• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami delist Simpsons & X-Men Arcade on PSN?

Piccoro

Well, I've put the Simpsons demo in my download list, when I get home I will try to buy it in-game through the demo. Don't have much hope, though.
And I mentioned Ducktales because licensed games usually last for about one year.

so is simpsons.

let these people play their badly licensed belt scrolls and we'll horde all of the Battle Circuit boards to ourselves.

this for the most part

these are bad games but it still sucks they are getting delisted, lost to the digital winds

edit: people worrying about ducktales remastered, it has retail versions for consoles so its not in any danger

ZeroCDR

Ducktales has a disc release at least, doesn't seem too popular either. I'll probably pick one up soon just because.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What an ignorant comment.

Without a digital option, these games would have never been sold on these systems.

They would have been bundled together and sold at retail for $20, just like last gen.

Now you guys can buy better beat'em'ups like Dungeons and Dragons*!

*until that license expires too, all hail the digital future

Fortunately, D&D Collection came out on a retail disc in Japan, and it's better than the version we got digitally in the States. Score one for Luddite media!

Anyway, it's a shame these are being delisted. They're awful games that demonstrate how incapable Konami was with beat-em-ups, but they're a part of people's childhoods, dammit!

halfbeast

Banned
this for the most part

these are bad games but it still sucks they are getting delisted, lost to the digital winds

edit: people worrying about ducktales remastered, it has retail versions for consoles so its not in any danger

unless there's another version, the retail version only has a downloadable code in the box, there's no disc.

I was hesitant on Simpsons XBLA since I have a PS+ copy, but I'd rather have the game not tied to a subscription.. The imminent removal settles it.

I don't think you can buy it if it was given away on PS+ and you are still subscribed.

Edit: nvm. Didn't see the xbla part

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was hesitant on Simpsons XBLA since I have a PS+ copy, but I'd rather have the game not tied to a subscription.. The imminent removal settles it.

This actually raises a good question. If you subscribe to PS+ and you have the games as a part of that, do you still lose them, even if you don't unsubscribe?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Simpsons was on PS Plus... before rushing to buy the code double check your Plus download list (unless you want it regardless of Plus sub). Glad I just did.

edit - woot, got X-Men from Gamestop. Got an error page when I tried adding it but I went to my cart after that and it was there.

Piccoro

Simpsons was on PS Plus... before rushing to buy the code double check your Plus download list (unless you want it regardless of Plus sub). Glad I just did.

edit - woot, got X-Men from Gamestop. Got an error page when I tried adding it but I went to my cart after that and it was there.

Good for you, congrats!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why is it that Marvel licenses seem to expire so quickly?

And why is the PC license apparently different from the console license?

Basically, what is wrong with Marvel?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
it's just getting better. I'd like to see what will become of this oh so awesome digital future a year or two from now. games that have been released now will be gone forever. games that use online DRM (hello Ubisoft) will stop working even though they'd still have an active community.

couple years ago, I was afraid if you bought an old game and every online support was since then removed, you won't get the patches, making some of them unplayable. now you can't even get the game anymore.
Shit's really gonna hit the fan when Live for 360 is taken down.

Small title updates on the 360 get saved to your system cache, not your primary storage. You have no control over how the system handles that patch data. If you go without playing a game for a while, there's a good chance that any patches you've accumulated will be deleted and overwritten without notice. And once you can't sign into Live anymore, you're not getting them back.

I assume this is a holdover from the days when some 360s shipped without hard drives and needed some small storage space to handle this stuff, but it's an unfortunate situation to be in now.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Since I can't buy from Gamestop, any fellow Gaffer would help me get me one X-Men voucher from the Gamestop website? I can Paypal the 10 bucks + fees.

Oh man, after the UMVC3 delistings, I made it a point to buy Simpsons before the same inevitably happened with the Simpsons license. Guess that was a smart move!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Speaking of Marvel/Disney licensing, did UMvC3 utilize online passes? I'm about to buy one new/used and was wondering if the pulled DLCs will impact me.

Roto13

They're both terrible, but at least The Simpsons has options to make it play more like a console game instead of an arcade game played by someone with unlimited money.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Glad I got X-Men at launch and Simpsons when it came out on PS+. Shame it didn't age well from when I played it in the arcades. X-Men's still pretty good, I feel.

Anth0ny

I was wondering why they were on sale. Picked up Simpsons, already had X-Men.

Looks like the Marvel license with Konami is also coming to an end, just like Capcom's. And I guess... the Simpsons license too? lol

GloveSlap

I was wondering why they were on sale. Picked up Simpsons, already had X-Men.

Looks like the Marvel license with Konami is also coming to an end, just like Capcom's. And I guess... the Simpsons license too? lol

I did the same. These two game might not be that great but they are worth $5 each for the nostalgia.

Ninja Turtles Arcade being removed from Xbox Live was a real tragedy though. The game is great and has the perfect amount of continues. It probably my most played arcade purchase.

elektrixx

Banned

Small title updates on the 360 get saved to your system cache, not your primary storage. You have no control over how the system handles that patch data. If you go without playing a game for a while, there's a good chance that any patches you've accumulated will be deleted and overwritten without notice. And once you can't sign into Live anymore, you're not getting them back.

I assume this is a holdover from the days when some 360s shipped without hard drives and needed some small storage space to handle this stuff, but it's an unfortunate situation to be in now.

Can someone confirm this? I think this is no longer true as of maybe a year ago.

Bullshit. All of Capcom's Marvel games would have been sold on a disc as a collection.

Hahaha. No.

The entire reason this happens is because of licensing and royalties. Disney-Marvel and the creators of The Simpsons have become much harder to work with, expecting far more restrictive contracts and far higher royalties than they did at the time the games were made.

If Capcom/Konami were to make an "Arcade Collection" they would specifically exclude these games from it to avoid having to deal with the licensing issues and having to pay a significant portion of the revenue to these companies. What you have stated is actually far less likely to have been the outcome than stand-alone releases of these games.

These games failed to see a retail release on three bloody generations of consoles in physical media form. It was never going to happen. Digital gave people a chance to play something they almost certainly never would have had otherwise. I have no idea why you want to twist this so hard to make it some kind of condemnation of digital game sales.

Hell, even if Capcom/Konami didn't have to put up with the licensing problems, I doubt they would have done a physical re-release of these games because they would have been too nervous about the overhead on printing discs for games selling at a low margin. Especially Konami. Motherfuckers don't even use their best IP these days, you think they're going to go out on a limb for fans?

Anth0ny

I think that is the point where we all accept that we're going to need to mod our 360's to play the games we fucking legally purchased.

I love beat em ups and was gonna buy The Simpsons and Xmen a couple of days ago because I kept on hearing good things about them.

They were terrible! Compared to SEGA and Capcom's examples they were shitty 1 button mashers. One of the few times I'd throw down the nostalgia goggles card. If only Konami didn't make beat em ups Castle Crashers could have copied from something else and we would be in bliss.

Kinda shitty Konami didn't anounce these games were been taken down, but that's Konami PR for ya

Top Bottom