• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the podcast leave a positive or negative impact on you?

Did the podcast leave a positive or negative impact on you

• Positive.

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • Negative.

Votes: 92 25.3%
  • No effect. Same shit.

Votes: 208 57.3%

• Total voters

RickMasters

Wonder if that will include COD 2024
I think what they will do is delay CODs on GP by about a year. But if they are feeling really bold….. well …. Day one COD on GP, would be a draw for COD die hards I think. Not sure it would move the needle for them, but they would surely pocket those COD die hards.

One of my personal fave benefits about these sun services is the yearly games go on them. I remember when I used to buy COD, fifa, NBA 2k and madden every single year. Some of been biting mandem every year since megadrive days.

I’ll be glad when COD is not a game I buy every year but still have access to. I only play it for my friends. I do wish NBA 2K went the sun route. Yearly COD and yearly sports games fit the service. I would rather spend the money on the optional season passes and skins, as and when I feel like it. I’m sure COD die hards spend a lot more on passes and skins than I do and a hell of a lot more than what the game cost at retail. It would be very tempting to a lot of casual game players I know.

But would they be willing to gamble the risk of losing some of that up front retail revenue and potentially gain ire from COD revenue, by removing the cost of the game for Xbox and PC gamepass subscribers in exchange for the same players maybe spending more on the content for the game?

I still believe they should have staggered GP release by Atleast 1 year and sold as many hard copies on their console and PC as they can before putting the games on GPU. But that time has long passed, Still.

Looking forward to playing Diablo 4 on GPU though. I held of on buying that game because of the bad user reviews initially and some concerns about their content delivery. But it seems to be smithing out for that game now so maybe it’s a good time for me to get into that game, when it drops on GPU. I’m so ready for some tony Hawks too!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This brings me back to late 90s/early 2000s.
Listen to some steve jobs stage exposes. He just talks like a normal person. Someone insults him and he answers him.
Even e3 stage was more alive and real.

This is all just extremely thick corporate marketing talk. Feels like a job interview

Midn1ght

All it does is negate the good.
All they seem to do is try to give you some pieces of good while screwing you hard without lube.
Most of the negative things they have introduced have reverberated throughout the industry. Digital, pay for online, etc.
Ultimately I think the entire industry is at a cross-road between the traditional video game industry we grew up with (Big single player exclusive that we pay 70 USD for) and the new generation that's growing up on Roblox, Fortnite and Netflix (Free games, subscription services, Vbucks, etc...).

Xbox has probably given up on the traditional way and is betting everything on the next generation who doesn't care about platforms, doesn't care about physical and who prefers paying a monthly fee or play F2P GAAS titles they can boot everywhere rather than paying for each games.

Is this gonna work long term? Time will tell but yeah, as someone who grew up gaming in the 90' I'm not a fan of this model.

I highly doubt it.

I think part of MS closing the deal and Sony accepting to sign was for COD not to come to gamepass ( or at least the newest instalment ) .

This is just my guess of course. Just because it will hurt Sony when the game can be played for almost nothing on PC and Xbox while Sony folks has pay 70$ plus PS+ .
I would love to be wrong. because honestly that might push me towards gamepass for at least 4 months a year ( where I am excited about COD then I get bored quickly just like I did with MW3 and no longer play it.
They literally just said, several times, that all of their games are coming to Game Pass day one…

What Phil said about no exclusives/hardware agnosticism in 5 to 10 years resonated with me because I like to buy all platforms, so while I was happy that Xbox are doubling down on what they're doing now, I'm still waiting for a future without walled gardens.
wouldn't that be bad for you since you said you like to buy on all platforms? then there is no point getting all platforms if everything is everywhere.

Stuart360

I didnt watch the show but from reading a few threads on here it seems it wasnt the horror show that many feared/hoped for.

In fact the future for Xbox hardware sounds promising with powerful next gen Xbox basically confirmed, and a Steam Deck like handheld havily hinted at.

The games themselves, only 3 smaller games and Sea of Thieves was confirmed, eevn though i'm sure they will take a 'case by case' situation in regards to other games going elsewhere in the future.

Overall it seems to me that for Xbox only gamers there is some positivity to take, and for the the people creaming themselves over the death of Xbox, the show wasnt the best for them.

Definitely negative. Did not frankly address anything for Xbox customers.

Their games will go multiplatform, obviously. It's their entire philosophy, and I get that. GP is sticking around so I am happy about that. The games they make are generally great so I'm happy about that. But there's nothing in this that incentivizes or rewards people buying an Xbox over a PC or even a PS5. No guarantee at all that PS5 wont have every game a year later. No guarantee at all that MS store purchases are portable beyond cloud. Playing on Xbox would be the worst place then if that's all true, since you miss more games than PS5 and PC. They did nothing at all to assure people this isn't true. Spent 50% of it talking about why multiplatform growth is so great for them and great for developers. Well I'm happy for you guys, but it said nothing about why its great for Xbox. Horrible showing.

And talking about Activision with 1 game is a joke. This was very little clarity on anything.

They have until this holiday to fix this issue, because this didn't do it. Fixing it means guaranteeing that Xbox customers get more of the games locked off the system. The only way to do that is a dual boot windows console/PC. But they want you to purchase all their games on the MS store instead so they get their cut, and meanwhile you miss every PS and PC exclusive. It's a shit deal for Xbox owners. Not even GP is exclusive. It's on PC and it's cheaper.
the thing is MS doesnt look at xbox as a console anymore. they made it clear that its about an ecosystem for them.

Just watched it, as usual they say a lot without saying much at all.. very dour, very scripted, very repetitive particularly about cross play/back compat and once again talking crap about console power like they did with 1X and Series X.

Frankly I’m tired of the leadership of Xbox, watching it made miss the likes of Peter Moore.

It’s all self inflicted, every game they announce now will be bombarded with “is it coming to PS5 “

How can fellow Xbox fans sincerely big these people up? How??

You have a guy with over a decade of leading a gaming division still talking about “learning”.

People will disagree and I’ve said it many times before, a better leadership team would have done much better with the console. Yet we still have these guys and that Sarah Bond is another Phil Spencer in the making.

The other two, Sony and Nintendo far more often let their products do the talking. Xbox doesn’t. That’s a big problem that’s never been rectified.

Last edited:

C2brixx

I don't believe anything they said. They gave themselves enough wiggle room to totally back track on everything.

Indiana Jones and Starfield aren't coming to PS5...yeah I don't believe that.

I can believe this may have slightly calmed some die hards nerves, but I can't for the life of me see how this in anyway is gonna convince anyone to jump into the Xbox ecosystem.
If Indiana Jones and Starfield eventually do come to PS5 as full priced games a year or so after Xbox why does that matter? The key thing said in that interview for Xbox gamers is that Gamepass will remain exclusive to Xbox/PC and day and date release will remain.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
the thing is MS doesnt look at xbox as a console anymore. they made it clear that its about an ecosystem for them.
Thats the thing. I am not udnerstanding how anyone who watched that will be convinced to join the Xbox ecosystem. Diablo IV on Gamepass is a nice little bone, but that game has already sold so many copies, I doubt many who haven't played it by now, will be convinced to join Gamepass because of it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm ambivalent. Microsoft has already been multiplatform since the start of the generation. Sony's recent comments have them headed for day 1 on PC. Both are starting to minimize the role of consoles in favor of broad growth. Just a sign of the times.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm 100% okay with that. Let me take everything I've bought to PC then. I think their vision of the industry makes sense. It also means Xbox is the worst hardware choice though.

They were directly asked about this in the podcast and failed with their answer.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If Indiana Jones and Starfield eventually do come to PS5 as full priced games a year or so after Xbox why does that matter? The key thing said in that interview for Xbox gamers is that Gamepass will remain exclusive to Xbox/PC and day and date release will remain.
And I am saying I don't believe that. Its now obvious that the bean counters are going to want to see a return on investment of these studios. Nadella likely told Phil, fine. You can say these things to calm people down, but we aren't operating a charity.

And again, that's the problem? What was said here, that convinces anyone who isn't already in the Xbox ecosystem to join?

kebaldo

Positive, probably in 5 years we all will just need 1 console (+ the classic Nintendo console) to enjoy all Sony and Microsoft games. A future W for our savings.

Denton

Pretty good, glad to hear gamepass day 1 continues, Diablo 4 is coming, PC is still fully supported.

Few games coming to PSX and NS, who cares.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was tone deaf, They make allusions to industry stagnation and wanting to grow the industry etc but I feel what’s actually happening here is there not as successful as they wish they were right now and they’ve spent a lot of money.

Let’s be honest they talk about the old model of buying games like it’s worn out but look at Nintendo and Sony they’re not suffering are they.

Maybe if they invested the type of money they used to buy game development studios on there own first party titles they wouldn’t be in this weird space where there calling exclusives bad for the industry.

And I’m 100% convinced once the money starts rolling in for those 4 games they will release bigger IP to other platforms Like Halo, Gears Etc.

Sony aren't suffering? They've just had their most successful year in terms of hardware sales and only made 5 percent margin.

Looks at all the comments in the last 24 hours from Sony. They are panicking.

You can say that phils comments aren't the truth but all you have to do is look at the industry to see he is talking facts. It's like some of you want to be blindfolded and act like the industry isn't struggling.

Best year in decades for gaming and we've seen more layoffs and the least growth in consoles for years.

Only Nintendo is doing well and they sacked off traditional consoles and made a hybrid.

C2brixx

And I am saying I don't believe that. Its now obvious that the bean counters are going to want to see a return on investment of these studios. Nadella likely told Phil, fine. You can say these things to calm people down, but we aren't operating a charity.

And again, that's the problem? What was said here, that convinces anyone who isn't already in the Xbox ecosystem to join?
What if I told you Microsoft had the Xbox user data about who, how many, and what games are purchased per year? What if I told you a high percentage just purchased Madden/COD every year? With Gamepass Microsoft gets some revenue from more users that would not normal purchase titles outside of the mass market casuals while also offering Gamepass titles for regular sale for those who don't want to subscribe to Gamepass. Win win.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Voted same, which is to say I own a Series X and I don't plan on melting it down into an ice pick and streaming a self-inflicted lobotomy. I'll keep my Game Pass subscription as well.

I'm now curious to see their next-gen hardware; they've basically confirmed multiple SKUs again, but the last time they really talked up "biggest leap ever" we got the Xbone X - which was actually a very decent piece of kit. And Spencer's hinting at a portable formfactor could be very cool, given how nice the Steam Deck has turned out to be.

mortal

Gold Member
Idc Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What if I told you Microsoft had the Xbox user data about who, how many, and what games are purchased per year? What if I told you a high percentage just purchased Madden/COD every year? With Gamepass Microsoft gets some revenue from more users that would not normal purchase titles outside of the mass market casuals while also offering Gamepass titles for regular sale for those who don't want to subscribe to Gamepass. Win win.
You people are not making any sense at all.
You didn't remotely answer my question/concern. You just gave me a Microsoft this/ Microsoft that. No shit they have that data. That data beingt bad and leaked is what caused all this.

My question was:
Who is going to watch this podcast and come away with this notion that Xbox is going to grow? Who watches this and says "Wow, I need to be buying into Xbox?" This is a serious question.
Starfield didn't move the needle (they will not get a bigger exclusive than Starfield any time soon) $349/$149 consoles didn't move the needle. What makes you confident this will?

Elios83

No effect on me because it was 100% what I expected and said they would do in the previous two weeks of craziness.
Obviously they are not going third party, they are not going the Sega way, but there's a significant change in their development strategy towards total multiplatform and this event was manufactured at the PR-level to gradually introduce this change without burning bridges with the fanbase. Ambiguity will leave people constantly speculating about everything because there is not a clear line and the pandora's box is open.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Confirmed new hardware coming even this holiday?

ABK games coming to gamepass?

Pretty interested in their future

Some of those people down bad

Interview Crying GIF
I find you one of the more realistic people. But I am puzzled how you can come away feeling that helped Xbox in any way. I can believe it might have calmed some fanboy nerves. But the simple fact of the matter is that without growth, they cannot and will not be able to continue Gamepass as a sustainable business venture.

My question to you:
1. WHo watching that video is going to decide to invest Xbox's ecosystem that hasn't already?

King Dazzar

Both tbh. Positive that Xbox are moving to release games on PlayStation. Negative in so far as I find Phil, Bond and Booty artificial. And vague over what their future hardware is going to look like. Xbox isnt going anywhere, but its future is still uncertain to me as to what that looks like. Maybe MS themselves dont know...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I find you one of the more realistic people. But I am puzzled how you can come away feeling that helped Xbox in any way. I can believe it might have calmed some fanboy nerves. But the simple fact of the matter is that without growth, they cannot and will not be able to continue Gamepass as a sustainable business venture.

My question to you:
1. WHo watching that video is going to decide to invest Xbox's ecosystem that hasn't already?
I think its a push to try and get people for next generation with confirming ABK coming to gamepass and a very powerful next gen Xbox coming (really wish they would have hinted when, seems like a missed opportunity if the push is in fact for soon rather than later)

Personally I think they know they are not gaining traction now

Banjo64

cumsessed
Key takeaway. 4 games are coming. More are also coming. Everything else was bluster.

Not seen Phil nervous like that. Man clearly doesn’t want to lose his fans.

Neo_game

I did not watch but it seems nothing new. They plan to make future console and would like to release games on other platform. Both of these were predicted so it was just PR stuff nothing interesting one way or the other 🤷‍♂️

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It was pretty much exactly what I expected.

✅ Some games are going multiplatform because they're not making enough money from their current strategy.
✅ Won't say anything regarding future games ("case-by-case"), but they're probably coming too.
✅ Not leaving the hardware business ("Xbox will be the best place to play those games").

I never expected them to go nuclear and do a Sega, it was always gonna be a gentle transition.

RaySoft

"We want to grow the industry" = Our investors demands more money annually.
"by reaching more players and where they play" = Multiplat. is where our investors see growth and so do we.

It almost seems like MS is trying to chase lightning in a bottle. If you chase it, you'll never get it. It has to come to you.
You need to build on your strengths, if you've found it yet that is. If not, you'll be chasing rainbows forever.

Robb

Gold Member
Positive for me, all I really wanted to know was if the day 1 GamePass things would still be a thing. So I’m pretty content.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Phil Spencer is the master of talking out both sides of his mouth. On the podcast says that Indy and Starfield are not coming to the other consoles. In Tom Warren's article he says they might come out! Shifty idiot he is. He is a liar and doesn't really ever tell the truth. Xbox is losing a war and they have been trying to shift the way the game is played. Trouble is, no one else wants to play that game (game pass, cloud gaming etc...)!

I don’t have anything against Microsoft, but the way they spoke during the podcast sounded more like damage control than having a clear mind about the future of XBOX. Even if they say for now Indiana Jones and Starfield are exclusives, they didn’t completely denied that they will ever release on other platforms and when you look at the reports, no one ever claimed they would be coming immeduately but some time later.

If they have the games on gamepass it would be really stupid not to release them also on other platforms to optimize profits. They may be starting now with 4 games, but I am convinced it will be more and more in the future and Phil sometimes even say that this is the future.

Reactions: CLW

MiguelItUp

Neutral here. I'm not really a fanboy of anything, and I kind of assumed it was going to go the way it did. Though I imagined them at least announcing the names of the 4 titles. But I guess I get it with all the "marketing" stuff in play, and June will be here before we know it. I also wasn't expecting the Diablo IV on GP announcement during. I figured it'd happen, just not there.

Seeing Sony bring titles to PC probably got them thinking about bringing Xbox titles to other platforms even more so. It doesn't hurt anyone and it potentially gets them a few more sales.

Gambit2483

Positive. At the very least they understand that we understand the situation they are in. They said all of the right words to ensure Xbox still has a future, but talk is cheap. They need to show what really matters, the games.

There is nothing that they could have said that would have changed the mind of some of the individuals here. They could have said Xbox has reached a billion consoles sold and 20 billion Game Pass Subs and still some players here would have said something negative.

For gamers that don't dive into the insanity and fanboyism pool, it was good news. Players will still get their game on day one on gamepass. Xbox games will still have exclusives. And it looks like Activision games are starting to show up on game pass.

Some of of the reactions here it seems more like anger that their dream of having Xbox quit the console market and go third party did not come true.

Top Bottom