• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry VS Bethesda: PS3 Skyrim is still shit

Nizz

I just went to the Bethsoft forums.. saw a guy from Sweden had written a lengthy letter to Bethesda.. He posted the letter in the forums.. yesterday he wrote back and told that he got an response from Tech Support

Hi,

We thank you for your input. Bethsoft does monitor their forums, even if they aren't posting responses. Just so you know, Skyrim, as well
as our other titles released on consoles were approved by Sony and Microsoft Quality Assurance before their release.

Best Regards
His/Her Name
Technical Support

(you can read the thread here : http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1341643-an-open-letter-to-bethesda-freezing-and-lag/page__st__30 )

WTF..? if this is a real response from Bethesda Tech Support, then they pretty much do not care about their customers at all..
Seems like Beth are passing the buck over to Sony and MS. :| I also wonder just how much QA they put the game through till they gave the thumbs up? They don't seem to have played it past the point where the framerate on PS3 turns to shit.

But of course they had to hit their big event date no matter what. Just an ugly situation all around.

I just went to the Bethsoft forums.. saw a guy from Sweden had written a lengthy letter to Bethesda.. He posted the letter in the forums.. yesterday he wrote back and told that he got an response from Tech Support

(you can read the thread here : http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1341643-an-open-letter-to-bethesda-freezing-and-lag/page__st__30 )

WTF..? if this is a real response from Bethesda Tech Support, then they pretty much do not care about their customers at all..

Wow! I think we already knew that they just don't give a fuck, but this certainly confirms it!

mclem

Yeah that's the last update I mentioned in my post, Bethesda usually update their blog when they have already submitted the patch for certification, and they update again when the patches are available, but they haven't this time, so we could probably assume the patches hasn't been submitted yet, or they just haven't updated, but I would think it's the former.

Or they've failed certification, or there's a hold-up in certification (believe me, it's nowhere near as fast a process as you'd expect).

My hunch is that Sony (in particular, but not just them) is aware that they didn't do a good job in certification last time and this time around they're being extra stringent and careful - which is making things take a while. Particularly given the *nature* of the game.

Anteater

Or they've failed certification, or there's a hold-up in certification (believe me, it's nowhere near as fast a process as you'd expect).

nah I wasn't talking about that, I was saying that they usually post when they've submitted the patch to sony, and then we wait for the certification, you're right that the certification process is really long though :lol, but they don't update until it is released

It's already been submitted though according to Zoibie's post:

https://twitter.com/#!/BGS_Devs/status/166553710066024448

Loudninja

I really hope this patch solves your problems. I really do. My brother also has the PS3 version and he's eager to continue playing.

I'm pretty pessimistic though, especially when it comes to Bethesda.

I ended up buying two copies of Skyrim on launch day. One on 360 and one on PS3. When the shit went down with the PS3 version, I migrated over to the 360 disc and played happily. But my PS3 is my main system, so it would be nice if I could go back to playing Skyrim on it.

I have no confidence in the PS3 version ever being fixed. Bethesda has your money already, and is laughing all the way to the bank. What incentive to fix it do they have when they continually release broken products, and gamers always buy them?

it's harsh, but i really think that many ( maybe the most of the coregamers ) gamers are too much hooked on videogames. they just buy stuff even if the new circumstances are worse than before.

kyubajin

I was really considering getting Skyrim on PS3 soon (my only system), but I guess I'll have to wait till the game is guaranteed to work... if it ever does.

I'm near lvl50 on the ps3 version now. I don't actually have a huge problem with the performance. Sometimes it does get really bad after playing for a long time, but if I quit the game and come back, it gets a lot better. Maybe there is a memory leak or something.

So Bethesda assume Microsoft and Sony do their bug-testing.

It all makes sense now.

NBtoaster

I have no confidence in the PS3 version ever being fixed. Bethesda has your money already, and is laughing all the way to the bank. What incentive to fix it do they have when they continually release broken products, and gamers always buy them?

I dont know why people say this when it's clearly bad publicity, it reflects poorly on the game and them, and it's costing them sales, and they have two patches attempting to fix it anyway.

I dont know why people say this when it's clearly bad publicity, it reflects poorly on the game and them, and it's costing them sales, and they have two patches attempting to fix it anyway.

It's a non issue for them. The press ignores the PS3 problems since Fallout 3. Only a few hardcore people are vocal about the problem. But you can bet that if a big media outlet would put Bethesda on the spot that they would react totally different.

NBtoaster

It's a non issue for them. The press ignores the PS3 problems since Fallout 3. Only a few hardcore people are vocal about the problem. But you can bet that if a big media outlet would put Bethesda on the spot that they would react totally different.

There's plenty of bad publicity on forums (and forum users spreading info to non forum users), and almost every big site has reported on it; IGN, Eurogamer, Kotaku, 1up, Giantbomb...

I guess the willingness to release a product they knew would become unplayable, or didn't even bother to test, speaks volumes about their treatment of PS3 owners.

Why anyone would think that they are even interested in resolving these issues is beyond me. Sure I might be a bit cynical today, but that's the cold truth.

Bethesda simply doesn't care. If they did, they would've tested and optimized the PS3 version. And please don't use the budget and time constraint excuse. So many other developers are able to pull of near perfect cross plattform releases, there's really no excuse.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/08/b...mounts-house-building-kinect-shouts-and-more/

Don't worry about the bugs guys, you can ride dragons and shout at your TV.

That's the spirit. Don't be held back by those unworthy PS3 peasants and rather work on crap like that. Amazing.

Averon

There's plenty of bad publicity on forums (and forum users spreading info to non forum users), and almost every big site has reported on it; IGN, Eurogamer, Kotaku, 1up, Giantbomb...

Let's be real here. Bad publicity on gaming forums don't mean dick to huge publishers. At best, they're an annoyance than can be easily dismissed as the work of raging fanboys/immature man children.

As for gaming websites, they didn't echo any criticism Bethesda's ways until much, much later. And in any case, aside from a few blogs and rare comments here and there, their criticism was pretty damn mild.

Let's be real here. Bad publicity on gaming forums don't mean dick to huge publishers. At best, they're an annoyance than can be easily dismissed as the work of raging fanboys/immature man children.

As for gaming websites, they didn't echo any criticism Bethesda's ways until much, much later. And in any case, aside from a few blogs and rare comments here and there, their criticism was pretty damn mild.

This

If this shit doesn't get fixed, um, this really needs to escalate.

snap0212

That's just because it's Skyrim. Skyrim was/is too big to fail. There's absolutely no way Sony didn't know about the problems but since it's a huge multi-platform game, they have no choice but to release it.

Gaming websites aren't run by journalists, they don't operate by jounslistic standards and we shouldn't expect anything substancial from them, ever. They're good for news but – in the end – they're writing for the publishers, not for the customer. Even the good guys in the games press are held back by industry standards like PR-bullshit answers to serious questions and it must be frustrating for them if they actually thought they'd do real journalism.

Independent, small blogs don't give a crap about publishers. They don't have the money to fly to E3 and don't get invited to preview events, they have to write about interesting stuff to attract visitors. And the most important thing is: They're not friends with the people who make the game and market the game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I was really considering getting Skyrim on PS3 soon (my only system), but I guess I'll have to wait till the game is guaranteed to work... if it ever does.

I don't know what others are experiencing but it really isn't that bad till what seems like far far into the game, my 140 hour level 50 character play wasn't having any problems besides the typical Bethesda glitches and such like.

I'm near lvl50 on the ps3 version now. I don't actually have a huge problem with the performance. Sometimes it does get really bad after playing for a long time, but if I quit the game and come back, it gets a lot better. Maybe there is a memory leak or something.

Same here, I get the occasional jitter, but I haven't come across anything that makes it unplayable after 140 hours on my level 50 character and 40 on my first, I'm currently playing a third character and its fine going so far.

Though that doesn't mean that can't do something about it, hopefully this patch will make everything just that little bit smoother.

KageMaru

Hope the patch does the trick for you PS3 playing fellas.

Wow! I think we already knew that they just don't give a fuck, but this certainly confirms it!

yeah, they seem to be saying "we know our game is broken, but don't blame us". shameful.

You guys act like "tech support" speaks for the studio lol That guy might as well be living overseas and have no idea what goes on within the studio.

You guys act like "tech support" speaks for the studio lol That guy might as well be living overseas and have no idea what goes on within the studio.

well, i haven't heard shit from Todd Howard about the issue. if you'd ask any higher ups at the studio about this, they'd be like "we understand some people may have had issues with the game blablablabla", dishonestly trying to downplay it. their and any PR person's words are worthless.

at least there was an ounce of truth in what the tech support person posted (when you read between the lines).

If PS4 is anything like the PS3, developers are just going to jump ship, I mean who wan't to be getting hammered everytime something like this happens. Imagine putting a ton a work on a platform only to get dissed by it's fans.

If it doesn't happen on 360 or PC, then it's the PS3's architecture. Should they find a fix? sure, but damn why does the PS3 always have to be the problem child?

If PS4 is anything like the PS3, developers are just going to jump ship, I mean who wan't to be getting hammered everytime something like this happens. Imagine putting a ton a work on a platform only to get dissed by it's fans.

If it doesn't happen on 360 or PC, then it's the PS3's architecture. Should they find a fix? sure, but damn why does the PS3 always have to be the problem child?

Yeah publishers will jump ship and won't sell millions of additional copies because they don't like to get dissed by some fans.

If Vita is any indication, PS4 will not be as proprietary as PS3. And PS3 is only the problem child because devs are lazy.

KageMaru

well, i haven't heard shit from Todd Howard about the issue. if you'd ask any higher ups at the studio about this, they'd be like "we understand some people may have had issues with the game blablablabla", dishonestly trying to downplay it. their and any PR person's words are worthless.

at least there was an ounce of truth in what the tech support person posted (when you read between the lines).

lol wow ok.

FireCloud

Is anyone going to boycott the next bethesda game on the PS3, no matter what the reviews say?

That'd be a yes for me.

I knew better than to buy a Bethesda game day 1 but didn't listen to that little voice inside of me saying "Remember Fallout 3 and New Vegas?".

I really hope that patch 1.4 fixes things in a big way for the PS3 version of Skyrim so I can finally make use of my $64 investment. But it's the end of the line for Betheda games for me (on any platform) until they prove that they care about their entire customer base. Take that how you will, but it is mainly targeted at their QA process. There is no way that their testers spent a lot of quality time with their PS3s.

Sanic

Seems like Beth are passing the buck over to Sony and MS. :| I also wonder just how much QA they put the game through till they gave the thumbs up? They don't seem to have played it past the point where the framerate on PS3 turns to shit.

But of course they had to hit their big event date no matter what. Just an ugly situation all around.

They're not even passing the buck so much as they're saying "we've done enough for Microsoft and Sony to allow us to publish the game on their platforms".

edgefusion

Is anyone going to boycott the next bethesda game on the PS3, no matter what the reviews say?

I don't know so much about entirely boycotting their next game but I certainly won't be buying it new. I'll either rent it or pick it up second hand, regardless of whether they implement an online pass or not. Any sort of respect or good favour I had for Bethesda is thoroughly trashed at this point and there is just no way I could trust any of their products again, you'd be mad to really.

I'm not touching this patch yet. 1 Because staying away from the game for like a month really dampened my interest in it, and who knows this might break something in the game, wouldn't be the first time.

Hex

Banned

Ranking up there with one of the most ignorant things that I have ever heard on Gaf.
Not an easy trophy to get.

If a dev is incapable of making something work on the system, then do NOT release it on the system.
Period.
This same thing happened before with Fallout DLC.
It is not new.
Again if you can not get it working, do not release the game for the system.

Number45

I'm technically already in boycott mode, I would have picked up Skyrim day one but for their recent track record with the platform (stability/support/DLC).

Top Bottom