take over, which supposedly isn't allowed either but Blizz wouldn't really ever ban an account because someone let other present family members play, too. Of course that a complete lie in most cases, but one mustn't risk banning innocent people.

Dahbomb

I don't really like the way Blizzard handles the banninv. IMO they should fix the hotfix then reset the leaderboards.

Banning for 3rd party programs is fine but banning for use of in-game mechanics/bugs shouldn't be bannable. That's the developers faults for havings bugs in the game to begin with. Otherwise they should be banning every Monk using snap shotting techniques.

JoeMartin

EDIT: Aww booo I got trolled too :(

Banning for 3rd party programs is fine but banning for use of in-game mechanics/bugs shouldn't be bannable. That's the developers faults for havings bugs in the game to begin with. Otherwise they should be banning every Monk using snap shotting techniques.

Was there ever official recognition that this was a problem in the first place? It not then yeah they probably shouldn't ban people. Acknowledge the bug exists, put a sunset date on it, roll the leaderboards back, and ban anyone that uses it after the fact.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Since the passives persisted between logouts (part of the profile at some level), I bet there were some traces of the extra passives in the "view hero details" snapshot taken at GR completion. So, they could just query that and filter down to any with 6 or more passive effects enabled.

Radec

Lmao. Fucking banned boys.

Hey at least he got a $1000 donation today.

Edit: Wtf got trolled. Just an overlay. lol

EDIT: Aww booo I got trolled too :(

Was there ever official recognition that this was a problem in the first place? It not then yeah they probably shouldn't ban people. Acknowledge the bug exists, put a sunset date on it, roll the leaderboards back, and ban anyone that uses it after the fact.

They did actually acknowledge it and threatened punishment IIRC.

Top Bottom