• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the podcast leave a positive or negative impact on you?

Did the podcast leave a positive or negative impact on you

• Positive.

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • Negative.

Votes: 92 25.3%
  • No effect. Same shit.

Votes: 208 57.3%

• Total voters

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Confirmed new hardware coming even this holiday?

ABK games coming to gamepass?

Pretty interested in their future

Some of those people down bad

Interview Crying GIF

Confirms consoles will be the primary way to get game pass and all future first party projects will continue to ship on the service day 1.

They practically knocked down all the dominos many folks were going crazy about, online.

I expect many who were hoping for them to hint at the end of console production will completely avoid that talking point and move onto other things.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Definitely negative. Did not frankly address anything for Xbox customers.

Their games will go multiplatform, obviously. It's their entire philosophy, and I get that. GP is sticking around so I am happy about that. The games they make are generally great so I'm happy about that. But there's nothing in this that incentivizes or rewards people buying an Xbox over a PC or even a PS5. No guarantee at all that PS5 wont have every game a year later. No guarantee at all that MS store purchases are portable beyond cloud. Playing on Xbox would be the worst place then if that's all true, since you miss more games than PS5 and PC. They did nothing at all to assure people this isn't true. Spent 50% of it talking about why multiplatform growth is so great for them and great for developers. Well I'm happy for you guys, but it said nothing about why its great for Xbox. Horrible showing.

And talking about Activision with 1 game is a joke. This was very little clarity on anything.

They have until this holiday to fix this issue, because this didn't do it. Fixing it means guaranteeing that Xbox customers get more of the games locked off the system. The only way to do that is a dual boot windows console/PC. But they want you to purchase all their games on the MS store instead so they get their cut, and meanwhile you miss every PS and PC exclusive. It's a shit deal for Xbox owners. Not even GP is exclusive. It's on PC and it's cheaper.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Confirms consoles will be the primary way to get game pass and all future first party projects will continue to ship on the service day 1.

They practically knocked down all the dominos many folks were going crazy about, online.

I expect many who were hoping for them to hint at the end of console production will completely avoid that talking point and move onto other things.
Oh many here wanted them to bow out of the hardware business and I tried telling people they were doubling down on it but again no one listens

Wildebeest

Somewhere in that jargon talk was an explanation of how Microsoft gaming is going to grow and be a sustainable business, but I'm not psychic enough to work out what it is.

Reactions: CLW
They actually did well because they worded in a way not to upset their hardcore fans. Nothing changes for xbox fans apart from the fact that first party games will be timed exclusives.

Bond007

Exclusives are less of a big deal to them these days-- and wanting games for "everyone" - cause what they got aint working on exclusives front.,

If they had Nintendo/Sony libraries they be singing a different tune. Instead they wanna play this game of "growing the industry"

I mean, if MS had the first clue on how to manage their game studios, then MS going multiplat would count as a positive. But they don’t, so it doesn’t.

Skelterz

I think we can all agree the people that sold their consoles and once they came off worse
The people sold there systems because clearly the Xbox brand is currently volatile, at least they know there’s a chance they’ll be able to pick up from where they left off on PlayStation eventually with cross save 😂.

Midn1ght

I voted negative.

"Everything we've done in the last 10 years has been a disaster for the Xbox brand so we've decided to double down and change absolutely nothing. Thank You."

What I find so weird about Phil and the Xbox Team is that they seem to care about the industry and to understand what people want and love (Cross buy, cloud save, good games, preservation, backward compatibility, powerful and affordable hardware, etc...).

But then they take all of these good ideas and mix them into their own distorted vision of the industry's future (Cloud, Subscription, Streaming, Full Digital, etc...).

The Wonder Years Falling GIF by ABC Network

Astray

Gold Member
What I find so weird about Phil and the Xbox Team is that they seem to care about the industry and to understand what people want and love (Cross buy, cloud save, good games, preservation, backward compatibility, powerful and affordable hardware, etc...).

But then they take all of these good ideas and mix them into their own distorted vision of the industry's future (Cloud, Subscription, Streaming, Full Digital, etc...).
That's because they don't actually care they just say they do lol.

Dazraell

I was curious how Microsoft will approach it as from what it looks like the exclusivity thing definitely snowballed to something they didn't expected. While I didn't liked the way they revealed it as I feel they should just announce these games and be very transparent that they're testing the waters and future games will depend from their performance, I do think these four games they picked (the ones that I speculate at least as I don't know if they're confirmed or not) makes perfect sense. Microsoft doesn't really have anything to lose with them going multiplatform, but has a lot to gain. These are not system sellers, but can find new audience among players who previously didn't had a chance to check them out and would probably buy them if they were available on other platforms

//DEVIL//

No he’s right if you think this was a positive podcast your gullible, Once the money starts rolling in from those 4 games you watch them port more and more.
I am sure they will. But it seems it's not like they are opening the gate. in years to come ? yeah I would assume they would release more games. They even said it. MS is Sony and Nintendo 3rd biggest publisher. duh
Are you still bitter your trolling Xbox threat got locked and now you are crying in my thread by trolling for no reason too ?

AT LEAST learn to read. Because I did mention I do not even have Xbox anymore for my own use but a PS5 and PC. I guess you can't help people without brain lol.

Last edited:

Bond007

I voted negative.

"Everything we've done in the last 10 years has been a disaster for the Xbox brand so we've decided to double down and change absolutely nothing. Thank You."

The Wonder Years Falling GIF by ABC Network

All it does is negate the good.
All they seem to do is try to give you some pieces of good while screwing you hard without lube.
Most of the negative things they have introduced have reverberated throughout the industry. Digital, pay for online, etc.

Nydius

overheat?
get over xbox

Didn’t you post earlier (today or a day ago or so) a long post explaining how you legitimately hate Xbox?

I don’t have any issues with you as a person but if you make a post claiming you viscerally hate something, you kinda made all future opinions on that topic irrelevant.

It’s one thing to be critical. Even hyper critical. But hate? Like to your core hate? That’s some irrational stuff man.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

At this point, the only positive thing that could happen to xbox would be to get everyone making stupid decisions fired.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Didn’t you post earlier (today or a day ago or so) a long post explaining how you legitimately hate Xbox?

I don’t have any issues with you as a person but if you make a post claiming you viscerally hate something, you kinda made all future opinions on that topic irrelevant.

It’s one thing to be critical. Even hyper critical. But hate? Like to your core hate? That’s some irrational stuff man.
I did. microsoft earned it. They are bad for the industry

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony the first console maker to make the price go up during a generation and you’re not mad? Double standards ftl
of course I am not mad. Everything got more expensive. It's a totally different topic.
I am happy to pay for good games

Mitsurux

Podcast was rather interesting.
But the issue is that they sort of have 3 different business models/goals:

Xbox Consoles - They want to still sell consoles and mentioned exclusivity at some points
3rd party games - they are now (and have been for a while) a 3rd party developer and publisher
GamePass - They want to grow Gamepass

Problem is these three things overlap and compete with each other to a point.
Their messaging even kinda showed this conflict, as they kept saying things like growing the industry , growing player bases, growing xbox, expanding creators reach etc.

They probably need to do some internal organizational restructuring.
Like:
Xbox First party studios (develop exclusives for Xbox Consoles)
Xbox (or Microsoft) multi platform publishing/development (Think MineCraft COD etc.)
GamePass - no more day and date launches, transition it to be more of a Xbox Legacy service (Boost back catalog of 2 years old and back, get the Activision back catalog on there etc.) -

Clearly define what games are 1st party and what games are developed from the start to be multi platform

Get some fresh leadership, they have 45+ years of Gaming Industry History that they can reference to see what stratgies have worked and what has not in the past.

I will probably watch again since i had to watch with Captions at work.

RickMasters

Positive for me. Gamepass still day one with Activision games coming. Commitment to next gen hardware. That's all I really care about. Games coming to PC didn't bother me nor will games coming to other consoles.

Pretty much much my mindset. Do I care that those four particular games have gone multiplat? Nope.

Before the event I was half biting on these rumours too. I said if they announce big games going multiformat it will be my last Xbox.from the sound of things Xbox/gamepass exclusivity still matters in the console space. So I guess I’ll be getting the refresh and the next Xbox after that and see how things go. My library,my friends list and my preferred controller, are still things that I can count on when I’m on my gaming time. Finally gonna start getting, ABK games on the service. I’m exited for the games they have coming out this year and next year. Especially hellblade 2, Indiana jones and avowed. And I expect fable and clockwork revolution in 2025. I expect forza to improve, so it will eventually be the forza I live again. Halo is a fuckin ace right now, in infinity or MCC guise and I’m flipping between the two all the time. I’d like to see them I add more of the maps from halo 2-5 into the playlist, though. And bring back that war zone mode from halo 5. It’s all the FPS I need as far as MP. But it’s nice that I have access to a lot more. Also looking forward to flight sims update. All in all…. I think I’m jus glad they are keeping things going. I’m not missing out on PS exclusives. The ones I do like I have on PC, and from the sound of things I won’t have to wait so long for them in the future either. So I’m having my cake and eating it I guess! 😅 . Nothing to be mad about

The GAAS stuff I can understand…. But From a company perspective I prolly would have kept hifi rush and pentinent exclusive and instead made state of decay multiformat. Makes sense to make certain GAAS focused games multiformat ( I even think Sony should have put helldivers on gamepass, and bolstered player count even higher…. But I don’t think neither company want to out their shooters on the others console…. Destiny and marathon aside, but one was already on Xbox and the other was always bound for Xbox)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't believe anything they said. They gave themselves enough wiggle room to totally back track on everything.

Indiana Jones and Starfield aren't coming to PS5...yeah I don't believe that.

I can believe this may have slightly calmed some die hards nerves, but I can't for the life of me see how this in anyway is gonna convince anyone to jump into the Xbox ecosystem.

//DEVIL//

Wonder if that will include COD 2024
I highly doubt it.

I think part of MS closing the deal and Sony accepting to sign was for COD not to come to gamepass ( or at least the newest instalment ) .

This is just my guess of course. Just because it will hurt Sony when the game can be played for almost nothing on PC and Xbox while Sony folks has pay 70$ plus PS+ .
I would love to be wrong. because honestly that might push me towards gamepass for at least 4 months a year ( where I am excited about COD then I get bored quickly just like I did with MW3 and no longer play it.

Fredrik

Positive for the Xbox platform.
But they let the snowball keep rolling for a week for no reason. The whole thing was a nothing burger tbh.

ungalo

I don't know why people expected so much from this, one way or the other.

I wasn't waiting for it and i didn't listen to it. I just know what has been said and i'm not surprised, it's typical MS bullshit. The strategy shift is there, it will be slow and progressive, obviously.

Top Bottom