• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Perfomance of Dying Light [PS4 1080p/XO 1080pr]

bombshell

It looked like both were dropping frames to an equal extent in that opening bit of the video.

For those that have played the game in person - does it look better than that video in person? I mean... it looks... bad, at least to my eyesight. Kind of murky and disjointed and lacking detail.

Then again, I did not find Dead Island particularly fascinating either.

In the opening? What?

PS4 is dropping no frames in the first 30 seconds, while the Xbox One is constantly in the 25-30 fps range, but it's sort of hard to see because they've placed a DF logo on top of the Xbox One counter lol

omonimo

Banned
In the opening? What?

PS4 is dropping no frames in the first 30 seconds, while the Xbox One is constantly in the 25-30 fps range, but it's sort of hard to see because they've placed a DF logo on top of the Xbox One counter lol
Nice try Leadbetter.

Nzyme32

I guess i'll go with the pc version then :/

I would advise against it, in its current form.

Looking at the video...Yeah icecold was correct this isn't max draw distance, far from it.

Apparently the breaker of the PC version is the draw distance slider, which when reduced can significantly improve framerate. Stranger still is that the difference between higher and lower draw distance settings is very small, and doesn't cause much in the way of ill effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDqVv5xQ5eo

T.O.P

Banned
Will you not be getting all multiplatform games on PC then?

I prefer getting stuff on X1/PS4 tbh (mostly because i resell stuff rather quickly lol)

But since i'm not 100% sure of the game anyway i'll just wait for some Steam sales down the line

I would advise against it, in its current form.

Looking at the video...Yeah icecold was correct this isn't max draw distance, far from it.

yeah, sales it is :/

Seanspeed

Banned
Seems like proper performance difference. In case of Techland i would reduce resolution further on Xbone though, i think 900p should eliminate most of those frequent drops, leaving only minor spikes here and there.
Yea, that tearing aint nice. Resolution drop wouldn't hurt as much, especially since its not running full 1920x1080 in the first place.

KKRT00

In the opening? What?

Turn off annotations on youtube.

--
That's odd. The video was encoded at 60 fps, however, and plays best using that setting. That makes it a bit more demanding, however. Some browsers do seem to struggle with these videos, unfortunately.
Yeah, many DF videos look strange, like slowed down a little in 30hz mode, which is quite odd.

nib95

Banned
The PS4 version appears to have the better resolution and better performance by the sounds of things. Be interesting to see the final break down, and how they compare to the PC version graphically.

Hm, was planning on getting the Xbox One version over PS4 to give me something to play on the console since so many were saying they were identical...looks like PS4 it is.

Theorry

Hmm doesnt sound very optimized this game for every platform.
Bit like Dead Island.

We'll also be taking a look at the PC version of the game, which offers us the ability to scale well beyond the engine's console implementation. First impressions suggest a demanding title that seems to be CPU-limited, making it rather difficult to hit 60fps without dropping the distance slider down a great deal, but we'll have the full story later this week.

I have been very impressed with how this game runs on PS4. The framerate, which I expected to be a mess, is pretty damn solid. It plays very very smooth.

nib95

Banned
I guess that gap is still there makes you wonder what unity devs were up too

Given the game was still a mess on both systems, but heavily co-marketed by Microsoft, and featured as the main title for their heavily price dropped Holiday bundle, it's not too far fetched to imagine the Xbox One version may have had a bit more tender loving care compared to the other versions.

big_z

The PS4 version appears to have the better resolution and better performance by the sounds of things. Be interesting to see the final break down, and how they compare to the PC version graphically.

they say the resolution doesn't make much difference due to all the filters used.
I didn't watch the entire video but it seems like frame rate drops are minor on xbox and only happen during cut scenes. Seems to hold up fine when youre in control. The lack of texture filtering on the ps4 is super shitty. Seems to be a pick your poison situations, slightly smoother overall or slightly more detailed.

RK9039

Apparently the breaker of the PC version is the draw distance slider, which when reduced can significantly improve framerate. Stranger still is that the difference between higher and lower draw distance settings is very small, and doesn't cause much in the way of ill effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDqVv5xQ5eo

Yup this is true. Also high FOV impacts the performance quite a bit.

I currently have a combination where I'm mostly around 60fps, but there's clearly something wrong with CPU optimization.

RedStep

That's not surprising. More surprising it's people who believe to full 1080p possible on xbone.

You post in pretty much every DF thread, so you know very well that plenty of XBO games are "full" 1080p. Or do you have a different definition of "possible" that might make sense of your statement?

I just want to know why the hell the PS4 version of so many games lack AF given how little power it takes to implement. there's got to be a good reason for the lack of it.

Fbh

If I ever get this game then Ps4 it is. It's just a shame about the lack of Anistrophic filtering.

Also, kind of unrelated, I haven't really been following this game. But didn't it have some cool wind effects?. I remember most of the footage I saw allways had some strong wind, it was a bit overused but looked pretty cool...... there doesn't seem to be much in the footage shown here. Is it just that the specific area they recorded has no wind? Or was it taken out of the game?

Glad to see it run pretty well, loved Call of Juarez Bound in blood but I can definitely say it had issues. Someone was saying it has such satisfying feedback that they put it with Condemned, so basically Condemned and Mirror's Edge had a baby and fed it zombies?

Guymelef

People said me XBO had better fr on open world game because the ultra CPU bump.

I wish someone would ask Sony why there is never any AF. They need to fix that.
That's not true, never is a big word.

nib95

Banned
they say the resolution doesn't make much difference due to all the filters used.
I didn't watch the entire video but it seems like frame rate drops are minor on xbox and only happen during cut scenes. Seems to hold up fine when youre in control. The lack of texture filtering on the ps4 is super shitty. Seems to be a pick your poison situations, slightly smoother overall or slightly more detailed.

Doesn't sound like the frame rate inconsistency on the Xbox One version is limited to just cut scenes.

However, Xbox One falters a bit when it comes to sustaining its target frame-rate. Within a minute of taking control - in an enclosed area no less - we noted minor tearing along the top portion of the screen, which is rarely a good sign. Thankfully, once we hit the streets, things actually held together reasonably well, with the game holding 30fps most of the time. However, across the overall run of play, it's tangibly worse than PS4, with specific areas of the city and certain sequences operating at a lower level of performance on the Microsoft console.

In particular there is a grassy area early on in the game that sends the frame-rate under 30fps while simultaneously introducing torn frames. It's consistent enough overall not to dramatically alter playability, but these areas of slowdown are less than ideal and give the impression of a less polished experience.

jayu26

People said me XBO had better fr on open world game because the ultra CPU bump.
Clearly Techland don't know what they are doing. /s

Yeah, if not Sony then someone has tell us what's up with AF. It has become a persistent problem on PS4.

chadskin

Have to say I'm a bit surprised re: framerate. That's a relatively big gap despite MS having a higher CPU clock speed and having freed up the seventh core.

omonimo

Banned
You post in pretty much every DF thread, so you know very well that plenty of XBO games are "full" 1080p. Or do you have a different definition of "possible" that might make sense of your statement?
Plenty with terrible issues most of the times, when multi plat, should be clear from awhile xbone can't handle full 1080p without sacrifice.

Jomjom

Banned
For example, FC4 is a bigger game and it has AF. Keep searching!

Ah I didn't know that. It just seems like every time I read one of these DF analyses the PS4 version of the game is lacking AF. I wonder why they can't do it in every game though. On PC AF barely takes up any resources.

Kinthalis

Banned
I'm enjoying the game a lot n PC, With a 3770k at 4.4 Ghz and a 780ti I get moslty 50-60 FPS maxed, except view distance at 50%.

I think I might restart and play wiht mouse and keybaord though. Doing the parkour stuff on a gamepad is crap.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't sound like the frame rate inconsistency on the Xbox One version is limited to just cut scenes.
It definitely is not. There are plenty of areas where tearing rears its head - particularly at night. The PS4 version is far more consistent overall.

omonimo

Banned
Have to say I'm a bit surprised re: framerate. That's a relatively big gap despite MS having a higher CPU clock speed and having freed up the seventh core.
Oh God this thing. Sorry but ugh. It's not exactly something which will give crazy performance advantages on xbone. It has been explained many times.

nib95

Banned
The AF is disappointing in the PS4 version. I wonder why the lack of it pops up fairly commonly? Toolset issue?

On a side note, but there seems to be some weaker textures in the Xbox One version in a few spots. Most likely the texture loading issue DF mentioned.

DylingLightComparison.jpg~original

DylingLightComparison2.jpg~original

Would love to know whats up with spotty AF on PS4. There has to be a reason.

Maybe its something dumb like the SDK defaulting it to "OFF" and a bunch of devs are super lazy

The AF is disappointing in the PS4 version. I wonder why the lack of it pops up fairly commonly? Toolset issue?

On a side note, DF didn't mention it, but there seems to be some weaker textures in the Xbox One version in a few spots.

3/4 Throughout the experience, we noted textures loading in a bit slower on Xbox One, resulting in situations such as this where both certain object and character textures appear blurry well into a scene.

Texture streaming issues?

On a side note, DF didn't mention it, but there seems to be some weaker textures in the Xbox One version in a few spots.

Jesus those are pretty big differences.

chadskin

Oh God this thing. Sorry but ugh. It's not exactly something which will give crazy performance advantages on xbone. It has been explained many times.

What thing? I'm not saying the XB1 version should run at 60fps due to higher clock speeds and half a core more for compute, just that it's odd that despite all that it actually lacks 3-5 fps behind the PS4.

To be honest I actually thought the PS4 ver was sub-1080p, but it appears it's due to the heavy use of post processing. And believe me there's a lot of it. :)

MDSLKTR

Developers should advertise their open world games as 900p solid30fps on xbone and 1080p not so solid 30fps on ps4 amirite?

I'm enjoying the game a lot n PC, With a 3770k at 4.4 Ghz and a 780ti I get moslty 50-60 FPS maxed, except view distance at 50%.

I think I might restart and play wiht mouse and keybaord though. Doing the parkour stuff on a gamepad is crap.

Jlaw-okay.gif

Top Bottom