• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

gamz

oh_yeah_obama.gif

OT

I miss him so much. *sigh*

Why are some differences so much bigger, like here?

eH9MJIg.png

And some hardly noticable, like here?

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1083sl3.jpg

Some are real time, others I think are just videos of the engine at its best running in video form and played back in game. How a lot of games get their most impressive cutscenes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The question is more: Does the PS4 Pro have enough VRAM to handle the new textures?
Indeed, is it the Power of the X1X or just a texture update.

x1x vs pc maxed. You need to be on chrome or a browser that supports animated png's.

AnimatedPNGs.com_1503763428813.png
Now that is odd considering the DF footage looks worse on PC.
Then again I did a comparison with a direct capture from my Pro and it look a lot better than the Pro shot that was being used.

Xbox One X does seem a little unbalanced with higher quality textures but lower effects but the game is unfinished right now & they was probably just playing to the strength of the hardware 1st & they will optimize & make it look even better by release.
The game is running at twice the resolution though, and the only effect that seems reduced is dof.

And the enriched mode is running at 2 times the resolution too .

If they manage to match the dof it will be amazing, because really that's a much larger resolution gap than expected.

JusDoIt

Yes you are and I'm saying it too, this is insane!
If this is the norm then $499 won't seem so expensive anymore. But I honestly just think it's Nixxes showing off their skills here.

Nah. If it was night and day that would be one thing, but an extra hundo for better textures seems pretty expensive to me.

Neith

Banned
Seriously, what are people so fucking out of their minds for? The Tomb Raider game had XBOX EXCLUSIVITY for a while. Of course Microsoft is gonna get them to do some extra work on a game to, you know, PROMOTE THEIR NEW FUCKING CONSOLE.

Jesus.

LIKE OMG DIRT FACE TEXTURE GUYZ! Cutting my Pro owner wrists now!

Yes, it is annoying they don't give a shit about PC, but luckily I don't really care. Tomb Raider games are always very pretty and not much else but some good puzzles. I don't think they have ever had a great story, but I have not played the newest one.

c0de

Pretty minor update.

ROTR is going to be the most analyzed game on DF...crazy considering it's really not all that good IMO

Crazy that
1 this is a tech thread and the game hardly disappoints in that regard
2 personal opinions are not considered by DF about the quality of a game

HotHamBoy

In two years this will all be obsolete

At any rate, if you want the best performance you pick the XBX.

If you want the most high quality games you pick a PS4. Sony's console exclusives this year have been bananas.

Neith

Banned
Thread is kicking into gear now.

Honestly, no one really cares about this. It's not going to kick into gear. These DF threads about X go on for a couple pages, people are shocked Microsoft is doing something, and then people realize these are all old games no one really cares about.

When the Forza stuff hits the racing threads should kick you in the balls if that is what you are looking for.

Harp

Considering it also looks better then the pc version. Shows that its more about adding more effects and improving textures for the Xbox one x version of the game. Then it shows the ps4 pro and pc can't look the same.

Macrotus

I can't imagine how different RDR2 would between XBOX and PS4 Pro...

And RDR2 is probably not going to have a PC version for at least a year.

Seriously, what are people so fucking out of their minds for? The Tomb Raider game had XBOX EXCLUSIVITY for a while. Of course Microsoft is gonna get them to do some extra work on a game to, you know, PROMOTE THEIR NEW FUCKING CONSOLE.

Jesus.

Yes, it is annoying they don't give a shit about PC, but luckily I don't really care. Tomb Raider games are always very pretty and not much else but some good puzzles. I don't think they have ever had a great story, but I have not played the newest one.
LOL...

Dynomutt

Why did i scroll down to the comment section. :(

Your a glutton for punishment? You knew what to expect. Never check the comment section. You know it looks good no need to affirm that other people think it looks good too.

For the game this looks good no lie!

watdaeff4

Jesus.

Great analysis. Thanks for the invaluable contribution

OT: Since RoTR is the most analyzed game of all-time. Are there any side by side comprisons of OG PS4/Xbox vs. Pro/X? On a 1080p screen?

Honestly, no one really cares about this. It's not going to kick into gear. These DF threads about X go on for a couple pages, people are shocked Microsoft is doing something, and then people realize these are all old games no one really cares about.

When the Forza stuff hits the racing threads should kick you in the balls if that is what you are looking for.

Lol. You got it mate.

Head.spawn

Pretty minor update.

ROTR is going to be the most analyzed game on DF...crazy considering it's really not all that good IMO

Pretty minor?

Greatly improved texture quality, better SSR, higher levels of texture filtering, improved lighting, better framerate, improved shadows, higher resolution, increased geometry, better foliage, dolby atmos sound, hdr...

Minor?

I get you're trying to downplay but maybe pick an easier thread.

Space_nut

Pretty minor?

Greatly improved texture quality, higher levels of texture filtering, improved lighting, better framerate, higher resolution, increased geometry, dolby atmos sound, hdr...

Minor?

All of that on top of a native res that's double the res than pro ;)

daman824

Pretty minor?

Greatly improved texture quality, higher levels of texture filtering, improved lighting, better framerate, higher resolution, increased geometry, dolby atmos sound, hdr...

Minor?

Seriously. And I swear I've seen that poster in PS4 v. Xb1 DF threads talking about how big the differences were

Seeing those comments on YouTube and here makes me wonder what it'll be like when we get comparisons of games like RDR2, BF2 and so on and it's similar to the Rise of the Tomb Raider differences.

Crayon

Pretty minor?

Greatly improved texture quality, better SSR, higher levels of texture filtering, improved lighting, better framerate, improved shadows, higher resolution, increased geometry, better foliage, dolby atmos sound, hdr...

Minor?

These kind of changes are going to be appreciated to differing degrees. This is major for some people and minor for others. There's a ton of people who consider the regular ps4 to the pro to be minor, for instance. It's not such an outrageous statement.

Head.spawn

All of that on top of a native res that's double the res than pro ;)

I actually forgot a few other enhancements and edited them in there... yeah, no clue how anyone can come to the conclusion that it's a minor upgrade.

These kind of changes are going to be appreciated to differing degrees. This is major for some people and minor for others. There's a ton of people who consider the regular ps4 to the pro to be minor, for instance. It's not such an outrageous statement.

Perspective and all, I get that. Someone going from a GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080ti, might see that jump But comparing Xbox One to Xbox One X, I'm not sure what line of thinking can widdle that difference down to minor.

Different strokes though.

Fredrik

Better eyelashes.

7XphzqI.png
I don't have a Pro, are we 100% sure that the middle pic shows the high quality mode? The difference is huge here, skin details, dirt, eyelashes, hair. If the middle pic is 2160p on Pro then how does it look on the original XB1? I thought it looked amazing on XB1 in 2015 but it must be a blurry mess placed beside XBX.

anothertech

Great work John.

I'd like to see how the upgraded 1080p versions compare, since the 4k mode on pro is basically comparing the ps4 version to the pc version.

Top Bottom