• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AMD Should make an APU based on Zen+480, which could really bring down the entry point for VR. You could probably build a little SFF PC for $500 which was VR capable.

Skux

Curious to see their cooling setup.

PS4 is quite notorious for running rather hot and loud so I hope they are putting in some extra work into making this thing both powerful, yet silent and compact.

Basically, i'm asking them to do the impossible I guess. I just don't want an Xbox One like VCR unit in my shelf.

When your TDP is 150W you can get away with some crazy form factors.

It's good, but not as aggressive (in regards performance) to the PC RX480 (which does 5.5Tflops).

But the heat will be an issue for the PS4K (especially if it's using a smaller chassis).

All AMD chips run hot, especially against competitors.

Heat will be a concern for anyone using there hardware in their systems.

Aceofspades

Banned
Awesome ... So when MS try to play the "most powerful" game , they can upclock the chips for higher performance.

Sony is easily in a comfortable place this gen, this won't change even if Scorpio is more powerful. MS needs to release scorpio with a significant power gap to neo (100% or higher) to make any meaningful differences especially if they are going to release later.

The thing is both machines will be tied to the base models, so I doubt devs are gonna utilize this extra power to the fullest.

Awesome ... So when MS try to play the "most powerful" game , they can upclock the chips for higher performance.

That's not going to happen.

The thing is both machines will be tied to the base models, so I doubt devs are gonna utilize this extra power to the fullest.

Having an extra 1.5 TFLOPS (or more if Microsoft go with the Vega chip) is going to be a noticable difference.

DavidDesu

Sony please up the clocks on Neo to the 480 PC design. 5.5 TF Sony! I guess I should go back to dreaming.

One the real, this is a very nice card.

While it's likely that Neo is locked down already I do wonder, does this give Sony some wiggle room that they can add in better cooling and allow the clock speeds to be upped? Is that kind of last minute design change even remotely possible?

I think Sony are in a decent position. They have the mindshare and could have a whole year headstart against what Microsoft's doing, but if they can make Neo more competitive with what's to come for a little extra cost at this point in time then surely that will really help them further down the road?

p3n

Makes sense, especially considering the focus of "affordable good VR" in Raja Koduri's interviews when the RX480 was revealed. Maybe he wasn't talking strictly about PC-VR.

Shtof

Sony is easily in a comfortable place this gen, this won't change even if Scorpio is more powerful. MS needs to release scorpio with a significant power gap to neo (100% or higher) to make any meaningful differences especially if they are going to release later.

At this rate, with Sony releasing Neo later this year, and Scorpio being rumored for Fall 2017 MS will already be late as Sony will simply release a PS8k 2018/19.

And I expect Sony to stress that this is not a new platform or new generation. They will simply talk of this as an upgrade to their existing ecosystem.

Averon

The last rumor I heard was that Sony was still deciding on what CPU to go with. Either stick with the Jaguars or go with another CPU (presumably Zen) and charge a higher price tag.

Then balance it out. The logic behind its' supposed design seems rather lopsided and is probably going to lead to more problems.

It's really not that lopsided or bottle-necked as some would suggest.

The Scorpio will likely suit your needs if you want a more balanced system (at a higher cost).

Shtof

Makes sense, especially considering the focus of "affordable good VR" in Raja Koduri's interviews when the RX480 was revealed. Maybe he wasn't talking strictly about PC-VR.

I think most execs/"people responsible for making money" assume that PC-VR won't make money since PC gaming except Steam never really made much money.

911mhz clocked Polaris will not produce a lot of heat.

No. All this was known from the first Neo leak, we just have a PC version of it coming to sale this month for a great price.

Scorpio will be stronger, possibly using larger Vega 10 chip.
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AMD-Vega-10-Polaris-10-Polaris-11-Feature.jpg

Doesn't this guarantee that Scorpio will be more expensive (or operate at a loss), have more power draw, etc? Is that really a good thing? Well, actually I think it is good for options and I suppose they are on the back food and hence the need to differentiate. It will likely be a couple of years until the PS5 releases after the introduction of the Neo.

geordiemp

The last rumor I heard was that Sony was still deciding on what CPU to go with. Either stick with the Jaguars or go with another CPU (presumably Zen) and charge a higher price tag.

Was that the original osirisblack post on GAF or have you heard more ?

That original post did mention Sony were considering a more powerful CPU option - please do it Sony, we need 60 FPS.

4 - 5 TF GPU is enough for 1080, we need more CPU + bandwidth for balance.

That is not how thermal dynamics work. I do agree that Scorpio how powerful or not won't significantly change the landscape this gen.

tzare

it could be fun if both Neo and Scorpio ¡used the same GPU, only Neo going for lower clock to keep temperature down and Scorpio using a standard one, since that would meet the rumoured 5-6 TF

thuway

I have a nagging suspicion Microsoft is not going to use the 480 in their machine. A 480 with a >1.2 ghz clock will be in a humongous box, generate PC levels of heat +, and will shorten lifespans of the machine considerably. Instead I see Micorosft going for a GPU with 8-10 more CUs than the PS4 Neo and keeping the clock rates at more conservative values. No one wants a mass product failure.

But to be 100% honest, if it's true that Sony and Microsoft are using the same part, it would be in Sony's best interest to increase the box size by a 25% and raise the clocks by a similar amount and take it on the chin. It will effectively make the gap small enough that it won't matter any more about "power differences".

Shtof

This whole saga with both the Neo and Scorpio seems like a bunch of controlled leaks.

There are really only two companies making high powered gaming targeted GPUs. If you follow these companies it's not difficult to see what is possible and what is not. No leaks really needed.

geordiemp

it could be fun if both Neo and Scorpio ¡used the same GPU, only Neo going for lower clock to keep temperature down and Scorpio using a standard one, since that would meet the rumoured 5-6 TF

Well, Xb1 case is big enough

thuway

The Xbox One has excellent cooling, and the extra power draw wouldn't be hugely significant.

Your really stretching your conclusions if you think the power draw wouldn't be hugely significant. As a PC gamer, with a 280X that just died, there is a reason consoles dont go for high power draws and clocks. On the PC side, we are notorious for failing GPUs, and the rule of the land is - the greater the heat, the shorter the life span, the mgreater the risk for failure rates.

DieH@rd

Banned

PC VR has a different set of requirements. There games are rendered in 90fps and in higher resolution.

PSVR is content with 1080p60, which puts much less strain on rendering.

jeffram

Then balance it out. The logic behind its' supposed design seems rather lopsided and is probably going to lead to more problems.
It's still supposed to run the same games. higher resolution / faster frame rate / more effects (which is all we would expect to see) don't necessarily require a better cpu.

Averon

Was that the original osirisblack post on GAF or have you heard more ?

That original post did mention Sony were considering a more powerful CPU option - please do it Sony, we need 60 FPS.

4 - 5 TF GPU is enough for 1080, we need more CPU + bandwidth for balance.

Yeah, it was the Osirisblack thread.

Top Bottom