• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Trago

DF threads in the future will be 1. Hilarious and 2. Banning bloodbaths. Play it cool everyone.

Naw fuck that! Let the salt mining commence!

In all seriousness, it's gonna be the reverse of the beginning of this gen when DF was comparing PS4 and Xbox One multiplats. Nothing new.

It should just be expected that the One X will have improvements over the PS4 Pro.

Colbert

Banned
Did the Anniversary edition ever get a physical release on Xbox? Or just the vanilla version? I want to purchase it again but on disc.

if you already had the game digital you should have all the anniversary updates too.

Chaplain

While the Xbox One X is obviously more powerful than the Pro, many seem to forget that there is also a game like The Lost Legacy for example that came out for PS4 and Pro with beautiful, high resolution texturing all over the characters and the vast environments.

35988016414_00c2ffbf1c_o.png

I think the real case here is that the Xbox One X version gets a little more extra attention and care by the developers than both PC and PS4 Pro versions got.

Just thought I would chime in. That shot is from a non-interactive IGC (i.e., a cinematic that can be skipped from the pause menu). Chloe's model during interactive gameplay doesn't look like that: her model is a lot lower in graphic quality.

KageMaru

Of course you can compare. They are not completely alien to eachother.
Otherwise you couldn't compare any video game with another...

When video games are compared, it's usually different ports. How do you compare an exclusive, where the developers only need to focus on two versions of similar hardware, to a 3rd party game on a completely different engine, different budget, different priorities, different assets, different rendering demands, etc. running on dozens of different hardware configurations? I'm curious how you would make such a comparison.

This is a good point, although you can't compare Sony exclusives to MS, because one platform doesn't have any so i guess this will have to do for now.

You have got to be joking...

BigEmil

In all seriousness, it's gonna be the reverse of the beginning of this gen when DF was comparing PS4 and Xbox One multiplats. Nothing new.

It should just be expected that the One X will have improvements over the PS4 Pro.
Beginning of this gen was worser because

At launch, Xbox One was $100 more expensive than PS4 yet Xbox One versions was worser

Now in this case Xbox One X is $100 more expensive than PS4 Pro and is expectedly more powerful this time as you'd expect from a more expensive device

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see they are putting the work with access to more powerful hardware.

I can't help but think this won't happen that much with 3rd party games, though. Rise of the Tomb Raider is a bit of a special case with Microsoft.

o_O
If I didn't have three 144hz screens for my PC I would be pissed that I just bought a 1080ti less than 2 months ago. :/

Why would you even care? I played RotTR in 4K on my PC more than a year ago now. It was OK. I liked TR Reboot better. I'm trying to figure out why people are having heart attacks about a game that the fans played 1-2 years ago and which received a pretty lukewarm reception at that time. At this point I'm just waiting for Shadow of the Tomb Raider or whatever it's called now.

Kaydan

Banned
Because one game is getting textures that may be exclusive to one platform? I don't get statements like these. 99% of other multiplat games are either going to look better or at least on par with the pc version and will have have the benefits of higher frame rates and or ultrawide/sync technology which a 1080 ti can take advantage of.
You're right but I just wanted to point out that the One X supports freesync too.

Dynomutt

I can't even imagine November up in here.

Why wait till November idiots are already showing their ass in this thread...

Wow, this 1X version looks better than all Sony exclusives. I'm truly impressed.

We went from just wait to told you. We'll be back in a few years and a few years after that and a few after that...

These are threads that never end
They just go on and on my friends
Some people started posting it, not knowing what it was
And they'll continue posting it forever just because
These are threads that never end...

Posts like these don't really help though. You are just baiting.

Yup. Prepare for..

The King is back...

Power of X...

Hopefully MS releases a Xbox E (Discless) So we can have S-E-X boxes...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Pretty shit we PC gamers don't get the DE but whatever

PC Gaming has died more times than Wolverine at this point

etta

my hard graphic balls
I bet you Chobel’s account that you don’t make an Irish cream coffee as good as I do.

Duderino

I wouldn't use this game to compare CB quality since the same implementation isn't being used in both versions. They are using a temporal injection method on the 1X while the Pro is using CBR. We would need to see games like Anthem to tell how well each system handles CBR.

The checkboarding implementation with Anthem across platforms will not be identical either, but yes, EA will be attempting to emulate the Pro's methods through software.

How many 3rd party developers are realisticly going to put in that extra work though? That's why I don't think people should be jumping to conclusions just yet. But yeah, I do believe in other aspects the one x will easily trump the pro.

brawly

Gotta love the people bringing up their precious PS4 exclusives.

It'll be so fun to read these future threads as someone who will have both Pro and X.

belmonkey

and with vsync off on freesync/gsync screens, while the consoles versions forever will have insane input lag...

I'm talking about resolution and fps. On the GPU side of things, it currently looks like it will be pretty expensive hitting the same console-level performance of the X1X (when all that console performance is actually used).

snap

Banned
why are y'all bringing uncharted screens into here

y'all care too much about making a box full of computer parts look better than another box full of computer parts

You're right but I just wanted to point out that the One X supports freesync too.

That's actually very useful since freesync monitors are cheap. I'm not hating on the x1x. I think it's definitely going to find an audience. I just find it weird that someone would say they regretted buying a card that can play most games at 4k 60 fps or 1440p 100hz+ ultra quality with ease because one game has better textures.

KageMaru

Yes, it does. From the screenshot thread from the fully interactive photomode:

Gorgeous pictures but I still don't understand what LL has to do with this thread.

Pretty shit we PC gamers don't get the DE but whatever

PC Gaming has died more times than Wolverine at this point

We don't know if these updates will come over to other platforms yet, so I would hold off on jumping to any conclusions yet. I would hope the improved textures and improved AA would come to PC while HDR is pushed out to all platforms. I only have the PC version, so I really hope we see these improvements as well.

The checkboarding implementation with Anthem across platforms will not be identical either, but yes, EA will be attempting to emulate the Pro's methods through software.

How many 3rd party developers are realisticly going to put in that extra work though? That's why I don't think people should be jumping to conclusions just yet. But yeah, I do believe in other aspects the one x will easily trump the pro.

You're already jumping to conclusions though. You're also not understanding my point from before. Temporal injection is not the same as CBR used in the Pro's version of TR. However other games will use the same or similar implementation of CBR in both the Pro and 1X versions, so it'll be interesting to see how much the Pro version benefits from features like the ID buffer.

Regarding the chances of developers putting in the extra work for the 1X, I think it will come down to resources and how difficult it will be to implement those extras. I can't imagine adding higher resolution textures would be that difficult, especially if those higher quality assets already exist for the PC version. Even that alone could make a big difference. On top of that, if both versions use CBR, that would free up additional resources on the 1X allowing for higher quality effects and other improvements.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

brawly

If this comparison is anything to go by then the differences will be way bigger. As will the meltdowns be. 1080p vs 900p is peanuts compared to this.

RDR2 will bring grassgate 3.0

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm talking about resolution and fps. On the GPU side of things, it currently looks like it will be pretty expensive hitting the same console-level performance of the X1X (when all that console performance is actually used).

30fps with vsync on is shittier than 30fps with vsync off. it's not just about framerate and resolution ;)

ronco2000

The tables have finally turned. The downplay is now in full swing and the X hasn't even released yet.

Lawd.. it's going to be the red sea in GAF.

LOL seriously dude? One game that's has some added textures vs a port turned the table. Get out of here with that statement.

Leyasu

Banned
Why wait till November idiots are already showing their ass in this thread...

We went from just wait to told you. We'll be back in a few years and a few years after that and a few after that...

Yup. Prepare for..

The King is back...

Power of X...

Hopefully MS releases a Xbox E (Discless) So we can have S-E-X boxes...

Too much salt is bad for your health..

Anyway, console is a great bit of engineering. Can't wait to own it.

FZW

So you would rather compare Tomb Raider to Uncharted instead of Tomb Raider to Tomb Raider? Thats a fair comparison to you?

Formosa

Not sure why people are WOWing, the image quality on the PRO and Scorpio looks identical, they just added more effects for the Scorpio.

djnewwest

Banned
With these kinds of noticeable improvements between the 1X and Pro, I can see alot of backlash from 1X owners if other games like Destiny 2 and COD run and look the same as the PRO versions.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If this comparison is anything to go by then the differences will be way bigger. As will the meltdowns be. 1080p vs 900p is peanuts compared to this.

RDR2 will bring grassgate 3.0
I wonder if RDR 2 will have different sets of textures for the Pro and X.

Top Bottom