• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

xemumanic

All this next gen version has done for me is give me proof (in my eyes anyway) that the PC version will be just fine. People still bring up the mess GTA IV was on PC, as if that dead horse hasn't been beaten enough for Rockstar to have gotten the picture.

Sporran

So, if I get this right, PS4 has lots of shrubbery everywhere, and the XB1 matches it in some areas and lacks shrubbery in other areas? And a lot of people are posting comparisons of those areas and saying that's representative of the difference?

Well the same happened last gen with the other rockstar game. Though 360 had all the shrubs.

I know, I made the videos.

The is a draw distance issue, shots pulled right out like those comparison shots won't draw the foliage.

Can you show us the same spot on your Xbox One version showing full foliage then? If it's a draw distance issue, that would still be pretty jarring since it would pop in at some point....

-griffy-

Banned
Where is the spot?, the "blurry" video is a direct feed captured via the xbox one record feature, check out the full size version if you want.

They weren't staged, it's just more representative of what you'd actually see when playing, not some pulled out shot.

I mean, it's kind of unrepresentative of the difference only showing the XBO version. Yes, we see foliage in your videos (as we see foliage in the comparison gifs), but if we were to see PS4 video from the same exact area we might see more foliage. The gaps where there are no foliage in your videos might be filled in the PS4 version.

No one is doctoring or "staging" things as far as I can see.

ypo

Where is the spot?, the "blurry" video is a direct feed captured via the xbox one record feature, check out the full size version if you want.

They weren't staged, it's just more representative of what you'd actually see when playing, not some pulled out shot.

lol what are you talking about *pull out* is this a joke?

Stationary, standard third person view.

m5QfIhd.png

How do you *pull out* with the first person view? There's no grass right in front of the player. How shit is the LOD in the Xbone version if this is considered *pulling out* the camera?

Csa01f2.gif

The is a draw distance issue, shots pulled right out like those comparison shots won't draw the foliage.

Then what about the lack of foliage directly beneath/in front the players feet? It's just a flat, bare, 2D texture on the X1.

Here's a reminder of what happened with RDR. Images are included now!

And this is what Digital Foundry had to say about it:

Much has been said about the foliage in the game, the assortment of brush that adds a bit more life to the fairly barren landscape within Rockstar's recreation of the Wild West.

It's fairly obvious from the screenshots shown to date that there has been some significant paring back of detail on the PS3 version of the game, so what's going on? Well, the foliage is generated from transparent alpha textures and these are more expensive for the host hardware to draw.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off

danowat

Banned
How could that GIF have been "staged"? The player is standing in the exact same spot in each GIF.

The denial is STRONG in this one.

I'm not "denying" anything, I've already said the PS4 version is superior.

The comparison wasn't representative of what you'd see playing the game, as I've already said, there is a much smaller draw radius on the xbox one version which means the level of detail isn't there, which means pulled out shots like comparisons will show it in a much harsher light.

Piggus

Not sure what you mean by "pulled out." In the comparison gif the grass directly in front of the player is completely missing. It's not an LOD issue or a case of the PS4 version drawing grass in at a further distance. The Bone version simply has a lot less grass regardless of where the player is. Your videos demonstrate exactly what is shown in the gif, it's just less obvious because you're moving around and there's nothing to compare it to. There are still big areas of missing grass in your videos just like there are in the gifs.

-griffy-

Banned

The comparison wasn't representative of what you'd see playing the game, as I've already said, there is a much smaller draw radius on the xbox one version which means the level of detail isn't there, which means pulled out shots like comparisons will show it in a much harsher light.

But what we are seeing in these shots are examples from the first person perspective. It's not some "pulled out" shot like you are claiming. If it was an LOD issue, we would see foliage immediately in front of the camera, and none in the distance. Instead what we see is no foliage immediately in front of the camera, and some foliage in the distance, albeit not as much as the PS4 version, which has foliage immediately in front of the camera and more foliage in the distance.

So why is there no foliage directly under his feet? It should be there based on your draw radius analysis..

Chobel

Have you noticed any grass pop-in issues? Because that's what happens when you have small draw radius.

JP

Surprised to see that there's so much of a difference between the current consoles in some areas, I know it's hardly the most important thing in a game but I'm quite impressed to see so much foliage in the PS4 version as it does actually add to the game having it there.

What I would say to anybody who only has the choice of the Xbox One version is that I played Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 endlessly and at no point during the many, many ours that I played it did the difference in vegetation get in the way of how much I enjoyed it. Obviously, if it had looked better it would have been a bonus but there was nothing about not having that details that made it any worse for me.

It is a bonus to have the extra detail in the PS4 version of GTA as it just brings it to life a little more but having stuff like this missing doesn't mean it's any less of a game.

That still doesn't explain how there isn't any grass directly beneath/in front of the player's feet on the X1 version. Unless you're implying that grass a few meters away is rendered...but grass a couple of feet away isn't?

danowat

Banned
That still doesn't explain how there isn't any grass directly beneath/in front of the player's feet on the X1 version. Unless you're implying that grass a few meters away is rendered...but grass a couple of feet away isn't?

The grass is patchy and sporadic, I agree, what I am saying is that the shot below, the shot on the left, is in no way representative of what I've seen on the xbox one version.

As I've also said, if someone can pinpoint this area, and I can go check it out.

m5QfIhd.png

The grass is patchy and sporadic, I agree, what I am saying is that the shot below, the shot on the left, is in no way representative of what I've seen on the xbox one version.

As I've also said, if someone can pinpoint this area, and I can go check it out.

m5QfIhd.png

I'm talking about this GIF:

Csa01f2.gif

I'm a sucker for good grass so I'm glad I got this on PS4. By now I expected grassy ass meadows to be in games but no it's all still grass patch island.

-griffy-

Banned
Location?, these shots look like xbox 360 shots!

Minus the new minimap and parallax mapping in the XBO shot that didn't exist in the last generation versions, right? I don't know if you can't tell since the gif is small, but there is thicker grass in the XBO shot in the distance, grass that isn't present in the 360/PS3 version, it just isn't as thick and consistently covering the ground as the PS4 shot, and the player seems to be standing in a spot that happens to be open and free of grass in the XBO shot. An open spot similar to the ones we actually see in your videos of the XBO version.

Top Bottom