• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls | Review Thread

Dawg

Diablo-3-reaper-of-souls.jpg

Metacritic - 87

Quarter to Three 10/10
Gaming Age 10/10
GameOver.gr 9.5/10
AusGamers 9.5/10
Game Informer 9.3/10
IGN 9.1/10
Vandal Online 9.1/10
4Gamers.be 9/10
Canadian Online Gamers 9/10
Multiplayer.it 9/10
Eurogamer 9/10
GRYOnline.pl 9/10
Strategy Informer 9/10
PCGamesN 9/10
Merlin'in Kazanı (Turkey) 9/10
VideoGamer 9/10
USgamer 9/10
Destructoid 9/10
Gameblog.fr 9/10
GamingTrend 9/10
LevelUp 8.7/10
PC Gamer 8.7/10
GameTrailers 8.5/10
XGN 8,5/10
Post Arcade 8,5/10
Gamestar 8,5/10
Meristation 8,5/10
MMORPG.com 8,5/10
4Players.de 8,4/10
NowGamer 8/10
GameReactor Denmark 8/10
Digital Spy 8/10
GameFront 8/10
Metro GameCentral 8/10
Eurogamer Italy 8/10
GameSpot 8/10
Machinima 8/10
GamesRadar 8/10
Cheat Code Central 7,2/10
Yoshichan Shadow Clone/10

Most of the sites finished their review by now, so I figured a review thread would be handy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Might be a great product, but D3 Vanilla showed how non-reliable reviews are when it comes to Blizzard games. At least for me.

andreyblade

Neo Member
I'm having a lot of fun with Reaper especially in Adventure mode. The 40 USD/EUR price tag is a bit steep but the crusader, the pretty good act 5, and the new artisan do make up a good package.

Phazon

Wow. Great scores.

I had fun with it. The new loot system is such an improvement.

Same. Picked D3 up a month after launch and it was very disappointing. Never bothered to look at it again. Now, however, I'm having a blast with it. ^^

Draft

Blizzard has put out some questionable games in the last decade, but their expansion pack track record remains flawless.

Z3M0G

I feel these reviews can be trusted since I'm sure even the mass media realized how bad Vanilla D3 was after time... and how much of a god-send this expansion truly is.

antitrop

This is what the game should have been from the start.
Diablo II wasn't great until LoD, either. I mean, it was better than Diablo III Vanilla, but people used to love to complain about how Diablo II ruined Diablo until the Expansion came out.

Diablo II didn't ship with a broken loot system or a shitty AH, so at least there was that.

So...
With this expansion, would now be a good time for someone who hasn't really touched a Diablo game since the original, like me, to try and jump in?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshichan Shadow Clone/10
:lol My honest "quick" review of the game and how it fares compared to other really solid ARPGs though?

Diablo 2 - 9
LoD - 10
Path of Exile - 8
Diablo 3 - 5
RoS - 7 (may or may not turn into a 8 with more played hours)

It really is fantastic in almost every way, shape and form.

+ Enchanting
+ Transmog
+ Loot 2.0
+ Hammers
+ Adventure Mode
+ Clans

- Only one new class
- Only one new skill (runes are still bread'n'butter)
- Story mode is still terrible

Jito

Banned
Grabbed this at the weekend and have had a great time with the new Act and Adventure mode. Again shop around people, got it for £23 of a key site instead of £40 or whatever of the Blizzard stores.

Gothos

Bought it, played Crusader thorugh all 5 acts on Expert, did some bounties, did some Rifts and sold the whole account with small profit. Unfortunetely it's still the same, boring game with as linear as possible progress, no end-game, no competition, no real chctacter development. I appreciate the efforts of the new team, because definetely the game is better than vanilla D3 but it's too flawed on fundamental level to be ever considered anything more than flashy action game. Maybe D4 will go back to the roots of the series.

Oh, and the lack of proper outro cinematic was just spit in the fans' face... Pathetic.

You know they are bringing ladders soon and how is it different from the previous games in other regards they were just as linear.

[edit] response to gotos.

dave_m123

Bought it, played Crusader thorugh all 5 acts on Expert, did some bounties, did some Rifts and sold the whole account with small profit. Unfortunetely it's still the same, boring game with as linear as possible progress, no end-game, no competition, no real chctacter development. I appreciate the efforts of the new team, because definetely the game is better than vanilla D3 but it's too flawed on fundamental level to be ever considered anything more than flashy action game. Maybe D4 will go back to the roots of the series.

Oh, and the lack of proper outro cinematic was just spit in the fans' face... Pathetic.

Just out of curiosity how is it worse than the original 2 games of the series or its competitors?

Renekton

RoS is a rip-off

• One very short Act
  • Forgettable story
    oh wow I freed Diablo? Thanks for the closure
  • Adventure mode is not much better than vanilla farming

Takuan

RoS is a rip-off

• One very short Act
  • Forgettable story
You are not wrong, but it's so much fun regardless. The only thing that cheeses me off a little is that there isn't any pretty CG aside from the original reveal trailer. That was a huge bummer. I also have my qualms with the Crusader class, but am confident they'll tweak him in due time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
RoS is a rip-off

• One very short Act
  • Forgettable story

I don't think it's a rip off, it's a whole lot of content when you dig beyond the surface.

I wouldn't say act v is shorter than any of the vanilla acts, it's on par in length with act 2 if you ask me. Most of the length is the sheer amount of bonus quests that exist within the act and how big the maps are.

Diablo 3 in general is one big forgettable story, I have voices on mute and auto skip cutscenes on by default, forgot to turn em off for the expansion the first whole run lmao, turned it off later and realized it wasn't really worth it.

Adventure mode is pretty cool though, split farming is quick and easy enough for pubs to not screw it up and nephalem rifts are a lot of fun once you can start farming them on T1.

Top Bottom