• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Crysis 3 Face Off

I went off the rails I allow, but I stand by my comment that what has been shows of the new Killzone is superior to Crysis 3 maxed out, it's the real next-gen thrill and while Crysis 3 looks phenomenal it belongs to the current generation in my opinion.

lol, the current generation/next generation. I dont even know what that means in relation to PC games, other than the dozens of dx9/10 PC ports weve had to swallow..Im glad the next generation of console hardware is coming tho, it means better PC ports.

Crysis 3 has too many effects that Killzone simply doesn't display. Especially the water tech and vegetation tech is extremely impressive. KZ probably won't have these at all. Mainly because Cry Engine 2 is way more mature than whatever engine GG is using for KZ Shadow Fall. Crytek have already shipped at least 3 games using that engine (Crysis 2, Warface, Crysis 3) while this is GG's first foray into next gen.

You can't expect a studio like that to blow away Crytek, Crytek is pretty much the apex of tech in games.

lol, the current generation. I dont even know what that means in relation to PC games...other than the dozens of dx9/10 PC ports weve had to swallow..Im glad the next generation of console hardware is coming tho, it means better PC ports.

But it is obvious to some extent what he means...most pc games are geared towards consoles with added effects. Take a game like Max Payne 3 for instance, even running on max on a PC it looks nowhere near as impressive as what is seen in most of the PS4 games shown. I don't filly agree on Crysis 3, however. I think it looks plenty next gen in terms of asset quality and effects. KZ does impress me more though.

SniperHunter: What effects are you talking about? Post processing and motion blur looked at least as impressive in KZ. Anyway, geometry is what impressed me most there. I don't think I have seen a game with such a scene before and so little pop-in.

Eideka

Banned
lol, the current generation/next generation. I dont even know what that means in relation to PC games, other than the dozens of dx9/10 PC ports weve had to swallow..Im glad the next generation of console hardware is coming tho, it means better PC ports.

Whether you like it or not (I really do for my part) consoles dictate the technological roadmap for obvious financial reasons.
Consequently multiplatform PC games progress visually if the console versions do too, developpers for the most part don't heavily invest in the platform to the point of completely overhauling the PC SKU, that would be counterproductive in the long run for them, as a PC gamer primarily I fully agree with that.
They don't owe us shit, funnily enough they are the ones who have something to win from enhancing a PC version, chances are a good port will make the operation more profitable for them but the core game has to remain the same in a multiplatform developpment.
Those differences however can be significant for those who know where to look but the casual observer won't notice anything and thus won't feel "cheated", this is what matters most.

That's ironic when you think about it but next-gen begins when consoles say so, that's the rule and I have absolutely nothing against that, how costly would a true next-gen game be on PC ? The hardware is there but not the market, let's bear that in mind before shitting on consoles. Without this market I don't think we would have anything "high-end" to discuss on PC, I agree with the last part of your post though , yes next-gen consoles will raise the bar significantly for PC games and that's a good enough reason to keep an eye on them.
Even PC only gamers know how important they are, that said I don't believe the current mid/high end PCs of 2012 will struggle much to run next-gen ports, PC is next-gen ready.

Crysis 3 has too many effects that Killzone simply doesn't display. Especially the water tech and vegetation tech is extremely impressive. KZ probably won't have these at all. Mainly because Cry Engine 2 is way more mature than whatever engine GG is using for KZ Shadow Fall. Crytek have already shipped at least 3 games using that engine (Crysis 2, Warface, Crysis 3) while this is GG's first foray into next gen.
You can't expect a studio like that to blow away Crytek, Crytek is pretty much the apex of tech in games.
I disagree with that, strongly, while it's true that Crytek are "tech Gods" it shouldn't be underestimated what talented studios can do with a far higher common denominator. Killzone Shadow Fall unlike Crysis 3 is a game designed with next-gen in mind and it comes as no surprise that it looks superior to pretty much everything running on PC right now, no matter how much graphic cards you may throw in that does not change the fact that the assets are made with current-gen consoles restrictions in mind.
You seem to assume a lot if I read your post right, how do you know that the next Killzone won't feature effects as computationally expensive as the ones in Crysis 3 ? Killzone 2 and 3 are technical marvels held back by a 2006 console, given powerful hardware they will blow everything out of the water for quite some time. Is it possible to do even better on PC ? I would say yes....But would it financially be possible ? I don't know Star Citizen's budget but this is the most breathtaking next-gen game I've seen so far.

I think some people prefer the art direction. Ill admit, the art of those Killzone games is extremely smart in the way its put together. the only area where I felt that trailer had any kind of technological edge over Crysis was in that wide shot of the city.

sono

Gold Member
PC version looks incredible.

I am disappointed by the appearance of PS3 version in those screenshots to the extent that this will only be a "bargain bucket purchase if I ever buy it at all. " (I dont have a360 or a PC rig).

I am also both concerned and frankly surprised of the huge difference shown in those shots of the 360 version over the PS3.

I assume this is due to the widely publicized complexities of developing high IQ/frame rates PS3 games rather than developer competence, or a shame they didn't spend a few more million$ on their 66m$

Whether you like it or not (I really do for my part) consoles dictate the technological roadmap for obvious financial reasons. Consequently the PC games progress visually if the console version does too, developpers for the most part don't heavily invest in the platform to the point of completely overhaul the PC SKU, that would be counterproductive in the long run for them.

okay, well just pretend like the dx11 version of Metro 33 doesnt exist

I disagree with that, strongly, while it's true that Crytek are "tech Gods" it shouldn't be underestimated what talented studios can do with a far higher common denominator. Killzone Shadow Fall unlike Crysis 3 is a game designed with next-gen in mind and it comes as no surprise that it looks superior to pretty much everything running on PC right now, no matter how much graphic cards you may throw in that does not change the fact that the assets are made with current-gen consoles restrictions in mind.

allright, I am no expert but what you say does make a lot of sense :)

I think some people prefer the art direction. Ill admit, the art of those Killzone games is extremely smart in the way its put together. the only area where I felt that trailer had any kind of technological edge over Crysis was in that wide shot of the city.

eh? The tech behind Shadow Fall seems rather impressive. The level of detail is very good with minimal pop in, the frame rate is locked, the bodies stay on the ground, depth of field, motion blur are in place, the rag dolls on the bodies seem cool....but it's too early. We shouldn't judge a game based on a trailer.

I wasn't very impressed with Metro 2033 :/

Eideka

Banned

I respectfully disagree with you, Metro 2033 is a wonder on PC with all the bells and whistles turned on but I can't say with a straight face that its visuals are next-gen worthy, not at all.
Killzone Shadow Fall is next-gen.
Infamous Second Son is next-gen.
Watch Dogs is next-gen.
Deep Down is next-gen.

PC games of 2010- are not next-gen.
Could they ? Yes.
Would it be financially reasonable ? I don't think so and apparently so do publishers.

I wasn't very impressed with Metro 2033 :/
Still one of the best looking PC game of today. ;) Just don't pay to much attention to some textures..

Durante

I am certain that Crysis 3 on a good PC looks as good or better than the majority of next-gen console games that will be released in the first 2 years (at least).

SystemBug said:
8522442994_4f03eabe59_k.jpg

I am certain that Crysis 3 on a good PC looks as good or better than the majority of next-gen console games that will be released in the first 2 years (at least).

Yeah, I definitely agree it will look better than the majority. However, if games live up to some of the tech on display we will definitely see better. Again, I already find KZ more impressive. Sure it is linear so far, but the scale and geometry in the environment surpass anything I have seen in crysis.

That screen looks absolutely fantastic by the way. Crysis 3 really should be a launch game for next gen.

Eideka

Banned
Wouldn't it be a little sad though ? As good as Crysis 3 looks aren't we entitled to expect much more from next-gen software even at launch ?

To me, Watch Dogs is more impressive from the footage released, Crysis 3 for some reason does not give me a "next-gen" feel at all. I used to think Watch Dogs wouldn't even be on the same level not so long ago but the recent PS Meeting footage has changed my mind.

Regardless, I never willingly implied that Crysis 3 is not a stunning game at max settings on PC, I played it with everything on very high on a I7 3770 and a GTX670, a magnificent spectacle but not next-gen in my opinion.

It's going to be interesting to analyse the differences between the PC and the PS4/720 versions when they release. I'd venture a guess that they will look noticeably better while running at full HD.

it doesn't look this good, this is a bull shot. I am playing with a 7970 and I can only use FXAA to maintain a high 40-60 frame rate. MSAA absolutely kills the performance in this game.

Top Bottom