• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami delist Simpsons & X-Men Arcade on PSN?

Terrell

With the difference, that I can still buy used copys of Super Mario World and play it on my gaming system. This is impossible with digital games.
The better example would be a limited print run, which is what these specific games would be if not for a digital storefront.
Sure, you could get the game... if you have $200 to spare for it.
Virtual Console having Ogre Battle and now Earthbound has saved me at least $300. So seriously, if delisted licensed titles is the trade-off I have to make not to be ripped off by eBay resellers for limited-print legacy titles, SO BE IT.

Hahaha. No.

The entire reason this happens is because of licensing and royalties. Disney-Marvel and the creators of The Simpsons have become much harder to work with, expecting far more restrictive contracts and far higher royalties than they did at the time the games were made.

If Capcom/Konami were to make an "Arcade Collection" they would specifically exclude these games from it to avoid having to deal with the licensing issues and having to pay a significant portion of the revenue to these companies. What you have stated is actually far less likely to have been the outcome than stand-alone releases of these games.

These games failed to see a retail release on three bloody generations of consoles in physical media form. It was never going to happen. Digital gave people a chance to play something they almost certainly never would have had otherwise. I have no idea why you want to twist this so hard to make it some kind of condemnation of digital game sales.

Hell, even if Capcom/Konami didn't have to put up with the licensing problems, I doubt they would have done a physical re-release of these games because they would have been too nervous about the overhead on printing discs for games selling at a low margin. Especially Konami. Motherfuckers don't even use their best IP these days, you think they're going to go out on a limb for fans?
Well said.

I love beat em ups and was gonna buy The Simpsons and Xmen a couple of days ago because I kept on hearing good things about them.

They were terrible! Compared to SEGA and Capcom's examples they were shitty 1 button mashers. One of the few times I'd throw down the nostalgia goggles card. If only Konami didn't make beat em ups Castle Crashers could have copied from something else and we would be in bliss.

Kinda shitty Konami didn't anounce these games were been taken down, but that's Konami PR for ya

Yeah, these games are not good. It is too bad that the actual king of the genre (Capcom) didn't re-release most of their stuff this gen.

Yeah, these games are not good. It is too bad that the actual king of the genre (Capcom) didn't re-release most of their stuff this gen.

If you like Capcom beat em up's I recommend checking out OpenBOR, it's the MUGEN of brawlers and Capcom's games get used quite alot.

This OpenBOR game might tickle the fancy of Marvel fans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hlGdjvvBQ

I really need to play more of these myself, especially that Castlevania one.

It seems like nothing is on PSN anymore. I was trying to look up old demos and all I see is the new ones listed. Do they seriously only have a handful of demos available at a given time or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Eusis

If not for the digital marketplaces, these games never would have been rerelased.
It IS a double edged sword. Which is also why all-digital is bullshit: at least we have an out for games like UMvC3 even if we can't have it for every game.

AaronB

Is there no legal way to get the Simpsons and X-men arcade games legally on PC? In fact, if they're delisted, is there no way to legally get them at all?

My only console right now is a Wii U, and I know they're not on there (Chronicles of Mysteria is, but it was on sale on Steam for about $6 by the time it was on the Wii U for $15).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is there no legal way to get the Simpsons and X-men arcade games legally on PC? In fact, if they're delisted, is there no way to legally get them at all?

Yeah, legally, the only to obtain them after they're delisted is to either buy a download code for it if they exist for the game in question, or buy the arcade PCB.

That's actually not true. You're telling me classic games were never re-released on Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, N64, Playstation, Super Nintendo, Gameboy ... because they were.

Arcade games? Not really. The closest you got was the Sega "remixes" and the less is said about those the better.

rpmurphy

With the difference, that I can still buy used copys of Super Mario World and play it on my gaming system. This is impossible with digital games.
The lack of resale and license transfer for digital games really is the blocker. It is a shame that these games will no longer be acquirable, and the existing copies out there are simply locked forever to the accounts they were purchased on.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think disney is bringing all their stuff back in-house (or in-vault?) and then re-negotiating contracts.

we probably won't ever see some titles again because it would cost too much to license them.

Arcade games? Not really. The closest you got was the Sega "remixes" and the less is said about those the better.

I was thinking the three volumes of Midway Arcade Treasure released on Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox. I loved those games! Granted those collections aren't chock full of licensed arcade titles, which I realize is the crux of the discussion here.

Yep. Pretty shit considering Sega Genesis is still available in store. [/sarcasm]

im not sure what you are getting at

the sega genesis and its games are pretty trivial to get on ebay with some cash

you can never get these games again though most likely (legally), and they never had home ports prior to these

Right, just because you can't walk into a Kroger and buy Eternal Champions doesn't mean it takes more than 4 seconds to drop a fiver for a copy on ebay.

Eusis

Yep. Pretty shit considering Sega Genesis is still available in store. [/sarcasm]
Except that's true, just not at Walmart, GameStop, or any other big brick and mortar chain, but it is at the smaller stores, or found on online stores. A pulled digital game is gone, period.

But like I said that's more an argument against 100% digital, not digital being an option period. It's best to have both within reason.
Right, just because you can't walk into a Kroger and buy Eternal Champions doesn't mean it takes more than 4 seconds to drop a fiver for a copy on ebay.
When the fuck was that possible in an American grocery store chain? Best I've seen was Budger PS1 games over a decade ago.

Biker19

Banned
What an ignorant comment.

Without a digital option, these games would have never been sold on these systems.

LOL. They can easily be sold in stores through retail copies (like Capcom did with "Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara" in Japan for PS3 & "DuckTales Remastered"), but they chose not to.

HUELEN10

Just wanted to say as of an hour ago (at most), I was able to secure downloads to both Simpsons and X-Men on PSN via those Gamestop download links. Didn't check for availability on PSN NA, but Simpsons is definitely gone on XBL Marketplace in the states right now. If you we're holding out too long like I did, this seems like the best bet.

MisterHero

MvC2
Simpsons
X-Men

If I buy these from Gamestop will the codes work even if the games have been pulled from PSN itself? (i don't know if they're actually gone yet)

HUELEN10

MvC2
Simpsons
X-Men

If I buy these from Gamestop will the codes work even if the games have been pulled from PSN itself? (i don't know if they're actually gone yet)

I can only confirm The last 2, but yes; I just got them off of GameStop AND was able to claim them on my PS3. X-Men is a game, and Simpsons is a demo/unlock code combo.

Toad.T

Banned
I've gotten both, but they're segregated. Simpsons is on PS3, X-Men on 360. Is their a link for the opposite titles on the other systems, just in case? I know X-Men PS3 has a code, but does Simpsons 360 as well?

HUELEN10

I've gotten both, but they're segregated. Simpsons is on PS3, X-Men on 360. Is their a link for the opposite titles on the other systems, just in case? I know X-Men PS3 has a code, but does Simpsons 360 as well?

I actually searched for a 360 codes first and no dice; PS3 is your only bet for Simpsons and X-Men ATM.

MisterHero

I can only confirm The last 2, but yes; I just got them off of GameStop AND was able to claim them on my PS3. X-Men is a game, and Simpsons is a demo/unlock code combo.
Thanks. :)

I just checked on Sony's store; all 3 are unlisted. So there may be hope for MvC2 as well!

I'd say don't bother, The Simpsons and Xmen really haven't aged that well compared to most other arcade beat em ups out there.

HUELEN10

Out of curiosity, what other sites besides gamestop.com and amazon.com carry game-specific console download codes?

HUELEN10

Oh shit, so I have no chance of getting the X-Men arcade game on either system now?
XD5o9Oz.png

Linking isn't working right, but search "X-Men" on gamestop's website; should be the first game on the list. PS3 only.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Not sure what the "digital future" has to do with it. Physical games go out of print all the time.

Well this is lame. I tried to buy The Simpsons XBLA and it's removed.

What the hell.

yeah, i download it on my 360 but never bought it. Found the trial last week and decided to buy it and found out there's no way to purchase it anymore.
I'm stuck with a trial that can't be upgraded.

:(

ahuffman

Banned
Ugh, every time I see this sort of crap, it makes me sad for the future. Now I need to go home and hug my retro collection :(

KaiserBecks

One can buy out of print games secondhand. If someone wanted to buy something like Outrun Online Arcade, they're shit out of luck.

What you guys seem to forget is that said games/ports wouldn't have existed in the first place if it wasn't for digital distribution. Of course I'd rather have the option to buy 2nd in case of licensing issues, but that isn't always possible.

Top Bottom