• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

rokkerkory

Is this a thread about Uncharted? I can't understand why there are pics of UC in here. I love that game too but come on.

tribal24

Banned
looks great, perfect step up hopefully we get like a game thats fully built for the xbox one X so we can what it looks like. Anthem will look amazing, I wouldn't even compare uncharted to this this is enough comparison same game. XBX looks technically better.

HotHamBoy

Gotta love the people bringing up their precious PS4 exclusives.

It'll be so fun to read these future threads as someone who will have both Pro and X.

Probably better to have a PS4 and a Switch. Less overlap, more to choose from.

I think people bring up exclusives because software sells consoles better than anything.

FLAguy954

AnimatedPNGs.com_1503768649553.png

I want that texture quality for my GTX 1070. Make it happen Nixxes.

MilkyJoe

With these kinds of noticeable improvements between the 1X and Pro, I can see alot of backlash from 1X owners if other games like Destiny 2 and COD run and look the same as the PRO versions.

I expect the resolution to be the biggest differentiator in a lot of multiplats. That and more grass...

Navid

I can't relate to that at all. Depth of field and other blurring effects are the second thing I immediately turn off in my PC games (the first being chromatic aberration.) Games are not movies, I enjoy being able to see the detail in a game world. My eyes can add depth of field by themselves just fine. Well-made object motion blur is the only type of effect that I think enhances a game's look.
Fair enough, to each their own...

I definitely have effects and such that I'd rather not have in my games as well such as heavy post processing that adds a overall blur to the whole image (recent Battlefield games do this a lot) or heavy use of chromatic aberration so I understand where you are coming from.

At least some devs are getting better about offering more choices on those fronts.

Nixxes really does continually do fantastic work.

Now that they are unshackled from Square Enix deals with AMD on the PC side hopefully they will be able to do better with the PC enhancements. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had a lot of technical issues because it was forced to be a Gaming Evolved title.

Duderino

You're already jumping to conclusions though. You're also not understanding my point from before. Temporal injection is not the same as CBR used in the Pro's version of TR. However other games will use the same or similar implementation of CBR in both the Pro and 1X versions, so it'll be interesting to see how much the Pro version benefits from features like the ID buffer.

Regarding the chances of developers putting in the extra work for the 1X, I think it will come down to resources and how difficult those extras will be to implement. I can't imagine adding higher resolution textures would be that difficult, especially if those higher quality assets already exist for the PC version. Even that alone could make a big difference. On top of that, if both versions use CBR, that would free up additional resources on the 1X allowing for higher quality effects and other improvements.

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Ah gotcha, must have brushed over that fact in the video. So let me ask you then, why do you think Tomb Raider does not use a similar checkerboarding method in the Xbox one X version? Nixis does have experience has implimented it before with the pro after all.

brawly

Probably better to have a PS4 and a Switch. Less overlap, more to choose from.

I think people bring up exclusives because software sells consoles better than anything.

Not if Nintendo games don't interest me. And the Xbox One is my multiplayer place.

What does sales have to do with this thread? And multiplat sell consoles just as well, why else do you think Sony locks down all those deals.

Dynomutt

Too much salt is bad for your health..

Anyway, console is a great bit of engineering. Can't wait to own it.

Salt? That's just a bad statement. No need to conflate the issue. This is a thread about ROTTR why are there Uncharted posts? This is a wider issue. HZD threads turn into Zelda threads. Forza turns into GT and vice versa. In reality one can exist while the other does as well and is prosperous. I'm implying that this has been and is a reoccurring issue.

Saying that:

This 1X version looks better than all Sony exclusives.

Is just nonsense and bait.

Threads getting derailed serve no purpose except to affirm the echo chamber hive mind set. Clarifying this looks really really good on it's own no need for fanboy pandering.

Tyaren

I just booted up the game. Chloe's in-game model is lower quality than your IGC shots.

Those are bad screens and you know it. ;) She's in the shadow, you are too far away to tell any detail and the screens are too small.
Look, here's a link to the screenshot thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421994&page=4

The very first picture on this page is taken by me, it is taken in-game, not during a cutscene and it differs in polygon count and texture detail in no way to the models in cutscenes of the game. The only thing that does differ is lighting and some added image post processing effects. That looks better in cutscenes, yes.

HotHamBoy

Not if Nintendo games don't interest me. And the Xbox One is my multiplayer place.

What does sales have to do with this thread? And multiplat sells consoles, why else do you think Sony locks down all those deals.

Locks down what deals? 1-month exclusivity for DLC? Please.

You're going to tell me Breath of the Wild didn't move the Switch? I know people that bought the PS4 just for Bloodborne, same with The Last of Us on PS3, same with Gears and Halo for XBOX.

I wonder if RDR 2 will have different sets of textures for the Pro and X.

You mean 4K textures for the X? That would be quite something for a game of that scale. Good thing is we know Rockstar bothered with the power 360 offered and that difference was easily noticeable too. So with that in mind i hope we can expect Rockstar to make use of that extra power again. They didn't really for GTA V remaster on PS4 and X1 though, did they?

Neith

Banned
Not if you want the best versions of the biggest games

If you want the best versions of the biggest games you will go PC. If you need a console with the best versions of the multiplats you have to buy into the Xbox ecosystem. Many are not going to do that because in fact the masses don't give a shit really.

Yes, the new Xbox is going to have slightly better looking games than the PS4 Pro. This is a known fact and has been known for ages. I think people are overestimating just how big these changes are going to be.

And you still don't have much for first party games, which is a major problem for convincing the masses to buy your system. The age of Halo and Gears is long gone.

Not if you want the best versions of the biggest games

That's why I have PC, for the best versions and it let's me have Xbox One games now too. Then my PS4 Pro and Switch cover everything else, no need for Xbox One X for me.

I'm sure the people that get an X will enjoy it though, it's a decent console but it's not something I need personally.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Those are bad screens and you know it. ;) She's in the shadow, you are too far away to tell any detail and the screens are too small.

The very first picture on this page is taken by me, it is taken in-game, not during a cutscene and it differs in polygon count and texture detail in no way to the models in cutscenes of the game. The only thing that does differ is lighting and some added image post processing effects. That looks better in cutscenes, yes.

It's kind of pointless to discuss any of this. Fact is that PS4 Pro is limited 5.5GB of RAM I believe for games while Xbox One X has 9GB available to games. So PS4 Pro has barely any extra RAM available compared to standard PS4, while Xbox One X has a lot more, making it possible to fill up that RAM with all those higher resolution textures that PS4 Pro won't be able to have no matter what, it doesn't have the extra RAM.

KageMaru

Ah gotcha, must have brushed over that fact in the video. So let me ask you then, why do you think Tomb Raider does not use a similar checkerboarding method in the Xbox one X version?

It's stated in the video that it isn't the same implementation. Looks like you may have brushed over a few facts in the video =p

Temporal injection is not the same as checkerboard rendering. The end goal is similar but the implementation and benefits/drawbacks are different.

Salt? That's just a bad statement. No need to conflate the issue. This is a thread about ROTTR why are there Uncharted posts? This is a wider issue. HZD threads turn into Zelda threads. Forza turns into GT and vice versa. In reality one can exist while the other does as well and is prosperous. I'm implying that this has been and is a reoccurring issue.

Saying that:

Is just nonsense.

Threads getting derailed serve no purpose except to affirm the echo chamber hive mind set. Clarifying this looks really really good on it's own no need for fanboy pandering.

Couldn't agree more.

Again, what does LL have to do with this thread?

Lt-47

I can't relate to that at all. Depth of field and other blurring effects are the second thing I immediately turn off in my PC games (the first being chromatic aberration.) Games are not movies, I enjoy being able to see the detail in a game world. My eyes can add depth of field by themselves just fine. Well-made object motion blur is the only type of effect that I think enhances a game's look.

No they can't. You can't focus/unfocus elements on a 2D plane, unless you'r using a VR headset obviously. Artists wouldn't bother with it in games, movies, photo and more if you could.

And even if you don't like it (which is fine) you can't deny the similarities between Movies and game cutscene

Gaenor

Banned
If you want the best versions of the biggest games you will go PC. If you need a console with the best versions of the multiplats you have to buy into the Xbox ecosystem. Many are not going to do that because in fact the masses don't give a shit really.

Yes, the new Xbox is going to have slightly better looking games than the PS4 Pro. This is a known fact and has been known for ages. I think people are overestimating just how big these changes are going to be.

And you still don't have much for first party games, which is a major problem for convincing the masses to buy your system. The age of Halo and Gears is long gone.

This is not a system for the masses, plain and simple.

Pjsprojects

Good god!

Maybe I won't upgrade my PC this year and I might skip PS4 Pro.

New plan. Buy X1X to replace X1S,Keep PS4 Slim & upgrade PC in a year!

Duderino

It's stated in the video that it isn't the same implementation. Looks like you may have brushed over a few facts in the video =p
Now I'm confused, I just admitted that. So I ask again, why temporal injection for the Xbox one x version, given Nixis' experience with cherboarding on the pro?

HotHamBoy

This is not a system for the masses, plain and simple.

Which is all I've been saying.

People will buy it, it has an audience, but it isn't going to change MS's position this gen.

Sony changed their postion last gen through first party software releases that really got strong starting in 2011.

The game is running at twice the resolution though, and the only effect that seems reduced is dof.
All of that on top of a native res that's double the res than pro ;)
No it isn't. CBR is the same resolution as native, just achieved in a faster but less precise manner.

And the enriched mode is running at 2 times the resolution too.
No it isn't. Though evidently not using CBR, the temporal method surely equates, meaning resolution is 4x the Pro, though less precise per pixel.

2 personal opinions are not considered by DF about the quality of a game
This is false. Besides the objective metrics, they constantly offer personal, subjective opinions about the games they analyze.

In two years this will all be obsolete

At any rate, if you want the best performance you pick the XBX.

If you want the most high quality games you pick a PS4. Sony's console exclusives this year have been bananas.
This is a tech thread. Please take this elsewhere.

It's also really funny to see all the guys that couldn't see the difference between Xbone and ps4 upgrades for the last 3 years suddenly find the smallest details so visually apparent and such a big deal lol.
The textures on One X are not "the smallest details". They contribute a great deal to the quality of the final image.

What isngood about depth of field? It jut adds blurriness to me
Do you also hate AA? Because that just adds blurriness.

The tables have finally turned. The downplay is now in full swing and the X hasn't even released yet.

Lawd.. it's going to be the red sea in GAF.
I can't even imagine November up in here.
It'll be so fun to read these future threads as someone who will have both Pro and X.
In the Roman Colosseum, who was more pathetic and weak? The gladiators engaged in combat, or the cynical audience with their cheers for vicarious bloodshed?

If you're going to make it us versus them, at least do it about something important. Like this:
I bet you Chobel’s account that you don’t make an Irish cream coffee as good as I do.
That's a man who gets it.

Played the game on the Pro. It looked great. Comes as absolutely no surprise that the X has a better version - the hardware is more powerful.

I have no intention of buying the X, but I don't see why people can't admit that the version looked markedly better.

HotHamBoy

Played the game on the Pro. It looked great. Comes as absolutely no surprise that the X has a better version - the hardware is more powerful.

I have no intention of buying the X, but I don't see why people can't admit that the version looked markedly better.

I think it looks better!

anothertech

I'm almost 100% sure that the perceived lower texture quality on the PC is because there's no DOF on the Xbox.
They added texture upgrades plain and simple. The Dof gives the illusion of clearer backgrounds, but look at the dirt on the skin and the particle effects vs the pc ultra mode.

Most of these updated visuals have nothing to do with hardware capability apparently.

Gaenor

Banned

People will buy it, it has an audience, but it isn't going to change MS's position this gen.

Sony changed their postion last gen through first party software releases that really got strong starting in 2011.

Of course! But this is a tech thread about RotTR on Xbox X and PS4 Pro, nothing more.

Honestly I see this more as an upgrade for existing Xbox One owners than something to attract new customers.

And lol at both sides in this thread.

In two years when PS5 is out the pendulum will swing again. And of course Xbox One X games will look better than Pro games - it's $500, came out midway through the generation, and it has the advantage of more system resources. Why does it have to be a big deal? It doesn't devalue your purchase. If anything, existing Xbox One owners should be the ones outraged, they had to spend the beginning of this generation with lackluster multiplatform titles (in terms of IQ anyways).

c0de

That's why I have PC, for the best versions and it let's me have Xbox One games now too. Then my PS4 Pro and Switch cover everything else, no need for Xbox One X for me.

I'm sure the people that get an X will enjoy it though, it's a decent console but it's not something I need personally.

Spending so much money is rare, though.

Top Bottom