• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Project CARS Performance Analysis (PS4/XB1)

They genuinely can't see it, even SMSRenderTeam, so "claim" may not be the proper word, they know that they can't see. Blows my mind all the same.

I genuinely can't see it! Been playing the PS4 version everyday since release, even switching between that and PC I can't see it!

For what its worth playing on a 40" TV from maybe 3ft away.

mitchlol

I'm playing on PC with 1080p 60fps, high/ultra, looks great and runs great. Controls excellent with Logitech Driving force GT. unfortunate that the consoles are having issues because it's quite a fun game. My decision to invest in my PC than try and drag my ps4s corpse along for a few more years has proved a smart decision.

I'll leave the ps4 for exclusives only.

Certinty

Regarding the ghosting on the PS4.

On my PS4 connected to a LED TV I can't see ghosting at all while on my other PS4 connected to a Plasma TV it's very noticeable.

Anyone know why this is the case?

Durante

On my PS4 connected to a LED TV I can't see ghosting at all while on my other PS4 connected to a Plasma TV it's very noticeable.

My guess would be that it's because many LCD displays have the motion clarity of a murky pond in the fist place, so of course motion artifacts become harder to spot.

_machine

It's an effect that can get magnified by the tv-setup; for example some LED TV's will have it pronounced unless you use a dedicated "Gaming Mode".

This thread, launch and performance analysis is such a trainwreck.

SMS should patch an option to disable the rain spray effect (or tone it way down), even if it affects (online) gameplay, people would stop fucking whining without knowing what they're talking about.

Yes, DC holds 30 FPS with weather perfectly and that's commendable, but it DOESN'T have a spray effect that fills the screen with multiple transparencies like PCARS has.
PCARS went for the realistic approach that affects gameplay and makes rain more than just "slippery road mode" and it gets shit for it.

le-seb

I genuinely can't see it! Been playing the PS4 version everyday since release, even switching between that and PC I can't see it!
It's simply that some people are sensitive to ghosting and other people - like you, it seems - are not.
Just like some people are more or less sensitive to screen tearing and/or framerate fluctuations.
And like with these, some of those people will find ghosting to be from simply distracting to so disturbing that they'll simply cannot play the game (because it's genuinely causing them visual fatigue or even motion sickness, not because they're snobs).

That's why some people are asking for a locked 30 fps option, and others for a way to suppress this ghosting, even if it hits the IQ.
SMS must listen to these people and give them these options, IMO.

It's simply that some people are sensitive to ghosting and other people - like you, it seems - are not.
Just like some people are more or less sensitive to screen tearing and/or framerate fluctuations.
And like with these, some of those people will find ghosting to be from simply distracting to so disturbing that they'll simply cannot play the game (because it's genuinely causing them visual fatigue or even motion sickness, not because they're snobs).

That's why some people are asking for a locked 30 fps option, and others for a way to suppress this ghosting, even if it hits the IQ.
SMS must listen to these people and give them these options, IMO.

Completely agree. Its obviously causing people some pain so if it can be switched off then allow it.

This thread has gone to shit. People have completely derailed it with conversations about gran turismo vs forza. Stay on topic, brehs.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I think what a lot of people are forgetting is these frame drops with weather effects are with 30+ cars on the screen. You don't have to have that many, but the option is there. If it's that big of an issue then try reducing it to 6 or 8 like other console sims. Credit where it's due I'm glad SMS have given us, the users, so many options to play with, it's a refreshing change.

Dunno but I'm on a Samsung 27" LED monitor and I'm not noticing any ghosting either.

dogstar

Banned
I am finding the ghosting very-very noticeable and is really detracting from the pleasure of the game. To me it makes the fluid frame rate (I accept its not always 60fps) feel much lower, such is the affect of seeing multiple images. At times its like the pan judder you see in a 24fps movie.

The worst situation is using the wipers in the rain, as I see several wiper blades at the same time in front of my face.

I really want a toggle, even if AA is affected; I don't want a locked 30fps personally.

I'm finding the tearing a bit much at times too, but I do love the game overall, despite these issues and a few other bugs and glitches.

I'm playing on PC with 1080p 60fps, high/ultra, looks great and runs great. Controls excellent with Logitech Driving force GT. unfortunate that the consoles are having issues because it's quite a fun game. My decision to invest in my PC than try and drag my ps4s corpse along for a few more years has proved a smart decision.

Consoles are all about price/performance ratio and PC always been the better choice if you have money (not everyone one has money and time to build/update PC along with drivers for each game because they have life too) to get high resolutions and FPS which is not hard/smart decision for anyone to make.

What you expect from $399 PS4 to mean it corpse now (its dead no 3rd party game are being released or completely unplayable)? Reaching 1080p/60FPS High/Ultra in all games for $399 hardware where in reality we know hardware needed to get these are around 800-1000$ (or around 500-600$ to match PS4) in PC and still you need to keep investing on hardware every two years to keep up and some time on every game to update drivers and tweak settings, but you won't be investing anything at all in Console hardware other than buying games for 5-6 years and for software its also simple firmware updates. Almost every Console (especially PS4) 3rd party game runs great considering hardware (and developers effort) and some are having issues which will be solved in patches but not unplayable completely at all and so do PC too have their own issues in bad ports but some people with money use more hardware power to solve the performance issues.

Its simple, if you have money and time to throw then PC is always the best for multi platform games, but if you want performance/price ratio, save time, big exclusives and Plug n play support then Consoles are the best. So please don't say bad about each other as they serve different needs.

PS: No offense just wanted to clear out this Consoles vs PC comparisons as there are clear differences and targeted audience for both. And sorry for being off topic.

Pjsprojects

Must say I agree fully with the above. I own a pretty good pc and both consoles.
I get certain games on pc to see how nice they can look but 90% I buy on consoles because of either crappy ports or messing around with drivers.

Project cars I went with X1 and am happy enough with it even though I was an early backer of the game on pc and know the game looks better on that platform.

cakely

Good for you that you dropped that ancient millstone,

I rate this post 10/10 for subtlety.

Korezo

Must say I agree fully with the above. I own a pretty good pc and both consoles.
I get certain games on pc to see how nice they can look but 90% I buy on consoles because of either crappy ports or messing around with drivers.

Project cars I went with X1 and am happy enough with it even though I was an early backer of the game on pc and know the game looks better on that platform.

I don't get it, so you bought the worst performing version of the game because? And does pcars pc have have a drivers update?

leng jai

So why exactly did you decide to buy the worst version of the game?

Consoles are all about price/performance ratio and PC always been the better choice if you have money (not everyone one has money and time to build/update PC along with drivers for each game because they have life too) to get high resolutions and FPS which is not hard/smart decision for anyone to make.

What you expect from $399 PS4 to mean it corpse now (its dead no 3rd party game are being released or completely unplayable)? Reaching 1080p/60FPS High/Ultra in all games for $399 hardware where in reality we know hardware needed to get these are around 800-1000$ (or around 500-600$ to match PS4) in PC and still you need to keep investing on hardware every two years to keep up and some time on every game to update drivers and tweak settings, but you won't be investing anything at all in Console hardware other than buying games for 5-6 years and for software its also simple firmware updates. Almost every Console (especially PS4) 3rd party game runs great considering hardware (and developers effort) and some are having issues which will be solved in patches but not unplayable completely at all and so do PC too have their own issues in bad ports but some people with money use more hardware power to solve the performance issues.

Its simple, if you have money and time to throw then PC is always the best for multi platform games, but if you want performance/price ratio, save time, big exclusives and Plug n play support then Consoles are the best. So please don't say bad about each other as they serve different needs.

PS: No offense just wanted to clear out this Consoles vs PC comparisons as there are clear differences and targeted audience for both. And sorry for being off topic.

Since when is it mandatory to invest every 2 years to maintain an edge over the current consoles? You do realize PC gaming has already surpassed 1080p right? A game released on the PS4 in 3 years is likely to still be playable on that PC built today and still have better performance if they choose 1080p for resolution. What PC gaming is able to do is keep hitting a higher ceiling, meaning going to 4K and having everything set to ultra. PS4 games are already struggling to maintain a steady frame rate at 1080p with the XBox One having even more difficulty and the Wii-U lagging behind and that is if that system even gets the game.

bj00rn_

Banned
Seeing lots of double digit differences in the stress test video, also some pretty obscene tearing...

The PS4 beats it on average like we all know. But what's the point in doing frame-by-frame comparison on videos with different content. Pretty much all of your comparisons show the PS4 with a single car on screen with spray, while the XO has three or more. It's not exactly scientific is it..

Edit: I didn't notice that people already commented on this..

GHG

Well in this case you opted for the crappy port. The game was developed for the PC 1st and foremost.

Will be interesting how Turn 10 handle Forza 6 frame rate and resolution.

Talk of $399 machines doesn't really mean anything. Yes they're weak in relation to other hardware, my view is the consoles are weak even before launch because I know what a 7790 is and how a Jaguar core is weaker than budget CPUs from 5 years ago through years and years of PC experience, its a low watt laptop CPU but...

You cut your cloth accordingly. Can T10 add some improvements while keeping that 60fps cap. They've done brilliantly so far not dropping below 60fps and thus tear free. I remember car count and moving parts being a thing but they were able to add these things later than others but still keep 60fps. Perhaps wet races have a 30fps cap in Forza 6 but I've seen some games handle weather better than others and still look good or better.

ironcreed

Banned
I was checking out some streams on my PS4 last night and the game looks fantastic. I'll probably pick this up sooner, rather than later.

GHG

In case anyone was wondering this is what I did yesterday in order to play PCars:

- turn on PC
- Open Steam
- purchase PCars & download
- play

Such a hard life.

The PS4 beats it on average like we all know. But what's the point in doing frame-by-frame comparison on videos with different content. Pretty much all of your comparisons show the PS4 with a single car on screen with spray, while the XO has three or more. It's not exactly scientific is it..

Edit: I didn't notice that people already commented on this..

I wouldn't say they are radically different in content, just a slight difference in where the vehicle is positioned and what's visible.

It's more than fair to compare both, the vehicle is still very closely on the same part of the track with the same race conditions across both versions.

Pjsprojects

So why exactly did you decide to buy the worst version of the game?

As much as I like the graphics on the pc version I bought the game to play with three mates who all purchased it on X1 plus the rumble triggers on the controller.
I've been pc gaming for a while and although things work much better now days, most games still need tweaking.

As for PS4 I mostly use it for other games such as Destiny because of other friends owning that console.

Bottom line is I bought the game like any other game to have fun with it.

kitch9

Banned
Not going to make any kind of difference, the problem is at any one time you have 2 images on the screen. It's really horrible, I'm amazed some people say you can't see it in motion, I immediately felt like I was watching a 30fps game at the first corner which kind of undermines the most of the point of 60 in the first place.

I did try what you suggested just in case, and it just made things look even more blurry.

I should add on the upside, I made the game engine choke a little and honestly it wasn't that big of a deal, I can live with that. The graphics generally are more than high enough quality for me (I've turned post procs off), the ghosting motion blur though is a fucking abomination. If a dev hadn't posted something about looking to patch an option in there I'd honestly be returning it or slinging it on ebay.

Motionflow type settings may enhance the ghosting some are seeing.

I've been scrutinising my screen for it and can't see anything.

I need to lose the Driveclub bad habits I've got as well.

FACE

Banned

hmmmuabhu.png

carl32

Banned
Im pissed off with myself, i ended up with this game on XB1 and Ps4 as my Xb1 version didn't arrive yesterday and i didn't think it was coming as Gameseek had messed up my order for Xb1. So anyway i bought the Ps4 version yesterday from a shop got home played it and enjoyed it and thought it performed very well overall. Then checked my emails and i had one saying my XB1 version would be arriving today, so i sold my Ps4 version this morning to a friend at work, got home played Xb1 version and im really disappointed with the performance, really choppy especially round almost every corner and lots of frame rate drops and this is when their is only me on screen and clear weather. This game is really unfinished on XB1.

P.s i bought it on XB1 because it was cheap £32 and 1080p 900p doesn't really bother me and i knew the frame rate was better on Ps4 but i didn't realise it was this bad. :-(

Pjsprojects

I must be blind because although I know the frame rate is the worst of the three I've not seen this choppy effect at all. My vids show it's smooth enough to play on X1.

carl32

Banned
I must be blind because although I know the frame rate is the worst of the three I've not seen this choppy effect at all. My vids show it's smooth enough to play on X1.
It was on the track and car you can use when it was installing, then when it was installed on Spar with a Mclaren P1, 20 cars sunny weather, even when i was the only car on screen. But saying that iv'e not long done 8 laps online with 12 other players, i can't remember the track and it was almost perfect, i noticed 1 minor judder which i think was internet.

Ishida

Banned
In case anyone was wondering this is what I did yesterday in order to play PCars:

- turn on PC
- Open Steam
- purchase PCars & download
- play

Such a hard life.

An answer to a question nobody asked. Thanks, anyway. I guess.

Im pissed off with myself, i ended up with this game on XB1 and Ps4 as my Xb1 version didn't arrive yesterday and i didn't think it was coming as Gameseek had messed up my order for Xb1. So anyway i bought the Ps4 version yesterday from a shop got home played it and enjoyed it and thought it performed very well overall. Then checked my emails and i had one saying my XB1 version would be arriving today, so i sold my Ps4 version this morning to a friend at work, got home played Xb1 version and im really disappointed with the performance, really choppy especially round almost every corner and lots of frame rate drops and this is when their is only me on screen and clear weather. This game is really unfinished on XB1.

P.s i bought it on XB1 because it was cheap £32 and 1080p 900p doesn't really bother me and i knew the frame rate was better on Ps4 but i didn't realise it was this bad. :-(

I seen this performance in eurogamer's second video. The stress test one is getting all the attention though. Hope the devs can look into it. If there's one version that needs a 30fps cap its XBO on evidence so far.

Metfanant

Outside of of having a bunch of friends on the Xbone, I just don't see the point in buying multiplats there...even if the 1080 vs 900 difference doesn't bother you, wouldn't you rather have the version that looks and runs better? Even if the differences are not huge..

carl32

Banned
Outside of of having a bunch of friends on the Xbone, I just don't see the point in buying multiplats there...even if the 1080 vs 900 difference doesn't bother you, wouldn't you rather have the version that looks and runs better? Even if the differences are not huge..
For the games iv'e bought there hasn't been much difference in frame rate, (well not that much until this) but yes mainly for friends i got this and iv'e got to renew my PSN account. I am thinking of moving over to Ps4 more but i do think Project cars can be improved a lot on XB1.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
You guys are funny though.

They clearly state and show that during the career mode the game hits 60fps consistently apart from a few drops during heavy weather races.

But people are chosing to take the worst case scenarios from stress tests and say "omg no buy, i'll wait for Forza/GT". Stress tests aren't usually indicative of the environment in which you will be playing, they are intended to seek out the worst case scenarios.

Forza/GT dont even do half the things this game does.
Yep and tbh 99% of my racing will be online with a max amount of 16 cars so I see/seen no problem on me PS4 ☺

Yep and tbh 99% of my racing will be online with a max amount of 16 cars so I see/seen no problem on me PS4 ☺
I've done the same, and I've had plenty of dips and tearing.

I've also had it stutter and crap when people are leaving and entering which is far more annoying than the odd tear.

I think there's something going on besides normal frame rate issues.

I was playing the qualifying session for the Oulton Park Fosters event in the Renault Clio Cup and the frame rate was so bad I couldn't finish the session.

I wasn't able to reproduce this in later seasons and events on the same track.

I've been playing the career for 15 hours and didn't notice any other issues.

carl32

Banned
I think there's something going on besides normal frame rate issues.

I was playing the qualifying session for the Oulton Park Fosters event in the Renault Clio Cup and the frame rate was so bad I couldn't finish the session.

I wasn't able to reproduce this in later seasons and events on the same track.

I've been playing the career for 15 hours and didn't notice any other issues.
I done that one and it is terrible, felt like it dropped to 15 fps at times even with only me on the screen yet with 20 cars on screen on other tracks on pole its seems ok.

Pjsprojects

I done that one and it is terrible, felt like it dropped to 15 fps at times even with only me on the screen yet with 20 cars on screen on other tracks on pole its seems ok.

Sounds like a bug that I've not come across yet. They must have a patch in the works.

Top Bottom