• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Ingeniero

I think I found something good:

glove.jpg

Baliis

I would love if the Amazon class will return, either in Diablo III or a future installment.

The DIII incarnation of the Necromancer is a blast to play, and with how fun Cassia (the canonical representation of the Amazon class in Diablo II) is in Heroes of the Storm, I think it would be cool to see a new take for the Bowzon & Hybridazon, as those two in particular were fun builds to play as.

There's a small line from Tyreal as he's talking to another NPC in town about a Horadrim going to investigate something in Skovos (where the amazons are from) and never returning, so the plot thread is there if they wanna follow it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Looks like it - there's a little rune icon over their head that gains marks as different curses are applied.

I think he meant from different players?

if he meant different curses than yes, all 3 can stack (unlike D2 necro)

Sanctuary

I hope Blizzard takes a really hard look at the Necromancer. The class feels like it was shipped with only the end game and having all of the set bonuses in mind. Which I suppose in the short term might not actually take too long, but for Seasonal character it's going to be painful initially. Especially because of how dull the class becomes without the set items.

It's fine while leveling up to Master until Act 5, and then just feels like it hits a wall. The biggest issue prior to sets is that the gameplay revolves around either spamming Mages (which isn't fun in any way at all), or Corpse Lance/Corpse Explosion (Lance feels way more consistent, even if it's somewhat slower on huge swarms. But you can use Nova for that), and against bosses or elites where you cannot generate corpses outside of the golem every 45s or Land of the Dead ever 120s, it's kind of tedious.

All of the classes get game changing effects with set items, but from level 30 up, the Necro seemed to be the most boring to play of the bunch. They can't have a passive army while actively using other skills, Mage spamming sucks, and the overreliance for corpses isn't too hot either. It's generally "fine", but on huge health bosses, or those that have phases that kick you out of Land of the Dead, it's annoying. The class feels like a random mix of Witch Doctor and Sorcererss, not being even half as good as either at their respective playstyles.

Blues1990

There's a small line from Tyreal as he's talking to another NPC in town about a Horadrim going to investigate something in Skovos (where the amazons are from) and never returning, so the plot thread is there if they wanna follow it.

Huh, never even heard that line before. Come to think of it, didn't people say that the Necromancer has some interactions that hint of a Diablo IV?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All of the classes get game changing effects with set items, but from level 30 up, the Necro seemed to be the most boring to play of the bunch. They can't have a passive army while actively using other skills, Mage spamming sucks, and the overreliance for corpses isn't too hot either. It's generally "fine", but on huge health bosses, or those that have phases that kick you out of Land of the Dead, it's annoying. The class feels like a random mix of Witch Doctor and Sorcererss, not being even half as good as either at their respective playstyles.

except you DO have to actively use other skills while you have your passive army, that was intended and how he is different from the WD. Hell even the golem and the skellies have a active component in them. And you wouldnt even use Mages pre-set (and pre-ring even), its a awful skill by itself.

Bosses with no corpses is "fixed" with various corpse creating abilities like the golem rune that gives 8 corpses, or the revive run that makes minions turn back into corpses.

Your whole post reads like someone hasnt actually played a Necro, and instead just read about it and has a vague idea, no offense.

Cracklox

except you DO have to actively use other skills while you have your passive army, that was intended and how he is different from the WD. Hell even the golem and the skellies have a active component in them. And you wouldnt even use Mages pre-set (and pre-ring even), its a awful skill by itself.

Bosses with no corpses is "fixed" with various corpse creating abilities like the golem rune that gives 8 corpses, or the revive run that makes minions turn back into corpses.

Your whole post reads like someone hasnt actually played a Necro, and instead just read about it and has a vague idea, no offense.

Won't comment on how the class is cos I'm one of those dudes thats only read about it and not played it. But you don't see the bolded as a problem? Shit skill, that you basically HAVE to use as a part of a set if you want to get anywhere

But then, that ties in to the bigger problem of sets in D3 taking away any build diversity once you get to 60. Topic for another day I guess

edit - meant level 70. I'm playing too many arpgs

Rhaknar

Won't comment on how the class is cos I'm one of those dudes thats only read about it and not played it. But you don't see the bolded as a problem? Shit skill, that you basically HAVE to use as a part of a set if you want to get anywhere

But then, that ties in to the bigger problem of sets in D3 taking away any build diversity once you get to 60. Topic for another day I guess

edit - meant level 70. I'm playing too many arpgs

sure, and also the way the end game is completely set dependant, but thats another issue altogether like you said. And not specific to the Necro.

edit: ooh cleared 68 :)

Woorloog

Banned
My luck is strange. On one hand, i've gotten three Primal Ancients over three days (Trang'Oul shoulders, Reaper Wraps, and Nutcracker). On the other hand, i've gotten 3 pieces of three or four different sets but not one piece more. Makes GR progression somewhat difficult.

Still, now that i switched to poison-based Corpse Explosion build with those Inarius pieces i have (along with Trang'Oul because i need to fill slots somehow), i seem to be making some progress.

Land of the Dead plus Corpse Explosion is kinda hilarious. Shame there's a cap for how fast CE can be used in LotD, though the cap is high enough pressing a key fast enough is tiring, i think.

Wish i could fit the Furnace or Bane of the Stricken into the build though, bosses take forever as it is, even with a lot of explosions.

Ayumi

Honestly, I'd rather they save all this stuff for Diablo IV. Unless they're going to make another RoS-style expansion or two for D3, which they won't.
As I mentioned before I was a bit saddened they added the Necro to D3 because I felt like they would've saved it for D4. Because what else would they put there? It's hard to imagine what D4 would be like except a D4 with more story, new maps, better graphics, and possibly a couple of "new" (D2) classes. But we'll see.. some people wanted an open world D4 but lol. There's already WoW. :v to

I wouldn't mind a different D4, but I don't see what they'd even put there.

But honestly whatever they make it to be or not I'm gonna throw my money at them like always.

Sanctuary

You misread what I said. You don't actually have a passive army in this game at all. You have seven Skeletons, one Golem and that's it for the so called army. Everything else is spammed, or on a large cooldown with a small duration. You're spamming your army, you don't have one up while using other skills. I don't know why you bothered to tell me about how to generate corpses on bosses either, since I already said that myself.

And yeah, my post reads like I haven't played a Necro says the person running around with a Druid hurricane...

Why did you even bother replying when my entire point was about the class before sets anyway?

Rhaknar

I dont even know what you mean by running around with a druid hurricane, and I said "it reads like", I was very careful to not say "clearly you havent played the necro" but hey, let's just nip this in the bud right here because I really dont feel like getting into a argument. My bad on before, you do you dude.

scoobs

Got all excited about my Necro, got him to 70 and started the grind but I find myself just going back to my WD :( WD is king.

Dunfisch

Sooooo about that Blizzard Gamecard... turns out I was just a blind idiot and didn't click the button which very clearly said "Load Balance", once I'd input the code. Right. Right. Right.

Welp! Time to raise some skeletons.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Sooooo about that Blizzard Gamecard... turns out I was just a blind idiot and didn't click the button which very clearly said "Load Balance", once I'd input the code. Right. Right. Right.

Welp! Time to raise some skeletons.

Completing Season Journeys? Sure thing!
Getting into GR80+? You bet!
Buying things online? HOW DO I PAID MONEY

For real though, glad you made it. You up for some games early afternoon?

Cracklox

As I mentioned before I was a bit saddened they added the Necro to D3 because I felt like they would've saved it for D4. Because what else would they put there? It's hard to imagine what D4 would be like except a D4 with more story, new maps, better graphics, and possibly a couple of "new" (D2) classes. But we'll see.. some people wanted an open world D4 but lol. There's already WoW. :v to

I wouldn't mind a different D4, but I don't see what they'd even put there.

But honestly whatever they make it to be or not I'm gonna throw my money at them like always.

I could see them following a similar design to something like marvel heroes. Diablo style gameplay with a few MMO trimmings like hubs and open areas where there's lots of people roaming around, and then instanced dungeons for parties. Unlike that game, I hope they don't run a good idea into the ground though

Zoggy

I hope Blizzard takes a really hard look at the Necromancer. The class feels like it was shipped with only the end game and having all of the set bonuses in mind. Which I suppose in the short term might not actually take too long, but for Seasonal character it's going to be painful initially. Especially because of how dull the class becomes without the set items.

It's fine while leveling up to Master until Act 5, and then just feels like it hits a wall. The biggest issue prior to sets is that the gameplay revolves around either spamming Mages (which isn't fun in any way at all), or Corpse Lance/Corpse Explosion (Lance feels way more consistent, even if it's somewhat slower on huge swarms. But you can use Nova for that), and against bosses or elites where you cannot generate corpses outside of the golem every 45s or Land of the Dead ever 120s, it's kind of tedious.

they're not gonna have a new class catered to beginners 7 years after the game comes out.

Ayumi

I could see them following a similar design to something like marvel heroes. Diablo style gameplay with a few MMO trimmings like hubs and open areas where there's lots of people roaming around, and then instanced dungeons for parties. Unlike that game, I hope they don't run a good idea into the ground though
I feel horrible for saying this, especially as a WoW veteran, but I honestly think raiding and dungeons would've been awesome. More focuses on bosses, stuff like boss-specific loot and uber/boss challenges would be cool.

Jrmint

What would you guys recommend using as a spender before I complete a set? I'd like to do the skeletal mages but you guys were saying it's not good pre-set or pre-ring.

Any recommendations?

Rhaknar

What would you guys recommend using as a spender before I complete a set? I'd like to do the skeletal mages but you guys were saying it's not good pre-set or pre-ring.

Any recommendations?

I mean, its just very expensive and you only pop one at a time, thats the issue. I used corpse explosion while lvling because its fun as shit.

stn

Someone posted a link to a Google Sheets document that contains a guide to leveling to 70 quickly. I can no longer find it. Can anyone please re-post? I'd definitely like to hit 70 with my new necromancer, along with all other classes so I can get all the achievements.

hollomat

Banned
Probably a really stupid question, but I haven't played in a while.

If i equip the Necro with a 4k dmg axe, am I doing 4k dmg everytime I use my left click action? Or does the dmg not matter since i'm not actually swinging the axe, and its entirely based off my intelligence instead?

Stevey

Probably a really stupid question, but I haven't played in a while.

If i equip the Necro with a 4k dmg axe, am I doing 4k dmg everytime I use my left click action? Or does the dmg not matter since i'm not actually swinging the axe, and its entirely based off my intelligence instead?

It's DPS, so if it's 4K DPS but 1.4 APS, its 5.6K per click, if you're clicking as fast as possible, plus your various damage increases through skills and stats.

hollomat

Banned
It's DPS, so if it's 4K DPS but 1.4 APS, its 5.6K per click, if you're clicking as fast as possible, plus your various damage increases through skills and stats.

Thanks, thats what I figured. Wasn't sure though if it was different for a necro since he's doing range dmg. Only played crusader and monk before.

Wolfie5

Someone posted a link to a Google Sheets document that contains a guide to leveling to 70 quickly. I can no longer find it. Can anyone please re-post? I'd definitely like to hit 70 with my new necromancer, along with all other classes so I can get all the achievements.

You mean this one?

I just go into Adventure Mode on Hard with new characters and ran Halls of Agony (Act 1, the zone where the Butcher is), because enemy density is super high there. I'd play Story up to Skeleton King to get Leoric's Crown, then socket my best ruby into there, but I wouldn't play the entire thing when Adventure Mode exists.

Basically, following this guide can get you to 70 in a day or two: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ipexFr-zZlriuMA-4FC6Lapbkc/edit#gid=699801965

Pro-tip: If you already have a lvl 70 charachter make sure to get Gem of ease(lvl 25 to put into a lvl 70 anchient 2-handed weapon), if you want to level all other non-season charachters fast to lvl 70. Also craft a hellfire ring(45% xp gain) and hellfire amulet, you can put them on your lvl 1 charachter as there are no lvl requirement. Start at torment 6 and you can lvl your charachter from lvl 1 to about lvl 45 in 5 minutes. Go back to town put on a helmet with a socket and put in a royal flawles ruby (41% xp gain). Don´t forget to use the other gems you have and put them into you jewelry. Lower to torment 4 or 3(or lower if you can´t survive) and get masacre bonus(for extra xp) at fields of misery and weeping hollow. I got to lvl 70 in about 40 minutes and I forgot to use my paragon points and kanais cube.

Sanctuary

they're not gonna have a new class catered to beginners 7 years after the game comes out.

That's nice, and not what I asked for in any way. How many of you started the Necro without using all of the previous gear you had from the season as well as your huge surplus of Paragon points? I wanted to see how the class felt essentially starting from scratch, since that's what we'll be doing once the new season starts. Although I don't know how to get around the vendors already being maxed out unless I delete all of my current characters, but I didn't really use them anyway aside from one level.

Anyway, I gave up, because it was so fucking tedious and just started using my previously broken gear to start out in the rifts, and it was pretty smooth sailing until GR30 with only two set items. The Moribund Gauntlets also solve a lot of corpse issues, but you can't use them with any six piece bonus.

Regardless, my opinion hasn't changed at all. The progression feels all over the map, and the skills either feel schizophrenic or not meant to be used in conjunction with one another; if at all at 70 or before set items. The only other time the game felt like this much of a chore to play was in the very beginning at launch.

Zemm

Damn, I wish they'd have started a season with the release of the Necro. Not sure if I should wait for July 20th or not to level one.

Rhaknar

Damn, I wish they'd have started a season with the release of the Necro. Not sure if I should wait for July 20th or not to level one.

level one, get to know it, then take a break until seaso, its what i'm doing tbh.

Ultratech

Caved in and bought the Necro pack.

Gotta say, playing the Necro is pretty fun stuff. Really love how some of the spells/abilities work and all that.

Corpse Explosion is goddamn amazing.

Given the bugs that have cropped up/persisted from PTR, it's better they didn't do it.

Plus, it gives people time to play and experiment with stuff before the Season starts.

level one, get to know it, then take a break until seaso, its what i'm doing tbh.

That's what I plan on doing probably. Play it for a week or two and then chill until the next Season starts up again.

Mine is at 63 right now. I had to start from scratch since I don't have my old PS3 save anymore. I really dig the Necro, but I may end up playing a Crusader for the Season. We'll see.

accx

I've been progressing as this build recently (as necro)
http://www.diablofans.com/builds/91081-bone-storm-meta-gr-100
It's super stable and 'risk free'.

But tonight i found this
http://www.diablofans.com/builds/91398-rathma-faceroll-summoner-95
Which is stupid fun. It's not stronger than BoneStorm, but it's not a snore either.
He recommends running most on autoattack (numlock thing), But i found it to be hilarious to play without. I call it the "i'm all hopped up on adderall"-build. My recommendation is just press everything. All at once, All the time. As much as you can.

Ayumi

That's news to me. Thank you. Any suggestions for what I can and should craft for my Necromancer?
It's rare that crafted gear is any helpful. If you're leveling or gearing up from all yellow trash, probably some can be decent. I'd save the materials though and just leech some public GRifts for gear. There are loot sharing communities you can ask for help in.

AlexBasch

Not sure why but I picked some Blizzard wallet cards and I'm buying this, so I can have Necro on XB1 and PC.

Maybe this time I'll get to play it right.

Top Bottom