• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dice 2013: Thatgamecompany was bankrupt when they shipped Journey

prwxv3

So TGC was THIS close to being Superbotted/Lightboxed/EatSleepPlayed/Sanzarued?

Huh. No wonder they didn't want to be stuck with Sony permanently...

They had a three game contract deal. So they never had intention of working with them permanently.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jCyi2R5FP8lO5.jpg

This is simultaneously sad and uplifting.

Jtrizzy

Wish they'd patch in motion controls and analog controls for Flower, not that that will ever happen. I like it better too, but the controls were sub par.

Withnail

Some of you guys need to learn how a publishing deal works. It's not a blank cheque.

I don't know why Sony did not buy this studio...

Maybe it was overvalued by its owners? Maybe Sony decided there's no point after the key creatives left? Could be any number of reasons.

Hydrargyrus

Maybe it was overvalued by its owners? Maybe Sony decided there's no point after the key creatives left? Could be any number of reasons.

But they sould be create another one like this or do a little team inside Media Molecule. A small team for innovative games, with low budget.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
lol, one page design doc. Either that's not the actual design doc and they're just trying to score some weird indie artsy cred, or there's some pretty ridiculous mismanagement within TGC. I mean there's no way they didn't write down animation movesets or menu flowcharts or anything else.

Wish they'd patch in motion controls and analog controls for Flower, not that that will ever happen. I like it better too, but the controls were sub par.

Really? I thought it was one of the few times Sixaxis worked well. Granted my only other real experience with it was log-walking in Uncharted 1.

Some of you guys need to learn how a publishing deal works. It's not a blank cheque.

Maybe the head people at Sony are just clueless. Speaking of which, thought it was weird they thanked Shuhei Yoshida at DICE since early last year Chen said it was because of Phil Harrison they signed the deal. Poor Phil got snubbed.

Alchemy

lol, one page design doc. Either that's not the actual design doc and they're just trying to score some weird indie artsy cred, or there's some pretty ridiculous mismanagement within TGC. I mean there's no way they didn't write down animation movesets or menu flowcharts or anything else.

You're talking about maybe a 10 man development team. It isn't like they had designers hand things off to engineers or anything, they literally just made it themselves. You really don't need any design docs in that kind of space. Especially if they're constantly iterating.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
You're talking about maybe a 10 man development team. It isn't like they had designers hand things off to engineers or anything, they literally just made it themselves. You really don't need any design docs in that kind of space. Especially if they're constantly iterating.

Because smaller dev teams don't write things down. Okay. Though it would go some way to explaining the dreadfully anemic gameplay I guess.

wizzbang

Banned
I don't want to discount that e-mail they received. I think it's great that the game helped that girl with her father's passing. I just don't get it. I think this is a game that is so shallow and lacking in everything. It lacks gameplay, it lacks story and it lacks meaning so people in our mind build it up and put it there for them.

Your inability to perceive the simple depth to the game (and it really is quite simple) isn't our problem. The ridiculous quantity of praise and awards heaped on them is completely deserved. Sorry you don't see it, perhaps it was over hyped for you, or you had too high expectations (or both) - I went in to the game with high expectations after the incredible flower and couldn't believe they'd made an even better game.

Both Journey and Flower are without any question at all, the finest examples of video games as art that exist.

fvng

Yeah, confusing wording on my part, my bad. That middle part is what I meant by "made it." As in, their game came out and is winning goty awards. I'm also a bit sad that so much of the company went separate ways (I think?) but I'm excited to play what people who worked on it do next.

The implication of your post is that Sony is nefariously screwing those developers and causing them to shut down (this isn't true in the least, especially since those devs will continue to operate on a smaller scale)

They were second party studios hired to make game(s). That's it. Contract completed.

It's funny how the press or gaffers will spin a story with a headline like the

"Sony officially cuts ties with Superbot"

When a more accurate headline would be:

"Superbot moves onto other projects after completing one game deal with Sony"

Which headline gets more clicks? Which headline is eaten up by anyone looking for additional cannon fodder against Sony?

Obviously GAF's headline implies some sort of bad blood between Sony and TGC and then gamers eagerly take the bait since it's sensational.

How is this any better than Kotaku on their worst day?

You are essentially perpetuating the misrepresentation of what happened with your previous post.

My prediction with regard to quantic dream's 3 game deal with Sony. Once their third game is done they will obviously move on to other multi platform projects. The press will spin the contract completion as the result of irreconcilable differences and the result of bad blood between David Cage & Sony. GAF eats it up and says Sony mistreats their second party studios

I for one loved Journey a lot more than Flower. I loved the first few levels of Flower, but at some point the experience broke down for me and I lost interest (didn't finish it). Not so with Journey, that game had very few of any low moments for me.

Shadow780

Put me in the Flower > Journey camp, both are great experience but I enjoyed Flower more thematically.

I'm still waiting to see a Flow > other two person tho.

No kidding. And I'd love to see the multiplatform publisher that would have signed a blind 3 game deal with complete creative control for the developers.

It's amazing that we've gotten to the point that the fact that Sony has been so proactive about backing so many niche and risky projects is being spun as a negative. They take way more chances than any other publisher of a comparable size. Of course they have more failures, and not everything is going to get an automatic sequel. But a lot of the teams people are grumbling about got 3 years of paid work for a lot of people that they never would have gotten from any other publisher. There's only so much Sony can do when the market turns its nose up at games like Starhawk and All-Stars.

Erasus

Well deserved! Love that game. Thought it is different and I would not want every game to be like it. You only need 1 of these games really.

Spinluck

Great game, great studio.

Hopefully they can continue putting out good stuff. Journey was a pretty awesome experience.

Kikujiro

Nice to see Journey doing so well critically, well deserved.

And lol at the smart-asses here, at least come up with a joke that actually makes sense.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Flower was amazing and somehow seemed more of a game to me than Journey, although I loved that too.

Yup, this is how I felt about thatgamecompany's games... downloaded the fl0w demo and didn't particularly care for that one. But Flower was soooo awesome, apart from the sixaxis controls (wish they'd give you the option to control with the analog sticks).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I really really wish another company would take up their vision to create emotionally resonant games. They don't even have to be fun, just different.

Journey's verbs (move/jump/sing/camera) are pretty simple, and they got about as much out of them as they possibly could. Gorgeous art and the multiplayer was gorgeously designed too (the inability to grief or compete and the sensitivity of the assorted verbs made it easy to cooperate and made personality emerge from another player's actions - they never felt like NPCs). Brilliant way to give people positive feelings without resorting to aggression or leveling up to give the basic achievement high.

GhaleonQ

I don't understand why they're speaking at a DICE summit. Their experience was not replicable. It's not advisable. Is it just supposed to be inspiring? It is that.

Creatively or financially?

I hate it when snark derails a topic, but this once:

That got a full-body laugh. Wonderful.

okiemok

This is simultaneously sad and uplifting.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

--Frost

adixon

Journey's verbs (move/jump/sing/camera) are pretty simple, and they got about as much out of them as they possibly could. Gorgeous art and the multiplayer was gorgeously designed too (the inability to grief or compete and the sensitivity of the assorted verbs made it easy to cooperate and made personality emerge from another player's actions - they never felt like NPCs). Brilliant way to give people positive feelings without resorting to aggression or leveling up to give the basic achievement high.

This guy gets it.

Though I'm not sure about camera as a verb :)

Duffyside

Banned
Yeah, they were obviously entitled to an endless supply of blank checks when they're two years past the promised delivery date.

And Sanzaru? What on earth you going on about? They delivered a game, and presumably got paid for their work. Are you implying that Sony has some obligation to continue paying them after their job is done?

I am saying that it would probably be a smart idea to identify developers of talent, even if their games aren't initially a smash. That it'd be smart (and admirable) to take someone like Sanzaru and keep them around so they can continue to make good games for your platform. Same with Lightbox, and especially TGC.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Looks like the article has been updated with the full video of the presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S684RQHzmGA
Just watched this, thanks for posting this link. Boy am I glad they went for that extra year even though in the end it bankrupted the company which is quite tragic. In the end, the product speaks for itself and I would be proud as one can be for being a part of the team that created this amazing game/experience.

Top Bottom