• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: The Witcher 3 patch 1.03 performance analysis (PS4/XB1)

These threads amaze me, they are 50% well thought out, in depth analysis of technical performances and comparisons across 3 different platforms, and 50% whining and platform arguing that makes the old Nintendo/Sega arguments seem mature.

Thanks again to all the people give these games a once, twice, and thrice over. Some of those pop in issues would really bother me, to the point of immersion breaking. The frame rate, as long as it doesn't hit 20fps, wouldn't affect me as much. I can generally look past that if I am having fun, and this isn't a character action game. Will be picking this up on PS4 later when I have time, and with the news of the 1.04 and .5 patches, it looks like I'll have a much more stable game to play.

DF Stress Test
Framerate on PS4 from 1:04 is really pathetic.
Holy shit!

That frame rate remained 20 FPS like the entire time in the Swamp.

I haven't played any further of TW 3 because patches, but is the water just plain shit on all platforms or looks any better on PC? It looks like the worst looking water on current generation consoles. I remember Watch Dogs and GTA V had some pretty good looking water on current gen.

Do we really think the framerate on PS4 is gonna be patched soon?

I ask because I'm inclined to just trade it in for the XB1 version at this point :/

Holy shit!

That frame rate remained 20 FPS like the entire time in the Swamp.

I haven't played any further of TW 3 because patches, but is the water just plain shit on all platforms or looks any better on PC? It looks like the worst looking water on current generation consoles. I remember Watch Dogs and GTA V had some pretty good looking water on current gen.

looks great on PC even on medium settings
must be the consoles being shitty versions of the game

looks great on PC even on medium settings
must be the consoles being shitty versions of the game
Now we don't really need that hyperbole =/

The Water effects are equal to "High" settings on PC, a notch below Ultra. From what I understand, there is no improvement in the look, just in the movement i.e casting spells results in some nice effects in water.

thelastword

Banned
So how do you know it's a vsync issue? Regardless, it's still an issue.
You're also completely disregarding the performance on the far right of the video which is clearly ahead of the PS4 version at multiple areas and in a variety of scenes. Maybe you'd like me to point those out in conventient screen grabs too?

No need for the personal attacks too. I get that you're a bit salty and all that your favourite brand is apparently underperforming in Witcher 3, but there's no need for attacking me and another forum user.
I know it's a vsync issue because the game stays locked at 20 for lengthy periods, most times it falls below 30. The vsync method on the XB1 is completely opposite and is a better method for consoles, which kinda suggests that the XB1 version had a little more thought and time put into it.

I only made mention of our fellow forum poster, because he alluded to the double vsync with locks to 20fps as some sort of solution that the developer implemented into the PS4 version, that's over a see-saw 30-29-28 fps drops, that triple buffering would provide. I don't know about you, I don't think any sane developer would do this, 20fps over 29 or 28 fps? so I though he was being disingenuous about it. In any case, if the developer sorts this vsync issue out, we will see if the PS4 version truly falls to 20fps natively, I'm willing to bet it doesn't.

Because I have a pair of eyes. Every asset is really low poly after a few meters. You can see in npcs, buildings, rocks, etc. People 10 meters away from the camera don't cast shadows. AF lack is really noticeable, same for texture resolution. I don't know how you can say it's hard to notice being so obvious.
I want them to improve certain/most aspects, but you were being a tad hyperbolic with your statement. The PS4 version is noted for having 8xAf, but here you're saying terrible AF, textures is also mostly at high, though they should be at ultra, even then, the quality is the same rez wise.

Comparable doesn't mean a carbon copy or perfect match.

Like has been shown, you can find many situations where the 750ti at stock is beating the PS4 and vice-versa. Also many times where its the same. Finding some spots where the PS4 is slightly ahead doesn't mean not comparable.

The real kicker here is the 750ti is inferior to the PS4 GPU. It sits between the XBO and PS4 and is a popular entry level GPU that's comparable. The overclock makes it more in-line with PS4 performance and please have a look to the right hand side of your own comparisons.
I only compare stock, because this is what is used in all the debates about comparable quality. You are forgetting that the PS4 is locked, so when it's holding 30fps in cutscenes whilst the unlocked 750ti falls below 30fps as low as 25fps even, that's not comparable. Who knows, the PS4 could be at 45 fps in these cutscenes whiere we see the 750ti at 25 or 27fps etc....

It's already a bad comparison, since the PS4 is locked and the 750ti unlocked, it's even worse because it's known that cutscenes are buggy on the PS4. The fact that I can still show that the PS4 is on top of the 750ti 99% of the time in cutscenes is more than enough evidence that it is not comparable. If you want further evidence, the PS4 was ahead of the 750ti by an average of 20fps in Project Cars. I don't know how anyone can call that comparable. Also, I can't overclock the 7870 hybrid in the PS4, that OC stat was even more useless.

For the record, people use games like Alien Isolation, RE-R2 and Xenoverse to show that the 750ti can do 60fps and run games better than the PS4. I'll tell you something, the PS4 hardware can do all of these games at 1080p 60fps, but they were not done right. Re-R2 runs better on XB1, a nice 60fps, that is all you need to know. Anyone who is truthful about it will acknowledge why the PS4 performed worse than the 750ti in these games. Double digit gains in Project Cars is no coincidence, but I'm sure this whole topic will rise again ad-nauseum to the same claims.

chromatic9 said:
In the Blim and DF vid it shows drops below 20 and 24-25 pop up. With this vsync it drops to 20 because the frame rate has fell. This is not just the case of being 28fps but vsync is pulling it down, it looks to be running at 17-25fps at many spots and vsync is trying to meter out 20 in this low 20s section and even sadly drops to 17. If we could remove vsync for this test on 1.03 it would show this 17-25 range and then when things get less stressful it will climb to 25-30fps. Also the XBO is running at 25/26 there and is not fine either and running 900p.

With 1.04 on PS4 I would hope they can sort out the issues.
We will see when they fix it, don't know how long that will take, they have done two patches and nothing has been fixed yet. I guess we just have to wait. It just shows that if they paid attention to development on consoles(primarily PS4) in the first place, they would not be in that situation. It's always harder fixing things than doing things right the first time. Try learning any of the older languages like C++, miss something as simple as a comma in your syntax and see how long it can sometimes take you to figure that out.

UnrealEck

I though he was being disingenuous about it.
I thought you were being disingenuous to disregard the obvious fact that the 750 Ti still out-performs the PS4 in the overclocked situation, clearly demonstrated in the screen grabs you used to say:

it still outperforms the 750ti combo which many people like to claim is comparable.

Maybe we should disregard overclocked GPUs. I don't know, whatever you think is a fairer comparison.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So after a good few days with 1.03 I keep getting this weird loading issue where the screen will fade white for a split second.

This seems to stick when going into a cut-scene and the only way to get rid is head to the main menu. It would happen like every 15-20 seconds and sometimes makes the audio out of sync.

I've also noticed that when dying or being knocked out by guards that the frame rate becomes worse in the same area and again only fix is main menu,

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dat 40% extra power.

Truthfully, I think it's best that they just aim for parity from here and out for both platforms.
I'll post this vid here again. Did my own stress test starting in the bog during a storm and moving into an area with a number of NPCs and torches. This is the worst performance I have encountered in the game and it seems better than what many are decribing for even their average experience. It's very odd how the baseline difference seems different for so many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9h5xqhhamA

I'll post this vid here again. Did my own stress test starting in the bog during a storm and moving into an area with a number of NPCs and torches. This is the worst performance I have encountered in the game and it seems better than what many are decribing for even their average experience. It's very odd how the baseline difference seems different for so many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9h5xqhhamA

To me, this looks really good. I'm definitely going to pick this up down the road after I wrap up a few games in my backlog.

Hawk269

So, how many more patches before CDPR expects one to play this on PS4? This is embarrassing.

It playable now for many people. Yes, it has it's issues and there are a few bugs, but the game is still playable. If you are asking when it will work with all the bugs/frame rate and other technical issues, I suggest waiting for a few months. CDPR are very good at continuing to improve their games, so it can be some time before everything is perfect.

anothertech

TBH, don't have much complaint on PS4. Having too much fun going through the quests to notice any framerate lag much. To be fair, I wasn't expecting much to begin with due to W1 and W2 control/combat mechanics. But this is night and day difference compared to those.

Some of the complaints sound like a hard reset might do some good for the player, like the stuck in light shaft thing. But gotDaym this game looks beautiful. I definitely see over 30fps in most instances. The writing is sooo good too.

Hell of a game, even on PS4 imo.

Yeah, outside cutscenes both versions are very close to a locked 30 in these videos.

I have the game on the ps4 version and Ive put over 60 hours into it so far and I am loving the hell out of it....but the framerate drops alot in the actual gameplay and not just the cutscenes, but i deal with it cause the game is so good.

Now we don't really need that hyperbole =/

The Water effects are equal to "High" settings on PC, a notch below Ultra. From what I understand, there is no improvement in the look, just in the movement i.e casting spells results in some nice effects in water.

Don't even bother. A huge part of PC Gaf believes that this consoles run low to medium settings on almost every game. Let them dream, I say.

nib95

Banned
Do we really think the framerate on PS4 is gonna be patched soon?

I ask because I'm inclined to just trade it in for the XB1 version at this point :/

Well, it's a buffering issue by the looks of it (auto locking to 20fps when it gets hairy), so I don't see why not. Not saying the frame rate wouldn't drop in these areas if the secondary cap was removed, but it'd be better than locking to 20fps that's for sure.

daman824

Hmm... Thinking of trading my ps4 copy in for the xb1 version. But it sucks because I've made so much progress already. But I've definitely noticed the performance issues.

jaypah

Don't even bother. A huge part of PC Gaf believes that this consoles run low to medium settings on almost every game. Let them dream, I say.

A huge part? Really? Weird.

I want to buy this game but it's the classic "buy now and enjoy vs. buy later but have a better game" syndrome. It's getting pretty hard though tbh.

I don't get the point of trading in the PS4 version of the game for 5 less dropping frames of the XB1 version. They both run like shit. Tbh, the game needs to be heavily optimized to perfection for both platforms. I really don't mind waiting until it's 100%. I'm not trading in shit to play it on another system in which it would probably still play like smaller shit lol.

I don't get the point of trading in the PS4 version of the game for 5 less dropping frames of the XB1 version. They both run like shit. Tbh, the game needs to be heavily optimized to perfection for both platforms. I really don't mind waiting until it's 100%. I'm not trading in shit to play it on another system in which it would probably still play like smaller shit lol.

Yeah, realized how crazy my prior comment came off and decided to just stick with the PS4 version. Like u said, its 5-7 frames in a relatively confined portion of the entire game.

Hell, I beat Dragon's Dogma on PS3!

Fezan

People complaining about performance I think are mostly new to witcher series. Both witcher ran like crap during the launch period and performance got stable when Ee version was released. I have no doubt that performance will keep on improving

I think at this point they should just drop the resolution to 900p on the PS4. They could also make it optional. a drop 20 FPS is not acceptable even in the PS3/X360 late days.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, realized how crazy my prior comment came off and decided to just stick with the PS4 version. Like u said, its 5-7 frames in a relatively confined portion of the entire game.

lol i recall one dude in one of the witcher threads swapping versions and regretting it because he had to replay everything. i dont think its worth the time as they perform similarly (i.e. get bad under stress).

I wasn't personally talking about you :3 but just voicing my opinion on the overall state of mind to playing this game. I don't think rewarding the fuckery on another console really helps anything. It just needs to be solid for both. They aren't flawless and they both need the utmost dedication to be so. :)

Head.spawn

Dat 40% extra power.

Truthfully, I think it's best that they just aim for parity from here and out for both platforms.

Nah, fuck that. I'm totally okay with developers lowering the resolution of Xbox One games for the sake of performance.

Recognize the weaknesses of the hardware, adjust accordingly. I know it's heresy for a lot of PS4 gamers to suggest something below 1080p, but I'm totally okay with it.

God damn. It reached 19fps in points. And 20fps for a loooong time. WTH, that's really pathetic.

It's one of the most demanding areas of the game that I've run across. On PC, @900p, I saw my fps go from 120fps (if you angle the camera into the nothingness of the sky) 75-80fps during normal ground situations with characters running around, then you hit that swamp section and the game drops to around 64-66 at the lowest.

That's about 20fps off of the normal gameplay. So to see it drop only the small portion it did in that video is kind of impressive actually. I think the problem is that the PS4 version is just taking the hard pill to swallow (1080p), when it should be lower. Maybe implementing dynamic resolution scaling would've made waaay more sense on PS4. As opposed to the 1080p start screen on XBO, lol.

Top Bottom