• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Battlefield 1 PS4 Pro vs PS4/PC Ultra Graphics Comparison/Analysis

chrislowe

PS4 Pro users are getting high (SSR and Terrain Quality on Medium) at 1440p (or higher) at 60ish fps for 399.

I not here to say which is better. But both have their qualities. Also, the checkerboard rendering looks amazing on BF 1.

Sadly not that great on Tomb Raider in fast paced action scenes. I wonder what Nixxes has done wrong (or perhaps it's just that terrible engine created from Crystal Dynamics. Call of Duty also looks great with checkerboard rendering)

Well, i get 90-110 fps with vsync off at ultra 1080P, so I guess 60 at 1440P is possible.

But, yes 399 is a great price, not saying the PRO is not a great value, just that you dont need to spend 2000 on a gaming pc to get the same performance :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How do we determine the value of the console? Is the PS4 Pro better value than the original PS4?

I would say yes, it's the same price the PS4 was at launch, and almost up until the Slim got announced. So you're not paying a 'premium' price for it, you're paying the same price the base unit was sold on.

You're getting a much powerful and future proof box though.

NHale

So the game already supported PS4 Pro at launch?

Is DF doing a comparison of non-patched games? Operation Sports users are reporting that MLB The Show runs better on PS4 Pro. Might as well try it on some games like Witcher III, GTA V..

How do we determine the value of the console? Is the PS4 Pro better value than the original PS4?

If you don't have a PS4, I would always opt to get the Pro compared to the Slim especially since it's only 100$/€ more. The improvements are big and noticeable and future games will show that difference even more, so right now to anyone interested in getting their first current gen console, it's a no brainer actually, just get a Pro. As a 4K TV owner even if it was 200 vs 400 I would still think the Pro is better value.

For current PS4 Basic owners, it's really a difficult proposition because it's 400 vs 0 price comparison. Maybe if you are a 4K TV owner and buys a lots of games yearly.

belvedere

Junior Butler
For current PS4 Basic owners, it's really a difficult proposition because it's 400 vs 0 price comparison. Maybe if you are a 4K TV owner and buys a lots of games yearly.

At around $215 after trading in my PS4 it was an easy sell. Not everyone will agree, but being future proofed for the remainder of the generation is more than worth it. The recent performance improvements in BF1 are huge to me as well because I spend most of my gaming time with it.

That's the most easy question.

Let's remove the benefits of gaming of this equation.

For 100 bucks you get the double of Storage, better WiFi (the old PS4 sucks) and one more USB. The storage itself is enough to me.

But then, you also get (let's consider only the regular-good examples)

- At least double of the resolution, some even higher compared to Base PS4
- Better framerates (excluding games that are broken like Deus Ex and the case of 1800p Last of us)
- Higher Level of Detail
- Improved graphics option (like textures, shadows, tessellation, foliage density)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Improved resolution, improved detail/effects, and a significant boost in performance for both 1080p and 4K users? Nice

I hope more games Pro modes are like this.

I was hoping they would get SSR in there though but it's still a nice improvement

You know I had a feeling it was running checkerboard rendering when I first boot it up.

I have a 1080p TV and I feel like it could be a little more clean looking. They really need to give 1080p users a native res option with improved details like pc users get.

The framerate is so silky smooth though, it's fantastic.

It's definitely an upgrade because the base ps4 looks blurry when shit gets hectic and the res drops but I think native 1080p would look cleaner than checkerboard even at a higher res. Correct me if I'm wrong.

thelastword

Banned
Good to read actual evidence of performance enhancements rather than the bogus claims by some on here who said there weren't anything but a bump from 900p to 1080p.
Absolutely, Winstano and Gamespot got torn a new one. People were talking about credibility, other journalists said there was no patch, take our word for it as always. It was really bad form...

Have anybody said they were wrong?

Getting good trade in deals makes it an easy decision.

Traded in my Xbox One (which was gathering dust) along with my my OG PS4 and a few games. Managed to get a PS4 Pro for a total spend of £0.

(Actually, I've got £13 left over)

As we get down to it... and with Scorpio coming too...

I've come to realise that if they can lock the frame rate that's perfect, but what I really want is more stuff on screen. Y'know?
More effects, more wind, more rain, more snow, puddles, reflections, more debris, more environment detail, additional trees and wildlife... stuff like that.

it wont happen, these consoles are way too weak for that. BF4 on launch was crazy like that until it wasnt still though it retained some of the epicness just downscaled a bit because perf is always preferred

What I meant to ask was if the PS4 Pro is better value now compared to the PS4 when it was first released. $399 vs $399. Now the answer is pretty obvious, the Pro is clearly better value than the PS4 slim.

With the Pro there is no "we", only you. If you think better graphics/framerate is that important then get it, if not, don't. It's not an algebra equation, you either want one or you don't. There's been enough coverage on it to make up your own mind.

From the other thread:

FeelsGoodMan.jpg

Hmm I wonder if the resolution goes below 1440p during 64 player multiplayer?

Maybe not as its likely mostly CPU limited. although the intense action is bound to stress the GPU too.

I don't think so.

Looks like a solid 1080 to me.

Titanfall 2 is 1440p and looks worlds cleaner. I also played the beta on my PC at both Native 4K and 1440p, and it looked cleaner then too.

I might be wrong, but I think this is 1080p with improved framerate.

Which I am A ok with, especially if they say 4K rendering(or upscaling from 1400/1800p) is coming soon.

Edit: well I may have spoke too soon. Playing it again now with fresh eyes and it does look really fuckigng crisp.

Laughing hard at people saying to add "screen and speakers" to the PC cost. Let's do that, but then add the cost of a HDR 4k to the Pro cost.

Really outstanding job on PS4 Pro

This. I made a note of this before in another thread, but i'm very impressed with the value of this €400,- (entire cased system). I just bought a gtx 1070 (just a gpu) for €500,- and i would have imagined it'd destroy the Pro. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far, so no regrets whatsoever, but i wonder how they compare... (i'm no expert though)

Ellite25

I knew this already had a Pro upgrade. Immediately noticeable when I started playing. And it looks fucking phenomenal and runs better. Great job Dice.

Lister

Banned
This. I made a note of this before in another thread, but i'm very impressed with the value of this €400,- (entire cased system). I just bought a gtx 1070 (just a gpu) for €500,- and i would have imagined it'd destroy the Pro. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far, so no regrets whatsoever, but i wonder how they compare... (i'm no expert though)

It does.

Rizific

my 1070 runs bf1 at the high preset in 1440p at 90-110 fps, for whatever thats worth.

Behlel

I didn't realize PS4s came with TVs these days.
Did you play without Mouse and Keyboard on PC? The OS is free? And how can you install the OS without a CD/DVD drive?
All that importance for the UHD BD drive and you don't consider the inclusion of a mere FHD BD drive?
Just make a fair comparison with a BD drive, the OS and everything else.

Marlenus

This seems like the way to do a pro upgrade. Balancing res increase with effects increase and performance increase. Gives you an improvement in every category so nothing for people to complain about.

More options would be nice if you want a fully optimised 1080p experience but that would be icing on an already lovely cake.

Lister

Banned
Did you play without Mouse and Keyboard on PC? The OS is free? And how can you install the OS without a CD/DVD drive?
All that importance for the UHD BD drive and you don't consider the inclusion of a mere FHD BD drive?
Just make a fair comparison with a BD drive, the OS and everything else.

Windows comes in usb sticks now a days.

Hexa

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait just a second there.
They figured out how to have dynamic res and checkerboard rendering simultaneously? Has that never been done before or was I just under the misunderstanding that so far it wasn't possible to do both? O.O
Hopefully that becomes more standard across games in the future.

DBT85

Nice to see they got the right things right with the patch. That framerate difference tho!

While framerates don't typically bother me that much, I'd love to see more people using dynamic resolutions to hit consistent framerates. I mean, Wipeout HD did it like 8 years ago on PS3.

Running at say TLOUR 1800p60 with brief dips to say 1700 or something isn't going to be that noticeable for the few frames it needs to happen on to ensure a smoother experience.

DnPksnt.png

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait just a second there.
They figured out how to have dynamic res and checkerboard rendering simultaneously? Has that never been done before or was I just under the misunderstanding that so far it wasn't possible to do both? O.O
Hopefully that becomes more standard across games in the future.

Don't see any reason why people would think it was impossible. You can checkerboard from anything, they just prefer to do it from 2x1080 than anything else as it provides the cleanest image. If its only going with a lower resolution for a few seconds you're not going to notice as much compared to the frame dips.

-hadouken

That framerate difference tho!

It's a helpful boost, tho the game still needs a mode that targets performance. Ride a horse (wider field of view) on Scar, it it becomes less than acceptable. A native 1080P mode that doesn't have the dynamic resolution blips would do wonders for the longevity of this game.

cakely

What I meant to ask was if the PS4 Pro is better value now compared to the PS4 when it was first released. $399 vs $399. Now the answer is pretty obvious, the Pro is clearly better value than the PS4 slim.

Yeah. For $100 you get twice the GPU power, twice the disk size, an extra usb port, 5gz wi-fi, SATAIII, an optical out and 1080p remote play/shareplay.

It's a no-brainer.

I have a very expensive PC and can run this game maxed out at native 4k, I would say for the price of the pro the quality is impressive. Of course it's not going to look as good.

As impressive as it might be, the reason I cancelled my preorder is that ultimately it's still a console and all the power is useless to me if I can't choose how I want to play my games. I was hoping a game like Ratchet and Clank would have a 60fps option at 1080p but it doesn't cause the developer decided not to offer that option. It's the same with BF1, maybe someone wants to play at 1080p with all the bells and whistles of the ultra version of PC but they can't do that because the choice isn't there.

You know I had a feeling it was running checkerboard rendering when I first boot it up.

I have a 1080p TV and I feel like it could be a little more clean looking. They really need to give 1080p users a native res option with improved details like pc users get.

The framerate is so silky smooth though, it's fantastic.

It's definitely an upgrade because the base ps4 looks blurry when shit gets hectic and the res drops but I think native 1080p would look cleaner than checkerboard even at a higher res. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At 1080 output it would be downscaled from the internal variable res. ~1400-1600 not the checkerboard upscale, as is my understanding.

As impressive as it might be, the reason I cancelled my preorder is that ultimately it's still a console and all the power is useless to me if I can't choose how I want to play my games. I was hoping a game like Ratchet and Clank would have a 60fps option at 1080p but it doesn't cause the developer decided not to offer that option. It's the same with BF1, maybe someone wants to play at 1080p with all the bells and whistles of the ultra version of PC but they can't do that because the choice isn't there.

Yes, I agree. I also like to choose how I can play and run my games, but others don't seem that bothered about it.

And whilst BF1 looks considerably better on my PC, I wouldn't say it was £2000 better looking (the difference in price with the Pro) so people are getting a good deal with this game at least.

That soft image would drive me insane though personally.

LordOfChaos

At first just looking at the textures and stuff I didn't see a big difference, but in motion the PC version does a much better job at bridging the uncanny valley imo. Number of particles in the air, detail and motion per-particle, the smoke and haze, everything being a bit better together really brought it above the PS4 Pro. As you'd expect for the cost of a PC capable of running that at 4K, of course.

That's kind of the flip side when people say the Pro is impressive for its price, that no PC at that price would do 4K. Well sure it is, but just keep in mind it's not nearly doing what a PC at non-checkerboarded 4K would be doing.

Top Bottom