• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did video games help you learn to read?

pottuvoi

Banned
Partially, I did enjoy books as well.
What it did help tremendously was english, was able to read books on english due to old adventure games.

Learnt a lot of english vocab from pokemon games when I was younger (ex. "Luster", "Purge").

Gaming is also a huge motivation for learning Japanese. Most notably I really wanted to play 428~封鎖された渋谷で~(428: Shibuya Scramble) and brute- forced my way through that. Now I can go through almost all Japanese media and understand most of it.

fernoca

Late 80s/early 90s, been from Puerto Rico we get the same games from the US. So I had to not only read but learn english. I usually played with a dictionary and/or my parents close to me.

Blues1990

Any of the (good) Nintendo 64 and PS1 games had encouraged me to read and improved my literacy skills, in addition to my mother forcing me to read out loud anything that was on hand, including the back of cereal boxes.

Help me learn? Maybe not exactly that, but I suppose they helped with my reading comprehension skills. Some of my earliest memories are of deciphering what the hell I was supposed to be doing next in Pokémon Red lol

Strings

Yep, helped me learn English in the early 2000s, and Japanese more recently. They're great for expanding your vocab.

O.DOGG

Not read exactly, I was 14 at the time I started playing games with more text. They did however greatly help with my learning English by expanding my vocabulary, and they have helped with my Japanese in more recent years.

HardRojo

I'd say they are about 70% of the reason I can speak English as well as I do now. Hadn't it been for videogames, I don't think I'd be as fluent.

GamerJM

Banned
Yes I think so. It's hard to remember. I definitely played Pokemon when I was like 5 before I started learning much reading in school so that helped me a lot I think.

kyser73

I'm an elementary school teacher. At the start of the school year a 7-year-old kiddo was not where he should be in terms of literacy. We engaged him in a reading program for support, but it wasn't enough. He wasn't motivated to read; didn't see the need for it. Then along came Pokemon Sun/Moon.

I saw him playing it after-school at latchkey (i.e extended school hours for students with know parent/guardian at home). He was struggling to progress beyond the first our or so of the game - didn't know what to do because he couldn't read well. So I sat down with him for a bit and we played and read together. The next few days his attitude towards learning to read was different. He was motivated because he wanted to play Pokemon. Seven months later, he's reading at grade level and he's at the Elite Four. His party isn't the greatest but point is, he made it there by himself - he owned his learning. It was awesome.

tl;dr was this you? Did video games have some affect on your ability to read as a child?

Can I grade this post for spelling mistakes? /s I'm assuming autocorrect was the cause...(don't mean to nitpick but I expect any teacher at any level to have good spelling & check their work ;))

Great tale though - and while they didn't in my case (I learned to read in the 70s, so used phonics & books) my daughter's reading was assisted by her need to search for Shopkins related YT content.

Then she discovered Siri and I've seen the future as she isn't remotely awkward about talking to the iPad.

Game Genie did. My folks got sick of reading the codes out to me every time I hit reset (often), so they told me I had to figure it out myself. Learned to recognize letters to punch in the codes, and the finer differences between 'invincibility' and 'infinite' there. Shortly thereafter I was reading entire novels for fun.

Recall

It certainly didn't hinder my ability to read.

Reading just books is one way, but growing up with multiple ways to improve your reading ability will always be a plus.

Sadist

Absolutely. At a certain point I started reading English books as well, but videogames really helped me along. I like playing RPG's, so that worked wonders for my vocabulary.

Didn't need to study for those English tests either, so I could just blow right through them

Xhorder

Yes I learned English by playing games and reading several videogame magazines back in the day. English is not my first language, but I learned it by reading a lot of legendary British magazines like C&VG, Mean Machines, Sega Power, Edge... and for a long time I read EGM in the 90's. I wish I had done the same with Japanese... ;-)

evolve9

Yep, I also learned english through games, as well as roman numerals by playing Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy games. Games, combined with Cartoon Network were a godsend for my early linguistic education.

I started to understand basic english thanks to videogames
same here, learned the basics while playing Star Fox 64 and Resident Evil. The latter in particular was crucial, as I was deducting the meaning of words by circumstance and what was going on in the story. It basically gave me a robust are vocabulary to later expand upon.
Sure I got some things wrong, but it helped me immensely later in school.

I'll do you one better: Playing videogames from an extremely early age (I think I was 2 years old when I started) taught me english, which has been an invaluable skill in my daily life and especially my career. Videogames in Spanish just didn't exist in any significant number back then and I'm so grateful for that.

I was also an avid comic and manga reader since I was extremely young. I read these in my native languages and I got really good at reading and writing pretty fast. You might find comics or manga that catch his eye.

Helped me learn how to both read and type....had to get those cheats in starcraft active as fast as possible in those vs 7 cpu matchs lol i still remember most of them to this day lol

Zakalwe

Banned
No. I read tonnes of books from an early age to around 6-7. At that time I was playing primarily on my Uncle's ZX Spectrum one games that had very little text like Harrier Attack.

It wasn't until I was 9-10 that I got my first console (Mega Drive), and by then I was pretty good at reading.

Had I been born later then I could see how they might have.

Upinsmoke

Possibly, I honestly can't remember.

I got into video games around 94 so I'd of been about 8 years old. You have to read though even to navigate the menu's on some games and understand the instruction manual though I know from watching my kids who are four and six that familiarity about such things are maybe masking there actual reading ability.

I didn't play games rpg's till a few years after which are heavy on dialogue, I probably got around knowing what a few buttons on the SNES did without having to read to much.

petran79

Banned
Computer games were most text heavy back then. Now they are influenced by consoles,adding more pics,even in adventure games.

Text in lower res took a much larger screen percentage than today.

KonradLaw

No, but they did made me learn english. I've spent my youth playing games on amiga and PC with dictionary, before polish localisations became popular.

GLAMr

No, I could read before I started school. I honestly didn't understand what the teacher was doing teaching us letters and making us read along while she pointed at words in a big book during my first year of school.

My Japanese is rusty AF though. My grammar is fine but I forget words, and my Kanji is almost non existent. I can maintain a basic conversation or follow simple conversations in tv/movies, but anything technical or complex is beyond me. Peeps in this thread have inspired me to pick up some Japanese games and manga to brush up. Thanks GAFriends!

PsionBolt

I'm an English teacher, and I almost certainly would not be had I never discovered RPGs. In my experience, it's a very common story -- of all popular hobbies, video games are one of the best for developing academic skills, so they're hugely useful for helping people become interested in learning.
I could read before I found games, but reading was a life skill and nothing more. Reading became a passion once it became fun, and video games were a huge part of that (and a building block: I started reading novels for fun too, eventually).

I'd also like to give a special shout out to pen and paper games. Not too long after I got into video game RPGs, I got into tabletop RPGs, and the language skills and imagination required for those builds a tremendous amount of confidence. For students who don't like writing fiction or reading aloud, TRPGs are an oft-overlooked tool.

Really, people underestimate the value of very simple practice. It doesn't matter that Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is pathetically easy and has a joke of a plot; the child who plays MQ every evening will be a better reader and have better mental math skills than the child who passes their evenings with the Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show.
Even as adults, the number of folks who whittle away their reading ability with TV makes me sad. I watch everything, no matter the language, with subtitles on, and I constantly hear family and friends complain that they can't read them quickly enough without taking their attention away from the image. If that's you, then you need more reading practice!

As the medium of video games has grown older, some aspects have improved, but others have definitely fallen by the wayside. I think it's harder for the kids of today to find games that really speak to them; there's too much bombardment from hyper-popular titles. But even so, I believe games can be a force for good. Games are being made every day that can enrich the lives of their players. And of course, old games will never die, never lose their value. Parents: try making positive games part of your kids' lives where you can. Kids have (and need to have!) a sense of wonder that is beautifully compatible with fantastic adventures.

-duskdoll-

I think so. They also taught me English and how to understand different accents, which made English class pretty easy for me compared to the other kids.

xrnzaaas

I'd start learning English anyway, but playing video games helped me to get a head start back in primary school. :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No, because I'm old enough that the only language it would have taught me is Engrish.

Daggoth

I don't know about reading from scratch exactly, but I definitely remember the Scott Adams Adventure Games (not THAT Scott Adams) on Vic-20 teaching me a few things about verbs and sentence structure.

It's probably the reason I nearly failed english in high school

Top Bottom