• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Project CARS Performance Analysis (PS4/XB1)

Noobcraft

Because some like myself aren't so bothered by the frame drops, and would rather the carnage and fun of 40+ car races. I do think they should have offered a 30fps lock option though, especially for these more strenuous cases.
If only they had 40+ person multiplayer on consoles... That would be incredible.

eso76

Dropping frames is similar performance? FM is king of 60fps on consoles. It never drops. That's not similar performance, it's what is needed in a sim game.

I was looking forward to this game, but after the car list and the constant drops from 60, they've lost a sale. I'm waiting for FM6.

What i said is:
IF you capped the number of opponents to 15 and always raced in the sun (thus matching FM5 features), Project Cars would probably run just as smoothly.

Rock solid framerate in all weather conditions and with such a large grid wasn't going to happen. Too many variables with a heavy impact on performance at play; you need so much headroom to deal with those extreme scenarios, you'd have to make the game look much worse in typical conditions (the majority of time).

We'll see what T10 does with FM6. Not having rain at this point, or even dynamic TOD, would really hurt them but i have a feeling they won't be in AGAIN.

Caddle

Bringing PD into conversation is unfair IMO. Their technical skill is beyond any other racing dev. GT7 will easily blow any other racer out of the water. Hell, GT6 runs at a higher resolution than the majority of games on Xbone including PCars on a 2005 machine, can someone even wrap their heads around that?
Now your full of shit gt6 was a technical mess along with last gen assets. Higher resolution than majority of xbone games, you need to be ran out of this thread with your bullshit.

I've been lurking in the thread for a while but have yet to comment because I wanted to see high quality video. Now that I've seen the 60 fps video on Gamersyde I can definitely say the ghosting is very noticeable on the windshield wiper and is distracting, almost disorienting. The ghosting isn't noticeable on the other cars as the screenshots suggest, at least for me it isn't.

ShamePain

Banned
Now your full of shit gt6 was a technical mess along with last gen assets. Higher resolution than majority of xbone games, you need to be ran out of this thread with your bullshit.

Uhm, GT6 - 1440*1080 = 1555200 pixels
Average Xbone game - 1600*900 = 1440000 pixels.
Can check it for yourself. It's not the most polished experience but then again the ambition is astounding, dynamic lighting/weather, 16 cars on track, volumetric smoke with dynamic shadowing, hell even the backdrops aren't 2D images like in Forza/PCars but actual terrain.

Being fair GT6 runs at 1440x1080 = 1,555,200 pixels
Project Cars on XB1 runs 1600x900? = 1,440,000 pixels

So it was pushing more than this, admittedly not greatly, but still more and on VERY old hardware

Beaten

Kinthalis

Banned
Tried the game on PC last night. Definitely a game for a wheel. Gamepad had me spinnign out of control all over the palce. There's just not enough nuance and accuracy ona gamepad's triggers and analog stick.

Still, the game looks gorgeous. I was running on ultra settings with SMAA at full, getting 60 FPS on my 780ti. Pretty sweet.

The UI is a bit of a emss though. Nto very intuative, and I can't seem to quit the game via gamepad.

Any recommendations on a wheel?

So it was pushing more than this, admittedly not greatly, but still more and on VERY old hardware

Beaten

FYI even Gran Turismo 5, which ran great on PS3, had nearly the same amount of pixels rendered on screen at 1280x1080, or 1,382,400 pixels.

ShamePain

Banned
FYI even Gran Turismo 5, which ran great on PS3, had nearly the same amount of pixels rendered on screen at 1280x1080, or 1,382,400 pixels.

Yeah, people don't give PD enough credit, despite all the shortcomings in game design, from the technical point of view GT has always been ahead of the pack, on top of pushing a resolution that's isn't uncommon on currentgen at 60fps (with drops, but still) on a system with 256mb of VRAM and a crappy GPU they were also pushing some things other devs like T10/SMS didn't even dare to pursue like dynamic lighting/weather, 16 car grids, animated pitstops and so on. I think right now people underestimate just how ambitious a PS4 GT might be, given what they've achieved on PS3 and now having a straight forward architecture with 10 times better specs at their disposal. Hell, even if they just made a lazy port of GT6 it would easily compete with Forza5/PCars from the graphics perspective. We ain't seen shit yet.

Fredrik

The WiiU games you are talking about have small levels and enemy count. Comparing it with a game like Project CARS shows your lack of technical understanding.
I never mentioned any specific games but I'm sure I lack some technical knowledge because to me it makes no sense that AAA games in general seems to have better optimization. My belief is simply that Nintendo aren't trying to get Ultra HD PC graphics to run on WiiU, they've accepted that the system can't cope with that and they're just great a hitting that sweet spot were the game worlds have the right size and amount of details for the console to still manage to maintain the targeted 60fps. And why wouldn't that work for PS4 and PCars too? Same tracks and cars but less details and graphical effects, less cars on track, lower resolution = better performance? It works on the PC version, why not on PS4?

Caddle

Ran great compared to what nfs. Put it along forza, and no, it didn't run great. Gt6 also ran horrible with tearing and dropping frames. If your going to criticize pcars then don't use gran turismo as any benchmark.

ShamePain

Banned
Ran great compared to what nfs. Put it along forza, and no, it didn't run great. Gt6 also ran horrible with tearing and dropping frames. If your going to criticize pcars then don't use gran turismo as any benchmark.

Put it in 720p mode on a track with pre baked lighting and no weather and it run just as well as forza.

Journey

Banned

Beaten

The old Xbox ran games at higher resolutions as well, doesn't really mean anything if you're not running the same assets.

Three

Just because one or a few individuals can't notice it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I wasn't suggesting it doesn't exist, I've seen the still shots of it already. I was saying that it is hardly headache inducing if you look at an actual 60fps video of it and that the uploaded 30fps video on youtube exaggerates the effect because it will be missing frames, compounding the issue. I agree that an option is good.

Hubble

The problem is these consoles are nowhere as powerful enough to target 60FPS while furthering visual fidelity.

It's just not possible.

These consoles need to aim for a locked 30FPS while pushing the graphics. The difference between this generation and last, is little and not helped by the large textures of newer titles, aiming for a demanding 60FPS, etc., etc.,, that are preventing us from seeing a big leap to next generation.

Console gamers will continue to yell "60 FPS or nothing" when in reality, they are preventing better graphics to be pushed and spreading the console can be a PC mentality among developers.

Wow please please please sort out this blur ghosting issue for the ps4 sms, my eyes hurt due to constantly trying to focus the ghost blur, its the same feeling you get when say if you dont wear glasses and you try someones on your eyes hurt but not as bad... when in cockpit view most things outside the windshield blur on and off, the blur lasts too long, theres no way i can spend more than 30 mins on this, it feels like im going bogeyed, im not talking about depth of field either as i turned that off.

does anyone else's eyes hurt?

Shin-Ra

The point he is trying to make is that we are now almost 18mths into the life cycle of the 'new' consoles and we are already seeing alot of games bringing these machines to their knees (Not just in terms of performance but gfx quality).

Sure there is always more time for optimisation, but this long after launch we should be starting to see these machines bear their fruits by now, but this just isn't the case. We are already seeing the new consoles being easily outperformed by modest PCs.

I just don't feel these new consoles are having the same impact the PS360 had at this point in their life cycles.

I cant help but think this E3 is a make or break for these machines to really rejuvenate interest after countless remasters and delays. I'm also a PS4 owner btw....a rather frustrated one it has to be said

Whenever someone says this I always think back to The Orange Box on 360 - handled by Valve internally.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-orange-box-review
Contrary to popular opinion, I must admit that my initial impressions of the Xbox 360 conversion of The Orange Box were not that favourable. The Source Engine that powers Valve's games is simply untouchable on PC; its ability to scale the 3D to match the power of the graphics hardware running it is phenomenal, to the point where even a low-power computer runs Half-Life 2 extremely well. The Xbox 360, by contrast, is pegged at a maximum frame rate of 30 frames-per-second at 720p, without any form of anti-aliasing to smooth off the visuals. The notion that my three-year-old PC ran the game better than the 360 (at 1920x1200 to boot) just seems wrong - I expected more from an engine that performed so well on its original platform.
The 360 version of the Orange Box was generally considered a highly competent port, two years after 360 launched.

Fredrik

These consoles need to aim for a locked 30FPS while pushing the graphics. The difference between this generation and last
Or aim for locked 60fps while pushing the graphics as far as possible without sacrificing a single frame drop? There's plenty of power in these consoles.
Yes, the game will initially get slaughtered on message boards when people compare it to Driveclub etc in still pics but few people will complain once it's actually played if they're interested in the genre and not just the graphics, nothing makes more sense for this genre than focusing on maintaining 60fps. Hopefully SMS can manage to patch it up with a weather on/off option or something, or a 20/40 cars on track option (similar to Motorhead on PS1 - aren't some racing devs from DICE on this team?) - Until then I'll be playing on PC instead or sitting on the fence waiting, haven't decided what to do yet.

carl32

Banned
Yeah, people don't give PD enough credit, despite all the shortcomings in game design, from the technical point of view GT has always been ahead of the pack, on top of pushing a resolution that's isn't uncommon on currentgen at 60fps (with drops, but still) on a system with 256mb of VRAM and a crappy GPU they were also pushing some things other devs like T10/SMS didn't even dare to pursue like dynamic lighting/weather, 16 car grids, animated pitstops and so on. I think right now people underestimate just how ambitious a PS4 GT might be, given what they've achieved on PS3 and now having a straight forward architecture with 10 times better specs at their disposal. Hell, even if they just made a lazy port of GT6 it would easily compete with Forza5/PCars from the graphics perspective. We ain't seen shit yet.
Which is why i wouldn't be surprised if Forza 6 and GT7 ran at 1080p 60fps locked with all dynamic lighting/weather etc. With the right programmers you can squeeze blood out of a stone to certain degree. I don't know much about SMS but i assume they are a lot smaller team /budget than T10 and PD, so with that in mind i think they have done a good job.

benzy

I'm not sure what you take issue with there, that only shows his point. That is 3D terrain, not a 2D backdrop. This is a 2D backdrop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY4AuZkzi2E

Yeah, the terrain in the new circuit tracks stretches for miles with geometry. People are thinking Polyphony created it with something else in mind for the future (course maker compatible?)

Images courtesy of Wax.

granturismo6_9v0blb.png

granturismo6_101qajw.png

granturismo6_7t1xu7.png

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sony and MSFT really are insane if they think this hardware will be acceptable for so long. Especially when so many developers struggle to even hit native resolution at 60FPS all the while Sony is pushing 4k TVs.

I agree. They (or at least Sony) did the best job possible at the time given the price and power budgets. But this console generation should end rather sooner than later. Exclusive games like The Order look really good, but mult-iplatform games so far have disappointed me especially with bad AA. I'll probably build a gaming PC for my living room soon, if the alternative is to live with shitty aliasing and unlocked frame rates (and I would be ok with 30fps, as long as it is locked, and not fluctuating all over the place).

Sporran

Wow please please please sort out this blur ghosting issue for the ps4 sms, my eyes hurt due to constantly trying to focus the ghost blur, its the same feeling you get when say if you dont wear glasses and you try someones on your eyes hurt but not as bad... when in cockpit view most things outside the windshield blur on and off, the blur lasts too long, theres no way i can spend more than 30 mins on this, it feels like im going bogeyed, im not talking about depth of field either as i turned that off.

does anyone else's eyes hurt?

I played less than 5 mins and turned it off :( I cant stop seeing the bluring so much i feel motion sickness and want to vomit.

Blizzard

Banned
I do think SMS should be called out for slamming the original DF preview piece, though.

Things that were said by Slightly Mad in response to that first article.

This is not true in the final game. Why make a point of addressing this when that isn't the case?
I'm very slow to reply to this, but the one of the SMS render developers replied in the CARS thread and described a lot of the game's details. With AF, for example, there are different levels used for different things. Off the top of my head, only the white lines use 8x AF, and other things use lower levels, apparently to save a little performance.

benzy

I'm very slow to reply to this, but the one of the SMS render developers replied in the CARS thread and described a lot of the game's details. With AF, for example, there are different levels used for different things. Off the top of my head, only the white lines use 8x AF, and other things use lower levels, apparently to save a little performance.

At first SMS just said they changed the AF from 4x to 8x on consoles without specifying anything. It was a bit misleading to be honest as I thought they meant everything on the road and not just white lines...

Blizzard

Banned
At first SMS just said they changed the AF from 4x to 8x on consoles without specifying anything. It was a bit misleading to be honest as I thought they meant everything on the road and not just white lines...
I dug around and found my post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162466336&postcount=8671

So ... Anisotropic Filtering.

Everyone loves a good AF debate, right?!

I think the key piece of knowledge that is missing in the various analysis about the track anisotropy is that they all consider the track to be a single textured piece of geometry.

This is not the case - the track is rendered in three passes:

1. The base track layer e.g. The Tarmac!
2. The road markings e.g. White lines
3. Dirt layer / tyre marks

And since they are separate passes it's possible for each layer to have different Anisotropy settings - 4x, 4x, 2x respectively, with white lines being up'd to 8x subsequently.

omonimo

Banned
The problem is these consoles are nowhere as powerful enough to target 60FPS while furthering visual fidelity.

It's just not possible.

These consoles need to aim for a locked 30FPS while pushing the graphics. The difference between this generation and last, is little and not helped by the large textures of newer titles, aiming for a demanding 60FPS, etc., etc.,, that are preventing us from seeing a big leap to next generation.

Console gamers will continue to yell "60 FPS or nothing" when in reality, they are preventing better graphics to be pushed and spreading the console can be a PC mentality among developers.
Wait wat? Jeez really now? Ps4 can handle 8 times what ps3 did, this is considered a little difference? And use this game with limited budget and resources to prove how this generation can't handle 60 fps it's really unfair. What they reached it's remarkable but doesn't mean with more budget and resources we can do better.

I'm not here to compare pcars to any other game. I was simply pointing out that GT5 ran at 1280x1080, which is nearly the same pixel count as most xbox one games at 1600x900..

Mascot

Having spent almost a day with the PS4 version now I'd just like to say, there's a lot of alleged racing game fans in this thread believing in the bogeyman and cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Sure, it currently has its bugs and glitches (easily patched) but the game is utterly absorbing and totally thrilling. Graphical performance for 99% of the time in normal circumstances is absolutely stellar.

Three

lel1.gif

No....not even close. Not in poly count...

And what exactly do you think the polycount in GT is to make such a claim? Because you're dead wrong btw. GT5 has 200k polygons for the car models 500k in photomode. PCars has 60k. GT6 goes one step further and does the impossible, it does adaptive tessellation on a 9 year old console so talking about poly count is meaningless:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/insane-polycount.307395/

it has some truly amazing graphics for a game on a console thats almost a decade old.

Hubble

Wait wat? Jeez really now? Ps4 can handle 8 times what ps3 did, this is considered a little difference? And use this game with limited budget and resources to prove how this generation can't handle 60 fps it's really unfair. What they reached it's remarkable but doesn't mean with more budget and resources we can do better.

8X difference means shit when when the PS3 was 7 years old when the PS4 launched. A laptop CPU is more powerful than a PS3 CPU. I am not saying the game looks bad but consoles are not going to be pushing graphics at 60FPS with reasonable settings to PC. Developers should be focused on pushing graphical fidelity the best they can instead of aiming for PC-like settings (1080p, 60fps), but we have helped cause this obsession.

nOoblet16

Yes GT6 performed worse than Forza but it did shit ton on a PS3 at a fairly high resolution, ofcourse the quality of its effect is worse than Project Cars but again it was on PS3 and gave out comparable performance while doing things that no other developer even attempted. And Project cars is providing similar performance with a machine that is 8 times more powerful with some 25% resolution boost and increased precision and quality of effects.

8X difference means shit when when the PS3 was 7 years old when the PS4 launched. A laptop CPU is more powerful than a PS3 CPU. I am not saying the game looks bad but consoles are not going to be pushing graphics at 60FPS with reasonable settings to PC. Developers should be focused on pushing graphical fidelity the best they can instead of aiming for PC-like settings (1080p, 60fps), but we have helped cause this obsession.

Just to say that you are moving goal posts here, no use bringing PC or the age of the older gen in argument here when you yourself said in your own post that the new consoles are not really powerful compared to the old one. It does not matter if a mid end PC outperforms or if a laptop has a better CPU, hell even the PS3 has a better CPU (in some aspects) than PS4.

The person who quoted you was arguing against your point about new consoles being barely an improvement over older ones. The comparison here is solely between a PS3 and PS4 wand by that merits a PS4 is a considerable improvement as 8x is a big jump.

shandy706

And what exactly do you think the polycount in GT is to make such a claim? Because you're dead wrong btw. GT5 has 200k polygons for the car models 500k in photomode. PCars has 60k. GT6 goes one step further and does the impossible, it does adaptive tessellation on a 9 year old console so talking about poly count is meaningless:

If you stop trying to shit on GT for a second you would realise it has some truly amazing graphics for a game on a console thats almost a decade old.

I'm talking about Forza 5. Derp

I'm not taking a shot at GT, the series is amazing, especially on the hardware it's on. I'm not, and I don't think anyone is, saying otherwise. GT7 should be awesome.

It's absolutely stupid to say the tracks and cars are on par with Forza 5 in poly count, track (and trackside) detail, textures, etc. It does have weather and other features that are nice, but saying cars and tracks are comparable, that's not honest in the least bit.

Anyone saying so looks ridiculous. ESPECIALLY in gameplay. If you think they're comparable, you're not playing them both in HD on the same setup. Some tracks in F5 probably have more track detail, texture detail, laser level detail, and trackside detail than multiple GT5/6 tracks put together. A single track can have hundreds of cars across parking lots, RVs, food vendors, attractions, miles of view distance on top of that. Take Sebring for example, the trackside detail is just incredible....to the point of being ridiculous. I'd love to know the polycount of just the vehicles/tents/buildings lining it.

I don't have PCars so I can't comment on it.

Just silly...and this is a PCars thread anyway. I'm done with the conversation.

Sipheren

Banned
Did my own capture last night of some racing in the wet with 20 AI cars. My main discovery is that racing in the wet is really hard.

I don't know how to get a fps counter on your xbone capture either, if someone knows how to do that I would appreciate knowing.

https://youtu.be/22F8PxujGTo

Three

Did my own capture last night of some racing in the wet with 20 AI cars. My main discovery is that racing in the wet is really hard.

I don't know how to get a fps counter on your xbone capture either, if someone knows how to do that I would appreciate knowing.

https://youtu.be/22F8PxujGTo

You can't show framerate counts on the captures. Unless you mean you have the computer software/hardware that did the counting and wish to overlay it on the capture.

Sipheren

Banned
Stop trying to derail this fucking awesome Forza vs Gran Turismo pissing contest, damn you!

Oh...sorry.... GT was good up to 4, then it got shit and I moved to xbox and Forza :)

You can't show framerate counts on the captures. Unless you mean you have the computer software/hardware that did the counting and wish to overlay it on the capture.

I capture using a Live Gamer Portable, in the preview screen on the PC I can turn on Fraps and it shows the fps, but I can't record the overlay.

Would love to know how DF and the like do it.

it has some truly amazing graphics for a game on a console thats almost a decade old.

Fairly sure the 200k figure is definitely not in game. The Xbox One can't handle that for Forza's ingame models (which are around 60-100k IIRC), so there's no way the PS3 hardware can, especially with up to 16 cars on screen.

Also, your figure of the pCARS model quality is wrong. SMSRenderTeam stated that every car has an LODX model, which is used for Ultra model quality and the player's car renders at that level. I can't remember the exact figure but I'm pretty sure that at those settings the player's car is 200-250k polygons in gameplay. If we're just going for highest number of polygons, then Forza 5's models win, with Forzavista models (interior, exterior and engine details all rendered) being around 1m polygons.

Korezo

Tried the game on PC last night. Definitely a game for a wheel. Gamepad had me spinnign out of control all over the palce. There's just not enough nuance and accuracy ona gamepad's triggers and analog stick.

Still, the game looks gorgeous. I was running on ultra settings with SMAA at full, getting 60 FPS on my 780ti. Pretty sweet.

The UI is a bit of a emss though. Nto very intuative, and I can't seem to quit the game via gamepad.

Any recommendations on a wheel?

I don't know how because 60fps ultra and max AA is impossible with SLI 970 unless probably in practice mode with clear skies.

Top Bottom