• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone have problems with Game Pass on PC?

GeorgPrime

Banned
My new gaming laptop arrived and after setting it up i ordered the GAME PASS for PC. 1 Euro deal for 1 month.

When i try downloading games... out of 10 games i cant download 9. Only one game works.

I will just get an error message "Unexpected error occured - Error code: 0x000000001".

I contacted support, they told me to do something which kicked me out of the chat. I didnt even get any info about the return link and stuff.

Contacted support again, next guy helping me. Tells me to restart computer now and click on the return link in the email. After that i get transferred to a google translate page who wants to translate a page into german. Cant contact again because chat is closed.

So basically its a horrendous experience up from the start with Microsoft Game Pass and their support. Its not even worth paying 1 Euro for it. *lol*

Did anyone have the same problem and was able to fix it?

Chukhopops

Works fine for me honestly, never had any problem except with the EA beta launcher when it was just added this month.

Was the laptop pre-installed with drivers and the GP app? You might want to check everything for updates.

edit: try this (from Reddit)

hi guys, I tried this and finally can install the outer worlds and other games.

1. ⁠First of all, launch Windows PowerShell as an administrator.
2. ⁠Then type this code in PowerShell window: “get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers” and press enter.
3. ⁠This process will take a few minutes, wait for a while. (or seconds)
4. ⁠Now in the same window type this command: “start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN” and press enter key. (if it opens the store, install the gaming services)
5. ⁠After this, restart your computer and install the game again

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Might sound dumb but, in my experience, there was a ton of windows 10 updates to do for the Xbox app to function correctly, even outside of automatic updates, there was a patch just for Xbox app. I assume you did that?

All games download for me, but I recall a friend who managed somehow to have Xbox app running without these updates and it was pure hell for him.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Works fine for me honestly, never had any problem except with the EA beta launcher when it was just added this month.

Was the laptop pre-installed with drivers and the GP app? You might want to check everything for updates.

Jeah i did it with support too. We checked latest updates for windows and stuff with me as well. Thats why i had to restart.

I even tried to deinstall the whole App and downloaded it again from the store. It works just for a few games randomly but not for all

EDIT: i will try the reddit solution later.

Buggy Loop Buggy Loop

I will check for updates again if there is still something left after work.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
You are not alone I'm a IT Admin and part of the tech-net beta testers for windows builds.

Right now with their last build it introduces lots of issues. Also gamepass outside of indie games runs like shit compared to steam, gog even origin/battle net.

It's not a seemless experience.

Which is why larger player pools are on xbox console not pc.

Pc version of gamepass still blows. And game selection is still not 1:1 compared to console counterpart.

To me gamepass on pc sucks. I just use steam, gog.

It's not just Game Pass. I know people who purchased games on the Microsoft Store ages ago that they have never been able to play because they straight up won't download or install properly, even years later. The one time one of them managed to actually download and launch Gears 4 the game told them an update was needed, which apparently involved downloading 100+ GB of game files all over again, only to fail partway through.

Rheon

The only problem I have with Game Pass on PC it doesn't always get the same games as Game Pass on Xbox (looking at you Outriders...)

Other than that, it's been a near seamless experince.

I've had various issues with games downloading and the app being strange, but it hasn't been too bad. Pairing the EA desktop app with the Xbox app was a nightmare, but appears to be working now.

Biggest issue, to parrot an above post, is the difference in games between console and PC. On the other hand, it's made me seriously consider a Series S, so it's probably good business for MS to keep the libraries separate.

Regardless, it's a really cheap way to access a lot of games, so I'll be keeping my sub for the foreseeable future.

What The Fox

Neo Member
I had numerous frustrating issues with it on PC back when I tried it in 2019. Enough problems that I haven't used it since then.
Unfortunately game pass PC and the Xbox app are just another front-end for the abysmal Windows store.

hlm666

My new gaming laptop arrived and after setting it up i ordered the GAME PASS for PC. 1 Euro deal for 1 month.

When i try downloading games... out of 10 games i cant download 9. Only one game works.

I will just get an error message "Unexpected error occured - Error code: 0x000000001".

I contacted support, they told me to do something which kicked me out of the chat. I didnt even get any info about the return link and stuff.

Contacted support again, next guy helping me. Tells me to restart computer now and click on the return link in the email. After that i get transferred to a google translate page who wants to translate a page into german. Cant contact again because chat is closed.

So basically its a horrendous experience up from the start with Microsoft Game Pass and their support. Its not even worth paying 1 Euro for it. *lol*

Did anyone have the same problem and was able to fix it?

Did the laptop come with any 3rd party virus scanners? My sister put a virus scanner on a machine I built for my nephew and it caused no end of troubles for his gamepass client. If you have a 3rd party one get rid of it and just use windows defender. Only other thing I can offer is if you have multiple drives try install it to another drive and see if that helps, if the file permissions have been messed up installing to a new drive can be a quick and easy way to test it.

RGB'D

Never had a issue and runs flawlessly. I am currently playing Bioshock-jump-scare in space and loving every minute of it. The extra FPS on PC make it incredible.

I am playing Prey by Arkane

Burger

Shocking how poor the whole experience is. Considering you know, they built the OS.

Every fucking day it's "Time for an update!" - so you do the update and wow, it's nothing. Exceedingly poor.

Kuranghi

I did have a terrible experience during my trial but as others said its just the Windows Store, not really anything to do with GP. PC GP seems rubbash compared to console version, ~25% of the games I wanted to play weren't on PC GP but I didnt even know there were separate lists for PC and GP until later on.

TL;DR - The games runs like crap compared to steam/other storefronts, they don't allow you to use external apps to fix perf issues, they don't allow mods, I got error codes like that more than a few times and had to restart PC or log in and out multiple times. Sometimes the button would just be greyed out for seemingly no reason, it was a pile of crap for me in those regards, but to be honest no external program support + can't modify the folders/files is the deal breaker for me. Its not often I can just play a game after configuring the in-game settings/v-sync and it runs like I want so it means 8/10 I just wouldn't play the game because I couldn't fix it.

M16

just so people know, because alot of people are doing this, if you fuck with windows update(disable,regediting,etc..), then downloading from ms store/gamepass will not work, because it uses the windows update backend.
also fucking with folder permissions, using those utilities that disable some stuff like telemetry(tin foil hat folks) will also give you problems.
most of these problems are attributed to this.

TL;DR - The games runs like crap compared to steam/other storefronts
bullshit alert.
the games are the same win32 built games with xbox live/auth added in. they are merely packaged differently for installation.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
So i did now some other updates that were still due and restartet the whole system.

Game Pass is still not working.

Did the laptop come with any 3rd party virus scanners? My sister put a virus scanner on a machine I built for my nephew and it caused no end of troubles for his gamepass client. If you have a 3rd party one get rid of it and just use windows defender. Only other thing I can offer is if you have multiple drives try install it to another drive and see if that helps, if the file permissions have been messed up installing to a new drive can be a quick and easy way to test it.

No just the regular Anti-Virus and it doesnt even react to Game Pass at all.

Wont be able to contact support for another week until i have a day off. Maybe next saturday. I will try the reddit solution above now.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
If I install game pass games on more than one nvme/ssd it often can’t find games on one or other drive. Sometimes it resolves with rebooting but others not. e.g. I have Gears Tactics on my f: drive, that’s nearly full so I put Doom Eternal on my g: drive. Then next time I reboot it can’t find the game on my f: drive. The icon is there but there’s an exclamation mark through. I don’t know what is causing that but it’s incredibly annoying

Last edited:
Of the games I've tried since the service started on PC I haven't had a game that won't work, and I haven't had a game that ran unstable.

Some games don't support Achievements properly or at all. Not the end of the world as my achievements aren't unified anyways, spread across Steam, Xbox, Playstation and the in-game systems found in Nintendo's games.

When I downloaded Control DLSS wasn't available, apparently it was an old version or some shit, not sure if that got fixed.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yes, I have issues with download speed from time to time. I also recommend checking PC gaming wiki before trying an UWP game. Some of them require additional fixes and we know that you can't mod UWP games to the extent you could mod Win32 ones. Some examples from the top of my head: Wolfenstein the new order/old blood - Prey - Vampyr.

For now I recommend subbing to gamepass when there's a discount. The PC version is not as good as the console counterpart. It should be cheaper on PC.

reksveks

Of the games I've tried since the service started on PC I haven't had a game that won't work, and I haven't had a game that ran unstable.

Some games don't support Achievements properly or at all. Not the end of the world as my achievements aren't unified anyways, spread across Steam, Xbox, Playstation and the in-game systems found in Nintendo's games.

When I downloaded Control DLSS wasn't available, apparently it was an old version or some shit, not sure if that got fixed.
Sorry, my version of Control had dlss available. I downloaded it a month ago or something.

Last edited:
The EA segment is completely locked away from me because apparently I had an old xbox account already linked to my EA account like 12 years ago. I found the instruction on how to unlink the account ready to link my new one but can't.

'EA account linked to Xbox account once in lifetime'

I've googled around and found a number of threads about on this topic and it's not just xbox being impacted, Amazon, Epic and I think a few other platforms. Once you've linked an account no matter the platform the EA account pretty much gets tarnished. They give you the option to unlink the account but if you want to link another account you can't.

Links to threads about this issue below.

Amazon account issues: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Cl...ked-to-one-Amazon-account-in-its/td-p/9972372

Reddit thread about the topic:

9 page thread on EA support forums about it: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Wrong-Epic-Games-account-linked-to-Origin/td-p/9962691

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, constant issues. Lots of time games simply won’t run. Most recently experiencing it with Empire of Sin.

Skifi28

My experience was also pretty bad. The store is horrible to navigate, I've also had problems with games not installing while others that did had horrible performance. The Gears 1 remaster was basically unplayable with fps dipping below 30 at 1080p. I'm not coming back even for a dollar.

Serianox

Three steps I do to fix pretty much every issue i've had with pc gamepass: update windows, update windows store and update the xbox app. Every time there was an issue it was a combination of one of these three being out of date.

Stuart360

Never had a problem with PC gamepass in almost a year of use. Actually thats a lie, i couldnt download the EA games when EA Plus launched on it. Apart from that though its been perfect.
I do keep Windows up to date though, if thats anythig to do with it.

Excess

A lot of what has been said about the Windows store is amazingly frustrating. I can only imagine this has to do with some sort of disconnect at the corporate level, where one team manages the Windows Store, and another team manages the Xbox App.

I only recently joined because of EA. Having access to some otherwise decent AAA titles and sports games that are worthless a year later did it for me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I had issues on my previous computer. My disk had two partitions and the Gamepass app only let me install the games in C:. Trying to install on D: just resulted on downloads staying at 0% forever.

Made me quit the service. I might try again on my new PC but yeah, not a good first impression.

kiphalfton

Its pretty dang crappy, and is not a seamless experience imo.

My biggest issue is it will NOT sync up with GOG Galaxy for whatever reason. I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the Gamepass app, and no GOG Galaxy.

At $5/month it wasn't too bad of a value proposition... but no way I renewing for $10/month.

FrozenFlame

Yeah, had the same issue last month but I can't quite give you the answer to how I fixed it because it was something convoluted. I think I uninstalled games service (or reset it), uninstalled Xbox game app and then install it again (from the Microsoft store, not the download from the website).

mxbison

Tons of problems.

It's a little better with the Xbox App but I keep having issues with Microsoft Dependency thingy, controller not working, getting kicked out of the game to log in, verifying Microsoft account all the time, etc. etc.

My biggest issue is it will NOT sync up with GOG Galaxy for whatever reason. I'm leaning towards it being an issue with the Gamepass app, and no GOG Galaxy.
It's synced up fine on my machine. It did take a while though, when I first activated my gamepass subscription it took atleast a couple of hours for it to appear in GOG Galaxy. I've never actually tried to install anything though (the sub was free and nothing has taken my fancy).

Warablo

Sometimes it asks you for permission but for some reason the pop up doesn't occur so you're stuck locked out of your games.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Well i canceled the subscription now. Got my Euro back. Tried some more stuff nothing works.

Wont bother with Game Pass on PC anymore. If something is right up broken from the start you should better stay away from it lol

I didnt even start with it and iam already into 48 hours of problem fixing and support calling. Just not worth it.

So back to the stuff i never had problems with: Steam / GOG

The reddit solution above doesnt work for me as well. I get denied or something like this.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

edit: try this (from Reddit)

hi guys, I tried this and finally can install the outer worlds and other games.

1. ⁠First of all, launch Windows PowerShell as an administrator.
2. ⁠Then type this code in PowerShell window: “get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers” and press enter.
3. ⁠This process will take a few minutes, wait for a while. (or seconds)
4. ⁠Now in the same window type this command: “start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN” and press enter key. (if it opens the store, install the gaming services)
5. ⁠After this, restart your computer and install the game again
The EA launcher is SO taxing on my Cpu when it's downnloading a game. MY PC nearly comes to a crawl.

Not a fan.

Also I sometimes have a weird issue with some gamepass where it has a bit of problems launching the game itself. The screen will flicker and it will kick me out. It will work.. EVENTUALLY but it certainly doesnt happen with any Steam games.

It's likely some scaling issue but ya for me these Apps are just trouble.
Still though... It''s good value.

Buggy Loop

Well i canceled the subscription now. Got my Euro back. Tried some more stuff nothing works.

Wont bother with Game Pass on PC anymore. If something is right up broken from the start you should better stay away from it lol

I didnt even start with it and iam already into 48 hours of problem fixing and support calling. Just not worth it.

So back to the stuff i never had problems with: Steam / GOG

The reddit solution above doesnt work for me as well. I get denied or something like this.

Well that’s understandable, I wouldn’t deal 2 days of support for a digital platform. Even if Xbox app works for me, Microsoft has to improve a ton on it. The whole register/buying/installation process is not too good, I had to find some link initially because the Microsoft store did not let me install the app.. I have friends who kept getting errors downloading games..

i mean it’s Microsoft, not like it’s a kickstart company or anything.

MiguelItUp

So my experience with it is fine now, however I was definitely having issues with it in the beginning. Though after a bit of time I realized it wasn't Game Pass, but the Microsoft store.

I tried downloading the Master Chief Collection and at some point it corrupted for whatever reason. At that point it was just totally broken and wasn't working. Made absolutely zero sense. Kept trying to delete it, redownload it, etc. Nothing. I wish I could provide more details but I went down a Google hole of people having the same issues. I eventually found a way to properly delete the files that were lingering on my system, and then redownload it again. Ever since then it's been fine. But I've always made sure anytime something is downloading to just let it go. No pausing, no nothing. If I wanna cancel, I let it finish, and then uninstall.

Really though, pretty embarrassing that Microsoft's store is as crap as it is on THEIR platform. Lol.

Flintty

Might sound dumb but, in my experience, there was a ton of windows 10 updates to do for the Xbox app to function correctly, even outside of automatic updates, there was a patch just for Xbox app. I assume you did that?

All games download for me, but I recall a friend who managed somehow to have Xbox app running without these updates and it was pure hell for him.
Yup, this. Make sure the windows store app is updated too!

Hustler

I can get everything to work but the EA play games. Already contacted EA about it, because my EA account was already linked to my 360 console, I’m unable to link it to a new “console”, meaning PC . Talk about a terrible approach to EA a play on PC, I don’t even own an Xbox console anymore....

Stuart360

I can get everything to work but the EA play games. Already contacted EA about it, because my EA account was already linked to my 360 console, I’m unable to link it to a new “console”, meaning PC . Talk about a terrible approach to EA a play on PC, I don’t even own an Xbox console anymore....
Just to let you know, you can actually download the EA Play games direct off the EA launcher. You dont even need Gamepass open to do it.

Hustler

Just to let you know, you can actually download the EA Play games direct off the EA launcher. You dont even need Gamepass open to do it.
Don't i need to be able to link my xbox account to my EA account though? That's the issue i'm having.

Aroll

I don't know about your particular issue, but Game Pass on PC is known to have some issues here or there. It's not even close to as rock solid as it is on console. But they are trying. I think the goal was to have it working well by the time Age of Empires 4 drops, but who knows. It's probably harder on PC than Console to function well, but here's hoping they sort it out.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I just created a new ea account. Its pretty easy.

Top Bottom