• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry:Does The Witcher 3: Blood And Wine Expansion Improve Its Graphics?

Paz

Uncharted 4 isn't as impressive as some of the other games mentioned. Witcher 3, GTA V, AC Syndicate, AC Unity, Mad Max, Just Cause 3, are all more impressive. A few of them also look better too. Honestly, FFXV looks to impress as well. Looks better and is more impressive on an overall technical level. Rise of The Tomb Raider(PC Version)has moments that look better than Uncharted 4, but those are linear games. DOOM looks amazing for a linear title. id Tech6 is a beast!

This post is literally why we have people with expertise and why their opinions are significantly more valuable than others in any subject that expertise covers.

These opinions are close to insanity-tier.

That 2014 demo is miles beyond Witcher 3 in quality. Lighting, texture work, foliage, char models, draw distance details, it wins in every category.

Funny that with all of these downgrades on what is predominantly basic and flat looking textures, npc's which look no better than OG xbox's fable, it still struggles so much on the consoles even when most assets are at medium quality and many sliders below low of the PC version.

What I'm seeing here in Blood and Wine is no great departure from Vanilla, just vanilla with higher contrast settings and warmer colors, it simply looks sharper, but the quality is not much better at all. If this is the highest settings on PC, I shudder to think what the console versions would look like. All I saw was pop-in city and lots and lots and lots of shimmering, I guess simply sharpening the image of your game will exemplify many of it's IQ and draw distance issues. This DLC pack reminds me of many of the early XB1 games which used the sharpening filter to give that placebo effect of extra detail, just without the black crush this time.

Man, this is gonna come off as a bit rude, but I've been following your posts in these Digital Foundry threads, and to be fairly honest, you post utter piss.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I could agree that Batman stacks up well against Uncharted 4 in a number of ways. It was an insanely good looking game.

...but something like The Witcher 3? Not even close. It's far too uneven. It can look fantastic in select scenes but the package as a whole is just unbalanced. Animation never looks great to me, transitions are poor, water isn't great, some of the foliage is ugly, etc
I think in a lot of aspects they focused on playability over the most beautiful character animation ever. What's interesting is that for the type of game that TW3 is, it has the best character animation compared to it's peers that have similar systems like the dialogue trees in terms of animation quality.

This post is literally why we have people with expertise and why their opinions are significantly more valuable than others in any subject that expertise covers.

These opinions are close to insanity-tier.

Some of you really struggle with the opinions of others. They're only insane because you don't agree. Nobody is saying what ND have done isn't impressive at all or UC4 is some ugly as dogshit game. lol

Someone must be insane. "Something is wrong with you because your opinion is different than mine" "Are you trolling?"

It's very silly.

cackhyena

Some of you really struggle with the opinions of others. They're only insane because you don't agree. Nobody is saying what ND have done isn't impressive at all or UC4 is some ugly as dogshit game. lol

Someone must be insane. "Something is wrong with you because your opinion is different than mine" "Are you trolling?"

It's very silly.
Hey I only called that one guy mental with him comparing this game's npcs to Fable 1's. He is out of his mind.

Paz

It's very silly.

You're not talking about subjective things, like "I find X more appealing" would be fine.

Your comment was just straight up nonsense.

Never thought I'd see the day that someone would argue Mad Max being more impressive than Uncharted 4. There's not a single thing "impressive" about Mad Max except for those nifty storms that come rolling in. And Just Cause 3? What's impressive about that beyond the destruction? It's colorful but it seems pretty dated.

...but something like The Witcher 3? Not even close. It's far too uneven. It can look fantastic in select scenes but the package as a whole is just unbalanced. Animation never looks great to me, transitions are poor, water isn't great, some of the foliage is ugly, etc.

But.... but....

No, I agree. It is pretty inconsistent. Certainly doesn't have the best foliage, water, or lighting... but damn if the whole package doesn't come together to create a pretty damn immersive world. And every scene is just sooooo full of detail that you tend to look past all those minor insufficiencies :p

Or maybe not. But I still think it's one of the most impressive games to date. Especially open world.

You're not talking about subjective things, like "I find X more appealing" would be fine.

You're comment was just straight up nonsense.

Everything I said was subjective. Just because I find those games to be more impressive doesn't mean you have to agree. Like I told the other guy, it's a little redundant that myself, you, and others would have to state "in my opinion" everytime they post something on the internet. Of course it's my opinion. Nothing anyone is going to say about Uncharted 4 or other linear games is going to change that. No more than I change your mind on what you feel is more impressive.

Paz

Everything I said was subjective. Just because I find those games to be more impressive doesn't mean you have to agree. Like I told the other guy, it's a little redundant that myself, you, and others would have to state "in my opinion" everytime they post something on the internet. Of course it's my opinion. Nothing anyone is going to say about Uncharted 4 or other linear games is going to change that. No more than I change your mind on what you feel is more impressive.

Which is why I pointed out that your post was a great example of how important expertise is, and why we should value some opinions more than others.

Which is why I pointed out that your post was a great example of how important expertise is, and why we should value some opinions more than others.

People will value the opinions of those that agree with them. That's really how it works. As consumers, we often seek out those that will justify our purchase/favorite games. "This guy over here...he's not credible at all because opinion isn't the same as my own"

Even those that you find to be experts, they too are still just giving their opinion.

Paz

People will value the opinions of those that agree with them. That's really how it works. As consumers, we often seek out those that will justify our purchase/favorite games. "This guy over here...he's not credible at all because opinion isn't the same as my own"

Even those that you find to be experts, they too are still just giving their opinion.

I think this is just going to circle around forever at this point, so I'll end by stating I flat out reject the idea that every persons opinion is valid on a subject, especially something with technical roots.

I'm also not looking at this as a consumer seeking confirmation bias, but a creator admiring others amazing works.

DOWN

Banned
The article that goes with this video thankfully acknowledge the flat lighting, lower draw, and cartoon colors of the downgrade that GAF refused to acknowledge

CHC

The article that goes with this video thankfully acknowledge the flat lighting, lower draw, and cartoon colors of the downgrade that GAF refused to acknowledge

Oh yeah we refused to acknowledge it so hard that there was only a 161 page thread dedicated to that topic exclusively. It's more like people are just over it. The game still looks good, and on top of that, it's incredible regardless of its visuals. Just don't see the point of getting wound up about some trailer from 3 years ago.... any good faith CDPR might have lost because of the graphical changes they have more than earned back with the post-launch treatment of the game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I can't wait to see what the new area looks like on PS4. I hope that performance isn't worse. I wish my PC would manage 1080p 60fps so I could play on that instead.

thelastword

Banned
But in the witcher 3 screenshot , the textures are obviously in much higher quality so i'm really unsure what you mean. There isn't a single aspect graphically where witcher 3 doesn't destroy OG fable.
First of all, I never said that Fable was more impressive than Witcher 3. I said certain aspects of Fable's animations and character art were on par and reminded me of the old game. Witcher's 3 animations and general npc animations are awful, even the main character. Of course the Witcher 3 is more impressive graphically. Reading some of these comments you would think that I made a Fable vs Witcher 3 thread, but my post was mainly about how much better the 2014 game looked over the final release, which is also a comparison made in the vid linked in the OT. Also, Witcher 3's quality is not that impressive for an open world game, poor animations, poor textures, poor foliage against some of the better looking open world games out there....

It should also be noted that Witcher 3's quality varies per platform. It is already not that impressive on Ultra, and many of it's issues have not been addressed for the blood and wine release, like the pop-in issue, no improvements to animations, just some cosmetic sharpening filter with warmer colors. Reducing draw calls to speed up performance is something they should have done on consoles in the first place.....but the problem has always been how subpar so many aspects of the game is on consoles; animations, loadtimes, med to below-low settings on consoles, texture streaming issues and yet the game still can't hold a locked 30fps, if it looked like the 2014 demo, I could understand such framerates, but certainly not the way it looks here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I could agree that Batman stacks up well against Uncharted 4 in a number of ways. It was an insanely good looking game.

I would normally disagree but I think AK definitely beats Uncharted 4 in post processing. I really don't like the look of the motion blur implementation in Uncharted. The camera blur in particular seems lower quality than ND's PS3 games.

DOWN

Banned
Oh yeah we refused to acknowledge it so hard that there was only a 161 page thread dedicated to that topic exclusively. It's more like people are just over it. The game still looks good, and on top of that, it's incredible regardless of its visuals. Just don't see the point of getting wound up about some trailer from 3 years ago.... any good faith CDPR might have lost because of the graphical changes they have more than earned back with the post-launch treatment of the game.

Every page before launch was an argument about how the final game would not have any downgrades like CDPR promised. Even afterward, many continued on saying it is just a stylistic difference.

i cant comment on the city/textures aspect because i didnt play witcher 3 far enough to get there. im not seeing any improvement to the flora tho. different art assets but not any better. the visuals still exhibit the same characteristics that i found very unappealing in the original

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
First of all, I never said that Fable was more impressive than Witcher 3. I said certain aspects of Fable's animations and character art were on par and reminded me of the old game. Witcher's 3 animations and general npc animations are awful, even the main character.
And ffs I straight up posted videos of fable, it's character animation is nowhere near comparable to the W3, at all. Take the L instead of doubling down on it. Period.

Of course the Witcher 3 is more impressive graphically. Reading some of these comments you would think that I made a Fable vs Witcher 3 thread, but my post was mainly about how much better the 2014 game looked over the final release, which is also a comparison made in the vid linked in the OT. Also, Witcher 3's quality is not that impressive for an open world game, poor animations, poor textures, poor foliage against some of the better looking open world games out there....
Check the screenshots in the pc screenshot thread or even in this thread. And please give me a list of games this large with this much consistency.

It should also be noted that Witcher 3's quality varies per platform. It is already not that impressive on Ultra
Lol yes it is.

and many of it's issues have not been addressed for the blood and wine release, like the pop-in issue,
Draw distance specifically has been addressed in this expansion.

no improvements to animations, just some cosmetic sharpening filter with warmer colors
And completely new foliage assets but fuck the idea of actual facts right? You never use facts in DF threads, I mean seriously dude.

Why are we still responding to him? He's either trolling or somehow actually serious... in which case nobody is going to change his mind.

The new foliage assets look decent but still lacking any kind of specular highlights which makes it look kinda flat in all lighting. The Witcher 3 gets a pass by throwing just tons of it in every scene with a good deal of variety, which is still pretty impressive.

Uncharted 4 isn't as impressive as some of the other games mentioned. Witcher 3, GTA V, AC Syndicate, AC Unity, Mad Max, Just Cause 3, are all more impressive. A few of them also look better too. Honestly, FFXV looks to impress as well. Looks better and is more impressive on an overall technical level. Rise of The Tomb Raider(PC Version)has moments that look better than Uncharted 4, but those are linear games. DOOM looks amazing for a linear title. id Tech6 is a beast!

None of those games look anywhere near as solid and consistent as Uncharted 4 does unless you're running them on top of the line PC hardware, and even then, I'd still be inclined to give U4 nods over everything you listed except for AC Unity and Witcher 3 tweaked beyond its default max settings.

And I really wish people would stop comparing Rise of the Tomb Raider to Uncharted 4. I've played through that game maxed out on PC and I think all these wanton comparisons to U4 are fucking nuts, U4 just slaughters it in most respects.

actually serious... in which case nobody is going to change his mind
ladies and gentlemen, TheLastWord.

None of those games look anywhere near as solid and consistent as Uncharted 4 does unless you're running them on top of the line PC hardware, and even then, I'd still be inclined to give U4 nods over everything you listed except for AC Unity and Witcher 3 tweaked beyond its default max settings.

And I really wish people would stop comparing Rise of the Tomb Raider to Uncharted 4. I've played through that game maxed out on PC and I think all these wanton comparisons to U4 are fucking nuts, U4 just slaughters it in most respects.

ladies and gentlemen, TheLastWord.

So much yes wrt tomb raider. As soon as i got to soviet installation i was like wtf eww. It was mostly downhill from there with the ocasional 10 minutes spent in a tomb sometimes looking nice

So much yes wrt tomb raider. As soon as i got to soviet installation i was like wtf eww. It was mostly downhill from there with the ocasional 10 minutes spent in a tomb sometimes looking nice

It's a great looking game, most of the time, but yeah, I don't understand how people just casually drop its name in every single last graphics thread (not to mention Uncharted thread) like it even ranks.

First of all, I never said that Fable was more impressive than Witcher 3. I said certain aspects of Fable's animations and character art were on par and reminded me of the old game. Witcher's 3 animations and general npc animations are awful, even the main character. Of course the Witcher 3 is more impressive graphically. Reading some of these comments you would think that I made a Fable vs Witcher 3 thread, but my post was mainly about how much better the 2014 game looked over the final release, which is also a comparison made in the vid linked in the OT. Also, Witcher 3's quality is not that impressive for an open world game, poor animations, poor textures, poor foliage against some of the better looking open world games out there....

It should also be noted that Witcher 3's quality varies per platform. It is already not that impressive on Ultra, and many of it's issues have not been addressed for the blood and wine release, like the pop-in issue, no improvements to animations, just some cosmetic sharpening filter with warmer colors. Reducing draw calls to speed up performance is something they should have done on consoles in the first place.....but the problem has always been how subpar so many aspects of the game is on consoles; animations, loadtimes, med to below-low settings on consoles, texture streaming issues and yet the game still can't hold a locked 30fps, if it looked like the 2014 demo, I could understand such framerates, but certainly not the way it looks here.

WHAT ?

I'm sorry but i want to know what open world game you've played that magically make the witcher 3 animations and texture be "awefull" or "poor" especially on ultra settings because what you're saying IMO and with all the respect you have to your own opinion , complete nonsense and total bullsh*t

I only have PC shots of Rise of the Tomb Raider but.... here's an outdoor area.

24780650305_f3402b684c_o.jpg

Just... such a bland environment. They didn't even try to make that visually interesting.

That said, it still does look incredible at times.

Good use of tessellation

Her character model

HIgh quality.... assets

Environments like this

And some stellar art direction

Indoor areas tend to look mind-boggling. Outdoor areas are kinda bland\bad. Pretty inconsistent. Uncharted games are a great example of what you can produce with tons of time and budget.

Top Bottom