• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Perfomance of Dying Light [PS4 1080p/XO 1080pr]

Turkoop

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

With no chance to look at final code for Dying Light on any platform prior to its US release yesterday, it's safe to say that we're still in the early stages of our full multi-platform analysis - but we have played enough of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions to offer up an initial look at game performance.

Running on Chrome Engine 6, Dying Light represents Techland's first efforts on current-gen hardware, with a focus on a truly open city built from assets designed to appear physically correct within the game's lighting system. Early last year, the developers boasted that they were targeting 1080p60 for both consoles but, this past December they rolled back expectations by admitting that 1080p30 was the final target. Previous Techland titles have exhibited somewhat unstable performance, occasionally running fully unlocked with a lot of screen-tear, so anything resembling a smooth, consistent update with a solid 30fps would represent clear progression from the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuH40zGTwo

Make sure you do not post so much of the article. You have to respect the work being done by DF and linking most of it.

Marlenus

Devs need to sort out this lack of AF, especially if it is enabled on one console and no the other. This is becoming a common enough issue that I wonder if there is an API issue rather than anything else because the hardware should be capable.

AF missing again on PS4. So weird. Also, I never even noticed that the game was sub-1080p on Xbox One. It looks pretty damn clean to me. The tearing is there sometimes for sure, though.

Great game- sure it has some technical issues- but the animations and lighting are really great.

plus that music-amazing.

Im not bitter as I got the game cheap due to the gamestop debacle

Mista

Banned
From what I see its smoother on PS4. Look at the both versions when they're both running

There's some tearing on the XBO version when the character is running :/

bombshell

Not 1080p on Xbox One:

Resolution-wise, there is a subtle difference in image quality between the two versions, with aliasing appearing slightly chunkier on Xbox One in certain situations. We're still working on a final resolution calculation, but we're inclined to believe the PS4 renders at full 1080p, while Xbox One is operating at a reduced 1536x1080 - or something very close to it.

And worse framerate:

However, Xbox One falters a bit when it comes to sustaining its target frame-rate. Within a minute of taking control - in an enclosed area no less - we noted minor tearing along the top portion of the screen, which is rarely a good sign. Thankfully, once we hit the streets, things actually held together reasonably well, with the game holding 30fps most of the time. However, across the overall run of play, it's tangibly worse than PS4, with specific areas of the city and certain sequences operating at a lower level of performance on the Microsoft console.

GavinUK86

This seems to be par for the course at this point.
poxedwm.jpg

The FPS looks good on both consoles. The X1 drops 1-2 frames occasionally, but doesn't seem to be too big of a deal or that frequent in the video.

A pretty good 30 fps.

glaurung

The FPS looks good on both consoles. The X1 drops 1-2 frames occasionally, but doesn't seem to be too big of a deal or that frequent in the video.

A pretty good 30 fps.
It looked like both were dropping frames to an equal extent in that opening bit of the video.

For those that have played the game in person - does it look better than that video in person? I mean... it looks... bad, at least to my eyesight. Kind of murky and disjointed and lacking detail.

Then again, I did not find Dead Island particularly fascinating either.

martino

Foliage seems to be near high setting on pc on the scene seen...xone should have gone to something like medium ( like gta V differences).
ps4 stay at 30 fps all the time...i wonder what is view distance setting.

It looked like both were dropping frames to an equal extent in that opening bit of the video.

For those that have played the game in person - does it look better than that video in person? I mean... it looks... bad, at least to my eyesight. Kind of murky and disjointed and lacking detail.

I think it looks pretty good. The indoor environments seem very detailed and the textures look good. The particle effects look quite nice at times as well.

Foliage seems to be near high setting on pc on the scene seen...xone should have gone to something like medium ( like gta V differences).

Nah. The game seems well optimized for the most part to me.

I guess i'll go with the pc version then :/

Will you not be getting all multiplatform games on PC then?

Seems like Dying Lights performance is around what will be expected this generation. 1080p and 30fps seems to be the norm and to be expected with the spec available on the PS4.

El_Chino

1080pr strikes again. Looks like we're seeing a trend for the Xbox One's resolution.
I'll admit I'm disappointed by Techland not being forward about this before hand and leading everyone to believe it was a dull 1080p on both consoles.

Kezen

Banned
Some game engined play nice with AF, some don't. Maybe theirs has a problem with AF on PS4?

No issues forcing 16xAF on my PC, and no performance hit I can tell. So the game does play well with AF.

We need a detailed comparisson here. Higher than 0?, lower?
I need to take a closer look but it seems higher than the bare minimum (0) at least.

By and large, the experience on PlayStation 4 is a locked 30fps with very minor dips in certain circumstances

That's all I wanted to hear. Thanks! I'm confident in my pre-order now.

And wtf at another game lacking decent AF on PS4? It's not a deal-breaker, but it is damn annoying. Shit looks ugly.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Gents

Consoles will be 10x more powerful next generation but developers will make the same mistakes over and over.

24fps
...please

Salute

KKRT00

Seems like proper performance difference. In case of Techland i would reduce resolution further on Xbone though, i think 900p should eliminate most of those frequent drops, leaving only minor spikes here and there.

Some game engines play nice with AF, some don't. Maybe theirs has a problem with AF on PS4?

Almost all normal engines play well with AF. If not, they have specialized ways of doing AF (AF for virtual texturing at stuff).

The lack of AF in so many PS4 releases at this point is pointing toward either a really really really odd developer preference, an SDK issue???? or a hardware performance problem with AF.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Then again, I did not find Dead Island particularly fascinating either.
Hmmm, it doesn't seem to drop any frames during the first part of the video on PS4 but drops a lot on Xbox One. Watch it again.

What's wrong with the video? At 30fps the XB1 video looks ultra stuttery. 60fps looks fine.
That's odd. The video was encoded at 60 fps, however, and plays best using that setting. That makes it a bit more demanding, however. Some browsers do seem to struggle with these videos, unfortunately.

Top Bottom