• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I just eat undercooked Salmon?

Of course salmon will be pink in the middle... it's fucking salmon. Hell it's usually pink all over.

9xUPM3Dl.png

I'm wondering if what the OP bought is even salmon in the first place.

Plum

I'd be worried tbh OP. I had tuna that wasn't fully cooked through in a stir fry the other day. Now I'm a ghost. You don't want to become a spooky ghost, OP, I can tell you that.

luchadork

have you heathens never heard of sashimi?

even if youre frying it, you only really want to sear that shit. 2-3 minutes both sides. done.

alaskakingsalmonfilletoscar.jpg

Plum

I only ever torch sear my tuna if i ever dare to cook it. Otherwise its raw all the way. From this info rate the haunting i will receive from yoda force ghost to the ringu ghost.

Poltergeist-level. So a bullshit haunting based on some arbitrary slight against me that you'd have never known about, but at least you won't die from it. This ain't no Ringu situation where you die for being a bit too curious.

Seven mins total cook time or seven mins each side?

7 mins each side.

On all 4 sides.

It's the only way to be sure.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Seven mins total cook time or seven mins each side?
Total. It wasn't frozen either.

I guess there's nothing I can really do anyway, but I don't want that fucking nine foot long Salmon tapeworm inside of me, the thought terrifies me. From the sound of things I guess I should be fine. Let's hope so.

MsKrisp

You can eat salmon raw. What do you think one of the most common forms of sushi is?

Parasites depends on how good the quality of fish you got, where it was from originally, how good your store is, and how it was handled.

Yep. And Salmon, similar to beef, can be cooked to preference (medium, well-done, etc.) I was surprised when I found out.

Plum

4 sides? Did he eat a damn triangular-based pyramid?

I usually get salmon that looks like this:

Which only really has 4 sides to work with. If you've got one that looks like the one from luchadork's post above then add another 14 minutes to do the two ends.

You know, just to be sure.

yepyepyep

I get an upset stomach pretty easily but I can't recall ever getting sick from sashimi or salmon that is pink in the middle.

Total. It wasn't frozen either.

I guess there's nothing I can really do anyway, but I don't want that fucking nine foot long Salmon tapeworm inside of me, the thought terrifies me. From the sound of things I guess I should be fine. Let's hope so.
You're probably fine, I've only deep fried fish (catfish) but when I cook I usually leave my meats out for a bit to bring them to room temp before I cook. Something I picked up from Gordon Ramsay.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sounds overcooked to me.

I sear each side for just 2 mins. The fillets I get are usually more thin, otherwise I'd for them for 3 mins each side.

Salmon is by far the worst tasting fish of all time in the universe. I have no idea why it is so popular. I guess most people are poor.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Salmon is by far the worst tasting fish of all time in the universe. I have no idea why it is so popular. I guess most people are poor.
It's pretty bland, but it's really healthy and cheap, too. I think most people eat it for the health benefits. It's not terrible, and it's good for you... so why not eat it?

Tigress

i've eaten homemade salmon sashimi a few times. i'm still alive

So have I. We got lucky cause we did it the stupid way assuming the biggest thing was the fish had to be fresh (we made sushi out of salmon we caught so not frozen ever). What you want is the fish to have been frozen (killls the parasite). And sashimi does need fresh fish to be good so you want it to be frozen in a certain way (I think flash frozen? I know it has to be frozen on the boat that catches it). That's why you buy sushi grade fish and why it is more expensive. So hopefully you were using sushi grade fish.

So the people saying people eat raw salmon and it turns out fine aren't realizing that sushi grade fish isn't treated the same way as non (first of alll always frozen and also done in a way solely to kill parasites but keep the fish prettty fresh).

Acinixys

SMH at all the people saying its ok if it was frozen

Freezing fish ruins it because the moisture turns to ice, which damages the flesh

Fresh or bust

Top Bottom