• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry -- Halo 4 Tech Analysis

Tonight I'll be posting the terrains high frequency mapping. The ground, cliffs, etc all look so detailed.

Going to look so good to show off.

O forgot that the alpha transparencies are rendering at super high resolutions. The fire from the pipe in Adrift is the most fluid looking fire I've seen. No pixelation what so ever. Pics incoming tonight to show it off. Only if I can make a gif of it. Freaking rediculous.

I don't understand why people feel the need downplay a game to champion another. Both Halo 4 and Killzone 3 look amazing.
Pretty much. The point of the DF article is that they're all in the same upper tier, achieving a particular vision through technical excellence given aging hardware.

The more top tier games for us, the better.

Pretty much. The point of the DF article is that they're all in the same upper tier, achieving a particular vision through technical excellence given aging hardware.

The more top tier games for us, the better.

Exactly. That is all the is needed to be said.

We now have HALO 4 to add to the few, the proud, the elite of graphical games.

Next year is going to be amazing to see where next gen takes us from here.

Raide

Exactly. That is all the is needed to be said.

We now have HALO 4 to add to the few, the proud, the elite of graphical games.

Next year is going to be amazing to see where next gen takes us from here.

What 343 pushed from the 360 is amazing. It will be even more amazing to see them handle next-gen tech and see what else they can come up with without 360 limitations.

Ein Bear

Speaking of 343 Industries name, anyone else think it's a bit of a weird choice? I know there's Guilty Spark, but the whole thing is built around Bungie's big '7' in-joke. It's a Bungie reference essentially, not a Halo one. Seems odd.

Yes I'm bitching about company names :p

Durante

IQ is mostly just a product of GPU bandwidth though. If you have cycles/memory to spare for larger buffers and more AA/post passes of course the image is going to improve, but its hardly technically impressive as its mostly a product of hardware capacity and less of the coders' ingenuity.
I never claimed it's technically impressive. But that doesn't change good IQ being essential to my enjoyment of a game's graphics. I'd much rather have simpler assets and lighting or less post-processing if I could in turn get better IQ.

Speaking of 343 Industries name, anyone else think it's a bit of a weird choice? I know there's Guilty Spark, but the whole thing is built around Bungie's big '7' in-joke. It's a Bungie thing, not a Halo thing.

Yes I'm bitching about company names :p

Well, it is about Halo, not only Bungie.

Corrine Yu (and 343 people) + DX11 hardware = ?

Demon Ice

Banned
Jackal shields are dynamic light sources as well as every plasma bullet.

No they aren't. At least not from the videos and screens I've seen. The shields might be but the plasma shots aren't. That was present in Reach. They had to drop that and SSAO.

Halo 4 is a fantastic looking game but you don't need to make things up to make it sound better than it is. There were sacrifices that had to be made.

No they aren't. At least not from the videos and screens I've seen. The shields might be but the plasma shots aren't. That was present in Reach. They had to drop that and SSAO.

Halo 4 is a fantastic looking game but you don't need to make things up to make it sound better than it is. There were sacrifices that had to be made.

Plasma bullets are dynamic light sources. You would see if you played the first mission immediately.

The deffered lighting has not been droped. Where are you getting this from?

If you play the game you can clearly see the plasma bullets light up the surroundings. Just drive a ghost and shoot. You see the blue plasma bullets travel over the ground and light up the surroundins.

This game has so much more dynamic lights then in Reach which I thought was impossible.
Jackal shields are dynamic light sources as well as every plasma bullet.
But the inclusion of lights on weapons allow them to illuminate anything around them. So I was up on a wall and saw the red lights on the Promethean weapons light up the surroundings including Chief himself. AMAZING
100MEDIA_IMAG0202.jpg

And the Promethean Kinghts emit light unto anything it surrounds itself with. Watch as Master Chief gets illuminated by the blades of the Promethean weapon.
Soo good.
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Halo+4...ne+else+looking+forward+to_6b55e5_4126655.gif

O I see you don't have the game and haven't played it.

So before you go around diclaiming anyones analyzations, make sure you have actually researched and played/tested the game.

mmmkay?

Waaghals

I don't undertand Halo 4's use of dynamic lights. There does not seem to be any from plasma bolts. I thought that was a technical limitation, but playing the game it seems to be pretty generous with dynamic lights otherwise.

Just checked; Several of the forerunner weapons emit lift upon impact, and the suppressor bolts also emit light during travel.

The effect is subtle though.

I don't undertand Halo 4's use of dynamic lights. There does not seem to be any from plasma bolts. I thought that was a technical limitation, but playing the game it seems to be pretty generous with dynamic lights otherwise.

LOL There are dynamic light sources from plasma bullets.

Do you have the game?

Just grab a plasma pistol and crouch. Then shoot horizontally along the floor or wall.

Watch the plasma bullet light up the surfaces.

Majanew

Banned
I'm messing around in Mission 1 just to see dynamic lights on weapons, and I don't see the Covenant weapons lighting up the ground when fired.

Edit: Ok, I saw some lol. They had to be really close to the ground to light it up it seemed. Would be easier to see if Theater was around. Was almost hard to tell with the glow around the rounds as they travel.

Waaghals

Do you have the game?

Just grab a plasma pistol and crouch. Then shoot horizontally along the floor or wall.

Just did in forge on adrift. The effect is there, but holy hell is it hard to spot.

Apath

one thing I do think is a shame, personally, is that Halo 4 does not feature the S3D support that UC3 and KZ3 have. especially since it has a split screen mode already and a lot of the required work has therefor already been done. Anniversary was really good fun in 3D, even if the resolution took a big hit.
Yeah, Halo 4 not supporting 3D is by far my biggest disappointment with the game. As you said, Halo Anniversary has it--I figured Halo 4 would then have it too. At the very least to match Sony's heavy push for 3D.

Waaghals

Well plasma bullets are small.

Try the overcharge plasma shot. Way bigger. :)

Oh, sure! But I was specifically looking for the light effect with the smaller projectiles - I already take it for granted that larger things including explosions and overcharged bolts emit light.

Do you have the game?

Yes, Halo 4 has dynamic light sources from plasma bullets, but Anniversary did it better imo. Looked more impressive.

KageMaru

Tonight I'll be posting the terrains high frequency mapping. The ground, cliffs, etc all look so detailed.

Going to look so good to show off.

Why? Detail maps are nothing special and in many cases are used to cover up low res textures. Reach used them as well.

Just did in forge on adrift. The effect is there, but holy hell is it hard to spot.

Yeah they reduced the radius of the lighting has been reduced, which is probably why some think deferred lighting was dropped. I know I thought the same after watching one of the earlier videos.

I agree that they are quite similar, but I think the IQ in both is lackluster. Good for console games of this level of complexity I guess, but on an absolute scale? Even on consoles, games like Forza Horizon are incredibly far ahead in terms of IQ.

Yeah, pretty much. And that's when looking at them as tiny windows on the screen, not scaled to full size.

Just looking at this:
I can't see anything other than the aliasing.
Forza Horizon is incredibly far ahead of anything on consoles in terms of IQ, that I've played anyway (God of War 3 being a big one that I haven't, which gets IQ praise, but i'm sure that's a pure MLAA solution). that doesn't mean every other game looks bad though.

4xAA + FXAA is a combination I've enjoyed on a number of PC games. it's awesome to see it on a native console game. Halo 4 is about as clean as any other FXAA game. personally I wouldn't call that lackluster, but I understand who I'm talking to ;)

Shikoro

Oh boy, how did I miss this thread. :D

For start, I'm baffled as to how people are saying some of the weirdest things in this thread, one of them being that KZ2/3's AI is nothing compared to Halo's. I'll be honest, I don't own a 360 and I haven't played Halo 4, however, judging by the videos I really don't see why it's getting so much praise. I'm probably missing something so I'd like to be pointed in the right direction, if there is any.

Second, the textures. Don't know if it's the pictures, but from what I can see, they are mostly flat. KZ3, if I remember correctly (should fire it up again to be more sure) has a whole lot of bump mapped ones, and they are also fairly high resolution. Texture wise, they don't compare, in my opinion. Draw distance wise, it looks like Halo is the better one here since the objects in the distance are pretty clear while KZ3 has a rather pronounced distance fogging.

Lighting and shadows are a totally different matter and I would have to write a few more paragraphs to express my opinion, but I think that KZ2 blows everything out of the water in this segment. :D

Overall, I prefer how KZ2/3 look like, but nonetheless, Halo 4 is indeed a beautiful game, just like Gears, Uncharted and God of War. No need to fight about stuff like this. :)

For start, I'm baffled as to how people are saying some of the weirdest things in this thread, one of them being that KZ2/3's AI is nothing compared to Halo's. I'll be honest, I don't own a 360 and I haven't played Halo 4, however, judging by the videos I really don't see why it's getting so much praise. I'm probably missing something so I'd like to be pointed in the right direction, if there is any.

Second, the textures. Don't know if it's the pictures, but from what I can see, they are mostly flat. KZ3, if I remember correctly (should fire it up again to be more sure) has a whole lot of bump mapped ones, and they are also fairly high resolution. Texture wise, they don't compare, in my opinion. Draw distance wise, it looks like Halo is the better one here since the objects in the distance are pretty clear while KZ3 has a rather pronounced distance fogging.

Lighting and shadows are a totally different matter and I would have to write a few more paragraphs to express my opinion, but I think that KZ2 blows everything out of the water in this segment. :D

Overall, I prefer how KZ2/3 look like, but nonetheless, Halo 4 is indeed a beautiful game, just like Gears, Uncharted and God of War. No need to fight about stuff like this. :)

You can't judge a game only looking pics.

Reiko

Banned
OK, this one bugged me a bit simply because I think it's completely ridiculous to suggest that Lords of Shadow is anywhere near matching God of War 3.

Lords of Shadow has two distinct issues that are not present in GoW3 - Tons of loading points and a very VERY low framerate

God of War 3 is fully streamed from beginning to end with each environment seamlessly feeding into the next. Every stage in Lords of Shadow is divided by a lengthy loading screen and each area is relatively small as a result. That boss you posted takes place within a very small stage, for instance.

More importantly we have the framerate. God of War 3 averages between 45-60 fps so, while there is a bit of judder present, the framerate generally stays very high. Lords of Shadow, on the other hand, spends most of its time under 30 fps and sometimes dips into the teens. It's an extremely choppy game despite its limited level size.

It LOOKS fantastic, but it has way too many severe technical issues. God of War 3 is on a whole different level.

I already said the only thing holding LOS back is framerate and IQ. But on a technical level graphically, it IS comparable.

derFeef

Hm? :)

Reiko

Banned

Helghast?

Lighting and shadows? Wasn't KZ2 using alot of baked shadows like Gears 3? Crysis 2 on console would be a better measuring stick for shadows.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well it looks so much better directly on a HDTV then a low res camera phone pic.
What kind of phone are you using? Are you sure your display is adjusted properly? Those images are ultra jaggy almost as if you have the sharpness on your TV cranked.

Using an iPhone 5, I got this (which still isn't great but at least it's clean)

c3f6f8e6a0d5a55ce0ac7e9810995294559534a7.JPG

vs this...

77970bacd7dfc59a873d7b8e5e131dd5.jpg

Just checked; Several of the forerunner weapons emit lift upon impact, and the suppressor bolts also emit light during travel.

The effect is subtle though.

The radius on plasma bolt lighting seems to have been reduced significantly when compared to Reach.

dark10x

I already said the only thing holding LOS back is framerate and IQ. But on a technical level graphically, it IS comparable.
No, it's not. When image quality and framerate suffer so dramatically to the point that it hurts play-ability, that is not success. That means they attempted to display more than the engine could handle smoothly.

You also ignored the loading, which is a huge deal.

gaming_noob

There's some strange light leaks in Halo 4...especially inthe darker areas.. When you spin your camera around really quick you'll catch bright light from walls, floors, etc for a split second.

I'm also noticing bodies disappearing in front of me. The game is really maxing the 360 out.

Reiko

Banned
No, it's not. When image quality and framerate suffer so dramatically to the point that it hurts play-ability, that is not success. That means they attempted to display more than the engine could handle smoothly.

You also ignored the loading, which is a huge deal.

Well the team is certainly not as talented as Santa Monica Studios.

But if the team can get their shit together for the sequel, it would be no surprise if it's a stunner.

dark10x

But if the team can get their shit together for the sequel, it would be no surprise if it's a stunner.
I certainly hope so. The game was a crushing disappointment for me and its severe technical failings are one of the main reasons why.

Shikoro

Wow, I knew that people were going to point that stuff out, and say nothing else even though I asked for some evidence. If you look at any KZ2/3 video, you can see the AI in work.

But yeah, stupid me for expecting an intelligent response from you. I'm out.

szaromir

Banned

Luckily LOS2 should run at healthy 60 fps on any gaming PC unless they mess up the port.

Shtof

So is Halo 4 actually looking better than Rage and Crysis 2 on the 360? Because those two are just mindblowing, not exactly Killzone 3 level but way more than I expected from the 360.

dark10x

Luckily LOS2 should run at healthy 60 fps on any gaming PC unless they mess up the port.
I'm hoping they solve their issues with segmented levels as well because, if they do not, then the PC version will also suffer from those consequences.

Wow, I knew that people were going to point that stuff out, and say nothing else even though I asked for some evidence. If you look at any KZ2/3 video, you can see the AI in work.

But yeah, stupid me for expecting an intelligent response from you. I'm out.

How can you judge the AI with a video? You need to play the game.

LastNac

What kind of phone are you using? Are you sure your display is adjusted properly? Those images are ultra jaggy almost as if you have the sharpness on your TV cranked.

Using an iPhone 5, I got this (which still isn't great but at least it's clean)

c3f6f8e6a0d5a55ce0ac7e9810995294559534a7.JPG

vs this...

77970bacd7dfc59a873d7b8e5e131dd5.jpg

TV or monitor?

I'm going to grab many screenshots of the awesome textures found in Halo 4 later this evening. This game is so beautiful. Sublime art designs really make all the difference.

Still, somehow console "warriors" have to down play, as usual. You know the discussion has turned into stupidity Olympics when all the arguments are concentrated around minor technicalities (see nit-picking). So the 360 gets a top tier game that rivals the best of PS3. So what?

This whole comfy zone you guys need to clear up around your beloved consoles baffle me. Why is it so hard to simply enjoy a visually stunning game? Hell, Halo 4 isn't only beautiful. The campaign is so much fun. Just enjoy the game and be happy such a good game was made for you to play.

J-Rzez

Certainly a good looking game, and quite the jump between this and bungie's efforts. Glad to see someone is putting effort into making the 360 show what it's got.

Top Bottom