• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Alan Wake 2 - PlayStation 5 DF Tech Review - Remedy Raises The Bar Yet Again

hinch7

yeah imagine having a "gotcha moment" after a midrange card at its time that costed 400 bucks back in july 2019 fails to deliver a good ray tracing experience 4 years later. here it is, 4 years after, "AS WE SAID RAY TRACING IS OBSOLETE FOR THESE GPUS!!! MIGHT AS WELL GET AN AMD CARD! YOU SHOULD'VE GOTTEN AN AMD CARD AS WE SUGGESTED" all the experiences you had those 4 years does not matter, apparently.

having 4 years of ray tracing goodness on such a card is ANYTHING but great. You can pretty much play any ray traced titles at respectable image quality at 1440p/dlss with 40+ FPS between games that is released in 2019 and 2022. somehow the past experiences do not matter. somehow 2060 super should've lasted with meaningfull ray tracing experience for... HOW MANY YEARS?? like what did they expect it to last forever? last 5+ years? its not even a 70 tier card. of course it will falter after 3-4 years. it played ray tracing in games like cyberpunk, doom eternal, spiderman, metro exodus enhanced, quake, half life, crysis, control and many more. if you think all of these were not worth the price of a 3-4 years of good experience, I don't know what kind of a delusional world they're in. I'm not even delving into the goodies 2060 super provided to its user in this 4 year span (and will keep being revelant for the future) with reflex, DLDSR and DLSS itself.

what is funnier that 1080p dlss quality provides native 1080p taa-like image clarity and image quality. they're pretty on par. yet he somehow makes it sound like native 1080p taa is this pristine, clean presentation whereas dlss quality makes it muddy. quite disingenuous, and pretty disgusting. here's proof

1080p dlss quality is NOT shitty because it is upscaling from 720p. it is shitty because it is upscaling to 1080p. it is as good as 1080p can be. nothing more, nothing less. if he wants to shit on 1080p dlss quality, HE MUST shit on the native 1080p taa to begin with. because that is what native 1080p users will have to play with. and if he thinks 1080p dlss quality looks like shit, he should openly admit 1080p taa itself is shit and maybe call out devs on that? yet I never heard any of them saying "this is a 1080p card but don't buy it. because 1080p is shitty."

To be fair, 1080p users themselves also fall to the same pitfall. it is AS SOFT AS 1080p native taa is IN MOST CASES. DLSS at %67 scaling will provide native-TAA matching image clarity in all resolutions unless developer botched the upscaling implementation. yet people enable it, look at it "oh it looks like shit", turn it off and go back to native 1080p taa that also looks like shit, but they psychologically feel more secure because they think they're not rendering at 720p and even if there's a softness to the image, at least they will sleep sound knowing that they didn't play the game at supposed 720p. this is a huge problem and even caused practically a false perception that dlss is horrible at 1080p (it is not). if you just take notice, 1080p native taa is also horrible. 1080p dlss quality is just as much as horrible it is. if SOMEONE thinks a game looks good at 1080p native TAA, they should not have (technically) a problem with 1080p dlss quality's presentation, as they look similar. and at that point, it indeed becomes a free performance boost that gives a massive advantage to the card that supports DLSS

yet here they're shitting on 1080p dlss quality at every chance they got. they're creating this perception of "dlss being shit at 1080p and therefore not being a purchase decision factor if you're buying a 1080p oriented GPU, hence it is pointless to have a 1080p oriented DLSS card. might as well get an AMD card!" logic.

like what do they want? what do they mean that 1080p dlss quality looks unplayable and shit? they should simply admit 1080p native taa is unplayable and shit then. why attack on dlss when it is the 1080p itself looks shitty?
To be fair even 1440P DLSS [960P internal res] on quality looks fairly soft (in my experience) compared to native 1440P with DLAA, or no. Can't imagine 1080P DLSS to look decent in that case since the higher the internal res the better the image quality and clarity; since there is more data to work from.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I have a question, something about Control on Quality mode/30fps on PS5 made it feel uniquely more like doggy doo doo than even a regular game, I can't put my finger on it but like all the lights would smear and seem to lag your movement, I guess it was a poor implementation of motion blur for it. 60 that all felt good or unnoticeable.

Is it similar here for anyone that noticed that with Control?

Senua

To be fair even 1440P DLSS [960P internal res] on quality looks fairly soft (in my experience) compared to native 1440P with DLAA, or no. Can't imagine 1080P DLSS to look decent in that case since the higher the internal res the better the image quality and clarity; since there is more data to work from.
DLAA =/= standard shite-tier TAA

Ch. 2 down, game is starting to hit it's stride and I appreciate the Control references. Game can look real pretty, Performance Mode all the way, 30 is sluggish and ugly as shit as always lol

4Sm39Uo.jpg
sOFC4Bl.jpg
WuKgSgF.jpg
vMiA8U5.jpg

GymWolf

no idea, but surely they're vocal

like this "ign" executive editor dude that has 150k followers. he thinks he is better off playing alan wake on his series x rather than his 3080ti. that is some serious level of bullshit. it is no wonder guys like alex gets triggered. i'm quite certain he was specifically triggered at this tweet (as it comes from a prominent person who works at ign)

Dude is a fucking idiot, his 3080ti would destroy the console version, especially rtx wise.

But the dude is an xbox shill if i remember well, so it's par for the course.

GymWolf

What I've noticed with alot of PC players is if they can't play at max settings then they get their feelings hurt.
I was like that once, then i learned that most settings have little to no difference between ultra and very high\high, sometimes even medium.

Of course there are settings that i'm never gonna scale down like textures and character details etc. but for everything that include shadows, reflections and lights i have no problem turning down a notch or 2.

Of course when you have the new shiny gpu and you can play everything on ultra without wasting time testing settings, it feels good man :lollipop_squinting:

Mister Wolf

I was like that once, then i learned that most settings have little to no difference between ultra and very high\high, sometimes even medium.

Of course there are settings that i'm never gonna scale down like textures and character details etc. but for everything that include shadows, reflections and lights i have no problem turning down a notch or 2.

Of course when you have the new shiny gpu and you can play everything on ultra without wasting time testing settings, it feels good man :lollipop_squinting:

Yeah. I think as long as I can get an experience better than what the consoles can provide while being able to tailor that experience to my personal preferences then I'll always be happy.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Hmm, not completely accurate. He’s right that many settings did run at low and lower than low but many settings ran at medium or above. The all important texture setting ran at ultra. These were One X equivalent PC settings for RDR2:

l3zM9j9.jpg

He is talking about the global ultra "preset", meaning everything on ultra.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Performance on ps5 in chapter 2 is abysmal. Doesn’t hold 30 at all.
It’s raining at night in the woods. That chapter.

And the image quality sometimes breaks up quite a bit. But the game is a stunner

Edmund

I usually hate 30 fps modes due to me gaming on an oled TV. . Even 40 fps modes in playstation first party games hurt my eyes. But for some reason, due to the slow pace of Alan Wake 2, I'm playing it in Fidelity mode just fine (30 fps)

hinch7

DLAA =/= standard shite-tier TAA
Even so. 1080P DLSS isn't going to look that favorable compared to native+TAA.

DLSS 1080p - Internal res
Quality: 1280x720p
Balance: 1114x626p
Performance: 960x540p
Ultra Perf: 640x360p

I'm sure you can find comparisons online...

Last edited:

yamaci17

Even so. 1080P DLSS isn't going to look that favorable compared to native+TAA.

DLSS 1080p - Internal res
Quality: 1280x720p
Balance: 1114x626p
Performance: 960x540p
Ultra Perf: 640x360p

I'm sure you can find comparisons online...
I've literally linked two comparisons pitting 1080p native taa versus dlss quality yet you still spew out the same thing

they literally look the same. only difference would be in situations where game applies sharpening to its own taa implementation and no sharpening to dlss (like cyberpunk, and in that case, I removed sharpening. you can also apply your own sharpening to DLSS. same goes for both ways)

Last edited:

hinch7

I've literally linked two comparisons pitting 1080p native taa versus dlss quality yet you still spew out the same thing

they literally look the same. only difference would be in situations where game applies sharpening to its own taa implementation and no sharpening to dlss (like cyberpunk, and in that case, I removed sharpening. you can also apply your own sharpening to DLSS. same goes for both ways)
Then go play a game, pan your camera. And try with DLSS and TAA on and see your motion resolution drop/break with upscaling. Static screenshots don't show that. Don't beleive the marketing fluff, I've played for years on using upscalers and the image quality won't be as consistant than native, no matter what Nvidia, AMD or what have you say.

Doesn't look the same when actually playing a game. Maybe its a but less noticable at 4K DLSS (performance) but 1440P DLSS and lower when your base resolution is 960P or under its very noticable.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Then go play a game, pan your camera. And try with DLSS and TAA on and see your motion resolution drop/break with upscaling. Static screenshots don't show that. Don't beleive the marketing fluff, I've played for years on using upscalers and the image quality won't be as consistant than native, no matter what Nvidia, AMD or what have you say.

Doesn't look the same when actually playing a game. Maybe its a but less noticable at 4K DLSS (performance) but 1440P DLSS and lower when your base resolution is 960P or under its very noticable.
comparisons are made in MOTION. and these are MY comparisons. not some "marketing fluff" I've found somewhere else.

Last edited:

hinch7

comparisons are made in MOTION.
Thanks for proving my point in CP. There's more more detail in native + TAA (for obvious reasons). The TAA implementation in RDR is horrible as well.

And as your per screenshot here https://imgsli.com/MTY4NzMz . Even with the blurry mess that's TAA, DLSS looks way softer in details. And that looks horrible. Granted at how low the internal resolution scaling is, most people wouldn't even try turning that on at 1080P and go TAA/DLAA instead. And perhaps MSAA should performance permit it.

Last edited:

yamaci17

I'd be pretty pissed too if I spent $2000+ on a good PC gaming rig and couldn't get max settings for most new games after 12-16 months of owning it.
max settings are arbitrary. there's no limit to what is considered max. cyberpunk has mods that increase bounces to 4 and 8

there's simply no gpu that run those bounces reliably. if devs wanted, they could've added them as the new ultra ray tracing option. but then they would add 16 bounces, which would require a future rtx 8090

in this case alan wake simply shoots above the current gen specs. quantum break was the same deal back in 2016. everyone was mad. game aged gracefully. it looks almost as good as peak lastgen games despite being an old title.

devs have no obligations to cater to the high end gpu and their users' ego. ubisoft does this though. you play with ps4 levels of draw distance and garbage foliage detail in medium distance at "ultra maxed out" preset. you get great fps too. great I guess.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I'd be pretty pissed too if I spent $2000+ on a good PC gaming rig and couldn't get max settings for most new games after 12-16 months of owning it.

You get what you pay for. If the tech race is moving too fast for them then they need to just bow out and settle for whatever the developers give them on the console ports.

Senua

I wouldn't, but I think everyone goes through that at first, then you realise constantly chasing max settings is silly for the most part

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes indeed, those playing at a choppy, inconsistent 30 fps thinking it looks better are smoking that yee haw 👌
It was only inconsistent 30 in one chapter so far and only a part of it.
7 hours in and aside from that one area, the 30fps mode looks and controls great.
Motion blur is very high quality and really helps with 30fps here.
The camera controls are not the best I’ve seen in a 30fps but it’s ok

MacReady13

So what is the consensus on PS5 folks ? Fidelity or performance ?
Performance. Game still looks great. Not too sure what people are seeing saying it looks "soft". Looks fine to me on my Sony 4k TV and plays really well. So far maintains a great lock at 60 fps although I'm only a couple of hours in.

hlm666

Exactly.
And then there is that use rt
"uhm yes the light is above table and floor is under the table, therefore is it much more accurate how PITCH FUCKING BLACK it is under the table with RT".
Like... is all of the floor and underside of the table painted with vanta black?!.
RT looks great sometimes but everyone is blind to criticizing it
lol you need to get out more or something.

iu

CGNoire

Looking pretty amazing.
Tbh I expected RT to be more transformative.
Shadows are improved vastly, but sometimes reflections look a bit off.
Like in this this scene below. With super clean reflection, simplified car model stands out. And it dosnt seem to reflect atmospherics. You have foggy/misty and yet reflection look like clear, sunny day, and its actually brighter than scene itself.
53287445931_fbcce622cqvdto.png
Well that fucking sucks.

CGNoire

It's why I stuck with my old 1080p plasma for this gen. The specs were simply too low to have any meaningful 'next-gen' upgrades at resolutions above 1080p.

But even that was overestimating it a bit because AW2 still looks blurry as hell in performance mode. It's still better than on a 4k screen but not as much as I'd hoped.
Same.
Motion Resolution >>>> Sharp image "when standing still".

#motionresolution4life

1080p Plasmas look better than modern 4k tvs 99% of the time....when it matters most.

Top Bottom