• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Grounded Tech Review - Problems on PS5 and Switch - All Consoles Tested

GHG

Glad to see PS5's resolution is so low. Series S|X players feeling first class now.

Bebe Rexha Its About Damn Time GIF by 2022 MTV Video Music Awards

Darsxx82

There is little to say other than that it is an example that a better or worse port of a game will always depend on many factors.

- The Studio that makes the port.
- The effort and means put into the port.
- Whether or not the original version (XBSeries) is updated as well.

What is clear is that MS seems to leave the entire port issue up to each Studio and does not scrutinize the final result.

That said, I have no doubt that they will release patches with improvements.

Ozriel

M$FT
What a mess. All systems are poor, but all in different ways.

Seems quite solid on the Series X.
They should really get on patching the PS5 version. Those performance issues aren’t a true reflection of the console’s power.

Why is the Switch version so bad?

During the Early access phase, It was 30fps at 900p on Xbox One, with framerate struggles.

No surprise it’s running this poorly on a system that’s less than half as powerful.

The switch is just old at this point. This should have been held back like Sea of Thieves for a Switch 2 release.

onQ123

It seems you guys have been having a discord meeting about me lol

Message: I will make a fool of each and every one of you lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The funny thing, it's one game that performs poorly vs. the rest.

What is this real-time revisionist history :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hi-Fi Rush, the only difference is shadow sharpness, otherwise both perform identically
Pentiment: Both have 120hz mode, SX actually runs better (place which drops to 90 fps on PS5 runs at 120 fps on SX)
Sea of Thieves: Same performance, shadow sharpness minor LoD difference in PS5's favor
Grounded: This game has a big gap in both resolution (1215p vs 2160p) and average performance (40's-50's vs locked 60) in SX's favor

Message: I will make a fool of each and every one of you lol

It's not going to take that long

Earlier you said that different games will hit bottlenecks on either console differently, which was a pretty sane statement. Now you're out for blood 🤔

Last edited:

onQ123

Hi-Fi Rush, the only difference is shadow sharpness, otherwise both perform identically
Pentiment: Both have 120hz mode, SX actually runs better (place which drops to 90 fps on PS5 runs at 120 fps on SX)
Sea of Thieves: Same performance, shadow sharpness minor LoD difference in PS5's favor
Grounded: This game has a big gap in both resolution (1215p vs 2160p) and average performance (40's-50's vs locked 60) in SX's favor

Earlier you said that different games will hit bottlenecks on either console differently, which was a pretty sane statement. Now you're out for blood 🤔
Out for blood? Lol nope just letting it be known that every time people grouped up to come for me I got the last laugh lol

Topher

Gold Member

🤔

How is what he said "revisionist history"? He is saying pretty much what you are saying. This one game is performing poorly compared to the others.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

adamsapple

How is what he said "revisionist history"? He is saying pretty much what you are saying. This one game is performing poorly compared to the others.

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

If that's what he meant then it's misreading on my part.

If he meant the other game(s) performed poorly on Xbox because of minor things like sharper shadows, that's the revisionist part.

Out for blood? Lol nope just letting it be known that every time people grouped up to come for me I got the last laugh lol

Calm down Dr. Evil.

Last edited:

onQ123

If that's what he meant then it's misreading on my part.

If he meant the other game(s) performed poorly on Xbox because of minor things like sharper shadows, that's the revisionist part.

Calm down Dr. Evil.
Just remember to stay Grounded there are bigger hills to die on

adamsapple

Just remember to stay Grounded there are bigger hills to die on

My friend, no one is out to get you, relax lol.

You bring it on yourself with your constant posts / topics where you quote yourself from nearly half a decade ago to gloat over others.

Last edited:

onQ123

My friend, no one is out to get you, relax lol.

You bring it on yourself with your constant posts / topics where you quote yourself from nearly half a decade ago to gloat over others.
Huh? Out to get me?

But anyway if people wasn't hive minded and attacking my original post I wouldn't have to retrieve my quotes from locked threads

skit_data

Would've been smarter if they just made the PS5 version good and the Series X version simply better, now its just obvious it's a shitty port.

Belthazar

360p is rough... I'd imagine they'd go that low to try and achieve a good/stable framerate at all costs, but couldn't even manage to lock it at 30. Maybe they would've been better off just waiting for Switch 2.

360p is the lowest DRS goes. It doesn't always run at 360p.
DRS between 360p and 720p is pretty inexcusable. 360p is 1/4 the pixel count of 720p. The fact it had to even go that low to reach playable state is very indicative of poor optimization and switch's underpowered hardware.

Shin-Ra

I'm playing the Switch version and I think that it is a pretty good port given the Switch hardware. fps seems consistent as graphics do too idk where these alleged 'problems' are coming from honestly. 🤷🏻‍♂️
With uneven frame pacing (and potentially uneven camera update layered on top), motion should look consistently inconsistent.

Playing portable, assuming you don’t hold the screen closer to your eyes to compensate, can reduce the perception of poor motion but it’s not something anyone should be accepting of.

The funny thing, it's one game that performs poorly vs. the rest.

It's like some people have a bad memory or something and forgot the other games performed better.

If anything, this is a outright poor optimized port.
The real funny thing is how PS fans weren't even the ones looking forward to the DF comparisons. Before launch, Xbox fanboys were salivating in anticipation for the DF vids, because they thought the XSX was going to wipe the floor with PS5. Then, when the comparisons started being in the PS5's favor, with a few dead even, they acted like they didn't care at all about comparisons and PS fans were focusing on them WAY too much. Now, when we get some that are in favor of XSX, they act like it's some big gotcha moment.

Quite the revisionist history. There's only one side that's been had. And it sure as hell isn't the side who hasn't started going 3rd party.

Gambit2483

360p is rough... I'd imagine they'd go that low to try and achieve a good/stable framerate at all costs, but couldn't even manage to lock it at 30. Maybe they would've been better off just waiting for Switch 2.

Feels like Nintendo really screwed a lot of developers plans for Switch 2 with these supposed internal delays. Devs are either forced to release on the decrepit Switch hardware or take the financial loss and gamble by sitting on the Switch 2 version for God knows how long. Can't imagine too many devs/pubs are happy with Nintendo at this point.

Top Bottom