• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Direct 'Special': Worst PC Ports of 2023

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They're painfully bad at this.
I just remembered that the big bad EA CEO let Stig delay the game OUT of their Fiscal Year in March. It wasnt forced to release during the holiday period. They were willing to take a hit on their fiscal year earnings. They literally told Respawn to delay it by 3 months but Stig said 1 month is fine. This is on DEVS.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They start the video off by absolving the devs of any blame and put the blame squarely on the publisher. What? Microsoft gave Turn 10 6 fucking years to make one game and they blew it. this is not on Phil Spencer. Sony gave ND 7 months after launching the PS5 version to port TLOU Part 1. They didnt force day one releases like EA does. So who is at fault there?

Alex was like we didnt bother reviewing TLOU at launch because it was so bad. Id argue that they MUST review these broken ports and give them a 0/10 for being unfuckingplayable. People do watch these videos from DF. they total several hundred thousand views despite them not being a PC focused channel. They owe it to their audience to review these games and be harsh. It is literally their job. Making a funny podcast style video isnt enough. It needs to be a review and it needs to rip Naughty Dog a new one.

Respawn made the game and decided not to fix it. The immortal devs are still fixing it. Game published by the same EA that published Dead Space and Respawn. We need to stop putting devs on a pedestal. This is on the dev who knew that the shader stutter in Star Wars and Dead Space rendered them unplayable in some levels, and didnt bother telling his bosses. If he told his managers then its on them. If the managers told their studio exec leadership then its on them. I highly doubt Jim Ryan or Phil Spencer even know about shader struggle. I am going to blame the devs who ship games with bugs.

Lastly, EA let Respawn delay the game OUT of their Fiscal Year. It wasnt forced to release during the holiday period. They were willing to take a hit on their fiscal year earnings. They literally told Respawn to delay it by 3 months but Stig said 1 month is fine. This is on DEVS.

they didnt include anything after september because they think there should be a grace period of 3 months to allow devs to FIX the game.

Absolutely fucking retarded I say.
yep.
They do some backwards ass thinking there.
And then they shit on other games which had less problems.
Some selective hate going on heer.

And look again -No hogwarts mention. Not in best games, not in worst games, not in bad ports (even thought the pc port is pretty bad).
I am kinda done with DF. They are selective, they pixel peep and then they say pixel counting is stupid... but then they zoom 400x again. It's bs

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
it is virtually unplayable.

del-griffith-oh-sure-sure.gif

Starfield had to be modded just to get the game to work, it took Bethesda over a month to get it somewhat working.
Here I didn't need any mod for the game to work.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just remembered that the big bad EA CEO let Stig delay the game OUT of their Fiscal Year in March. It wasnt forced to release during the holiday period. They were willing to take a hit on their fiscal year earnings. They literally told Respawn to delay it by 3 months but Stig said 1 month is fine. This is on DEVS.
I wonder if any if any bonus incentives were part of said developer decision making in that regards.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

By time I played dead space (around 6 months after launch) it was generally fine. The stutters were there but not shockingly bad on a 4090. The game was so good I was able to put up with it. I agree fm23 should be there as the game launched unfinished. Tlou at launch was a nightmare. So many issues and at one point ran my cpu to like 98 degrees c. In fact, it’s what encouraged me to upgrade my case to allow more air flow. But after a couple of patches it improved a lot and I really enjoyed playing through at ultrawide.
i played it last month and man it is a nightmare. I dont have a 4090 but a 3080 paired with a decent CPU like mine should not be having these issues. they show this in the video. At one point, he walks up to a wall then turns around and boom, massive shader spike. This has to do with loading of the game objects and the gpu culling every single game does.

i still wouldnt say its the worst because thats TLOU1 but at least that was fixed and is probably the best pc port of the year after Avatar. Dead Space actually never got a patch after February. I think that was the only patch released for the game.

rsouzadk

i also play it on a 3080 on a 7.5GBps ssd and 32GB of ram. The only difference is that my CPU is a 11700k and i am using ddr4 3600 ram.

It is stuttering hell. Every new area i enter has massive stutters that last 5 seconds. and because its not shader compilation, it continues to happen as its traversal related stutter so all backtracking means i continue to encounter these stutters. In a game that has you enter and leave rooms every couple of minutes, it is virtually unplayable.
Maybe for you, but as i said, for me it is perfect playable.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I launched that demo and when the shuttle exploded the game stutter froze up until an enemies attack you after the explosion. IT WAS STILL STUTTERING WHEN THEY ATTACKED ME.
19:40 I experienced this but my fps was 7 and his is 10 :p How is that playable

Here it happened only in the cutscene, which we can't play, because it's a cutscene. Right after it was normal. That 12 GB of RAM doing its job?

what makes you think the games in that video are PC PORTS
Where I said the games in the video are ports?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Here it happened only in the cutscene, with we can't play, because it's a cutscene. Right after it was normal. That 12 GB of RAM doing its job?

point is
title of the video says worst PC ports
starfield mentioned in same video
you ask me why i think it is a port
because...........................it is

Mortisfacio

that's simply untrue.

Yah I'm not really sure where this comes from. I played Starfield about 15 hours on PC before sidelining it until next year (waiting on some QoL updates already announced) but my launch 15 hours was entirely smooth and bug free, just boring.

Calverz

i played it last month and man it is a nightmare. I dont have a 4090 but a 3080 paired with a decent CPU like mine should not be having these issues. they show this in the video. At one point, he walks up to a wall then turns around and boom, massive shader spike. This has to do with loading of the game objects and the gpu culling every single game does.

i still wouldnt say its the worst because thats TLOU1 but at least that was fixed and is probably the best pc port of the year after Avatar. Dead Space actually never got a patch after February. I think that was the only patch released for the game.
I didn’t realise dead space only had one patch. I mean the stutter was annoying don’t get me wrong. But I perhaps didn’t have it as bad as others due to my build. But I was able to play through it because the game is so good and it looked amazing on my rig.

SlimySnake

Maybe for you, but as i said, for me it is perfect playable.
maybe your ddr5 ram is the key because the video shows DF having the same issue with a 4090 and a 12900k.

NeztIKd.gif

This is the demo? Because in the demo here it didn't happen here so severe. Just a hiccup.

Source?
full game. all footage in the video is from the base game. this is an issue inherent to their asset streaming. it is not shader stutter since it continues to happen even after you enter an area for the first time. its not quite traversal stutter because even though it happens when you enter a new area, it can happen at any point even when you are walking in a hallway that has already loaded. you can see that in the video as well as he chases an enemy and the game randomly suffers a massive stutter.

only other game that has stuttering this bad is star wars but only in the koboh town. the rest of the game is fine. whereas dead space has these spikes literally every 30-60 seconds. you just never know when they pop up.

rsouzadk

They are not a 100% reliable source.
I do agree 100%.

maybe your ddr5 ram is the key because the video shows DF having the same issue with a 4090 and a 12900k.

NeztIKd.gif

full game. all footage in the video is from the base game. this is an issue inherent to their asset streaming. it is not shader stutter since it continues to happen even after you enter an area for the first time. its not quite traversal stutter because even though it happens when you enter a new area, it can happen at any point even when you are walking in a hallway that has already loaded. you can see that in the video as well as he chases an enemy and the game randomly suffers a massive stutter.

only other game that has stuttering this bad is star wars but only in the koboh town. the rest of the game is fine. whereas dead space has these spikes literally every 30-60 seconds. you just never know when they pop up.

I have no clue what is going on on there, but at my rig i did not have any stutters like that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I didn’t realise dead space only had one patch. I mean the stutter was annoying don’t get me wrong. But I perhaps didn’t have it as bad as others due to my build. But I was able to play through it because the game is so good and it looked amazing on my rig.
yeah i loved it too. its a very old school game design with some fantastic visuals. But the main problem isnt just that it shipped with these stutters, virtually every game did this year on PC, the problem like DF says is that they didnt patch it after the first patch. They dropped it back in February and never updated it again. Whereas games like TLOU1 which shipped in a worse state were eventually fixed through patches.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
i also play it on a 3080 on a 7.5GBps ssd and 32GB of ram. The only difference is that my CPU is a 11700k and i am using ddr4 3600 ram.

It is stuttering hell. Every new area i enter has massive stutters that last 5 seconds. and because its not shader compilation, it continues to happen as its traversal related stutter so all backtracking means i continue to encounter these stutters. In a game that has you enter and leave rooms every couple of minutes, it is virtually unplayable.
The RAM could be the problem. In Rift Apart, DDR5 6000 CL36 runs quite a bit better than my DDR4 3000 CL16. Fewer stutters and a more stable performance, especially during portal traversal.

I kind of wanna try it since it's on sale right now. It's on the Epic Store though.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

After the patches? Because the demo is already with patches.
that i dont know. but he covered the game in july and it had the same issues. the game stopped being patched after februrary. it is still the only patch released on PC.

SlimySnake

The RAM could be the problem. In Rift Apart, DDR5 6000 CL36 runs quite a bit better than my DDR4 3000 CL16. Fewer stutters and a more stable performance, especially during portal traversal.

I kind of wanna try it since it's on sale right now. It's on the Epic Store though.
I just bought star wars from the epic store and it launches through the new EA client. you basically redeem it on the EA app like you would a GMG or CD Keys game on Steam.

You just get it for far cheaper on the epic store thanks to their 30% holiday coupon whereas on the ea store, you just pay the sale price.

simpatico

Dead Space remake is one of the most overrated games I've seen received. EA didn't give one single fuck about fixing it. Just straight up dumped. The OG still feels better to play. Something about the remake felt clunky. Decaps didn't feel right.

Bojji

I do agree 100%.

I have no clue what is going on on there, but at my rig i did not have any stutters like that.

It did. There is no PC in existence that doesn't have this stutters.

Use frametime graph for a while and tell me you didn't saw any stutters. I tried deadspace on 6800 and few Nvidia cards, it stutters more on AMD and I don't know the reason but Nvidia cards are of course not free of this.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I just bought star wars from the epic store and it launches through the new EA client. you basically redeem it on the EA app like you would a GMG or CD Keys game on Steam.

You just get it for far cheaper on the epic store thanks to their 30% holiday coupon whereas on the ea store, you just pay the sale price.
Lol, seems that they're having problems with their store at the moment. I get an error message saying that I visit too frequently. I finally managed to get in and tried to buy it but got 404'd. Not sure if their servers are getting hammered. Is there a big game for free in the store today? Things tend to crash when this happens.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It did. There is no PC in existence that doesn't have this stutters.

Use frametime graph for a while and tell me you didn't saw any stutters. I tried deadspace on 6800 and few Nvidia cards, it stutters more on AMD and I don't know the reason but Nvidia cards are of course not free of this.
Key point is "like that". In the demo the stutters are not that severe anymore.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Here it happened only in the cutscene, which we can't play, because it's a cutscene. Right after it was normal. That 12 GB of RAM doing its job?

You always have some smart answer but it happens in gameplay too... like in the vid I linked right after the cutscene.
Let me tell you something - on ps5 it doesn't happen even in cutscene

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You always have some smart answer but it happens in gameplay too... like in the vid I linked right after the cutscene.
Let me tell you something - on ps5 it doesn't happen even in cutscene
On the demo??? Severe like that? Not here and for some other folks in the thread.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On the demo??? Severe like that? Not here and for some other folks in the thread.
Yeah I had personally like this in 3 places in the demo.
Maybe you have more vram or some other magical thing happened but there is no real fix working for everyone to get rid of these stutter moments.

Three

Where did you get it is constant? Is rare here.
Because people could reproduce the bug on their system 100%. If you read the first comment it even prevented somebody from getting past a particular section of the game which this mod fixed. I didn't say anything about how many systems this affected. Only that I would consider that "not working" on the systems it did affect.

skneogaf

You two make me want to get it on PC so my beast could slay it.

It isn't the graphics card or the cpu, it's the amount data that is dumped as far as I know. It is the frostbite engines way of loading the next bit of information as you're moving around the ship.

My pc is close to top of the range as it has a 4090 and i7@5.3ghz with 64GB of ram etc so 4k 120fps is no problem but even if I put it at 800x600 lowest settings it will still stutter between the loading points.

S0ULZB0URNE

It isn't the graphics card or the cpu, it's the amount data that is dumped as far as I know. It is the frostbite engines way of loading the next bit of information as you're moving around the ship.

My pc is close to top of the range as it has a 4090 and i7@5.3ghz with 64GB of ram etc so 4k 120fps is no problem but even if I put it at 800x600 lowest settings it will still stutter between the loading points.
I will have to try it.

SlimySnake

Yeah I had personally like this in 3 places in the demo.
Maybe you have more vram or some other magical thing happened but there is no real fix working for everyone to get rid of these stutter moments.
Yep. It’s an issue with the engine. Shader stutters are fixed on subsequent visits to that same area and traversal stutters only occur in connecting/loading areas but this game has them everywhere. On every single visit to the same level.

Ten years from now regardless of how powerful your gpu is, you will run into the same issues.

Stuart360

I dont know if its included in the video but i bought Gotham Knights a couple of days ago (for £5 off CDKeys lol), and man 60fps was a breeze in the open world, it was hanging in the 40's, and even 30's, at launch.

The game may not be great but a bit of props to the devs to fixing it up.

Stuart360

The devs aren't gonna fuck you, guys. It's ok to put some of the blame on them.
To be fair i think publishers do take a large part of the blame as they force these release dates on devs, the games launch brojken, then over time those broken games get fixed.

Its still partly down to the devs as obviously they know the date they have to hit possible years in advance.

SlimySnake

I dont know if its included in the video but i bought Gotham Knights a couple of days ago (for £5 off CDKeys lol), and man 60fps was a breeze in the open world, it was hanging in the 40's, and even 30's, at launch.

The game may not be great but a bit of props to the devs to fixing it up.
i bought it late last year from egs and it was already fixed by then. there are still some issues with ray tracing modes causing prolonged 2 fps stutters but thats likely a vram issue. turning off ray tracing just got rid of it so thats how i played it. its an issue that pops up on xbox as well so i figured its just a directx thing.

the game suffered mostly from shader compilation issues which were patched out in a few weeks. it doesnt have the performance issues and other stuff we have seen in star wars and dead space.

Stuart360

i bought it late last year from egs and it was already fixed by then. there are still some issues with ray tracing modes causing prolonged 2 fps stutters but thats likely a vram issue. turning off ray tracing just got rid of it so thats how i played it. its an issue that pops up on xbox as well so i figured its just a directx thing.

the game suffered mostly from shader compilation issues which were patched out in a few weeks. it doesnt have the performance issues and other stuff we have seen in star wars and dead space.
I still get the odd drop to 59 or 58 when using the cycle, or sometimes when using bat claw to swing though the city, but that can still happen even in Arkham Knight.
Overall though its like day and night difference from launch.

Top Bottom