• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you like Undertale?

Did you like it?

• Total voters

Dazraell

I liked it. Good writing, worldbuilding, humor and music all completed each other and created a very unique experience

After hearing all the hype for it, I thought it was absolute dog shit. Its just so rudimentary and repetative. I know it was made by one guy only but I didnt find anything interesting in it. I cant speak too much but supposedly there is many branching story options and decisions so that is commendable but again, its a bunch of one liners, nothing about it charmed me and it doesnt help it looks like a 5yr old made it.

No, but I fully admit that the reason why I don't, is due the fan base being just as obnoxious and loud as the JoJo fan base, so it ended up turning me off from ever trying it further. Call it vapid or stupid, you are not wrong.
I simply can't help it.

Not to mention everything people have talked about it, by its own merits, is stuff that turned me off even further.

I can enjoy games made by creators that are sniffing their own farts, but something about the way Undertale did it, really annoyed me.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, it's great. It just has an insufferable fanbase.

Quasicat

A bunch of my 8th grade students were really into this game a couple of years ago. As I was home with Covid, i decided to give it a shot as it was on GamePass and it was OK. Kind of an Earthbound Beginnings vibe to it, but not as good.

OP, thanks for having the “it was OK” option. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either.

Holammer

I realized that the pacifist run was way too hard so I just did the normal run. It's ok.
200w.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Its funny how many people let the opinions of others sway them so. I consider myself to be fairly well versed in internet culture and don't recall any real crazies at the time. To me it feels a lot like people setting themselves up for disappointment by listening to hype for a seriously niche title. Also maybe some elements of "stop liking what I don't like".

Wasn't the creator also influenced by Moon?

Personally I have the game(Vita&Xbox) but haven't jumped in yet though during slow release times considered giving it a go. I will eventually though but other more niche indie rpgs come first for me.

MagnesD3

At first I found it charming and creative but felt it immature alot of the time not really seeing what made it so special but by the time I went through the genocide run I had turned around on it and think it is a very special game. I grew to care about even some of the annoying characters and man did it deliver on the challenge and ost. It does deserve the praise but man is its major fanbase lame (it has alot in it that would appeal to a child/teen demo that were my least favorite parts, luckily the good parts crush those parts).

Last edited:

poodaddy

It was fine. My daughter loves it, but I didn't find it as amazing as she did. It's cute in many ways, and it's funny at times and it has charm. I did not like the "combat", though I praise it for having pacifism as an option and I hope other turn based RPG's do that as well. I'd give it a 7/10 if I was rating.

Last edited:

digdug2

Nop. Most indie games that get super popular i end up playing them and not like them at all. Undertale, The Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Shovel Knight, FEZ, Hollow Knight, etc. Did not really liked any of these.

Subnautica must be one of the few that was praised alot and it didnt look nothing special to me at 1st but when i played it, i freaking loved it.
Agreed for the most part, though I thoroughly enjoyed Shovel Knight (the base game, the DLCs not as much). But then again I loved Duck Tales on NES as a kid and it seemed to be a huge inspiration.

I played Subnautica for a few hours and it didn't really do it for me. I felt like I wasn't really progressing very quickly.

Hugare

I loved it

* Really great "combat" mechanic. So varied, you never know how to "fight" an enemy.
* God tier soundtrack.
* Really heartwarming story with multiple endings
* Great characters full of personality
* Lean story with zero bloat

And to think that basically one guy made the whole game is nuts.

Aenima

Agreed for the most part, though I thoroughly enjoyed Shovel Knight (the base game, the DLCs not as much). But then again I loved Duck Tales on NES as a kid and it seemed to be a huge inspiration.

I played Subnautica for a few hours and it didn't really do it for me. I felt like I wasn't really progressing very quickly.
Subnautica is a survival game, and like most of survival games i played, the beginning is the most painfull part of the game. Once you set up a source of food and water and can start exploring without worring about that, is when the fun begins. The game takes you to some crazy places.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Tried it for 15 minutes
Rather play mother 3

Or anything with color actually
Also fuck hollow knight

donkey_oaty

Fantastic game. I remember really enjoying the writing and interactions with characters. I remember finding the date scene with the skeleton guy particularly funny.

Bought it after the hyped died down.

It was a good game, the humour, the story, the battles.

But it wasn’t as brilliant as the world seemed to think in my mind

Alebrije

Think is a good Game with Lot of influence on newer generations , forms part of a group of games like Terraria, Stardew Valley , Bind od Issac that impacts on a big number of players.

In the case of Undertale it's music has translated yo other entertaining áreas

Pimpollo818

Easily my favorite experience out of kickstarter. I remember booting it up one day and loving it. Then I saw how the world started to fall in love with it. I haven't touched Deltarune at all yet though. Waiting for a more complete/final release.

Top Bottom