• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone have a quicker comeback then downfall again as David Carradine?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm sure most of us of a certain age loved Kill Bill when it came out. I remember a big deal being made of David Carradine's performance in it. It was his first big movie he was ever in after being in b movies and doing years of tv. After Kill Bill he got a big tv commercial deal as I recall. He didn't do a lot of big movies after that but for a few years there I feel like he was everywhere. Then he choked himself to death while whacking off.... Is there anyone else who came back into the entertainment world after years of obscurity then faded away again like him?

Let's not forget about this great piece of workout equipment he got to endorse.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I like the stuff he has done, but I don't care about his career.
I was reminded of him while watching a rlm video. He was big for like three years in the early 2000's then faded away. I was trying to think of anyone else who had a similar career path. Obscure, got big, faded away. Whacked off to death.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This guy...

1*4WEW-nLdSfFxSo-heiienw.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was reminded of him while watching a rlm video. He was big for like three years in the early 2000's then faded away. I was trying to think of anyone else who had a similar career path. Obscure, got big, faded away. Whacked off to death.
My favorite part of RLM covering his films was them showing how he was clearly drunk on all those B-rated scenes and stumbles into the car to drive, lmao!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This guy...

1*4WEW-nLdSfFxSo-heiienw.gif

Oh man. He starred in first two seasons of NYPD Blue, one of my favorite procedurals. Highly recommend if you enjoy police procedurals. And he killed it in his role.

Then he suffered a case of over inflated ego and left the show to make it big on Hollywood. It didn’t pan out and faded into obscurity until CSI Miami and guess what he killed it.

Ironically he is very good at doing what he’d rather not be doing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Quentin Tarantino loves to put these types of guys in his movies, and then they pop, then they go back to where they were before the movie. They're in that spot they're in for a reason. It happened with Michael Madsen in the exact same movie.

How about Billy Zane? Got pretty famous from Titanic and then slid back into the straight to video bargain bin.
Good shout. Haven't seen him in anything noteworthy since Titanic.

Didn't know David masturbated himself to death. Didn't know one can die like that. I'll be more careful next time I need to bust a nut. Feel like I would need to get permission from my balls first.

KrakenIPA

A small part of me feels that anyone that dies from auto-erotic asphyxiation was in fact killed by the mob and/or the CIA due to the stigma and hushed whispers involved after the death. I have no idea why a conglomerate shadow cult would take someone out this way, but I'm posting this just in case I meet my end in such a manner. That's not my bag, baby.

Ownage

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues was a good show. It and Highlander got me tuned in to Vancouver and Toronto back in the early 90s.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Always thought he was a weird guy. But I remember watching my share of Kung Fu in the 90s in his new series. It was such a chop socky show, but surprisingly decent to watch.

I remember my bro and I watching it and trying to see if Carradine would ever even get hit in fights. He moved in slow motion, but almost never got hit or hurt in his 20 second fights.

I dont know which episode it was, but the funniest one we saw was some young guy saying to him in the final fight "Prepare to die Mr. Caine". We laughed or asses off.

Tom Sizemore had a very great run in the early 90’s to 2001 or so.

Natural Born Killers
Saving Private Ryan
True Romance
Point Break
Passenger 57
Strange Days
Black Hawk Down
mother fucking Heat

Then he got more addicted to bad shit than he already was and flushed his career down the toilet, going from amazing performances in Heat and SPR to starring in Celebrity Rehab and countless straight to DVD doodoo movies.

Oh yeah he also had an aneurysm and died at 61, likely caused by all of his drug use.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Got to be Burt Reynolds. Boogie Nights brought him back in a big way. He could have got a decent comeback out of it but he trashed the movie, trashed the director, turned down a part in Magnolia and went right back to obscurity.

dave_d

Is that Kung Fu show any good? I feel like i should come across it growing up, but i don't think i've ever seen it.
I thought the original one was actually pretty good. I mean just to be clear it's not really an action show and has very little fighting in it. It's more about eastern philosophy and a fish out of water scenario than anything else. If you go in thinking it's a kung fu flick like Enter the Dragon, Revenge of the Ninja, done as a TV show you'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom