• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Hawk269

98% of the game's scenes are real-time including the pictured scenes. Game has amazing cutscenes.
Hey John I know you are taking a little time off but do you have an eta on the Halo Wars 2 XB1X version write up might go up?

Thanks

Colbert

Banned
Okay, little surprise incoming.

Comparison is based on X1X native 4K, PS4 Pro 4K CB, PC highest setting!

Enjoy!

Will update the OP.

uermIUh.png

Here's a comparison of the pc with depth of field and without depth of field.

With DoF:
Without DoF

As you can see, the Xbox One X version simply has DoF disabled, which makes it look like the textures are sharper and more detailed. If you look closely at Lara, it appears the DoF also affects textures on her. So perhaps some texture comparisons between One X and PS4 Pro are flawed due to the DoF being activated on the PS4 Pro version.

I did not expect this difference, hopefully more developers won’t shaft the Xbox One X owners just because they will be the smallest playerbase of the four.

I don't know how much it matters, but we should keep in mind that we're seeing a old game here that Nixxes went back to and improved it significantly. They had all the time in the world to fully focus on the X and that's great, but i wonder how that works for developers that are making upcoming games like ACO, NFS, Destiny 2, CoD, Battlefront 2....these guys have to go the extra mile for X and i really hope they do. Interesting times ahead for sure.

It seems history could be repeating itself with RDR the Neogaf comparison thread for the last game was absolutely legendary.

I wasn't here at that time but i can imagine what it was like, lol. :)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah that would be awesome! :)
XB1 vs XBX is really the comparison we should focus on to understand what kind of upgrade this is. Few people are going to sell their Pro and buy a XBX but lots of people, including myself, will sell their XB1 and buy a XBX.
Looks like I started the game before I got a Pro, my early shots are from my OG PS4 so I'd have to replay it but still..looking at my captures there seems to be stark difference, my other shot I posted in the other thread when it was first shown had the same thing, everything looks sharper and more vibrant compared to the footage being used.
Why is that?

Pingoreous

So they updated the textures and remove the dept of field on one version? this test is misleading if you ask me. Things are not apples to apples here.

Tyaren

It's highly doubtful that the Pro could use these updated textures. The Pro only has .5GB of extra memory and most of that is likely used to store the larger framebuffer from the higher resolution.

While the Xbox One X is obviously more powerful than the Pro, many seem to forget that there is also a game like The Lost Legacy for example that came out for PS4 and Pro with beautiful, high resolution texturing all over the characters and the vast environments.

35988016414_00c2ffbf1c_o.png

I think the real case here is that the Xbox One X version gets a little more extra attention and care by the developers than both PC and PS4 Pro versions got.

FZW

Yeah any version could have the extra details if they modified it. X1X isnt magically making new textures and lighting. The Ps4Pro/PC could have the same look if they added the modified assets. This may be just be a milk job to get more Tomb Raider sales lol.

PC yes, Pro maybe. You're assuming the assets can fit in the paltry (by comparison) memory the Pro has.

Syrus

Banned
Okay, little surprise incoming.

Comparison is based on X1X native 4K, PS4 Pro 4K CB, PC highest setting!

Enjoy!

Will update the OP.

uermIUh.png

So this isnt using the X1 enhanced mode? Wonder if that 4kcb enhance is better rhen 4k native mode

EvB

its clear from those shots that they also worked on the X1X ediiton a bit - I mean even the PC doesn't have that much blood on her face.

Hmm, X1x has no DOF?

Perhaps not in the Native 4K mode as it may just be too much to do at that res.

However the Enriched version, which turns all of the settings up will likely have it dialled up much higher, but nobody has any footage of that yet.
The enriched mode on on X is temporal 2160 and it’s 1080p on Pro.

Presumably the high frame rate mode is also 2160

Lol I bought this game on Xbox One and never played it, then I bought it on PS4 Pro so I could play the better version and still haven't played it, by the time I get around to it I'm gonna end up playing my original copy on Xbox for the best version.

LOL...I just read this and it made me choke on my lunch. Amazing how sometimes life works like this, eh? :)

anothertech

People need to realize they just updated the assets. PC mode not having those textures means this comparison has nothing to do with power.

This is not going to be a standard comparison for games going forward unfortunately.

Neith

Banned
Wow, this 1X version looks better than all Sony exclusives. I'm truly impressed.

LOL not a chance. Tomb Raider is baseline crap tier game with decent puzzles and good graphics and that is it.

It comes nowhere near the scale of what Horizon is doing, and Uncharted 4 beasts it into the ground in motion.

But we all know this is fanboy bait. I don't even know why you are trying. If this is what these threads are going to look like we have a bleak future ahead.

belmonkey

So at this point (until new GPUs come out), it's looking like you might need a $400 GPU (1070 or Vega 56) to hit the same settings the ($500) X1X can hit? Is that right?

etta

my hard graphic balls
While the Xbox One X is obviously more powerful than the Pro, many seem to forget that there is also a game like The Lost Legacy for example that came out for PS4 and Pro with beautiful, high resolution texturing all over the characters and the vast environments.

I think the real case here is that the Xbox One X version gets a little more extra attention and care than both PC and PS4 Pro versions got.
lol

Head.spawn

You are telling me they didn't have the time to port moving trees to the PC. Please. They just didn't care because that was not where their main sales were. The devs maybe cared, but the company as a whole did not.

It's not like we are talking about a 6 month process here. It was pretty shitty of them to not have the definitive version on PC.

The definitive version was on PC.

It's not Nixxes game to keep on working on and adding things to and keep updated after they fulfill their contracted work.

Keep in mind Nixxes mantra is to make each version of the game the best version it can be. The Xbox One X version just happens to be the newest version they've touched and has all of the features of the last releases as well as new ones. After this release and then maybe another patch or so, they're likely on to the next one. If CD wants to implement the changes themselves, they're free to do it or they could rehire Nixxes to do it, but at that point is it worth it? CD is likely hard at work on their next release.

EvB

So this isnt using the X1 enhanced mode? Wonder if that 4kcb enhance is better rhen 4k native mode

On PS4 Pro they drop back to 1080p to add tessellation, increased anisotropic filtering, additional dynamic foliage, increased LOD, additional PureHair strands, sun soft shadows , and improved bokeh DOF.

Hopefully we will see the same things on the X enriched mode, but at 2160t

Colbert

Banned
On PS4 Pro they drop back to 1080p to add tessellation, increased anisotropic filtering, additional dynamic foliage, increased LOD, additional PureHair strands, sun soft shadows , and improved bokeh DOF.

Hopefully we will see the same things on the X enriched mode, but at 2160t

you have seen my latest update on what was compared to each other?

KageMaru

I wouldn't say that with 100% confidence yet. Yes Xbox one X games will likely always have the higher settings on average, but there is still the matter of checkerboarding with many multiplat tittles.

As John did mention briefly in this video, the checkerboarding implemention in the Xbox one X enriched visuals mode was a step down from the PS4 Pro. Remember that the Pro does have that hardware level ID buffer that can help with checkerboarding quality.

I wouldn't use this game to compare CB quality since the same implementation isn't being used in both versions. They are using a temporal injection method on the 1X while the Pro is using CBR. We would need to see games like Anthem to tell how well each system handles CBR.

Wow, this 1X version looks better than all Sony exclusives. I'm truly impressed.

Let's not get carried away now.

I haven't forgotten about LL at all. What many seem to forget is exclusives are not a good comparison to any other game due to a variety of reasons. On top of that, there are some blurry textures in LL that are not improved by the additional memory in the Pro, which was my point.

edit:

shitty FXAA affect

That's a good point I didn't consider. There's still a good chance that we're seeing some form of AA on the 1X version that may also be slightly affecting texture quality there as well. I think it's clear that we are seeing higher resolution textures in that shot specifically.

Kibbles

Wait this is 4k mode on Xbox ? Isn't there a prettier mode besides that which is lower res? o_O Wonder how that'll look.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What's there to lol about?
Dev talent and engine work is not the same across different devs. You can’t compare texture work from two different devs and two different engines when talking about RAM usage of said textures.

Head.spawn

I think the real case here is that the Xbox One X version gets a little more extra attention and care by the developers than both PC and PS4 Pro versions got.

Two completely different games.

Horizon is on PS4 Pro as well and doesn't have textures as detailed as The Lost Legacy. It's a complete non-point though to be comparing two totally different games when talking about limited availability in RAM because each game is going to be using different amounts and have different artistic goals. Though it's worth pointing out that if there was a theoretical PS4 Pro+ Ultra with 16GB of RAM, it could have a version of The Lost Legacy with even better textures than the regular PS4 Pro version because they could add more easily.

RedRum

Banned
The tables have finally turned. The downplay is now in full swing and the X hasn't even released yet.

Lawd.. it's going to be the red sea in GAF.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So at this point (until new GPUs come out), it's looking like you might need a $400 GPU (1070 or Vega 56) to hit the same settings the ($500) X1X can hit? Is that right?

can X1X do HBAO+ and VXAO? and go above 30fps on high fidelity setting? ;)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Did the Anniversary edition ever get a physical release on Xbox? Or just the vanilla version? I want to purchase it again but on disc.

Tyaren

Dev talent and engine work is not the same across different devs. You can’t compare texture work from two different devs and two different engines when talking about RAM usage of said textures.

Of course you can compare. They are not completely alien to eachother.
Otherwise you couldn't compare any video game with another...

o_O
If I didn't have three 144hz screens for my PC I would be pissed that I just bought a 1080ti less than 2 months ago. :/
Because one game is getting textures that may be exclusive to one platform? I don't get statements like these. 99% of other multiplat games are either going to look better or at least on par with the pc version and will have have the benefits of higher frame rates and or ultrawide/sync technology which a 1080 ti can take advantage of.

Upinsmoke

I haven't forgotten about LL at all. What many seem to forget is exclusives are not a good comparison to any other game due to a variety of reasons.

This is a good point, although you can't compare Sony exclusives to MS, because one platform doesn't have any so i guess this will have to do for now.

Top Bottom